January 3rd, 2008

Huckabee, Romney lead GOP delegate count

CNN is projecting this split of Iowa's 37 Republican delegates, based on tonight's results:

Mike Huckabee: 17, Mitt Romney: 12, Fred Thompson: 3, John McCain: 3, Ron Paul: 2

Filed under: Iowa
  1. F.G.

of course hucklebee won. he is the best and also the choice of God. and he has chuck norris work with him who is a true beast. "slaughter in san fransisco" is a very good movie. also did you see the episode of texas ranger where he fought the crooked truck driver and whupped him and then a crocodile came out and chuck whupped him too? that was a good episode. overall i think that micky hucklebee is the man and will destroy everyone because he has God and Norris in his corner and you cant mess with that.

January 4, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. capnmike

Beyond understanding how ANYBODY could vote for a religio-nutcase like Huckabee...the LAST thing we need in the White House right now is another bible-whacking idiot who bases his life and policies on fairy-tales and lies. This guy is dangerous. We are already sinking into the toilet of international distain because Bush thinks he is on some kind of " holy mission" to force our way of life on other people who just plain don't want it. Peoples' rights to choose whether they want children or not, our rights to privacy, the legal framework of America, are all being destroyed, and here is another idiot "on a mission". We need a Statesman, and someone of common sense and social conscience, not some phony church-peddler.

January 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. JC in IL

What do evangelicals have to do with a Baptist minister? I thought religion didn't matter in the election.

January 4, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

So much for all of the Ron Paul supporters claims. People have become used to much being done by the federal government. I personally like the interstate highway system (without the federal government to support it, it would take a lot longer to get around). I am waiting to see how much egg they are taking off their face.

January 4, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  5. Joseph, Grand Rapids, MI

Mitt Romney while coming in second last night is right where he needs to be. Huckabee has not had to face the constant attacks that Romney has this past year and now Huckabee will really have to face his record here. He has played the religion card in Iowa, but that will only play to a small percentage of the Republican field. Romney is much more middle of the road and can unite more conservatives than Huckabee. Romney is still in the game and many are going to be quite surprised when he gets the nomination. Romney still has my vote because he is the one who can defeat the democrats in November. Romney has the money and the organization to not only stay in the game, but win it. Lets see if Huckabee can hide from his record now.

January 4, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. Mike, D.C.

I'm actually impressed Romney managed to pick up as much support as he did in this heavily evangelical state. It wasn't the resounding victory he was hoping for, but pulling a close second on a rival's home turf is no mean feat. As Iowa splits their delegates, Romney actually pulled 12 delegates to Huckabee's 17- only a 5 delegate trail out of the hundreds either candidate would need to secure the primary nomination.

The importance of Huckabee's success here will be decided down the line- he now has to make good in some uphill struggles on other people's turf, otherwise he is simply weakening Romney to give McCain or Guliani a better chance at the nomination. It would be tragicomic if the evangelical vote disliked Romney's Mormonism so much that they inadvertently pushed Guliani into the lead- a man who hardly espouses their cherished core values.

January 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. John Manzi

I am a Massachusetts Independant who is most concerned with the following issues, in order :The Economy, Foreign Polilcy (particularly the middle east, i.e. Iraq, Iran and Pakastan), Imigration, Education and health care.

After thoroughly researching each condidate (for the past year), I decided to join Team MITT. He is the ONLY candidate who is actually talking about policy and providing solutions. MittRomney.com clearly outlined his plans for illegal immigration, plans to eliminate wasteful spending, plans to deliver affordable health care WITHOUT raising taxes (He did this in Massachusetts, the most liberal state in the union), plans to enhance education as well as plans to attack many other problems facing this great nation. I strongly recommend visiting MittRomney.com for more information

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO THINK MITT ROMNEY IS OUT OF THE RACE, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!!! If Mitt is in fact out of the race, then tell me who the front runners are! Huckabee ?? (3% of caucus goers in Iowa who don't think religion is important, i.e NH and every other state in the union). Guliani ?? (4% in Iowa). McCain ?? (13% in Iowa, 4th place)

The moral on Team Mitt is higher than ever. That NH trail is already a'blazin and we are all reporting for duty! I suggest you do the same.
    The trail in NH is already a' blazin !!

January 4, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  8. Pippen, Arlington VA

Ron Paul polled at 7.3% on average in Iowa (RealClearPolitics). He got 10% of the vote in Iowa. What's with the demeaning posts? He exceeded poll numbers by 37%! That's good news where I come from. Especially in a state that lives off of government handouts.

January 4, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. John Manzi

Well Put Jonathan Sedall, regarding flip-floping. Mitt has addressed the flip-floping accusations time and time again. In fact, he has the entire media traveling with him. The liberal media is surely grilling him day in and day out. If you haven't heard his response to these accusations, you can be confident his reasons for slightly changing views is acceptable, or else you would have heard quite a bit about it from the media. It's not like Mitt was ever a strong advocate for upholding roe vs wade. I would say he was on the fence. After his stem cell research, he realized life does in fact begin at conception. With that said, he is now on the Pro-Life side. Romney's voting record while Governor supports where he currently stands.

Like Jonathan said in his previous post, Mitt was Governor of a very liberal state. By coming to the middle on certain issues, Mitt proves he is not one to Shove his policies down your throat. He gives the people what they want. HE is CLEAR about the platform he is running on (which is more than I can say for most the candidates, including Huckabee). If he wins, it's clear what the people want

All one has to do is list the issues that are most important to himself. Then see where each candidate stands on these issues (not just what they say now, but how they voted while in public office, and what their plan is currently to attack the problems facing this nation). Mike Huckabee can't be telling everyone he is tough on crime after commuting the sentences of 12 murderers, and 1000 other criminals. Romney NEVER commuted a sentence while governor of MA.

Mitt's track record is impeccable. I was not a Romney guy 5 years ago. I voted democrat in many elections. After seeing what Mitt did with the mess he inherited in my state, MA, I am convinced he is the only man for the big gig in Washington

January 4, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. Duncan, Richmond, VA

The fact that so many people are so quick to bash Ron Paul shows just how much trouble this country is in. Trying to adhere to the Constitution, ie, the LAW, appear to be ground for the un-Americans to laugh at his 10%.

It is pathetic that we have come to this as a nation. Where most happily support those who care little for our freedoms and liberties. That they support candidates that agree with waging war, spending billions on foreign aid, building up unstable dictatorships, interfering with other countries, that they are ok with the Patriot Act or the RealID Act..

Just what is wrong with bring our troops home? Or getting rid of the biggest crooks in the country – the Fed reserve? What is wrong with reducing the government and getting rid of the IRS? What is wrong with stopping the use of our taxes to pay Israel 3 billion a year for nothing? Or balancing the budget so we do not owe China a trillion dollars?

By all means, don't support him.. that is your right.. but to mock him for being the only honest candidate who believes in our original values, is un-American.

January 4, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  11. Bob, Seattle

Mr. Huckabee continues to defy the 'odds' as expressed by the main stream media and the cable networks. WHY?

Because he actually talks with you and me. He is the intimate candidate. He is not afraid to appear on the Bill Mahr (ulta liberal) show, Jay Leno, CNN, MSNBC. He openly receives and gives accepted responses to questions challenging the role of religion in politics. He openly receives and gives accepted responses to his record in Arkansas.

He has a very well grounded moral foundation (which the vast majority of Americans, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists HAVE to respect and indeed, are starved for) from which to approach the problems facing everyday people.

He continually shows the ability to engage and transcend all political and religious alienating simple agendas by receiving the questions and giving well thought out, acceptable answers without being wowed by himself.

He truly promotes the idea of 'serving' the folks. He truyly promotes the idea of becoming greater by becoming lesser. He alone is able to get across to the folks that he is 'in it' for them. That he is truly 'one of them'.

Mr. Huckabee truly represents a welcome change to the established fraternity that is Washington D.C. and the media experts. He truly represents a change from the all time low ratings of Congress.

America is truly gripped by a 'throw the bums out' mentality. What a refreshingly different approach Mr. Huckabee brings to America. The way is is supposed to be. America will be well served by a McCain/Huckabee ticket.

Good luck fellas. America needs you. The world needs you.

January 4, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  12. Karen Tyler

I trusted Iowa to vote with their minds on the Republican side, but many voted for spite! What you spend to get the word out is not relevant to the content of your message or your qualifications.

This vote is for President of the USA, a complicated and powerful position, not Student Body President at Cedar Falls High School.

Voting for spite is self-defeating behavior and Iowa Republicans shot themselves in the foot last night.

January 4, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. Jake, Holly Springs, NC

John Manzi – I couldn't have put it better myself. My family is pulling for Mitt down here in North Carolina. Can't wait for the primaries here!

Bob, Seattle – Huckabee can transcend all political and religious boundaries? What Kool-aid are you drinking? All you've said is that Huckabee gives you a "warm fuzzy" feeling inside. Look at his record, not so warm and fuzzy and certainly doesn't reflect Republican ideals. Look out Republicans – if this guy or McCain gets any farther, you are going to have a massive abandonment of the party. Be warned!

January 4, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  14. Rafael Richmond Virginia

You mean Ron Paul didn't won! I tought all the polls pointed to him! lol I saw them on-line all the time...lol. I don't know man I don't come to terms with Romney , Still don't like Huckabee more for his Religious background, Thompson looks like he is running on empty altough I like him some, Ron Paul is a clown, McCaine I like alot and I am still thinking he wont be so bad and very honest and what a American he has been but, my biggest issue is imigration and Terror and I just dont want amnesty so McCaine is out and that leaves me with the only choice of Rudy who if in my ballot or in the race come election Feb 8 I think in VA or Feb 5 is who I am voting for if not then it will have to be McCaine and if not either of those win then bring Bloomberg baby!!!!!

January 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. Derek

Well, Paul may not have had the impact he was looking for in Iowa but 10% is nothing to sneeze at. He won Jefferson County and got 2 delegates in total. As a Paul supporter, I was hoping for him to do better but knowing how Iowa trends, it's not that bad. I'm not happy about the result but far from being upset, I have hope that the results will come in a matter of time. Next stop is NH and we all know how they trend. Paul will show his strength in NH and he can sneak in the top 3. However, I want to congratulate my dear Iowan friends who backed Huckabee and Obama and just say that democracy has won in Iowa. I did predict Obama and Huckabee to win Iowa. Congratulations!

January 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. Karen Houston TX

Huckabee is the biggest flip-flopper on the planet. I laugh at the constant attacks on Romney. What about Huckabee's flip on immigration! Did anyone notice at all?!?

Unbelievable, I guess he can be taken for his word because he's a "Christian". People will swallow anything!

January 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  17. Chansarith,Puth,Philadelphia,PA

We would like to wish to have a good president for our American people and any nationality live in United State. Thank you so much to all any government.

January 4, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. Oscar, Seattle, WA

Ron Paul supporter here. Choose liberty and peace. America, the way the founders intended. Limited government, no entangling alliances, and free trade.

As long as Ron Paul stays serious about his campaign and continues to generate talk (and money) he will influence the public discourse. Already I have seen some of the candidates shift their policies in response to Dr. Paul's message in light of his online popularity and money raising capacity. Don't underestimate the strength of his message. Personal liberty and economic freedom are powerful motivating factors. Iowa is a strongly evangelical state, no surprise the religious candidates took it. I'm hoping New Hampshire, the "Live free or die", state will make a different choice.

January 4, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. ike

If anyone has seen any of my posts, I am obviously not a Huckabee supporter. I have seen a lot of pro-Huckabee posts that tell all to find out the truth at mikehuckabee.com. This made me laugh since no candidate is going to point out there own faults. I have gone to the site to see what Huckabee says about the negative things said about him. Obviously it is the exact opposite of what other people are saying about him. So hey, why not do my own research. Good idea, right? Well not so good if you are a Huckabee supporter. One of my main concerns about Huckabee is his battle with the Ethics board. His site, under the link “Truth Squad: Ethics” says, “The overwhelming majority of ethics complaints filed against Governor Huckabee in the state of Arkansas were regularly dismissed and / or proven to be frivolous.” I checked to see if this was true. A majority of them have been thrown out, but not ALL. I find it disturbing that the EVANGELICAL RIGHT voted for a man who had, by his own admission, ethics issues. He never said all of them were thrown out. I wanted to know what wasn’t thrown out. I wanted to know in what areas he had ethics issues. I would suggest that all others do the same. He also tried to get a statute of limitations on ethics issues? Why would he do this. If he had so many issues with ethics why is anyone voting for him? That is a legitimate question. I would like an answer. I assume the answer will be that he will get rid of the IRS. I have done my research there too. It won’t happen. It isn’t possible. Even if the Fair Tax was possible, which i doubt it is, the IRS must still exist to collect that tax. SO why, why is the RIGHT voting for a man that doesn’t have a fiscal conservative record? Why is the right voting for a man that has ethics issues? Can some one answer this?

January 4, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. cliftnote

On January 17th, 1961, Dwight D. Eisenhower warned the American people about the accumulation of power by the military-industrial complex. To commemorate this speech, make a donation to the campaign of Ron Paul, whether it be cash, or your time on January 17, 2008. For more details, go to my blog.

Ron Paul in 2008!

January 4, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  21. Homjett

With Romney winning Wyoming, 12 delegates, added to the 12 he won in Iowa, that means he is leading in the Delegate count. If Romney comes in second in NH, that means more. So why is the MSM sounding like he is dead already. Seems they don't want to have him win, because they think he can win against the Demos????

January 5, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. Tony Playa

And what Mormon practices are you talking about?

January 5, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. jim kental

MIT ROMNEY: THE REAL CONSERVATIVE

Anyone who has paid any attention to the election coverage by the mainstream (left-wing) media can see the negative, and relatively scarce, attention paid to Mit Romney. It doesn't require much speculation to understand why: He is the most conservative, and appealing, candidate the Republicans have, and the media greatly fears him. They parade Moderate Mike Huckabee around as the answer to our prayers, yet his record reveals a Rockefeller Republican behind the facade. The much-hyped John McCain has proven to be a cancer to our party given all the concessions he has handed Democrats over the years, to the detriment of our party and nation. Fred Thompson is a tired, uninspiring old man who will hand the Dems an easy win. Giuliani, though a great leader, doesn't have the stamina to weather the Dems attacks, and his past baggage will prove a goldmine to his opponents. Through the thick of the battle, and the rise and fall of many primary candidates, Romney is running strong, and gaining popularity as the public comes to know him better. He governed pretty conservatively in a very liberal state, and effected tremendous change and success in all of his endeavors. Do not be fooled by the media, the McCains, Huckabees, or just about anyone else who praises Romney's opponents, Romney is the real deal and they know it and fear it. They will always support the Republican candidate who is best for the Democrats.

January 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  24. ben

MITT ROMNEY reminds me of a used car salesman if you tell him how old the motor is he will probably tell you its new when its probably 50 years old.IF you tell him how old the TIRES are he will probably tell you that they are new as well and as soon as you kick the TIRES the car breaks down or falls apart. MITT ROMNEY is the poster boy of what a POLITICIAN looks like do anything, say anything to get ELECTED. AMERICA doesn't need this MORON in the WHITE HOUSE.

January 9, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  25. JACK

MITT ROMNEY reminds of a ROOSTER on top of a barn which ever way the ROOSTER is blowing that will be MITT ROMNEY'S position for the day.

January 9, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |