January 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Generational revolt vs. Religious revolt

(CNN) - When it comes to the winners of both party's caucuses tonight, it's an age revolt for Democrats versus a religious revolt for Republicans.

The exit polling shows an enormous generational divide between supporters of Obama and Clinton. Fifty-seven percent of those under the age of 30 went for the Illinois Democrat. But Obama won significantly smaller proportions of each successive age group. Forty-two percent of 30-44 year-olds went for Obama. That number drops to 21 percent among 41-64 year olds, and only 18 percent among voters 65 and over.

On the Republican side, exit polling shows a great divide between those voters who highly valued a candidate's religious values and those who did not. Huckabee won 56 percent of those who said religious values matter a great deal. That number drops to 30 percent who say religion somewhat matters, 15 percent who say religion doesn't matter much, and only 5 percent among those who say religion does not matter at all.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Ken in FL

Huckabee? Not really.

Thanks Iowa for a bonehead choice. You must be the same people making "Snoop Dogg – Fatherhood" a hit on MTV! I know there are people out there like you, I just don't know any personally!

January 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  2. downstreamjim

I wish one of these articles would address fiscal responsibility. The Republicans have been spending like Democrats. The Democrat response seems to be if elected will can spend even more.

January 3, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. Dennis R Petty

I have been trying for an hour to try and find one website that will give me the chance to voice my opinion on anything. No such luck!!!! The US is doomed. Give me one candidate who can get his political contribibutors out of his ass long enough to get what is really important to US Foreign policy, the USA, or lining his pockets with kickbacks to get to the real issues that will bring our country and our world back to where we need to be heading????????????????? Please!!!! The destruction of humanity is at hand!!!!

January 3, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  4. Shelly

Mitt, hang in there. The rest of the world sees Huckabee for what he is and there are fewer radical evangelicals in most other areas of the country. He will be nothing by November.

January 3, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  5. Dennis R Petty

This is not about religion. I have already fought that battle. It is about what we all need to do together to survive! Just check me out. Trust me!

January 3, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  6. Bob

Interesting that those who said religion didn't matter much voted for Romney. This is what will bring division for Republicans: Bush brought in the religious right and big oil/ big business, but now those groups are separated. Bush's base is with Romney, but while it seems Huckabee has the religious right, the traditional Religious Right leaders: Dobson, Robertson (McCain), Hagee, etc. have yet to endorse him. The religious right is splintered, as abortion and gay marriage are no longer the only issues evangelicals dicsuss. The old cronies don't have the power, and Republicans know Huckabee can't raise any money. Diversity and individual thinking are not what they're used to- and look at the splintering.

January 3, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  7. Don

Huckabee? They might just as well have chosen Pat Robertson. The idea that Huckabee has a chance of mounting a genuinely viable national campaign is pure fantasy. The man displays a knowledge of issues and problems that is not very much beyond the intellectual capacity of a common house plant. I am pleased that the Iowa GOP got to choose someone who can operate a church pulpit, but I am disappointed that there was so little attention paid to the subject of fiscal responsibility, useless wars and enforcement of U.S. immigration law, as well as the slow destruction of our economy. As things stand now, given the results of the evening, we're looking at the makings of another lesser-of-two-evils choice.

January 3, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. Rafi, NY NY

Yeah, because voting on religion really worked well the last two times.

January 3, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  9. Buddy Vail

Hey, maybe Oprah endorsed Muslim's can fight global warming for us...or should I say the former US. Our society is much like the fallen Roman society where the "if it feels good, do it" mentality was prominent. I used to vote for the lesser of the evils and not much by affiliation. Now, I don't have a plan...

January 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  10. Big Worm

I love the fact that Romney joined the party of bigots and he just wasn't quite the right shade of white/christian and ended up getting stabbed in the back for it. If Romney was a democrat do you think he would have lost because he is Mormon? Don't think so...

January 3, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  11. Ian Webster

Fascism will come in the form of a cross wrapped in the flag. Everyone, I give you Mike Huckabee, Fascist 2008!!!! This country is so stupid...

January 3, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  12. Oregon

"Huckabee won 56 percent of those who said religious values matter a great deal. That number drops to 30 percent who say religion somewhat matters, 15 percent who say religion doesn't matter much, and only 5 percent among those who say religion does not matter at all."

That's really disturbing. I agree with Rafi. Why are we letting religion become the primary factor while casting ballots? American people and the media need to focus more on who is the most qualified candidate and less on where they go Sunday mornings.

January 3, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  13. Mike

It's interesting that the youngest voters supported the most inexperienced candidate. They can relate.

January 3, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  14. jm

Im writing in Jerry Brown!!!!!

January 3, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  15. Thomas J.

The same youngest voters voted Kennedy over Nixon. Now Kennedy is a National Hero. Now Nixon is a National disgrace. If you want experience, I'll give you Dick Cheney and Rumsfeld. Some idiocy has no limit.

January 4, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  16. Lorraine in Atlanta

I consider myself a Bible-believing, born-again, conservative Christian, but I can assure I will NOT be voting for Huckabee, or another Republican for that matter. I noticed in Blitzer's stats tonight, he pretty much suggested all Evangelicals represent an automatic vote for Huckabee. Though that may be a solid generalization for voters about 40 yrs. old and up, I think we will see a shift in reasoning amongst younger, Christian voters. Consider the popularity of Bono, Christian authors Donald Miller and Gregory Boyd. Their powerful contributions, conversely compared to the failures of Christian leaders Ted Haggard and George W. Bush, and perhaps even the death of Jerry Fallwell, have had a significant impact on Christians in my generation, as well as those behind me. Perhaps I am too self-consumed to think other Christians between 18 – 39 will surprise the polls, but time will tell I suppose. As for me, I love Jesus with all my heart, and it is for that reason that I have become a strong supporter of the separation and church and state....and hope other Christians will follow suit.

January 4, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  17. Rob

Another Schneider "deep thought"

January 4, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  18. Gina

I agree with Rafi and Oregon, this is NOT about religion! It's about putting the best qualified person in office and again that is NOT supposed to be based on religious beliefs. Wake up people please. I don't want another 4 years of being discrimanated against, taxed beyond belief and treated like I'm a second class citizen (theres alot more but I don't think I could fit it all in). Not to mention that I'm really getting tired of having my constitutional rights slowly whittled away. Look what religion has gotten us the last 8 years, corruption, war, fear, hate, bigotry, scandles(we won't even go there), an economy that is quickly going in the toilet and the "Great religious man" you people put into office is the laughing stock of the freaking world (and for good reason, ever watch him give a speach!).
    And I'm sorry but if anyone in this country really believes that putting another "man of God" in office is going to fix the problems in this country then you seriously need to be medicated.
    I have nothing against religion or religious persons but I do have something against someone who uses God and religion to win a popularity contest (and that's what this is turning into).
    So come on people don't vote for someone because of religion vote for them because they can get the job done.

January 4, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  19. Ralph Guardino Ames IA

Dennis R. Petty: Please Denny try easing up on the drugs before posting yourself into a heart attack. It will all look better in the morning. And trust me Den, the sky isn't going to fall just yet.

January 4, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  20. David

Wow, way to go Iowa! How in the world did Iowa get a reputation for really analyzing the candidates and picking the best ones. While the democrats demestrated tonight that the wouldn't use predjudice in selecting a candidate, the white "mormon fearing" republicans have chosen a candidate that probably has no positive thing about him when it comes to policy. Only that he is of a familiar religion. It is good to see that Bigotry is alive and well in the heart of america. I sure hope we never give iowa this attention or respect again. They ruined everything tonight. You blew it.

January 4, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  21. Cory

Yeah Mike,

And what age were the majority of voters that put Bush in office....TWICE?

January 4, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  22. Jim

Funny thing about experience, we had some of the most 'inside the beltway'
    experienced individuals (Rumsfeld, Cheney et al) working away for us the past 8 years along with an experienced state governor and look at all the good things
    all that experience did for us… I'm with the youngsters

January 4, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  23. Trang, Fremont CA

I thought the vote in Iowa means they want civility in political discourse, not attacks.

January 4, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  24. Kyle

eh? i guess young people don't vote right?

2004 Dem Caucus: 5% under 30

2008 Dem Caucus: 22% under 30
    2008 Repub Caucus: 15% under 30

January 4, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  25. Antoinette

I agree with Oregon that religion has become the primary factor while casting votes. This is extremely disturbing. I am Christian but I believe our country is made up of many kinds of religion, races . . . Race and religion should not be the basis for electing our president. Issues concerning our country should be.

January 4, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |