January 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Obama wins the woman vote

Oprah Winfrey, who has a loyal following among women, campaigned with Sen. Obama.

Hillary Clinton has largely courted female voters as she battles to become the first woman president. But in what is bad news for Clinton, exit polling shows Obama beat the New York senator 35 percent to 30 percent among women caucus goers.

Clinton only won among women in the 60 years-old and over demographic. 43 percent of those women voters went for Clinton, compared to 26 percent for Edwards and 19 percent for Obama.

But the Illinois Democrat won among women in every other age demographic.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. ROSS TUCSON

How funny is this? SHE lost the WOMEN's vote!!!!!

January 3, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. go go

Should our enviroment be a topic of discussion?

January 3, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  3. Tom

"But the Illinois Democrat won among women in every other age demographic among women"

What's wrong with the above sentence, in the above sentence?

Editors on strike, too?

January 3, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  4. Evelyn Law

Hillary Clinton: " I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas . .. "
    Today's Woman Voter: "I supposed I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but I went out and voted for Obama instead." We have very long memories and do not want a co-presidency with a former president who is immoral. The Clintons will do anything for power and Hillary faces the same problem she has always faced: no one likes or trusts her.

January 3, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  5. Buddy Vail

Obama's win with the women is obviously due to Oprah. That to me is a shame. Oprah is not a Christian nor do I believe is Obama. This country needs a revival and a strong Christian candidate to encourage publically this need. I wish people would understand the needs of OUR society and fully research candidates in order to vote accordingly. Casting a vote based on what Oprah says is ignorant without deep research.

January 3, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Um, Obama is a Christian. (Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.) Please check your facts before commenting.

January 3, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  7. David in Kansas City

Buddy Vail declares that Oprah isn't a Christian! He also declares Obama isn't either! Got some insider info there or have you not heard Oprah over the decades praising Jesus on her show and talking Spiritualism with God over & over.
    Like many religious fundamentalists you spraypaint people that aren't YOUR pinstripe brand of Christianity as Not Christian. A common tactic of hate filled Christian Fascists. The nutjobs on the far right don't have half the power they did just 7 years ago.

January 3, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. LQ ROCHESTER MN

Buddy, I do not care if Obama is Christian. (BTW, he is). This country needs a revival but not a strong Christian candidate. I could care less if the president is an atheist, Mormon, Christian, Hindu, Muslim – I DON'T CARE. What I care is what does the candidate care about? Does he plan to end the illegal war in Iraq and bring our troops home? What about fixing this economy which only repubs seem to think is working? Health care? Outrageous prescription drug prices? Tax cuts that therefore caused funding cuts in health care programs for economically disadvantaged people? I care more that the candidate has intelligence, integrity and compassion – not the person's religion.

You can be a good productive member of society and not be Christian.

If I vote for Obama – which I will definitely do if he is the nominee, I'm torn between him and Biden when it comes my state's time – it will have nothing to do with Oprah. I really like Obama and have never done ANYTHING because Oprah thinks I should. I am almost 54 years old (and a white female) and I don't think I have ever watched her show.

So get your nose out of the Bible and do your own research.

January 3, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  9. Christine

Although I did not personally back Obama, I do not believe that he should not be our President because his celebrity actually helped him win here in Iowa. If the celebrity that backs your candidate had helped your person win, could I jab at your candidate and say that he is shameful? Did your candidate not have a celebrity? As for the Christian aspect you are looking for, you should be looking for a President that is able to keep their religion separate from their decision making. There is a reason for separation of church and state. I firmly believe in every persons right to choose a candidate on their own, but I just ask that you be fair and hold your person up to the same standards as you hold others up to. I married a republican and I love him dearly. We may not see eye to eye, but we educate ourselves on why we feel the way we do and we hold our standards up to everyone, even the people we support.

January 3, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. RHH

so, Buddy, is "full research" just seeing which religious box the candidates check? Bush claims to be a Christian, got all the rightwingers to get him in the office, and he's run the most corrupt administration in recent history.

Maybe it'd be good for the "revival" of America if we stopped using religion as a way to classify and divide people.

January 3, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  11. Craig of Salisbury

Bravo to all Iowans. The two leading candidates from both parties accurately reflects party differences. It was mentioned earlier that the race may have pitted generation vs. religion, and this theme may be an obvious and superficial read. I do, however, think that too simple an explanation; the real race isn't about religion, age or gender–it is about 'change'.

Again, bravo to all Iowans–you stood above the fray and voted your conscience. Thanks..., and congratulations to Obama and Edwards, and, Huckabee and Romney.

Craig

January 3, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  12. Jessyn

It is probably due to Oprah, who is simply more widely trusted and respected than Hillary. Obama is indeed a Christian, but thankfully he is not dominated by it – which is good news in a time when religion has too much power in deciding policy. I'd like to see an atheist candidate win and clean out the unfortunate relationship between politics and religious rubbish once and for all. But not as much as I'd like to see an overall strong candidate like Obama take the lead.

January 3, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  13. Gem

Evelyn Law January 3, 2008 10:50 pm ET

Marital problems or infidelity is personal. He made that personal mistake. As a US President, running the country, Bill Clinton have done many great things especially our economy. Remember the trillion dollars he saved.

Maybe people has to be more specific about the " no one likes or trust her". Why? enumerate.

Obama has to specify change. Maybe he should show his Illinois state records about the changes he did while as a state senator in IL.

GOPs are loving this Obama's winning. GOPs prefer to face Obama and Edwards.

RON PAUL for President!

January 3, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. Russ

63% did not vote for obama
    don't count chickens until after Feb 5th

January 3, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  15. Buddy Vail

Wow...look at all the haters I awoke! I love it! Keep drinkin' that Hatorade!

January 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  16. RHH

Yes, Buddy. We all hate Christianity. You win. Good job.

January 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  17. Christine from Iowa

Buddy,

Do you realize how childish your comment is? Hatorade??? Really??? I don't hate all republicans or all overly enthusiastic Christians like yourself. I just dislike the uneducated ones, or those who can't hold discussions like a grown up. I would like to see you argue your superb candidate without bashing others! When you can do that, you can move to the grown up table.

January 3, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  18. Lori Sandberg

If Hucklebee or Obama are the nominations, I hope thier is a viable independent
    canidate. I: hate to think the election will be influenced by Oprah and the far right.

January 3, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  19. Jimenez

Lonely women voted for Obama. Some probably think he is a good looking fella. I hope your yearning for a good looking guy can save this country. Wake up! It's not Oprah. Even I can't blame this on Oprah. It is truly a sad sad day that Iowa gave to our country tonight's results. Oh well "it's not over – it has just begun."

January 3, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  20. Kimberly Watson

I'm a political Independent; a statistical outlier. Tonight I shed tears of joy at the results from Iowa.

Barack Obama represents the best chance from the field of uniting our fractured country. He is black, and he is white. He brings the plight of African-Americans and other minorities to me, a Caucasian "mutt," more clearly than any before him. He represents my distaste and displeasure with pure capitalist gain at the expense of the man-on-the-street better than any other candidate. He genuinely wants to see us do better for all our countrymen and -women with regard to health care, retirement, and opportunity. He respects my lack of religion and desire to remove the sacred from government, and he respects my right to attend to my body and life without judgment and according to the law of our land. He anticipates bringing our most honorable servicemen and -women home from an unjust and unwarranted war that was misguided, although likely well-intentioned.

Our current divisive policies and politics are not enough; they are not representative, and they are not working. Kudos to Senator Obama for a huge win, and for walking the walk he talks rather than preaching from his ivory tower.

January 3, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  21. Nancy NH

His no substance preaching will fade, it was a very tight race, though he would wipe the floor with the others...hardly...Iowa woman who voted for obama should feel ashamed and pray they can afford to take their child to a Doctor!

Hillary/Edwards 2008!

January 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  22. homosapiens

The "Christians" who make comments like those above seem to be of two types: either the candidate has to flaunt his/her Christianity, and they risk winding up with (and supporting!) someone like Bush; or they want someone with "Christian values", which are basically the same values, for the political world, that good Jews, Muslims, humanists, etc. also have.

Let's look for the values in the candidates' actions, and let them believe what they want.

January 4, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  23. fabooj, Los Angeles, CA

Hatorade? My goodness are you 7? I haven't heard that since 9th grade and that was 20 years ago. LOL...You got called on your nonfactual statements–lies, in other words, Buddy–no need to get childish about it.

January 4, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  24. Jarhead

As an X-Marine and one that love and trust God I'm overly tired of the self righteous people in this country that wear their religion around there necks, no where close to being in their hearts. They pick and choose what scriptures to stand on while totaly ignoring the rest. If the Devil himself were to come and claim to be a Christian he would have this country in his hands. Not full of the unsaved mind you but of those whom are full of religion but have no personal relationships of their own with God Almighty.

January 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  25. Liz

If it's time to vote for a woman president, it's not Hillary.
    She is not even a good role model for today's women.

I still stick with choosing the best president for our country.

January 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |