January 3rd, 2008

Schneider: How Huckabee won

Mike Huckabee campaigned in Grinnell, Iowa Thursday.

Mike Huckabee campaigned in Grinnell, Iowa Thursday.

Mike Huckabee's victory in Iowa’s GOP caucus can be largely attributed to his overwhelming support among evangelical voters and women, our entrance polling shows.

Evangelicals constituted the majority of Republican caucus goers (60 percent), and our entrance polling shows Huckabee won 45 percent of that group. Mitt Romney, who has heavily courted social conservatives only drew 19 percent of those voters.

Huckabee also overwhelmingly won the female vote, picking up close to 45 percent of women, to only 23 percent for Romney.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. John W

As a Republican, this news is depressing!

Huckabee is liberal on so many issues (taxes, illigal immigration, not inforcing the law). Just because you're religious, does not make one a conservitive.

I really had my hopes up for Fred Thompson. Oh well. One state down, 49 left to go.

January 3, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  2. schneider

It seems there was just a glitch.. Now the percentages of Linn County are in the normal range.

January 3, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. James E

Yes, we will have a faith based leader for 2008. Both of the frontrunners are strong christians.

January 3, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  4. Richard, Ewing NJ

Steverino,

Are you kidding me? Have you take a statistic class? 65% of the precincts have reported. Huckabee beat Romney by about 10%. Game over.

January 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  5. robert b.

you can already see the venom coming from the liberals because of the Huckabee win .they are so prejudice but believe that they are not , it is easy to see the real truth, but they will never see it. they do not want to see the truth but they cannot avoid it ,none of us will. go mike.

January 3, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. Kammie in TN

This is a Christian nation... it follows that we will have a Christian leader.

January 3, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. Richard

Memo to Becky:

Caucuses stink only if you don't participate. There is no intrinsic reason why ideological or programatic candidates like Huckabee (or Paul) are any better or worse than consensus based middle of the roaders like Romney or McCain. Sometimes more of the same is the problem, not the solution.

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  8. Tom Dedham, Mass

For people to base their WHOLE political ideology on someones faith in this day and age is alarming. Iowa needs to have this "first in the nation" stronghold taken away from them.

Isn't this the same group of Republicans that voted for Pat Robertson for the very same STUPID reason?

Obama winning on the other hand is huge for the LONE FACT that Iowa I believe has very few African Americans and minorities, so it DOES show that Democratic whites will vote for him regardless of his color.

They show more reasoning and I applaud them for that.

The Republicans in this state however, should be ashamed.

Huckabee can not take this holier than thou act on the road in too many places, and yes, thank "god" for that.

They actually had a Huckabee supporter on and they asked him, "Why Huckabee" and he said "I agree with more of his policies than Romney", he was then asked what ones in particular and after a long pause he responded "He's not Mormon to begin with".

Nuff said.

January 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. R. Biddle

I'm a conservative Democrat and I like Huckabee. I think he is the most honest of all the Republicans running. He proved that he can make things happen when he was governor of Arkansas with the Democrats having a super majority in both houses. He wanted to cut taxes on groceries, he's held business taxes low, and property taxes low. Even though Romney gives him flack about taxes Arkansas is still a much cheaper taxed state than Massachusetts. I think Huckabee is the most genuion person the Republicans have. And on the Democrat side i think Obama is the most genuion. And I applaud Gov. Huckabee for not going negative, negative politics have got us where we are today and we don't have any trust in our government to get things done. Gov Huckabee is honestly focused on getting things done I must say.

January 3, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  10. Gregg

What is the matter with the people? Look what we have had the last years because we had our heads in the sand then. Think, Think and look before you leap. It seems hard that with all the muslin problems we have in the world that we now have one running for the president of this beautiful country. People be careful what you do because our country is taking a beating from every area and every person. Be CAREFUL FOR WHAT YOU WISH FOR

January 3, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  11. Richard Henaghan, Gansevoort, NY

This shows how sad the Republican party choices are. Looks like the Democratic party choices in the last Presidential election. The world is looking at the U.S. saying, "WOW, they just don't get it". Here's an idea Republican voters, get your party back! The evangelicals are still very organized, even with all the hypocritical and mean-spirited leaders getting caught with sleazy and criminal activity going on with their leaders. I'd hate to be a republican because this is EXACTLY the same crap that has been going on in the Islamic party, where right wing fanatics have hijacked their party thus giving the rest of the world a twisted and maligned view of their beliefs and values.

January 3, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  12. James E

Does anyone really believe Huckabee will do well in states that vote based on the issues, rather than religion?

I'm sorry to all of the Mike fans, but in states that are dealing with immagration issues, Mike Huckabee will not win. People who care about national security and the economy will not vote for him. His entire campaign is based on his religious views. And in Iowa, that is how he got his votes.

There are many bloggers that believe that putting Huckabee in the White House in not only dangerous, but outright dumb.

And sorry Mike, but I strongly agree.

January 3, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  13. Lou

I am sick as a Republican (as Bush wasn't enough). When did love for Jesus become more important than small government, low taxes, individualism, and liberty.? If it wasn't for Ron Paul, I'd be an independent right now. So the Republicans have been overrun by nutjob evangelicals and the Democrats by nutjob socialists. There's no party for me anymore.

January 3, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  14. Grace

Obama is not a muslim and what if he were?
    While I think he needs more depth...I respect him as a genuine and good individual

January 3, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  15. Richard, Ewing NJ

James E,

Important point is not Huckabee will get the nomination. The important point is Romney is most likely defeated for good despite he has the most money and spent the most money. Romney is already clearly behind McCain in New Hampshire in the most recent 6 polls. Losing Iowa is devastating by such a large margin is horrible (34% to 25%). McCain in all likelihood will beat the crap out of Romney in New Hampshire. Romney's entire campaign is based on winning Iowa and New Hampshire back to back. The whole strategy is gone.

January 3, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  16. Richard Henaghan, Gansevoort, NY

It's not a "muslin" problem or even a "Muslim" problem. It's a group of extremist in the current Administration and a group of Islamic extremist that have hijacked a religion.
    Clinton got away with getting elected because he was a very charismatic and smart man. Huckabee seems like a nice and sincere guy, but I'm not sure you will see a Preacher from Arkansas as a U.S. President anytime soon.

January 3, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  17. BillyBoy982

Brought to you by the same state that voted for Pat Robertson in 1988 caucuses

January 3, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  18. Marianne Beasley

I am from Arkansas, I was born here, I have lived here for 55 years. I think Huck is pathetic, he's a buffoon, he would be as embarassing for the country as Dubya now is. What did he do for Arkansas? Not much. He lost 120 lbs, but does that make him qualified to be president? What a sad state of affairs if that sack of blubber gets the White House.

January 3, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  19. Alex

They already have – see Election year 2000.

RE: wanker January 3, 2008 9:23 pm ET
    Don't let the media write history folks.

January 3, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  20. Matt from NY

Why in CNN's pie chart doe they NOT show Ron Paul who has at this hour 10% – putting Paul and Rudy in a "other" category. Why do they cut it off at McCain who only has 13%. Paul is beating Rudy 3 to 1? CNN is clearly playing God by not giving Paul the exposure they are offering to the mainstream candidates! And I hear FOX is not allowing Paul into their next debate because of the national polls?

The corporate media machine continues to block or ridicule Paul's tranformational message. RISE UP!

January 3, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  21. I heart Huckabee

Huckabee is going to storm the south like the Union Army!

January 3, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  22. Hananiel

This is great news for America. After so many things wrong may be we can get something right. Huckabee is a genuine person likeable by everyone. I hope he doesn't get sidelined because of his evangelical roots. I hope he lifts the country out of the liberal/ conservative, democrat / republican divide to doing the right thing for the country. If he doesnt make it I love Obama too.
    These are guys that can make a difference.
    God Bless IOWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 3, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  23. Ms Jacksonville

I am an Obama supporter, but I am also happy that Huckabee won. Both are agents of change for their respective parties. The establishment conservatives are gnashing their teeth right now because they put all of their venom and hate and propoganda and spent all of their money and it still wasn't enough to defeat Gov. Huckabee. I don't agree with Huckabee on most issues, but it is easy to see that he is honest about his convictions and he cares about the common man. The christian right is tired of lip service from big business conservatives. I am quite amused at this turn of events because this is payback to the GOP machine for George W. Bush and all the other fake wanna-be christian conservatives who are really wolves in sheep's clothing. I love it.

Congratulations Senator Obama! I am so proud to be an American today.

January 3, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  24. That's Reality

Lou, You ask, "When did love for Jesus become more important than small government, low taxes..." Have you ever heard of the Ten Commandments? God said, "You shall love the Lord God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength." But fear not; he also said, "and love your neighbor as yourself." Huckabee isn't scary; those who don't know or care about Christ are the ones to beware of. Christ is good for any soul or nation. Let's not forget that He (Christ) also said "He who is not for me is against me." I would vote for someone whose faith is truly in Christ before I would vote for someone who's faith is in mankind. By the way, I think Mr. Huckabee is FOR small government, low taxes, individualism, and liberty.

January 3, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  25. Kris In Atlanta

These so-called evangelical voters are a major part of what is wrong with American politics. Huckabee is too far to the right, too unpredictable, and too unsophisticated to win the White House. Right now, the right wing extremists on Fox are celebrating but the evangelical lovefest with Huckabee is gonna implode. The man seems to not believe prisons are good places for murderers and rapists. His infatuation with abortion is ironic; he's busy trying to save unborn lives while people already living are being massacred en masse in Iraq. As a Democrat, I was hoping Huck wins because he'll be much easier to expose and discredit in November. Aside from his religious extremism, he has not a leg to stand on. And Americans are sick of the pietous religionists whose message is love but whose practices have brought nothing but division, discrimination, bloodshed, and agony to the rest of the nation. A vote for Huckabee is a vote for Bush W. Part 2. And as I said before, the sequel is always much worse than the original.

January 3, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |