January 3rd, 2008

For Clinton in Iowa - The party is over

ALT TEXT
CNN's Mike Roselli captured the mood at camp Clinton Thursday night.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – Long after the local and national TV outlets had turned away from her headquarters, Hillary Clinton was still going.

She worked the stage full of supporters that had assembled behind her. She hugged and shook hands with prominent backers such as Madeleine Albright and Terry McAuliffe and stopped to talk with Iowa surrogates who had become constants on her travels across the state. One woman decked out in full AFSCME regalia commanded the senator's attention until they were practically alone on the stage.

Sen. Clinton descended from the stage and worked the remaining fans pressed against the bunting clad ropeline, posing for pictures and signing autographs. She outlasted President Clinton, not one ever to leave a ropeline early.

Once the candidate had exited the ballroom, the campaign soundtrack looped for the umpteenth time as supporters milled about picking up signs, swilling beer, and posing for pictures at the podium where their candidate had just spoken.

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Aislinn

I am surprised by all this focus on experience (Hillary) vs. change (Obama). While experience is a component to be considered, it is not the end all and be all, as I think Iowans clealry demonstrated last night. I once asked my father what made Kennedy such a good president. He responded that Kennedy had the intelligence and confidence to surround himself with intelligent people who were not yes men and gave good counsel. I see Hillary surrounding herself with yes women and firing anyone that does not agree with her (including Bill); I see Obama doing as Kennedy did. So, despite of my strong desire to see a woman in the White House, and my indecisiveness at times about whom to support, after carefully watching, listening and reading, no doubt, Obama is hands down the best choice. Way to go Iowa!

January 4, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  2. survivormon

I think little interest has been given to the power of the baby-boomers in our nation. Being an adult, with adult wisdom will serve Hillary in the long run. Sorry but watching Barak last night was like watching a bunch of kids at a pep rally. I realize that we have put most kids in charge of the jungle, but do we need to put a kid in charge of our country also??

If change is a coming, then the media needs to change also. Most reporters are to busy trying to make the news instead of reporting it. It seems like every little thing Hillary does is reported as negative; while Barak can't seem to do anything wrong in the medias' eyes. Is it the people who are picking the president, or the news media?

January 4, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  3. Teresa

I think careful consideration should be given of each candidate and while all have honerable convictions, I believe experience should be given priority over a dream to change the system. Granted, I am not sure what the candidates plan to change or how they plan to accomplish this which makes it difficult to pick a candidate at this time. The United States is run by a Congress and Senate with a President who is able to focus to bring the country together for the sake of the country.

Let's go back to 1976 when Jimmy Carter was elected President, whereas, he was an outstanding and intelligent individual well beyond his time was unable to rally Congress, the Senate or the country as he did not have the experience; therefore, unable to accomplish any of his dreams or convictions. He has done many great things since, however, he was not the person to follow the Nixon years and I am not convinced Obama is the person to follow the Bush years with his dreams of change and lack of experience.

January 4, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. andrew k, RI

i think the "ready for change" theme from the hillary camp is great !

i think this country is ready for change, and that is why people are voting for

BARACK OBAMA instead of hillary...

hillary, stop trying to kid yourself and i hope you really do not think the public is this stupid to believe your the candidate who represents change. its almost embarrassing.

i could see defeat in your husbands eyes last night.

obama 08

January 4, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Whether you like or dislike Hilliary or Obama, stop killing the democrat party if you are a true democrat. Stand together because we have supporters in the republican and independent parties.

January 4, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. Alim

I have great trouble getting to grips with Clinton's key pillar being experience. She touts that because she was first lady, has done some charity work abroad, and had conversations with commanders (probably during tea parties) that she herself is endowed with foreign expertice. If your spouse was cheating with you in a very national and international media catching manner, I'm sure you wouldn't be on speaking terms. And what kind of expertice would you get from a conversation? Anyway, in my view, this is a hollow pillar.

I also have issue with her voting record. The country seems wants change, however, Clinton has consitently voted in a republican manner e.g. Iraq war, Patriot Act, and No Child Left Behind. The NCLB act has failed. The Patriot Act went way futher into the private lives than allowed and is therefore illegal, and the Iraq War, costing almost $10billion a month. I only see more mistakes coming from this person and therefore I hope you choose someone less republican on the Democratic ticket.

She's a great pollitican, but obviously would be more of the same as president.

January 4, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  7. Walt, Belton, TX

Just maybe you can't buy the Presidency.

January 4, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  8. Carole CA

By the way, Matt, Hillary did not make a "poor showing" and neither did Edwards, so all your hee-hawing may be a bit premature. In terms of delegates to the national election, Obama picked up 16, Hillary 15, and Edwards 14. Pretty impressive for all three and certainly not a mandate for Obama. In addition, Edwards finished 1/2 % point above Hillary, so those numbers indicate a basic tie for second place. All 3 top candidates head into New Hampshire with strong momentum. Obama's results aren't that impressive, especially for someone who out-spent the other candidates by several million dollars on ads to saturate Iowa's tv stations, who's oratorical skills sent his rally audiences into a frenzy, who campaigned beside a popular talk-show hostess, and who has enjoyed CNN's Obama-biased reporting.

So the Iowa caucuses are over and now Obama faces the fight of his life. He has not yet been able to provide a clear, specific agenda for the "change" he says he wants to bring to the nation, something the other candidates have done so well. Voters are listening to all the candidates. They also already know, or soon will know that, in a general election, Obama is unelectable and will be eaten alive by the Republicans. He doesn't have the substance, experience, guts, or strength to stand up to them as Hillary and Edwards do.

God Speed, Hillary and John!!

January 4, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. Jaluo

I agree with Kerry. The caucus process is a joke. Thank God that is not how we elect a president.

Dr. Ogbonnia – The PRESS!!! This is killing her. The other day I read something in CNN about Bill becoming a supreme court justice if Hillary became president – Heavens!! now tell me if that is not PURE SPECULATION ON THE PART OF THE PRESS TO SCARE PEOPLE????

Another thing I want to point out is that we should not forget the Clinton haters especially those who switch parties to vote as independent against Hillary.

Senator Edward – what was that all about not acknowledging your opponents in your speech especially not congratulating Obama?? (MUST HAVE HURT A LOT!!)

January 4, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  10. Trenton

I am an African American Male i must say a vote for barack hussein obama is a mistake. I can not wait until michigan hillary clinton will fight back and win.

January 4, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Tom, New York, NY

Way to go Obama..... I congratulate you on doing a good job in Iowa.....the end result was one more delegate than Hillary and two more than John Edwards (and since Hillary had more superdelegates, you still technically lose the state to her)....but you did a good campaign.... it gets tougher from here on out....and the spotlight now shifts to you... good luck.... we'll see what you are really made of... not just speeches anymore....

and congrats also to John and Hillary..... this will be interesting from here on out...

January 4, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

Congratulations to Barack Obama. Though, having said that, since when is Iowa a predictor of who will end up winning the nomination? Taking out all incumbents, Kerry in 2004 was the only one in recent history.

Let's not forget that Bill Clinton didn't even caucus in IA, came in second place in NH, didn't win anything until GA and he still won the nomination.

This is just the beginning, there are 49 other states out there and I trust that experience will win out over vapid empty promises and sheer charisma.

Chin up Hillary supporters, the battle has just begun!!!!!!

January 4, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. Geri Sacramento

Obama has skeletons in his closet that Republican Swiftboaters will find and exploit to bring him down.

January 4, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  14. Bill W - PA

Candidate for change? No. Hillary is "more of the same".

She won't ever give a straight answer on anything. First she voted for the Iraq war, then says she's against it. First she said she wanted to give driver's licenses to illegal aliens, then said she never said that. She can't even decide what name she should use – when she didn't want to be too close to Bill, it was Hillary Rodham Clinton. Now that she's running for president and wants to be associated with Bill, its just Hillary Clinton – no more Rodham.

Change? Yes – she changes her public opinions and views every time there is a new poll based on what people want to hear. What a PHONY. She will never get my vote.

I just wish she had to give up her senate seat to run – then we wouldn't have to put up with her as president or as a senator any more, either.

January 4, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  15. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

Hey Lori!!!

You're from New Jersey and you're calling us Iowan's out as not being intelligent?
    OMG, you are FUNNY! You must not know much about the Iowa Education system.

BTW, Hillary supporters, don't kid yourself, Hillary spent A LOT of time here courting us all for the caucus, years in fact. It didn't work and Iowa is INDEED a good representation of the wave of political energy in this country. Hillary is NOT as liked and respected across this nation, nor is she the "Needed One" as she tells you she is.

I loved watching Bill try to fake a smile while Hillary was proclaiming her wonderful fake win (another lie). "Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!" We did it!She proclaimed. Yeah right, Hill. Did what? Came in 3rd?! Boy, I would have loved to have been a mouse in the corner listening to her blast Iowa last night after spending years telling us how much she love us. Sorry, Hillary, Iowan's are smart enough to see through you (note that, Lori).

Food for thought, you're obviously not intelligent or you would know that Obama is not a Muslim. Nice try at another lie.

January 4, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  16. Fernando

Anyone but Hilary.

January 4, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  17. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

See all those banners on the floor? My fav candidates (1 Rep and 1 Dem) ran OUT of those because so many supporters took them home. Hillary's supporters just littered the floor with her trash.

Telling, isn't it?

January 4, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  18. ammeh, las vegas

Mariann Pepitone:

I'd trust a professor-turned-congressman who has a record of civil service over the queen of the Clinton dynasty, imho.

By the way, get your facts straight. You are woefully incorrect.

January 4, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  19. Liz

The Iowans spoke loud and clear.
    We need to save our democracy from the Bush or Clinton dynasty.

Hillary will do whatever she wants after she is elected. She is more interested in herself than the country. I cannot trust her with our democracy even before this talk about appointing Bill as supreme justice. She is not the role model for women.

The matter of the fact is that any elected candidate will do whatever they wish after the election. Therefore, you have to be able to trust your candidate.

I can trust Richardson, Obama, McCain, Ron Paul and Romney.
    If Hillary is nominated by chance, I will vote Republican or Independent.

If Huckabee is nominated, I will vote anybody but Hillary.
    I can't stand a preacher in the White House, period.
    I would rather take a Mormon or a Muslim as long as he or she isn't a preacher.

If Ron Paul runs as Independent, I will vote for him.
    He is the brightest of all. He has the integrity and character to be our president.
    He is the one president that can really solve our decades old problems such as social security, monetary policies, government spending, etc.

He is running to serve our country, not for his personal ambition. I respect him.

January 4, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  20. ABB

One of the legacies of G.W. Bush is his ability to "divide" the country (the gret "Uniter") . The Clinton loathers / haters comments have become irrelevant. We are getting to the point of reality here, folks, and your rhetoric is becoming VERY tiring. I am no Hillary fan, but it seems that we are missing the point. Look at the positive aspects of these candidates, and the prospects for immediate change for the GOOD of our country with your vote. Americans are better than all the pettiness shown in these hateful comments.

January 4, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  21. Diane, Whitestone, New York

An Open Letter to Hillary Clinton: Just some thoughts here….remember when John Kerry ran and won the Democratic nomination? Did not people think of him as John F. Kennedy-esque? Even his initials were the same: JFK…and he was Catholic too! But he (Kerry) wound up really without a platform and too slow to respond to swift boating attacks. Now we have Obama who some have been comparing to JFK (Kennedy, not Kerry). What is it about John F. Kennedy that people want back again, and look for similarities in Obama and Kerry? Perhaps John F. Kennedy was a “speechifier” as Obama is? I remember John F. Kennedy saying "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." He turned the way of thinking back then upside down. He represented change. Obama represents change, but I don’t think he has a platform (of substance) either. Maybe Hillary should talk more about the positive changes she hopes for, instead of a hard, crass, most electability stance. Talk more about how you would like to see this country change, Hillary. But don’t talk about hopes that seem a bit far fetched. Plausible hopes.

I also think she has been a bit too overcautious. Talking about hopes kinda gives you license to let your guard down, and become ordinary like us.

Don’t use Bill too much on the stump. People don’t want to think your presidency will be a puppet presidency with Bill as the puppet master. Bill was a great president, but you can’t repeat the past. You can build your future with the best of your past experience, but you don’t want to repeat the past. You don’t want four years living Ground Hog Day.

Maybe, if circumstances dictate so, point out Obama’s votes in the Senate that were “present” and neither a “yes” nor “no.” Compare that to the “yes” and “no” votes you decided on and explain why it was a yes or no. I think Obama has a lot to explain why he just said present.

I think Hillary will be our nominee in the end. Iowa is just the beginning. And remember, these are just my thoughts.

January 4, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  22. Ca Native

I sincerely hope Republicans show up in droves to vote for Obama! Hillary losing New Hampshire will be the death-nail to her political campaign.

As a staunch conservative – I would much rather bare an Obama Presidency than Clinton (again)!

January 4, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  23. pam Eugene OR

Today is a happy day in America. Iowa made me proud.
    Bye Bye HRC and don't let the door hit your big butt on the way out. I pray you will drop out soon so I don't have to hear more lies from you.
    I will vote for Obama with pride and joy. I think an Obama/Edwards ticket would be a winner in 08.

January 4, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  24. Cindy

"Just maybe you can't buy the Presidency."

Factcheck Walt: Obama has as much or more money than Clinton and he actually spent more of that money in Iowa. Do your research before you post. That being said, I don't subscribe to the notion that he "bought" his win. He won, but it isn't over yet. Stay tuned and stay informed.

January 4, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  25. scott

Looks like the fat lady just sang !!!

Give it up Hillary, your rustic husband just dragged you down.

January 4, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |