January 3rd, 2008

Richardson supporters moving to Obama camp

ALT TEXT

Obama and Richardson chat at Sen. Tom Harkin's Steak Fry in Iowa.(Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) - CNN’s Candy Crowley reports that supporters of Bill Richardson in Iowa are now moving over to Barack Obama as their second-choice candidate - a vital designation in the Democratic caucuses. A Clinton source tells her that “The 'Richardson thing’ is real," and that Clinton supporters in the caucuses report “people are moving en masse from Richardson to Barack Obama.”

Obama supporters dispute the reports.

Earlier Thursday, word spread that Richardson caucus goers in precincts where the former New Mexico governor was not “viable” – could not meet the required 15 percent threshold - were being urged to go with Obama as their second-choice candidate.

A Richardson spokesman told CNN that “no deal was cut between the two campaigns.”

The spokesman also said that there is a “natural overlap between Richardson and Obama supporters” on such issues as the war in Iraq and bringing change to Washington.

1. JP

When all is said and done, a state with a population no more than double the size of the City of Phoenix isn't going to have the final say in the presidential election. No need to get too excited this evening. That final say is going to be up to the voting portion of the other 298 million of us. America is not yet ready to hand over the reins to a junior politician with limited experience.

Whether anyone likes it or not, the most experienced and best candidate of all this election just happens to be a woman. In addition to that solid body of experience, she is the ONLY candidate running who has actually lived in the White House and seen and experienced firsthand the running of this country from the Office of the President.

Just admit it. She is absolutely the most qualified candidate of all in this Presidential election. It's about time this country was run by a woman anyway with great strength, intelligence, fortitude and a bit of compassion, as well.

January 3, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  2. jane

i support bill richardson,but not obama,if he wins the democratic race,i will vote for mike,i have vote demo.since84,but i will not vote for inexperience person. the nation needs a person that can make changes that will determine our nations standard for the next 50yrs. we need a person of inner leadership,from the mind,heart and most of from the human soul. i am a democrate,but will place my nation first,i have been come more non-liberial?,or what?

January 3, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  3. donald newton

I cant believe that as much trouble as we are having with Islamic terrorists and Obama ha ties with his family who are Islamic whether they are peaceful or not but who knows. What is he going to do hand us over to the muslims. As an american i vote for the best person for the job whether she is a woman or black but i dont vote for somone who has ties with islamic family whether they are terrorists or not. Also alot of republicans came over to support Obama. It seems like we didnt learn our lesson with Liberman. The only people who has the experience to lead this great nation of our with experience and foreign policy are Clinton ,Biden ,Dodd. I dont like canidates who will sell their votes to another canidate. So my fellow americans you better wake up and smell the coffee or we are going to be in a greater mess than we are in now. Now i dont vote in Iowa but i hope other states will learn. Because if we dont have a person with experience and who cares for the american people we will have 4 more years of republicians. You might not like Hillary but she is the only one i see who can get this country untracked. So its up to you the "Democrats" of American to get behind her. If Obama get the nomination i will vote for a republician or a writein

Sincerely

Donald Newton

January 3, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. Elizabeth

Edwards is without the best candidate and its a shame that people are so blind to this. I am pleased that he managed to beat out Clinton; I don't think this leaves him dead in the water I believe he still is very much in this race. There are still 49 more states to go.

To my dear republican hans:
    Obama smoked pot in his youth/early adult hood and openly admitted to it. He didn't have anything hide. I am not an Obama supporter, however I will be if he wins the democratic nomination. Everyone has made mistakes in their past. example president bush and his alcohol problem and that didn't stop him from being elected unfortunately. Obama is far from a druggie and you are a being very typical republican with all your ridiculous and totally off base negative bashing. I guess bashing the other party is the only way the republicans think they can win. PATHETIC!

January 3, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  5. notagain

when will Iowa ever learn, have they picked a winner as the president in the most recent past? Iowa is such a nobody state that anyone can win it, but loses the nomination as president, says alot.

January 3, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  6. Amy in IA

The way I see it, if the Democrats want to win in 08, they will NOT nominate Hillary. She can not win and we will have four more years of business as usual. I know many Democrats that, if they have to choose between Hillary and any Republican, the Republican will win.

January 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  7. Greg

I really would like to know how so many folk posting here know the future. Please send me the winning super lottery numbers since several of you know Obama will lose to any Republican candidate...American will NOT vote for a black man...BTW, that's Americans...I don't know the numbers, but I am certain there are not many blacks in Iowa and they heard something they liked in Obama’s message. Just because Obama won in Iowa does not mean he will win the nomination. Clinton is still and will continue to be a very formidable opponent…as is Edwards, Richardson and Biden…but not Mr. Dodd. This is not a race for the swift. Why not just do your part and vote and let the rest playout as it will. Remember Ms. Cleo lost here job after trying to predict the future. BTW…I am not certain who or which party I’m voting for…I still have time to decide considering none of the candidates…Republican or Democrat…has the experience to run this country. Has either of the candidates ever been the President of these United States!?

January 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  8. AL

For ALL of you Republicans and Clintonites who think that OBAMA will be crushed by the GOP after he receives the Democratic nomination in November. See you a year from now at Obama's inauguration. You haven't seen anything yet, and there will be NO karl Rove hood wink this time around!

January 3, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  9. Wendy

I have been involved in politics for many years an worked on many campaigns. I am thrilled that we have so many attractive, qualified, impressive candidates in the primary this year. I would be honored to support Obama, Edwards, Clinton, Biden, Dodds, and Richardson....They all outshine the Republican candidates . It is not necessary to hate or deplore any of them just because one has a favorite among them.
    Personally, I felt a particular rush at listening to and seeing Obama on the stump. The magic charisma is undeniable and reminds me of Jack Kennedy (yes, I worked on his campaign). IOWA proves that Obama inspires and unites and represents how we want to see us as Americans...neither one race or background or another but the best part of all ...and rational and straight forward.

As a woman, I am proud of Hillary Clinton and how strong she is in her campaigning. Edwards and his wife are truly inspiring as well and clearly good people of depth, caring and smarts. Dodds has done excellent work in Congress and I have seen him do it. He is also a real asset and worthy of respect. Biden gets flack but he talks alot because he knows a lot, has a lot of opinions and historical perspective on issues and like Dodds..brings a lot to the table. I just hope that whoever we nominate brings some of these others into prominent positions in the administration. YEAH. We are going to win the White House .
    Huckabee cant go the distance on prayer and a dimple. Romney is slick and seems totally plastic. Neither will pull in independents or Democrats in a general election ... etc etc.

January 3, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  10. notagain

the GOP simply hopes that Obama continues to win states and nomination (though there is no way in !@@!!!! that he will) , this way they are guaranteed the big office because no way will a black man ever become president in the USA, and yes I am black and will never waste my vote on a candidate that can not win it all the way, nor on a candidate that does not have the skills to lead this nation and Obama does not have what it takes to run this nation nor will he make it to the big time office, he will never get this black vote!

January 3, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  11. AL

Hey Donald,

NEWS FLASH:

The best person for the job is Obama, so take your sincerity elsewhere. That and $1.50 might get you a medium cup of coffes at Seven Eleven!

January 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  12. Les

The Republican will take over the WHITEHOUSE, IF Obama is the nominee for the Democratic party, many of us lifelong democrats will vote for any republican nominee, whoever is that person is MUCH BETTER than Obama.

OBAMA is an EMPTY SUIT like Bush.

January 3, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  13. Jimenez

It isn't that bad. 7% – 9% lead. It is sad that the good people of Iowa thought Obama is a better choice. I was pretty disenhearted w/this. I thought of saying f it. And, then I thought about Hillary Clinton. Would she say F it. Hell no. That's my girl. It's a man's world out there. No lie. It's not so much about a fresh start cuz we all know Obama isn't that fresh start. WE know that Ms. Clinton will prevail. He may have won Iowa but he wasnt won. It is truly a sad day to us in Texas that these people have more trust on a rookie than a fighter. Anyone but Obama.

January 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  14. Ted Kwapien

anybody but Clinton.....we have seen enough of zipper action in the white house.

January 3, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  15. T

America don't be fooled when Obama wins he will surround himself with all the "RIGHT" people to help cover that experience everyone say he do not have(SMART MEN & WOMEN) so no need to Worry. America don't take the Islamic terrorists bate. Obama 08

January 3, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  16. edwards supporter

Went to caucus tonight. 209 people showed up for Dems. Obama got 100 votes and i didn't recognize ANY of the supposed neighbors. When Richardson's group wasn't viable, their chairperson said, "we have to go to Obama". I stepped in and said they could go wherever, said Edwards has the least sins that will be attacked by the Republicans, most of the Richardson group came over to the Edwards group where we beat Clinton. Obama is a spectacular speaker, but he seems to add things taken from other's campaign speeches. Did Obama really vote "Present" on issues of tightening up crime in Illinois? What is Jesse Jackson up to? Isn't Michele Obama supported by the Chicago south side/Jesse Jackson group? Many students supported Obama because of the word, "Change" and I told them how Jimmy Carter ran on the same ideals, I love Jimmy, but Washington insiders hated him and ignored what he wanted to accomplish. I feel Obama will rub many the wrong way as the "outsider".

January 3, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  17. Elizabeth

If a democrat vote for a republican candidate over the democratic candidate, whoever it is because they are very capable, that democrat is not true democrat and obviously has no idea what it means to be one. The republicans running for nomination are weak and way inexperience. Once again I will say I am not an obama supporter but I strongly believe he will be a better president than any of the republicans. Democrats must stick together!!!

January 3, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  18. Oscar

Oh my goodness. Wake up America! Reading some of these I am going to now vote Democrat because Obama inspires me is ridiculous. Did any of you even know this person existed a couple of years ago, even last year. All of a sudden he is the person of change. Why are you buying this! We all have heard this message of change and hope before.

Why is it different now. Please look past Obama's charisma and excellent public speaking skills and quit being sold. Make sure this biased media also does not sell Obama to you either.....

January 3, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  19. mike

Clinton lost Iowa, Romney lost Iowa....who cares??? Obama's speech was like he just one the presidency. Huckabee's campaign manager was acting like fool. I still think super tuesday is the time to predict a winner. I say the rules should change. Just have one night of all the states voting in the primaries. This entire process is over-done JMO

January 3, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  20. David Birch, Chicago

Amy in IA, the Democrats in Iowa are morons. They have not picked a winner in the last six election cycles. They are bunch of losers. My prediction is that when rest of the nation chooses Hillary and she goes onto win the election in November, Iowa Democrats will hang their heads in shame.

January 3, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  21. Kitty, Denver, CO.

Can you hear that? "It's the winds of CHANGE". Finally!!! For those who are comfortable with the way things are, the way they have been...you might want to fasten your seat belts.

GO B.O.!!!!

January 4, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  22. Kris In Atlanta

Congratulations to Obama. Now he is realizing that America wants authentic change, and a hope for a brighter tomorrow. But these pep talks and feel good moments of intimacy aren't gonna cut it. Its time Obama tells us not simply what he FEELS, but also what he BELIEVES. His position on immigration, gun control, the economy, abotion, things like that. I want to know where he expects to take us after we land in this mystical Land Of Oz he sees America venturing to. I want to vote for Obama and believe he can deliver the goods but I need to know more.

America is ready for a new direction, Mr. Obama. Tell us EXACTLY where you're going to take us. This country is faced with serious issues and challenges and pie-in-the-sky happy talk won't be enough to get it done.

January 4, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  23. Travis Sugarland, Texas

Demakooks are not voting for Obama or Edwards. They are voting against that socialist that feels that we are too dumb to run our own hoseholds. Billary's lies will begin at sunrise. Her New Hampshire accent will be unveiled. Billary in office would lead me to sell everything and move. I refuse to live in a socialist country.
    My son is optimistic now...I may be able to leave him all that I have worked and bleed for. Maybe illegal aliens will pack it up.

January 4, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  24. Jim

Good Job Karl Rove. Attention all Democrats. Republicans want Obama because they will make mince meat out of him. Also Independents gave him the win in one of the only states never to elect a women to any upper office. Obama did not win with the Democrats. Also with original votes Senator Clinton beat out Edwards. It was Richardson and Biden's votes that pulled Edwards in front of her by 11 delegates. Clinton will win in 08.. Senator Clinton for President.

January 4, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  25. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

Hey Democrats, nice to see so many of you are now REPUBLICANS!!!

Use the same tactic of FEAR that we loved back in 2004. WATCH OUT!! Obama is going to give us to the muslims.... what BS spread by people who want the status quo.

Can we move beyond fear and try to vote based upon improving the country?

Who would really be best, a Republican that wants to keep business as usual? Hillary who had so much "experience" in the White House and Arkansas she had no clue how many women Slick Willy was seeing? So experienced she is against the Iraq war but slipped up and hit the YAY button by accident?

January 4, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |