January 3rd, 2008

Schneider: What Obama's Iowa win could mean in South Carolina

Almost half of Democratic primary voters in South Carolina are African-American.

(CNN) - Barack Obama just won a state whose population is less than 4 percent African-American. On January 26, he will be on the ballot in a state with a considerably higher percentage of African-Americans: South Carolina, where that demographic makes up nearly 50 percent of Democratic primary voters there.

African-Americans have been intensely loyal to the Clintons, and continue to support Hillary Clinton over Obama in the Palmetto State. But that gap has significantly narrowed in recent weeks - and with this key win tonight, it's unlikely they will stand in his way there.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. BW

ALL Christians are not voting for Huckabee.

January 4, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Harold

The Clintons should stop being so greedy for power. 8 years – that's enough.

But I don't want to be cruel to Hillary or her supporters.

Truth is, we need change, and Barack Obama is the man. Democrats let's all unite behind Barack.

One nation – one voice!

January 4, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  3. GaVoter

Obama is going to win Georgia too...

January 4, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  4. David, Gilbert Arizona

I'd be careful about blowing the Iowa caucus horn too loudly. Historically Iowa has not done well when it comes to predicting who the next president will be. The majority of the times when Iowa has chosen the winning president was when the individual ran unopposed.

Iowa has made the wonderful decisions in the past to back great candidates like Dick Gephardt, Jimmy Carter (second run), Walter Mondale, Bob Dole (twice), and George Bush when he ran against Ronald Reagan in 1980.

January 4, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  5. Ginny CA

Wow! Plenty of elation here for the Obama supporters. I understand that but, hey, it ain't over yet. Obama won 16 delegates to the national convention, Hillary 15, and Edwards 14. Edwards finished 1/2 of a percentage point over Hillary, so that is basically a tie for second. This race is wide-open and all 3 top candidates had a strong finish in Iowa so they're heading to New Hampshire with the same stong momentum (in spite of CNN's Obama-biased reporting).

Fortunately the voices of Clinton and Edwards have not been drowned out by Obama's oratory skills. I would have thought that, by spending so much money on slick tv ads to saturate Iowa stations, and whipping his rally audiences into such a frenzy, Obama would have had a stronger finish. Guess it goes to show that voters are listening to the very real messages and specific agendas of Edwards and Clinton afterall. I think over-the-top hype will only carry Obama so far and then he's going to have to come up with some sort of specific agenda of his own, with clear-cut details of how he intends to effect "change". So far, only Edwards and Clinton have clearly detailed their plans which will change and improve the lives of all Americans. (Obama's quickly thrown-together plan for health care leaves 15 million Americans uninsured.) The real candidates for change are Clinton and Edwards. They are both electable in the general election, something Obama is not.

God's speed, Hillary and John!!

January 4, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. BW

African-Americans ARE NOT intensely loyal to the Clintons and do not support Hllary Clinton over Barack Obama!

January 4, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

This could give Obama enough energy to move onto New Hampshire and other states. I suspect that he would still go to New Hampshire no matter his standing in Iowa. Since I haven't heard about the complete demographic breakdown, I don't know if this would really change things for the African-American community. Although, he is someone that they can rally around (with Oprah as well) that is from their community; someone that they can identify with to some extent. There is no way to fully identify with another person.

January 4, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. Julius, Philadelphia

Thank God...there is hope for this country now...Go Barack!

January 4, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. Jim, Cherokee

I agree with Nick. Obama stand up . You are a Kenyian and your people need you. Also this should not be about being Black. But as Obama supporters keep pointing out it is. So will his Presidencey. Another civial right movement. This is getting old. Been going on long before Linclon. I thought we were seeking change not going back to the 19th century. I feel he is not ready not because of his experience, but because we do not know him. He talks about being transparent. Have him explain his Ill. voting record. Expose his state senate material. He says he has known. Will not tell us about the real Barrack Obama. No No No

January 4, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Melissa Festus,MO

OBamas speech last night sucked. He was boring to listen to. He is trying to act like Martin Luther King. Everything he said had to do with past racial issues like the water cannons and food counters he mentioned. We do not need another Al Sharpton !!!! I do not like Hillary and after Obamas speech last night I dont like him either. His wife needs some help with her clothing as well. I wonder how many people it took just to zip up her extremely tight blue dress. LOL

January 4, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  11. andrew k, RI

hillary's speech and bills face said it all last night...

she actually said it best , that the voters said they are "ready for change"

TRUE,
    and that change is barack obama... not hillary.

January 4, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. Farrell, Houston, Tx

The people of Iowa bridged the gaps, not Obama, they know their politics and I commend them. Now it's up to the other states to follow.

January 4, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  13. Jim - Tucson

Excellent post N. Otter. I assume you heard Senator Obama's speech last night. It was as inspirational as a JFK or MLK speech. Too bad MLK isn't alive today (he'd be pushing 90) to see this young man's rise to prominence.

January 4, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  14. BW

What has Hillary done for New York but keep the seat warm.
    Hillary Clinton for Hillary Clinton

NO MORE PITY VOTES FOR HILLARY!

January 4, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. nightmare

Barack Obama is a candidate I feel I can trust. No more wakeing up feeling like i'm having a nightmare in AMERICA.

January 4, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  16. nightmare

What has hillary done for New York?
    No more pity votes Hillary.

January 4, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. G Dyck

Hello America, I am a Canadian so I probably view the A merican elections a little differently. My comments are on Obama's speech.
    Tell me I'm wrong but did I hear alot of Martin Luther King in Obama' s Speech?
    I am not talking about the wording more the voice infections and his mannerisms
    I listend to it acouple of times every time I am reminded of Martin Luther Kings WE HAVE A DREAM SPEECH.

G. Dyck

January 4, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  18. Chris, Middletown, CT

I'm a Republican – kudos to the Democrats who supported Obama....if my party doesn't nominate Giuliani – Obama will have my vote (and many other Republicans here in CT) – however – if you are dumb enough to vote for Hillary or Edwards...omg....do you guys even listen to their speeches...or just listen to what entitlement they promise you today ...omg....

January 4, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. colorblind

People please......... it should not matter if he is black... white..... or purple. I think now we want to put the Bi-racial tag on him now because he won the first state. Come on dont claim him yet, lets see how he finishes. Sadly people are still judged by color and you know that we're seldom given the choices of black /white/ mixed. If your daughter brought him home im sure most of you would consider him BLACK. But the big picture we have here is that, (and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.)... AMERICA we are finally looking a little deeper then skin color..... we might be ok... lets get this election right..... The system works (well its been good enough in the past) ...it is what it is..... lets forget he's black.... he had no choice in that... the people are becoming wise... they want real change .... if he's the best for the job.... and follows your rules.... and WINS.... take you hat off to him.... and to the system.... because less then 30 years ago a BLACK man would not have had a chance.... even if he was mixed.... America thank you .... my mixed kids thank you.. HOPE .... i get it now.... I LOVE ALL OF YOU.....

January 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. RuthieM

Congratulations, Obama! Now to Barack the vote in New Hampshire!!!!

January 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. JD in Iowa

Melissa, you are right, Obama is not MLK, he is his own man. If you listened to his speech last night, I believe you were dreaming, because the speech I listened to was great, and I'm white. Change is coming, you can come along, but you can also stay in the bush years!

January 4, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Cathy

G Dyck: You did hear King in there. It's an oration style used in America by many preachers in the pulpit every week. It's effective in not only conveying a firm message but also the emotions and the belief behind the words. We've gone so long without an effective public speaker for a president that we have forgotten what an accomplished orator can do. He can send chills up your spine, and when he is done, we are ready to march. Obama will put an end to "nukular" once and for all.

January 4, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. JD in Iowa

Giuliani, are you kidding? omg!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. shirlin

Thank you, Iowa! The eyes of the world were watching and you showed them why we are still the best country ever–a republic and a democracy. NOT a dynasty and empire.

January 4, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. Julia

For what other job, do we want the person with the least experience? What qualifications, besides personality and charisma, are people looking for in a President? Since all the democratic candidates have very similar policy stances, it seems to me that people are going for the likability factor... Yes, Barack is very likable and idealistic. I, for one, admire his writings. But is he really prepared to run one of the world's great powers? I'm glad that America is putting racism to the side, but I'm not sure that sexism isn't still playing a role in Presidential politics. Even if you don't like HRC, what other woman can people imagine electing for President of the United States? My guess is that there is no one that comes to mind....

January 4, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |