January 3rd, 2008

Richardson supporters moving to Obama camp

ALT TEXT

Obama and Richardson chat at Sen. Tom Harkin's Steak Fry in Iowa.(Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) - CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that supporters of Bill Richardson in Iowa are now moving over to Barack Obama as their second-choice candidate - a vital designation in the Democratic caucuses. A Clinton source tells her that “The 'Richardson thing’ is real," and that Clinton supporters in the caucuses report “people are moving en masse from Richardson to Barack Obama.”

Obama supporters dispute the reports.

Earlier Thursday, word spread that Richardson caucus goers in precincts where the former New Mexico governor was not “viable” – could not meet the required 15 percent threshold - were being urged to go with Obama as their second-choice candidate.

A Richardson spokesman told CNN that “no deal was cut between the two campaigns.”

The spokesman also said that there is a “natural overlap between Richardson and Obama supporters” on such issues as the war in Iraq and bringing change to Washington.

1. Hans

There are a lot of happy Republicans tonight. Y'all took the bate. We are fired up and ready to bash this coke head till he loses in the general.

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  2. Tyrese Gail Williams

God Bless the voters of Iowa!!! Hopefully rhe voters in New Hampshire and South Carolina will send Hillary Clinton back to New York and Barack Obama will be the Democratic nominee. Obama will bring reconciliation to our divided country and will reach across party lines. We don't need the Clintons in the White House and hopefully the voters next week will send a clear message about the Polarizer and the Philanderer. OBAMA IN 2008!!!!!!!!!! God Bless America!!!!!!!!!

January 3, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. CD Henderson

Grrrrrr, I'm starting to think the Republicans are going to win this election. An Obama-Richardson ticket? This election shall very much come down to race, in the end.

I previously believed that the next election would see Democrats and Republicans alike voting for a Democratic candidate; I now believe we'll see Republicans and Democrats alike voting for whoever's candidate is white.

White America isn't ready for the anti-white sentiment an Obama-Richardson ticket would bring. Don't see it happening. I've read the website of Obama's church, and before he makes it to the general election it WILL become an issue raised by Republicans.

Like most of the rest of America, I wait for MY chance to cast my ballot...

January 3, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Cincinnati

I can't believe I just heard Solidad O'Brien, referring to Obama's win in Iowa, say "a black guy won – how did that happen?" If Hillary had won, would she have said, "a white woman won – how did that happen?" or if John Edwards had won – "a white guy won – how did that happen?" Good heavens, haven't we learned anything yet???!!!

From: A 67-year old white woman

January 3, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  5. Justin

David Thomas:

John K commented on a statement by Dean that "men of color attack women" (Richardson/Obama).

I'd say that takes the idiotic cake.

January 3, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  6. aware

Watch out America. Messiah Obama is on his his sneaky way, and the USA continues on the slippery slop. If this keeps up even a moderate Dem like me will vote Republican. Go Hillary or Huck!

January 3, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  7. Ryan

I am literally dancing with glee! I am so thrilled to see a Democrat who understands that if he's not going to win the nomination he should neither drag his campaigners down with him nor indulge in nepotism by returning "favors" one canidates family have done. He chose the canidate who best represented his values. O8ama!

January 3, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  8. David Thomas

Jake from California, I agree with Suzie from Atlanta. Other than talking about "change" what qualification does Obama have to lead this country? He is handsome and speaks but that is not enough to be the president.

Iowans are morons. They never voted for the winner.

January 3, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  9. Sean, Detroit, MI

I love how all the doubters continue to bash Obama

How is he not electable now?

He just won solidly in extremely white Iowa. Polls show he wins head-to-head matchups against ALL Republican candidates.

Don't resist the amazing possibility for real change for our country. Lead by an extremely intelligent, charismatic, HIGHLY CAPABLE Barack Obama.

January 3, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. John Smith

John K should stop making a fool of himself.

January 3, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  11. Hans

I am so happy we have a druggie to run against. I was beginning to think we might lose the white house.

Go Republicans!!

January 3, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Kay

I'm from New Mexico. I like Richardson if he doesn't get any nomination then New Mexico wins. He has done so much good for New Mexico and he is one of the best governors New Mexico has ever had. The rest of the nation is going to miss out on a good thing.

January 3, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  13. greg / switzerland

I am very happy to see a predominately white state put all the bull aside and see the content of a mans character. These folks see a true leader in Obama and they are exactly the type of people America needs to break us away from this ugly division we have in this country. How can we move forward as a nation united if we fail to see that Obama is the only one able to bring about this change. People, please get over your color barriers and get real. America, get real and do what's right...

January 3, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Sean, Detroit, MI

David Thomas:
    Bush and Cheney had plenty of the "qualifications" that people typically think are required to lead our country

....we've seen how well that worked for us

January 3, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  15. John Smith

Justin, how would you know that John K commented on Dean's comment? Did you read his mind? Or are you posting under names?

January 3, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  16. Dan

I was born and lived in Georgia for 27 years. I have lived in Iowa for 23 years. Until this year I have voted Republican. For what it is worth my impression is that most of my white Republican friends would find it easy to vote for Obama (and an Obama-Richardson ticket).

January 3, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  17. mike

Obama and Huckabee....both one state wonders. I don't even understand what is going on in the Democratic election process. How about just filling out some ballots instead of this merry-go-round nonsense. I for RON PAUL!!!!

January 3, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  18. Gracey Knowles, Dallas

Richardson may be a traitor to the Clintons, but he is a great patriot for America.

January 3, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  19. John Myers

Yes, Iowans are indeed morons. They never voted for the winner.

January 3, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  20. Lourdes

Democrats are doomed. They are framing Obama's victory in a black/white paradigm that has, in the past, only served to evoke ethnic loyalty.

Obama will never win a "Red" state as a "Black" candidate. Media reporters and Obama supporters alike need to be aware of the subtle message that comes from their "victory" for African Americans.

January 3, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  21. Robert Bell

Congratulions Barack Obama and congratulations Iowa voters for renouncing the negative smear campaign that Hillary has put on, using operatives to spread lies that Obama is a Muslim Terrorist and worse.

Tonight's vote is a repudiation of the "old school' tactics.

If that is possible, given all the bad things she has done in her life.

January 3, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  22. remedy

amazing how people claim those older than obama have such strong resumes. time to let a younger set of ideas step forth and fix some of what that crowd has gotten us into.. the remedy is clear.. its obama 08

January 3, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  23. Anti-Articulant

I just watched Anderson Cooper and Rafferty reported that Obama's lead is a good one, as he's articulant (among a list of other qualities). I'm tired of America referring to him as articulant. I've not heard this adjective used for any other candidate.

It's like when will America stop using this word in reference to black people. We don't all speak in double negatives. Why not use other refernces like he's a good motivational speaker...

Come on...

January 3, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  24. Jeff

Awesome. The 2nd their voting system of the Democratic Party is so much better than the stupid single vote system. Minus having to do it in person, it should be adopted for all national elections. This would be Instant-Runoff voting, by far the best voting system in the world. The current voting system just fosters corruption and makes it impossible to challenge the two party system. Also, GO OBAMA!

January 3, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  25. E. C., Houston, Texas

Obama doesn't have the Nomination, yet.....and as for the GOP....Reagan didn't win in Iowa, either! It"s not over ....'till it's over! The tide will turn against Huckabee sooner or later.....possibly later!

January 3, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |