January 3rd, 2008

For Clinton in Iowa - The party is over

ALT TEXT
CNN's Mike Roselli captured the mood at camp Clinton Thursday night.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – Long after the local and national TV outlets had turned away from her headquarters, Hillary Clinton was still going.

She worked the stage full of supporters that had assembled behind her. She hugged and shook hands with prominent backers such as Madeleine Albright and Terry McAuliffe and stopped to talk with Iowa surrogates who had become constants on her travels across the state. One woman decked out in full AFSCME regalia commanded the senator's attention until they were practically alone on the stage.

Sen. Clinton descended from the stage and worked the remaining fans pressed against the bunting clad ropeline, posing for pictures and signing autographs. She outlasted President Clinton, not one ever to leave a ropeline early.

Once the candidate had exited the ballroom, the campaign soundtrack looped for the umpteenth time as supporters milled about picking up signs, swilling beer, and posing for pictures at the podium where their candidate had just spoken.

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Marcelo - Albuquerque NM

I'm glad to see that there are people who believe that change is still possible in our politics. I know, like many, I was disillusioned with the current political atmosphere. The bickering, the deep rooted partisanship, the mudslinging and the underhanded slights. The baby-boomer generation has made their mark on the world, both very positive (e.g. the expansion of civil rights, the fall of communism, the establishment of an environmental regulatory agency, the growth of the middle class, etc) and negative. But their political strategies and agendas have run their course and the world has changed.

Senator Obama represents the hope of a new generation. He understands that America is weary and broken. He is offering us a chance to change ourselves. After following Mr. Obama for years, I have watched him ascend as a viable presidential candidate by transcending the established political scene and bringing new and refreshing energy. He has called for accountability and transparency in the government, for honesty in leadership and most importantly, a change in us. He has asked us to put down our petty disagreements over personal issues and put the nation and the world's needs before our own.

If you believe in change; If you believe that America needs to move into a new era of unification; And if you believe that each person can make difference, please support Barack Obama with your words and your actions.

January 4, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  2. Michael in CA

Go Hillary! You are not down and def. not out. Barack had no intention in running in 2004, but as soon as people said he should run all of a sudden things changed for him. Hillary has the experience and stedfastness that is needed in our country. Barack talks a good talk but can he deliver? I don't think so because unlike Hillary he hasn't voted for things to appease people, juct chek out his record in the Illinois State Legislature. I am a Hillary fan and once you hear her in person you will know she means business and will get the job done!

January 4, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  3. Elly Munyi

Both Hillary and Barack are very brilliant and engaging people. But Barack certainly comes out as more authentic. He speaks from the heart and 'feels' people.

I think if elected, Barack Obama would be such a stunning fresh look that the rest of the world would pause and take a redeeming look at the the US. Hillary is about same old American power. Barack is about American dynamism. In Africa thats how people feel.

I wish the man well in NH.

January 4, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  4. Chris H. Kansas

Three note-worthy points:

- Obama needed Iowa more than Clinton; she enjoys a greater national following

- The under-thirty turnout in Iowa tonight was greater than expected and will lose steam as the primary process continues

- Bill Clinton lost Iowa and New Hampshire in 1992 and George 'W' Bush lost Iowa in 1988, yet both became president in those same years.

January 4, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  5. Real Texan, Royse City, Texas

I always disagreed with 80% of her politics, but I admire her strength.

January 4, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  6. Mati

Hillary '08!

What's the problem? Iowa will send 1.3% to the national convention. Let's be serious.

January 4, 2008 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  7. Charles in Salt Lake City, UT

Recorded just a short time ago:

POP!
    fisshhhh…
    glubglubglubglub…
    (sip) "Mmmmm…"
    (Sigh.) "Ah. Yesssss…"

All you Hillary lovers, that was the sound of all us Hillary loathers — celebrating.

Get used to it.

January 4, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  8. mother of two

Everything is changing – fast , no matter what. America needs a leader who is alert, intelligent and noble. Good job Iowa! Obama '08!

January 4, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  9. Joe Ossai, Bedford, NH

Hillary goodnight, you are done for. I'm happy voters in Iowa saw you for the fraud you are. What a fake.

Go away, you make me sick

January 4, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  10. Trang, Fremont CA

Sorry, Hillary. I know you spent most of your time in politics. Being Bill's wife while he was president gave you some idea what presidents encounter on a daily basis.

There are two things about you that turned me off. One is your position on Iraq and Iran. Perhaps you tried to sound tough like the Republicans. The other is you called Obama naive when he suggested he would speak to foreign leaders even when he considers them foe.

Not that I am against the Democratic party. I am simply against the war – and if you become the Democratic nominee, this war will drag on. Actually, I am not sure where you stand on this issue anymore. It seems you change your stand everyday.

I am sure you are smart and capable – It's just that you are not a very good communicator. I have a better understanding of where you stand when Bill explains it than when you explain it. On the flip side, Obama is a powerful speaker. Don't feel bad, Hillary. Obama is one of the kind.

January 4, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  11. WomanWithHope

I HAVE WISHED SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL. One day I and follow woman in the United States can DARE to DREAM of becoming the president of this glorious country that I was born in.

HILLARY HAS GIVEN ME HOPE AND THE STRENGTH TO DREAM. Obama’s talks about hope unfortunately don't have the same magic as Hillary.

I was fortunate enough to be raised in a THIRD WORLD COUNTY with a WOMAN PRIME MINISTER for 17years and have watched every girl in that county believe that they have a chance of becoming Prime Minister of that country.

IN THE MOST PROSPROUS COUNTY IN THE WORLD TODAY and where people of people think their country is the best place for independent minded women to live, I would like to see a WOMAN PRESIDENT. I THINK THAT WILL GIVE THE SAME CHANCE FOR A GIRL IN THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA HAVE THE SAME KIND OF ROLE MODEL AND THE SAME KIND OF BELIF THAT THERE IS HOPE AS GIRL IN A THRID WORLD COUNTY.
    HILLARY IS MY HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  12. Joseph, IL

Is this news at all?

January 4, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  13. Antoinette

Keep on going Hillary! Iowa does not represent reflect the rest of the states. We are waiting for you in California!!!!

January 4, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  14. Snappy Mc Snap Snap

Ohh..Snap!

January 4, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  15. sabrina

Right now Barack Obama is the media darling. Now that he's won in Iowa, the harsher spotlight will shine on him, and his flaws and inadequacies will come to the forefront. My money is still on Hillary to win the nomination. Barack is not ready for "the show" yet.

January 4, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  16. Chris

For everyone whose favorite candidate either won or lost, today's results are interesting, but they only tell us what the people in Iowa think. In bits and pieces it will all come together as we hear from the rest of the nation.

I'm interested to see how this will all pan out.

January 4, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  17. nathan

Edwards is in her way!

Hillary and Edwards need to make a deal .... or both wont be in Washington

January 4, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  18. Lilly

I have yet to hear a substantial and solid reason why Hillary does not qualify for the job. She is the candidate I have the most trust in. Everyone will say that her experience illustrates her ties to the establishment and her unpreparedness for change, but I think her experience clearly shows her ability not only to bring change about, but to offer the American public a new and positive direction in light of realistic goals and planning. Clinton shows a great aptitude for organization and she is very intelligent. I hope she gets the nomination.

January 4, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  19. Derek

Hillary will get a sweeping victory in NH and majority of the other states. Obama has no experience in anything and is all talk.

January 4, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  20. girrlgil, sanfrancisco

Kudos Hillary for 3rd place. It was a tuff caucus. As much I know you are fighter, I would also suggest you drop out ASAP. Don't waste time sweeheart.

January 4, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  21. Becky

Hard to say but I am surprised that Barack won in Iowa. I thought Hillary was a shoe in for sure. I am a Barack supporter but we shall see what happens in New Hampshire next week, just because you win in Iowa doesnt lmean you'll win in N.H.

Good Luck Barack.

Obama & Clinton for the White House in 08!

January 4, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  22. Demi

I think Hillary will rebound on the East Coast in NH. I hope so – Obama will be a great VP!

January 4, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  23. New York

Hey Jacob – since you love Hillary so much, take her to Canada with you.

January 4, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  24. Rob

Hillary got her butt handed to her – she found it was too heavy a load

January 4, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  25. Aidyn

Hillary I will stand by you until the end!

January 4, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |