January 3rd, 2008

Schneider: Obama wins the woman vote

Oprah Winfrey, who has a loyal following among women, campaigned with Sen. Obama.

Hillary Clinton has largely courted female voters as she battles to become the first woman president. But in what is bad news for Clinton, exit polling shows Obama beat the New York senator 35 percent to 30 percent among women caucus goers.

Clinton only won among women in the 60 years-old and over demographic. 43 percent of those women voters went for Clinton, compared to 26 percent for Edwards and 19 percent for Obama.

But the Illinois Democrat won among women in every other age demographic.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Gobama, NY, NY

Russ
    "63% did not vote for obama"

And an even GREATER PERCENTAGE of Iowans did not vote for the DISTANT LOSERS behind Obama. LOL

Iowa, the most Enlightened State of the Union shows the nation the best choice for President - Obama!

January 4, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  2. Spc Davis

Yea BUDDY!!!!!! I am voting For the Black man because well I am WHITE and I just simply LIke him to be my commander in chief regardless of his race and military back ground he is a prime example of what americans are all about.

January 4, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  3. military girl

OBAMA IN 2008 IS WHAT I CARE ABOUT

January 4, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  4. Annie S.Cian

Is America ready to have a black president in the sacred halls of the White House, the official shrine of the President? Have his portrait hang with Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Kennedy etc...? Is it a part of the "Change" Obama is talking about?

If so, all the more power to him. The American civil rights movement have come a long way and Martin Luther King, Jr's "dream" has finally been fulfilled.

January 4, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  5. Annie S.Cian

January 4, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  6. Annie S.Cian

Is America ready to have a black president in the White House and have his portrait hanging with Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Kennedy etc...?

January 4, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  7. Tim

After tonight, Obama owns the change message. It is early, but I have to respectfully disagree with a previous poster who commented that they GOP is loving this Obama victory.....I am not so sure.
    I think the GOP wants to face Clinton. They know its one of few ways to rally their party faithful to the polls. According to the Iowa caucus turn out results, it was 2 to 1 over the republican turnout. That bodes well for general election turnout on the dem side.
    Without Hillary as the guranteed nominee anymore to rally them, and the turnout and the vote pointing to change candidates like Obama, Republicans are in trouble.
    I am still uncecided, but I am impressed with Obama tonight.

January 4, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  8. trish

I like Barack Obama but have you noticed that his eyes are always half closed and his mouth wide open. This is concerning to me as most who have a drug addiction look much the same way. There should be a thorough investigation into his past and present. I know by his own admission he has been on illicit drugs in the past. When the word "change" is used so aggressively, I wonder if it means for the better or for the worse.

January 4, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  9. NRB

Who cares. All of the leading Dems are nothing but communists. Hold onto your wallets folks. They're coming.

January 4, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  10. al

Some people never move up to the grown up table. Start settling things the true way it was meant to be by our founding fathers and maybe then you can comment on more things than those that make you angry. Obama vs Huckabee sounds like a great way to get the ball rolling.

January 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  11. Jstducky

I don't claim to know a huge amount about the workings of politics. I just know that this election has been the most talked about and enthusiastically looked forward to any that I have seen in my 52 years on this earth. Tonight surprised me without a doubt, but, mostly because I have failed to really pay attention to the polls and such the past few weeks. I expected this to be historical in many ways, and the surprises are already starting. I think that people are generally desparate for something to make this country strong and respected again. Although we are good for helping other countries, we are now at a time when it is apparent that perhaps we should have been working on ourselves a tad bit???
    As someone who was caught in the unacceptable medical situation in the U.S., Let me say that while that stupid war is definately a main issue, to me it is the most important change that has to come that all people have medical and pharmacutical access. I have heard about preventative medicine as being the way to stop further costs later, but I think we have to have the coverage to do that.
    Yes, I am rambling, but, I am trying to put in two cents and not offend anyone.
    I hope that is better than debating some of the above.
    Thanks for reading.
    kelly in oregon

January 4, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  12. c

It's just possible that women are able to make up their minds without being told what to do by Oprah W. She helped to get Obama some attention, but voters had a pretty good set of choices tonight. He closed the deal, and did it with an amazing increase in turnout.

January 4, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  13. Kin Dondo

I wasn't totally surprised that Obama won! It's time for change! I believe that Obama will make a difference. I encourage everyone to vote for him in this year's election. Let's bring our boys home from Iraq as a top priority! Enough is enough!

January 4, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  14. Chad from Seattle

I actually do hate Christianity. I'm ok with that. It's childish to think there's an imaginary man in the sky who gives a rat's nosehair about your day to day business. That's just ridiculous. It's Santa Claus for grown-ups. This is a deliberately secular country. Our founding fathers had the chance to explicitly create a state religion. They deliberately chose not to. Again and again, they protected us from tying religion to the function of the state. Religion, if anything, is even less relevant now than it was in their day. Back then people were a generation away from burning witches, and still using leeches as medicine. Louis Pasteur hadn't even confirmed the germ theory of disease. For all they knew, there really could have been such things as demons and spirits. Today we have a much better idea of how the world works, and we don't need a sky-Daddy to fill in the blanks.
    All that's beside the point. Obama IS a Christian, much to my dismay, but I'll still vote for him because I vote on the issues, not on faith. Though I'm sure glad I'm not a Republican, because there's no way I could vote for a candidate whose religion thinks that if your multiple 14yo brides squirt out enough offspring, you get a whole planet to yourself in the afterlife. Madness. Don't even get me started on Ron Paul...he's about as stable as the unabomber.

January 4, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  15. TJ

I don't care who wins, Democrate or Republican at the end, as long as it's not Hilary Clinton. If she wins, I am moving to Canada.

January 4, 2008 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  16. Dan (Columbia, MD)

Hillary LOST the women's vote because she (and her handlers) take the women's vote for granted.

I'm not an Obama supporter (Ron Paul FTW!) but I think that he's a man of integrity.

Hillary on the other hand... not so much.

January 4, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  17. Andy, New York, New York

When you are HILLARY CLINTON and you cannot win women voters, it's time to pack up and go back to Arkansas. Forget about returning to New York, because she used New York and she still did not succeed in her dream.

Oprah is a powerful celebrity who is popular with women, especially whites. I mean, the woman can make a novel you write into a national bestseller if she says it is a good book. That's powerful stuff right there! So when she said she spoke with Obama several times, find he is consistent and brutally honest and cares, then when she sells Obama to the voters, that's it!

Ever wondered why Bill Clinton has appeared on Oprah so many times, but not once has Hillary ever made an appearance?

January 4, 2008 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  18. Diane, NYC, NY

Gem,

You're right. Marital fidelity is a personal problem.

When the most senior male in an organisation violates one of the most junior women on his staff with a cigar in his office during work hours, that's NOT a personal problem.

I don't dislike Mrs Clinton for supporting her marriage. But as a professional woman, I despise her for not taking a stance that the sort of behaviour her husband demonstrated should never, ever be tolerated in a place of work. Mrs Clinton lashed out at the junior staff member instead – what does that really say about her 'support for women and children' – especially considering that the staff member involved was barely older than Mrs Clinton's daughter at the time?

It may be old news, but this is a huge reason why many professional women won't support Mrs Clinton. She is not one of us.

January 4, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  19. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

Hillary Clinton is going to win the democratic nomination. I am stunned that 8 years after choosing an "unknown" over a well-respected, well-known vice-president who is today a nobel prize winner, we're at it again. Barack Obama is just as George Bush was 8 years ago-an unknown. And we all know how that one went. It's time to get an experienced, well-known candidate into the Whitehouse. The only one left today is Hillary Clinton. Wake-up people!!! What is Obama pumping into the air vents at his rallies? He stands there spouting out platitudes and SAYING nothing, and you people clap and swoon like it means something. Vote for Hillary!!! Our country can't afford another rookie!!!

January 4, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  20. MA

Question, without the obvious Oprah push, would he have won the women vote?

January 4, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  21. David, Gilbert Arizona

Buddy, I'm a republican and support Huckabee but not because he's a christian. I support him based on the issues, such as the fair tax program. To say we should vote for Huckabee because he's a christian is a stupid as saying we should vote for Hillary because she's a woman. Both mindsets are ignorant.

January 4, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. Dude

I recently watched the Polar Express... this country needs a Prez that believes in Santa. Also, as an added bonus, it wouldn't hurt if our next commander in chief believed that Elvis still lives, and was brave enough to shout it from the rooftops.

January 4, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  23. Scott, Madison, WI

Unlike she's-a-man-baby-Coulter, I have always thought this gender is very bright!

January 4, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  24. Harold

The Clintons should stop being so greedy for power. 8 years – that's enough.

But I don't want to be cruel to Hillary or her supporters.

Truth is, we need change, and Barack Obama is the man. Democrats let's all unite behind Barack.

One nation – one voice!

January 4, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  25. Harold

LQ ROCHESTER MN:

I'm so proud to read your comments. Well done, and well said!

Go Obama!