January 3rd, 2008

Schneider: How Huckabee won

Mike Huckabee campaigned in Grinnell, Iowa Thursday.

Mike Huckabee campaigned in Grinnell, Iowa Thursday.

Mike Huckabee's victory in Iowa’s GOP caucus can be largely attributed to his overwhelming support among evangelical voters and women, our entrance polling shows.

Evangelicals constituted the majority of Republican caucus goers (60 percent), and our entrance polling shows Huckabee won 45 percent of that group. Mitt Romney, who has heavily courted social conservatives only drew 19 percent of those voters.

Huckabee also overwhelmingly won the female vote, picking up close to 45 percent of women, to only 23 percent for Romney.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Billy Ford

I'm undecided on Huckabee – but I'm getting sick of all the emotional and irrational rants against him.

Most of our country's previous presidents have been Christians. Why is everyone so up at arms that Huckabee is a Christian? In his 10.5 years as governor of Arkansas did he ever try to impose his religion on others? (To the guy that claims Huckabee would turn the U.S. into a Christian Taliban – you're an imbecile). You all need to stop freaking out over his faith, which every other major candidate also shares, both Republican and Democrat!!! If you don't agree with his stance on the major issues, fine. But why hate him? Many of you hate him because you're afraid of him and you're afraid of Christianity becoming too dominant in America, but again – how is Arkansas worse off after Huckabee's decade of leadership? You all are sounding like a bunch of anti-Christian bigots.

I like Huckabee's stance on most of the issues, I like the fact that he is witty and articulate (unlike George W.), I like his positive message, and I like his calm demeanor under pressure. My biggest question is whether he has the experience and understanding it takes to be the President, especially regarding foreign policy. He's likeable, he's a capable leader and campaigner, but his credentials for leading on a national and international level are questionable. But if he were wise enough to surround himself with good counsel, who knows?

January 4, 2008 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  2. missgirl

Hey Christians-keep your religion to yourselves and out of my government.
    This man is frightening-we will be even more of the laughinstocks of the world if he wins.

January 4, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  3. muukiithefinn

Honestly, people, listen to yourselves. Throwing around all these easy labels like "evangelicals", and "liberals" in order to demonize each other. It really saddens me that we are all so easily manipulated by the media in this way. People aren't that easy to pigeonhole, and as a whole we agree on far more issues than they would have us believe.

Ask yourself: why is the media interested in dividing the people?

Look into what goes unreported or under-reported (like the 15% of Republicans who voted "other").

And I hope that people remember how important the separation of church and state is.

January 4, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  4. Mike

As a pastor, Huckabee learned to speak to and with people, not at them. He learned to listen and address felt needs. Other candidates treat us as pawns in their power grab. Huck doesn't put on airs, but acts like one of us. As Governor, he lived in a trailor while the official residence was being worked on, instead of renting a high-dollar mansion. A family guy that works a part-time job playing backup in a band. Who wouldn't like him?

What gave Huckabee (and Obama) the edge in Iowa was that they were real people who refused to be mean. Not one negative ad from Huck, and very few from Obama.

The other thing that Huckabee did was to use MySpace and youTube to tell people who he is. I signed on after watching a 30-minute free videos that told better story than a 30-second sound bite ever could. This is the year that internet social networking overtakes TV advertising as the way to get elected. That's why the other candidates overspend Huck 10-1, and still can't tell us what kind of president they intend to be.

January 4, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  5. bill

It is scary alright Huckabee can be seen obviously lying about the intent of his dirty ad disclosure. This guy is smart opportunist and his base is many points below his IQ. This is what hucksterism is all about .

January 4, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. billybush

Huckabee won because independants and moderate Republicans chose to vote in the Democratic caucus rather than for the lackluster Republican candidates. Barack Obama was the chief beneficiary of this and Huckabee cleaned up on the leftovers.

January 4, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. EnderW

James E said: "Historically, evangelical and born again christians have been quite hostile to the people of the mormon religion. "

Dude, historically, and inthe present day, evangelical christians are hostile to anyone living that isn't in their cult.

These people are dangerous, they openly say they want the end of the world, and openly push for anything that can make that happen.

I hope these evangelicals and born-agains go nuts over the huckster and offend the whole country so that nobody will ever take them seriously again, and never put them in a position of responsibility.

January 4, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  8. JandD

A large portion of Republicans jumped over to vote for Obama. They do so because Republicans think the Republican nominee can beat Obama and NOT Clinton. Or it could be something as simple as Republican voters have NO confidence in ANY of the choices on the R side. I feel their pain LOL! As a Democrat I would vote for Huckabee because I believe his Christianity. The rest of the Republican field are wack. Clinton is the only Democratic candidate who can beat the Republicans and the only one who would expose the Bush dirty laundry which is why they want Obama to win. Obama will say, "Can't we just all get along," at the expense of letting America know the criminality of the Bush years. I for one want the Bush dirty laundry exposed.

January 4, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. Missmarple

January 3, 2008 9:28 pm ET

Yeah! Now we can get prayer into schools.

And we can throw out Evolution and Science and go strictly with Creationism.

January 4, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. Archibald

Posted by Missmarple

Yeah! Now we can get prayer into schools.

And we can throw out Evolution and Science and go strictly with Creationism.

I do hope that comment was meant to be sarcastic. Surely you are not advocating a further dumbing-down of our nation's schoolchildren?

January 4, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  11. A Deists

faith based leader, evangelical, born again. How did God hijack the R party, and why should the country care? Taxes, health care, Iraq, education, Immigration – NOPE, don't care we need to know if the person is a believer....What the hell is happening here. I want a candidate who believes in other fictitious characters like the Easter bunny and Santa Clause. Their platform should be do as Santa would do....I can buy into that.

Where is Thomas Paine when you need him?

January 4, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  12. Bob, Seattle

Mr. Huckabee will get even stronger when he picks up Ron Pauls votes.

January 4, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. Lona Tucker, Long Beach, CA

When Huckabee and his wife signed church papers saying a woman should be subservient to her husband I thought Christian Taliban. He cannot be true to both his country and his religion. He's scary and so are the "sheeple" who voted for him.

January 4, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  14. Chris, Middletown, CT

I didn't have time to finish the article....did it say "pander to the religious right wing"?? (yeah...as a Republican...I am sick to death of the right wing....)

Vote Giuliani....the only moderate running in either party

Are you a social liberal...and fiscal conservative...(join the 70% majority in your view) – there are NO other candidates who also support this position...

January 4, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  15. Wild boar

I'm a Kucinich fan. He wants a single-payer health system for all, proposing to buy out the insurance companies with bonds. He will end the war quickly. He has gone after Cheney's impeachment and I believe he would get Bush, Cheney, Powell, Rice, and the rest investigated and probably locked up for life.

Realistically, Dennis will not win. As an "African American" man, I will still vote for him unless he says go to Obama. That's the only way I would vote for BO right now. I need to read Obama's books to see how he thinks, because I don't really know.

I voted for Nader because I believed in his message and I knew Bush would teach the country a valuable lesson.

I also know that anyone who believes that a woman came from a man's rib, or that a man was born without the natural act and will physically return from thousands of years dead to save the world, is low-level insane.

Edwards would, at this point, be next for me after Dennis and Barack.

January 4, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. Richard, Ewing, NJ

Bo,

Maybe because James Dobson openly critize Huckabee and refuse to endose him? Maybe that is why the media did not report the "connection" between them.?!? Maybe James Dobson and Huckabee was rival in the struggle between the religious right and religious left? Maybe Huckabee is what people call a religious left? Maybe?

January 4, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. Oh, please!

I see the coverage on CNN and Bill Schneider's reporting conveniently leave out some inconvenient facts. We are told that about 239,000 democrats came out to caucus, and that Barack Obama got 39% of them. What they NEVER show is how many Republicans came out to give Huckabee his 34%. How many was it Bill? My guess is that it was significantly less than 239,000. Bad news for conservatives, but you'll never see Schneider or CNN mention it.

The other fact they leave out is the number of republicans who voted in the Democratic caucus. Iowa Republicans have a rule that prevents anyone but themselves from participating in their caucus, but the Democrats allow anyone to vote. So my second question for CNN and Schneider is, "How many GOPers voted in the Democrat caucus?" It's easy to pile on Hilary Clinton and John Edwards as losers when the opposition gets to vote against them. Hilary suffers a devastating loss but Grampa Fred and Rudy the player, are still in it? Come on, that BS only works on Rush and Billo"s "missing chromosome" audiences.

January 4, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. G

ALL OF THE GOP CANDIDATES ARE RELIGIOUS. INCLUDING RON PAUL.
    THE DIFFERENCE IS, HICKABEE WANTS TO GIVE THE WHITE HOUSE TO
    JESUS. THIS WILL APPEAL ONLY TO RELIGIOUS EXTREMISTS. THIS
    WILL NOT WORK IN OTHER STATES. HOPEFULLY, THE VOTERS WILL
    PUT THE ISSUES AND POLICIES OF THE CANDIDATES ABOVE ALL
    OTHER CONSIDERATIONS. THIS COUNTRY IS IN A MESS. WE NEED
    A CANDIDATE WITH THE WISDOM OF OUR FOUNDING FATHERS.

I'M TIRED OF HEARING THAT HICKABEE IS AUTHENTIC. HE'S SUCH
    A PHONEY. HE IS CERTAINLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE...SOFT ON
    CRIME... TAX INCREASES... WAS HE AGAINST THE INVASION OF
    IRAQ? I DON'T THINK SO. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THE ONLY GOP
    CANDIDATE THAT HAD THE SENSE TO BE AGAINST THE IRAQ
    INVASION, IS RON PAUL. AND RON PAUL BEING IN THE DOUBLE
    DIGITS IN IOWA, WHERE THEY PUT THEIR SUPERSTITIONS BEFORE
    THE WELFARE OF THEIR COUNTRY, WILL SURPRISE EVERYBODY
    IN N.H., THE LIVE FREE OR DIE, INDEPENDENT THINKER STATE.
    I BELIEVE THAT THE MAJORITY OF N.H. GOP VOTERS WILL
    RECOGNIZE THE NEED FOR LIBERTARIAN VALUES IN THE W. H.
    CONSTITUTIONAL GOV'T, FOREIGN DIPLOMACY, TRADE AND
    NEUTRALITY, PRESERVING SOCIAL SECURITY (H.R. 219) AND
    REPEAL OF LAWS THAT RESTRICT OUR LIBERTIES.

January 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. Richard, Ewing, NJ

Oh, please!,

I don't know. I was watching the FOX news and I got those information. Maybe you are not paying attention. Or worse, you did not stay late enough to watch the final result. You do understanding the Democratic causus result came back faster than the Republican result, right? So viewers will get the Democratic turnout a bit earlier too.

January 4, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Jennifer Out West

I can't speak for the Catholics, but most of the Mormons I know are deeply offended by Mike Huckabee. They feel he leveraged the bigotry of Evangelical Christians to win Iowa.

I have yet to meet a Mormon (and I know many) who would even consider voting for Huck. They'll stay home first. It's hard to say if that would have any impact on the race.

I'm deeply disappointed in Iowa's so-called Christian voters myself . It gauls me to read Huckabee fans hoping the rest of the country won't hold Huck's religion against him. Isn't that exactly what he asked Iowans to do to Mitt Romney?

What's really interesting is that Romney gets dinged by Iowa voters for going negative because he contrasted his positions on issues. But both Huck and McCain can make personal attacks and they get a pass. Calling someone dishonest is not about public policy – that's a character slam. Show me where Romney has attacked either of these men personally?

If anything should be fair game in an election, it's someone's voting record. Nothing is more relevant than that. But personal attacks should be off limits.

January 5, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  21. Roger

but Romney is dishonest. Its a truthful statement. Then again, my friend is also dishonest when he says i look rather dashing in a brown shirt, but which of these examples of dishonesty is more disturbing?

January 8, 2008 05:46 am at 5:46 am |