January 3rd, 2008

Richardson supporters moving to Obama camp

ALT TEXT

Obama and Richardson chat at Sen. Tom Harkin's Steak Fry in Iowa.(Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) - CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that supporters of Bill Richardson in Iowa are now moving over to Barack Obama as their second-choice candidate - a vital designation in the Democratic caucuses. A Clinton source tells her that “The 'Richardson thing’ is real," and that Clinton supporters in the caucuses report “people are moving en masse from Richardson to Barack Obama.”

Obama supporters dispute the reports.

Earlier Thursday, word spread that Richardson caucus goers in precincts where the former New Mexico governor was not “viable” – could not meet the required 15 percent threshold - were being urged to go with Obama as their second-choice candidate.

A Richardson spokesman told CNN that “no deal was cut between the two campaigns.”

The spokesman also said that there is a “natural overlap between Richardson and Obama supporters” on such issues as the war in Iraq and bringing change to Washington.

1. Dan Birch

January 3, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  2. MELVIN, HOPE USA

Hillary wanted to finish second to Edwards...

well... she did.

BUT Edwards lost to OBAMA!

OBAMA 2008!

God Bless America. next stops for our Movement: NH, SC, Super Tuesday, White House, the WORLD!

FIRE UP! READY TO GO! LET'S GO CHANGE THE WORLD!

January 3, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. David Thomas

A woman (Clinton) is being hurt by two men (Obama and Richardson) who decided to conspire against her.

January 3, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  4. Obama Supporter

this is the beginning of a movement.

January 3, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  5. Christian, Tampa FL

Fired up! Ready to go!

Thank you IOWA!!!

January 3, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  6. JROB

Hillary Clinton is not a "women" by your terms. She is as masculine as a "female" can get. Beware the femi-nazi!

January 3, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  7. Jeff in Plainfield, IL

Its looking good for Obama. THANK YOU IOWA!!

And, thank you for putting Giuliani and McCain in their proper respective places for the Neocons side as well.

January 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  8. pam Eugene OR

I could not be happier. This is a great day in our history. Please America...keep saying no more Clinton and no more Bush! Their corrupt ways will no longer be tolerated in America. We want real change and that is not Hillary.
    We have had enough of the past let us look to the future. I am just dancing with delight!!!

January 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  9. John K

Dan Birch wrote "This is what I think. Two men–Obama and Richardson (both people of color)–conspired against Clinton, a woman. This is consistent with what I know about a lot men of color- they tend to be against women. Unfortunate.."
    ---------------------------------------

From a "man of color"...

January 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. Mary A Frank

Actually, I saw people go to Obama's camp. I saw Live on CSPAN, that people did, or would not be 'viable' for Richardson.

Tell you what, though......If Richardson will be Obama's running mate, I would vote for the two of them.

I am a citizen of the State of New Mexico. Been here for almost 30yrs; Richardson is the Best thing to ever hit this Land of Enchantment.

January 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  11. Gabe

While I am white and from the east coast, this article does exactly what I'd have done.

Support Richardson first, he is the most qualified person running to be President hands down, if he feels he can't win (and I still think he can without Iowa) I would support O'Bama all day next.

January 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  12. B. Ward

With President, Barack Obama, it isn't just about change; it is about the sincerity behind the DESIRE for change.

January 3, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  13. Corey

hey shmuya I was wondering the same thing so you are not alone

January 3, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  14. Jake, California

suzie from atlanta, GA
    You are just hitting. You should read and or listen to Obama's speeches. This man is educated and smart. And as you added, he is a unitor. Those are the most important things we need in a president. Remember that MAN'S PRIMARY WEAPON IS HIS MIND from which he reasons. Obama has made numerous right decisions even before getting to the presidential race.

Senator Clinton with all the foreign policy experience doesn't know whether Musharraf was not running in the up coming Pakistani elections. I can only think that the reason she didn't know is because she had not been to Pakistan lately since she gains her foreign experience from travelling. If she becomes president are we going to wait for her to tour the world and come back home before making decisions? Hell no!

Obama will revive America like Bill Clinton did. He only needs his ticket to the oval office which I think is pretty much on its way.
    If Black people in the South turn their backs and vote against Obama, I as a black male will forever remain with the believe that a majority of our people are way too stupid.

Look, Iowa's minority population is only 5% as reported by CNN. this means this is a 95% white state. Now If all these white folks see that Obama is the right choice for America and the black folks don't do so, I'll have no reason to be alive!

Juan Carlos,
    you say so because you have been told that your color or color for that matter is not good and hence not deserving of anything good. Sadly, you believe this?

You of course have a choice. You can believe or not!
    Change is on its way Juan...take heart!

January 3, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  15. Cleve

Richardson was never a viable presidential candidate. He was running to become Hilliary's VP from the very beginning.

January 3, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  16. Justin

Everyone in your respective states, mobilize your neighbors to attend your respective primaries!

The number of people at my local caucus in Iowa tonight (and across the state) was historic.

I have never felt a part of such a revolution in my lifetime. Tonight was a very special night for America. If we in Iowa can do it, everyone in America can do it!

Oh, Oh, Oh, Obama!

January 3, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  17. Justin

Oh, Oh, Oh, Obama!

January 3, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. Heather

Wow. That's all I can say.

January 3, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  19. sarah, El Paso TX

Obama / Gov. VA or Bloomberg or Webb!!!

January 3, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  20. erick

Obama is young, weak and will crumble ... we need someone strong LIKE Clinton or Edwards or hell even Kucinich! Obama is a green babyfaced unexperienced candidate

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  21. Nando

Nelson,

As a Hispanic I think you should watch the company you keep.

The SHOT HEARD AROUND THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!

GO OBAMA 08,12

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  22. Taylor

It's a sign that people are tired of the same old policies...corporate greed, lack of immigration enforcement and medical insurance.

We are tired of being spied on and tracked like we are the enemy while Bin Laden is still on the loose.

We are sick of our tax dollars going to rebuild Iraq while our Bridges fall and cities are slow being rebuilt after Natural Disasters.

We are tired of being so preoccuppied with keeping up with the Jones and for some just keeping a roof over their heads and not being able to focus on policies being made that affect our daily lives.

We are tired of being told to live in FEAR and that we must sacrfice privacy....HEAR our prayers GOD because we are TIRED of what is happening to our country.

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  23. Dan

At my Bettendorf, Iowa caucus site the Dodd and Richardson supporters joined the Biden camp to make him viable. However, many of the Biden, Richardson & Dodd supporters probably would have been in the Obama group had Biden not received a few people from the Obama group to make him viable.

So, Obama probably had more support than showed up tonight. Very surprising.

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  24. David Thomas

John K wrote,

"In the realm of idiotic things that people say on the internet, this has to rank as one of the MOST idiotic that I've ever read."

You need to substantiate what makes Dean's comment idiotic. At least he offered his reasoning. You are the one looking like the real idiot here.

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  25. C. Spradley

John K, you are so right.

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |