January 3rd, 2008

Richardson supporters moving to Obama camp

ALT TEXT

Obama and Richardson chat at Sen. Tom Harkin's Steak Fry in Iowa.(Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) - CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that supporters of Bill Richardson in Iowa are now moving over to Barack Obama as their second-choice candidate - a vital designation in the Democratic caucuses. A Clinton source tells her that “The 'Richardson thing’ is real," and that Clinton supporters in the caucuses report “people are moving en masse from Richardson to Barack Obama.”

Obama supporters dispute the reports.

Earlier Thursday, word spread that Richardson caucus goers in precincts where the former New Mexico governor was not “viable” – could not meet the required 15 percent threshold - were being urged to go with Obama as their second-choice candidate.

A Richardson spokesman told CNN that “no deal was cut between the two campaigns.”

The spokesman also said that there is a “natural overlap between Richardson and Obama supporters” on such issues as the war in Iraq and bringing change to Washington.

1. raoul

RICHARDSON FOR VICE PRES!!!!!!!!

January 3, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  2. nelson

I am a Hispanic American. Bill Richardson has shamed us. How can he be so ungrateful and move his votes to Obama. When his career has been promoted and established by the Clinton administration. We Hispanic Americans believe in loyalty. He obviously does not. What a hypocrite and a traitor of principle..

January 3, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  3. Dorothy Kincaid

Richardson goes to Obama – is there no loyalty amongst anyone anymore? I told you how mucha whites hate.

January 3, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  4. Nick

I 2nd your nomination for Richardson for VP

January 3, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  5. Nick

Oh, Nelson, Richardson himself doesn't move his votes - research how the caucus works, if you don't meet a threshold you have to pick a different candidate.

January 3, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  6. C. Spradley

This is surprising. Richardson has the deepest, broadest resume-and Obama's is the skimpiest. Why aren't the Richardson people moving to Edwards?

January 3, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  7. Sean, Detroit, MI

Richardson wouldn't be bad, but Obama/Biden would be an awesome ticket. Hope this trend continues and Barack wins Iowa!!!

January 3, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  8. bobby

Obama-Richardson is the best ticket I can imagine. I'd prefer the flip of this ticket, but this will do fine. In Obama, you're looking at one of the most inspirational figures that we've seen in decades. In Richardson, one of the most experienced candidates in the field... an ambassador, negotiator, executive. This could be a real change in the way that this country is run.

January 3, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  9. Vince Los Angeles, CA

GO'BAMA GO!!!!!!

January 3, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  10. b

Just left my caucus in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, where EVERY Richardson supporter went to Edwards, giving him a lead over Clinton.

January 3, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  11. Fred

Nick – NPR announced earlier this evening that Richardson said his delegates should go to Obama if he didn't get enough of a percentage to carry.

Richardson did move his votes. Indirectly. But he did.

And I think anyone BUT Hillary. We do not need or want another Clinton in office.

January 3, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  12. Vince Los Angeles, CA

Ummm...Nelson....Richardson isn't the traitor.....according to YOUR logic, HIS SUPPORTERS ARE TRAITORS...THEY ARE THE ONES MOVING TO SUPPORT OBAMA....

Catch the wave baby!!!!

January 3, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  13. Justin

I just came back from my local caucus here in Iowa. We had 234 individuals in our precinct show up (an amazing number). Two candidate groups (Richardson, Biden) were non-viable after the first role call. Approximately 80% of those from the non-viable groups went to Obama. Maybe the extremist politics of Hillary are too much for the more moderate general public.

January 3, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  14. Fred

b – CNN itself was just showing how Richardson delegates were going Edwards instead of Obama by 2 to 1.

I don't understand why they report otherwise.

January 3, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  15. terence

Save the Vice Presidency for Gov. Schweitzer. Richardson will be selected as Secretary of State.

January 3, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  16. T.Blackwell

Spradley, is it really surprising that Richardson's people are moving to Obama given the change of appeal in Edwards. I am avid Edwards supporter, but given the competition and leadership America needs right now, people are looking for charisma and fluidity... character traits that Edwards just isnt the best at.

January 3, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  17. FAIR TAX,LA.

NO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!

January 3, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  18. Will

How has Bill Richardson shamed anyone? He doesn't get to pick where his non-viable votes go. Shame he failed to meet the threshold though as he was a great candidate.

January 3, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. Fred

From here it looks like we could see either an Edwards/Obama ticket or an Obama/Edwards ticket. I prefer the former.

Hillary is trailing.

I pray we don't have to worry about another Clinton trying to redefine 2-letter words during an investigation.

January 3, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  20. victor

Nelson "you dont speak for me" we hispanics? what the h..., every hispanic is just a person, just as white, black or asian, "is not a matter of skin color" "a head a word" you talk I talk, you buy I I buy, you vote, I vote. "IS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

January 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  21. C. Spradley

Way to go, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa!

January 3, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  22. Vince Los Angeles, CA

READ IT AND WEEP!!!! 59% OF PRECINTS REPORTING SHOWS OBAMA IN THE LEAD WITH 35%!!!

GO'BAMA GO....GO'BAMA GO!!!!!

FIRED UP...READY TO GO!!!!

January 3, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  23. suzie from atlanta, GA

Well of course they would..........and that's fine. BILL Clinton came in fourth in Iowa, in fact, the winner of Iowa has always lost the election.

Obama, like Bush, is all about uniting (I'm a uniter not a divider) and bringing people together. Of course he has not a clue how to run a country, but that's OK, he'll surround himself with people who do. Sound familiar? Pluse he LOOKS so refreshing!!! So what else matters, right?

Why are they moving? Because they were told by HQ to do that. This is a very complicated ballet. Things don't happen by accident.

He perhaps thinks Obama will win and he can have a seat at the table. Obama is not electable, for a million reasons, and if he does (G-d Forbid) get elected, Richardson will be very much needed because Obama has not a clue, and misses votes (such as funding Iraq) so he can say he didn't vote for it) and meetings for the job he is paid for: the Senate.

I still hope for a turn around, but in any case, I am curious about where Biden's votes went.........or Dodd.........one would think to Clinton. One would hope for either Edwards or Clinton.

January 3, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  24. C. Spradley

T. Blackwell, I prefer Edwards (after Richardson) because I'm looking more for substance than style these days. Too much sizzle and not enough steak has done this country in.

January 3, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  25. David Gonzalez

I am a Hispanic and am sad that Richradson has cut a deal with Obama. I will spit on him (metaphorically, that is) next time I see him.

January 3, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |