January 3rd, 2008

Obama still battles e-mail rumors

Obama continues to face questions based on internet rumors.

Obama continues to face questions based on internet rumors

(CNN) - As he made a last-minute push for votes in Des Moines, Barack Obama was still finding Iowans curious about e-mailed rumors about his religion – or, for one voter, his alleged lack of one.

Zanata Moore-El asked Obama if he was an atheist.

"I'm a member of the Trinity United Church of Christ," Obama said. "Don't read e-mails."

Obama is a Christian, but e-mails speculating on his religious views, including his Muslim heritage, are still circulating despite being discredited.

"I hated having to ask him that," Moore-El told a reporter. "But I heard he was like an atheist. I don't want a president who's an atheist. I'm a firm believer in God. I just really wanted to make sure because I really wanted to vote for him and he has some good topics and everything."

- CNN Associate Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa
  1. patsy

Go to the link below:
    > This is the web page for the church Barack Obama belongs to:
    > http://www.tucc.org/about.htm

They make a commitment to Africa ............. no kind of commitment is made to America, in fact America is not mentioned.......... seems strange to me!!

January 3, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  2. remedy

time to let a new generation bring new ideas and hope to this nation. making my donation now. obama 08 is the remedy we need.

January 3, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  3. Desensitized Media Junkie

Wow. I agree. This is not news. Please, I perfered you reporting about "threats" and scaring America into a war. The ratings were at least better...

January 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  4. John, MD

Dis Islam sho am good!

January 3, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  5. Lee

It amazes me how this is supposed to be a land of the free with freedom of religion. As a Christian I am embarassed that this freedom only applies to other Christians and not to all religions as our forefathers meant it to be. It is time we look past someone's religious convictions to how they actually can handle the issues and make decisions that affect this country. It is almost gotten to the point that Christianity is becoming a theocratical society. That is why I focus on God above and not men as men have ruined religion in this country.

January 3, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  6. JUAN .R. VELEZ-DEYA

I am a democtrat. all the way. US army Retired .Tonight I made up my mind. I will vote" REPOBLICAN " To make sure that inepts dont get us in trouble once again. Bush is THE WORS THAT WE EVER HAD, BUT OBAMA WILL BRING THE real problem to our"""' SACRIFICE. "'LET US ALL MILITARY JOINT AND HAVE A SAY IN the decision of our feature...Do you think BUSH is our headache today?? Good old Clinton left our BUDGET with a SURPLUS.. Does Hussein have the ability to do it?????? No I AM NO AN INMIGRANT. I WAS BORNED AND RAISED A US CITIZEN FROM PARENTS THE SAME.. AS ALL OTHER AMERICANS ... I PROUDLY SERVED THIS COUNTRY WITH THE BEST YEARS OF MY YOUTH.. WHAT DID OBAMA DO?????? DID HE SERVED??????

January 3, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  7. phyllis

I see where Obama won the Iowa causus tonight and I am very happy that Obama will continue to do well. He belives in God and he will become our next President. He will bring our nation together and do wonders around the world. I am so happy for him and his wife. Go Obama 2008.

January 3, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  8. Dave Haley

How can some Christians believe that Muslims are atheists? Those that do are deluded to believe that Barack's grandfather's faith somehow translates into a fact that Barack is an athiest. Ignorance like this perverts the electoral process.

January 3, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  9. Hypocrisy

1) General
    Amazing how many comments there are (violent unstructured debate). At this rate humans will always be stupid, gullible gossiping beings. And society will continue shoving prejudices down the throats of children.
    At least here in the primary chaotic ol' mixin' pot, the United States (no, not America – ever thought of the fact that the term 'America' applies to continents, not the U.S.? Citizens of Mexico and Canada are Americans as well...).

2) The U.S. Public and Religion, etc
    Hey, guess what – Bush – a Christian. OMG! He is so morally upright, huh! One of the most despised leaders in the world, impressive! ... I might as well give the hell up. The simple fact that W. was elected not once but TWICE is absolutely typical of the stupidity(?) of the U.S. public (individuals are smart, but generally as a group common sense and IQ take a SEVERE blow to the head unfortunately)..
    And the 90's Clinton was impeached for having a healthy sexual appetite [which is apparently unforgivable and immoral, somehow reminds me of the retarded celebrity spotlight...]. I think Nixon's offense was a bit more severe... But Bush W.'s have by far been the most horrible.
    And of course, Obama is racist (sarcasm) because his church excludes whites. But Christian churches don't let in non-Christians! (wait wait, I'm getting race and religion mixed up again). How does this church possibly survive!

3) Hypocrisy
    Major hypocrisy (or stupidity(?)) here in the U.S., I tell ya. Politicians are really good at it.
    I'm trying not to vote for a hypocrite. I will not vote for Clinton because I do not want two families ruling the U.S. for... how many years now? She seems like a hypocrite also. But Obama, by going against the standard stupidity and having courage, has my vote. Far more importantly, however, he seems independent and intelligent, and I like his policy options. It's amazing that he's made it this far.

4) Side-note
    "Einstein's work was interrupted by World War I. A lifelong pacifist, he was only one of four intellectuals in Germany to sign a manifesto opposing Germany's entry into war. Disgusted, he called nationalism 'the measles of mankind.' He would write, 'At such a time as this, one realizes what a sorry species of animal one belongs to.'"
    Please, please, stop the Hitlerism! Use your head, stop being told what to believe! Stop being blind!

4) Ethics?
    By the way, a person can be friendly, courageous and helpful, etc (what is 'moral' or 'ethical' anyways? There are a thousand ways to interpret everything) and an overall good person no matter what they believe in.

What does it matter, as long as our president looks good on TV!
    Will we ever have a president like FDR again?

5) The Point
    Vote for the odd humanist president, one that will verify claims and not go into unprovoked war.

January 3, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. Matt

It makes me laugh to actually read people stating, and actually believing, that Obama A) is Muslim, B) doesn't respect the flag, and C) actually hates America. I think that's a whole lotta work to put in to take a job for a country you actually hate. It's probably a good thing CNN doesn't require an I.Q. test before you can post. I'd truly miss reading what the whackos will say next! Sorry, but it's time to start your crying. W. is almost out, and your time is up. He's the one that truly hates America, and is doing what he can to spit on our great constitution and turn this into a police state.

Bye bye, Bushie.

O8ama!

He just won Iowa handily, New Hampshire is next!

January 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  11. Karen in CA

"Black Value System"?

Even though the Muslims forced their religion on the Africans for centuries and enslaved the darker races, I would rather have an Allah fearing Muslim in office than a racist.....equality for all! Obama should leave his church behind and embrace a more open minded congregation.

January 3, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  12. kibatu

for the frist time in US history pople they are going to vote the right man.

OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA FOR UNITED

January 3, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  13. Marti, FL

Karen, Sal and Charles:

Have you ever been to the United Church of Christ? Please try it sometime and open your mind. As one of the many white people who attend that congregation, I can assure you it is far from racist. It is really sad that I have to point that out to counter your attempts to score political points. It only confirms the need to keep religion and politics separate.

January 4, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  14. Shalonda Neal of Detroit,MI

I look forward to have a man such as Obama. There is time for a change and he is going to down in history as the first black president. I think that a lot of white people do not want to see this happen. People would say silly things about a man that has an outstanding back ground. Give him the chance and give him a fair race. When it is all said and done, we the people do not count any way, that is why Bush is in office. Our votes did not count, who we as peolpe rather have as president. I pray that the best man win, I feel that man is Obama. God is with every body rather they believe or not. God loves all and service all no matter what and he already knows who the next president will be. May God bless who ever that is.

January 4, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  15. SyF the Giver, Chicago, IL

Obviously everything you read on the internet is true.

Obviously...

January 4, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  16. Karl-Heinz Knapp

I am german and I am going after the pre elections in the usa with big interest.
    When reading Obama is told to become a second Martin Luther King,having success and getting in touch with the hearts of an american people`s majority,I am very afraid : I fear the ultra conservative reaction,the answer of racism,i am afraid of Obama himself.I hope he will have a lot of security during the elections.
    Hope,nobody will shoot him ! God bless him !
    KH,Karlsruhe,Germany

January 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  17. Rich

I can't quite fathom why so many appear to be willing to follow the philosophy of Bush/Cheney and their followers. Perhaps most commenting are making hundreds of thousands per year.

I keep hearing the fear that democrats will tax and spend. Don't you realize that dollar fatigue is reducing our standard of living. Everything we own in this country is 30-40% less than it was since 2001. Why is this so? Because this administration and the republicans who rubber stamp borrow and spend. Their tax is in the form of borrowing and their spending has been mainly for a war of choice in Iraq.

January 7, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  18. Gane

Senator Edwards, I would NOT vote for you because you are making your case only on of the expense of Hilary Clinton.

Gentleman?! What is it? On the debate you ware like a Hyena over her, before her suit... Is that a simple jealousy lire most of American women (surprise for me, even Pakistanis are more advance in this meter and Bhutto was killed from her enemies).

Second, do you deny that "Clinton's machine" work peaty well for americans for 8 years ?

It is partly your fault. Why didn't you win the Election in 2000? Now you are blaming Hilary that America is really in a big ...

You still play your ego agenda, Sur! Hussein Obama will be chewed and spit from Republicans, because he has not very much to offer then word "Change" (He sounds to me like those communist leaders who had been feeding the people only with nice word and hopes of future almost heavenly life; UTOPIA, eh , worked for some period).

Americans , please, just do not compare him with JFK.

If you really are talking from your heard, it is not late you to make some REAL CHANGE- make sure Democrat to be in the Oval office this time even that is not you.

As I rite on a CNN goes a Braking New about Iranians? I imagine Senator Hussein Obama in the Oval office with pence full of..

Wake up Americans, it is very serious , do not blow it again!

January 7, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  19. T Clanton

America, you better wise up! Barack Hussein Obama certainly could be a Muslim imposture posing as an American Christian! If he is, he will be the very one to take Christian Broadcasting off the air waves! He claims to be a Christian from the "Church of Christ," but has openly admited he believes, same sex marriage should be decided by each state. That is condoning it and asssures him the gay votes! Abortion issue form Hussein Obama, "it should be up to the individual,"
    that secures him votes from the pro-choice supporters! If he were a Christian and followed God's word, he would never condone either of them and openly admit he is against both! I know people from the Church of Christ, and they would never support either issue, and would openly say so!

One of you mentioned his mom was a Christian, that is nothing further than the
    truth! I understand his mother was a white Aheist, yes... his mother is white which
    makes Hussein Obama half white, he is as much white as he is black! The other half is Muslim, his dad and step dad were Muslim! America can co-exist with any other religion in the world but the Muslim religion! Why? Because Muslim are
    instructed by their bible the Koran/Quran to inillate infadels which means ALL who are non-Muslim should be killed! THAT IS THEIR SOUL PURPOSE IN LIFE! You have no choices as a Muslim, their soul purpose is to take the world over and everyone can only be Muslim! They are trying to accomplish what Hitler was trying to do, he wanted a perfect race of only blonde hair and blue eye's and wanted power over the world! I can not believe you want to vote someone in as Commander and Chief that is from a Muslim back ground. Our women and men have died and are dying by the hands of Muslim! He has nothing to loose by not
    putting on the charm and promising change... what change? I will admit Obama is charming but he has told us nothing nothing except "America is ready for Change" none of the cadidates are telling us any plans for the willl of the Americans, we need a plan for luring industry back to America, only Fred Thompson has said he intends to get back to the Constitution! He also said he is going to work on foreign trade to get jobs back into this country. We have swayed so far from the Constitution, it has always worked for America but is being ignored and it shows! What is a country without instructions? We use them everyday in our jobs and at home, why not run America by them like we have before, if you do not like the way our way of life is in America and you left your own country to come live here, go back no one is stopping you!

America is in deep trouble if we do not get back to the basics! Why do you think everyone wants to live in America? We were organized and followed the Constitution! A country that has no rules or laws and limitations or consequences to abide by will certainly self destruct!

God has been the Commander and Chief in America, the more we exclude him the worse our country is getting! God has been our sourse of strength in this great nation, man alone can not direct this country, 9/11 and Katrina are just the beginning of the coming attractions if we keep oliminating him from our Nation!

God Bless America!

January 8, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. David

If you want to be shocked,go to the Trinity Church of Christs ,(Obama's church) web site. You will find among other disturbing things that his pastor gave Louis Farrachan a life time achevement award for his service to America. Farrachan for you that don't know is a known racist and anti -semite . http://www.tucc.org

January 11, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |