January 3rd, 2008

Source: Dodd to end presidential run

Dodd will reportedly drop out of the race.

Dodd will reportedly drop out of the race.

A senior campaign aide tells CNN that Sen. Chris Dodd is abandoning his campaign for president - an official announcement is expected shortly.

Filed under: Chris Dodd • Iowa
  1. Georgio Villella

Mr. Dodd, please indorse former senator John Edward's for the presidency of 20008!!! Thank you sir, and I'm sorry you did not make it.

January 3, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  2. Kim Hansen

Thank you for your contribution, Senator Dodd. You were my first choice, and I regret not being able to vote for you (in CA).

I hope you endorse John Edwards or Senator Biden.

January 3, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  3. Rafi, NY NY

Yes, Edwards could really use those three or four voters.

January 3, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  4. Daniel

I agree, Senator Edwards is the man that can win this race!! Go for it Senator Dodd, we need Edwards as our nominee!

January 3, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  5. James Inman

Senator Dodd,

You are a great American and a true leader. I hope you will endorse a man who will unite our Country in this great time of need. Please do the right thing and endorse John Edwards

January 3, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  6. Doris McIntosh

I indorse John Edwards for the presidencial candidate. I do believe he will do what is best for the common class of people and wants to be president to help others. I hope Mr. Dodd will support him and I believe he will because they are on the same page.

January 3, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  7. ATrain

Please endorse Barack Obama as he represents hope and a future for our nation.

January 3, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  8. Zephyr Logan

Although I would really like to see Dodd endorse Kucinich I think I would wait for NH and if Kucinich fares badly there get behind Obama or Edwards(Pref. Obama) to stop Clinton

January 3, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  9. Ted Kwapien, Everett, Wa.

hey, whats wrong with a Obama and Clinton ticket? Hillary as VP and all that experience will help big O.

January 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  10. Jessyn

Dodd should endorse Obama or at least Edwards if he wishes to preserve a VP possibility. Preferably Obama, who appears to have the best chance of beating Hillary. Hillary would not choose Dodd as a VP.

January 3, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  11. Alexis Colby

As a fellow Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, I really respect Dodd. He is too old, like Biden, to be President. I am glad voters rejected Hillary, too. She is a poser.

January 3, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  12. Rob

Dodd can't redeem the family name after his father's misdeeds.

January 4, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  13. Michelle Cubas, Scottsdale, AZ

Kudos to Sen. Dodd for all his service and energy to be a voice of reason in the wilderness of the past seven years.

I think he would be a powerful cabinet member and statesman to help repair our image in the world.

Thank you, Senator Dodd.

January 4, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  14. Gil - California

Ted, there is no way that any sane person would put Hillary on the ticket as their VP candidate, she would only be one heart beat away from the Presidency.

January 4, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  15. Rhino

My friends and I in Iowa sincerely enjoyed having Mr. Dodd campaign in our state, and while we may not have supported this man we are grateful for his effort and the time spent getting to know each other. I think Mr. Dodd to be a man of great character, and would welcome him back to our state at any time – things get tough in Connecticut, come on down to the heartland, Chris!

January 4, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  16. Tman

To be honest, I have not been following the Democratic candidates as closely. My two favorites are Mike Gravel and Dennis Kucinich, but seeing as their views are a bit too far to the left for most Americans and that they do not have the funds or the exposure, neither of them have a realistic chance at winning the nomination. Having said that, of the more "mainstream" lower tier Democrats (Biden, Dodd, Richardson) they all seem rather unspectacular (with the exception of Biden). Their chances are little better than Gravel or Kucinich, but unlike the latter two they are not as interesting and do not seem to bring anything particularly original to the table. Not saying they are clones, but being lower tier candidates they do not distinguish themselves from the establishment candidates of their party. Nothing against Chris Dodd, he just seems rather ordinary. A lower tier candidate might want to stand out more to distinguish themselves from the favored candidates such as Clinton and Obama. As an exception, Joe Biden offers an excellent plan for Iraq, a KEY ISSUE!

The Biden plan to partition Iraq into three semi-independent nations (seeing as Iraq is not a real country anyway and never was) is the only viable plan to bringing any sort of peace or stability to that troubled reason. The only other attempt at a sensible plan for Iraq was proposed by Ron Paul, that we should get out ASAP! A fundamentally good idea, but a somewhat naive one (still better than the default Republican position, standard neoconservative agenda with the end goal of making Iraq a client state of the American Empire). For that reason, why I do not see Joe Biden winning the nomination, I sincerely hope he is selected VP and would love to see an Obama-Biden ticket!

My favorite Democrat candidates (in rough order): Gravel, Kucinich, Obama, Biden.
    My favorite GOP candidate (i.e. the only one I can stand): Ron Paul.

Having said that, I congratulate Obama on winning the Iowa caucus. I am equally happy that Hillary finished below Edwards. I believe that Obama will be the Democratic nominee. I like Obama and think he is well suited for the presidency, with my only problem being that he is short on experience. It is unfortunate that Ron Paul could not win Iowa. His chances seem to have waned.

January 4, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  17. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

I think the voters are saying, we are tired of the same old men and women running our country. It is time for some younger people with new ideas to inspire our country.

The baby boomers had their day, its time to let go of the reigns before you ruin it completely for your children and granchildren.

PS Thanks for sticking us with your Social Security and Medicare bills, its the gift that keeps on giving for generations to come.

January 4, 2008 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  18. ddt

Dodd called Clinton unelectable! hahahah

January 4, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  19. Doris Murphy

It is around 3:30 AM here and I just cannot sleep. I am SO angry that a good man like Senator Dodd has dropped out. Who will fill this vacuum among his supporters?

January 4, 2008 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  20. Dan from Phoenix

Chris Dodd is one of the most eloquent, intelligent persons on the political stage. I'm sorry he withdrew. I was so looking forward to hearing more from the Senator.
    I only hope that he continues to fight the good fight. We so need his kind around. The past 7 years have been like a desert and Dodd had the cantine. Let's all hope that he continues being the oasis. He really has what it takes to save us. So Senator, please stick around we're so going to need you.

And if you could please go and hang your hat with the Clintonians..... I wouldn't mind that at all. Let's all do what we can to make sure that the Dems are in and the Reps are out... Whatever it takes right?

God Bless ya Senator, thanks for putting up the gallant fight!

~D~

January 4, 2008 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  21. Dan from Phoenix

Dodd was not too old..not by a long shot....

I wish he'd reconsider...... I mean really! WHAT IS IOWA anyhow?

And who said that Clinton wouldn't choose Dodd for a VP? Really? I don't believe that.... just wait... ther's lots of time for stumbling and bumbling on the campaign trail... It's still early.

Nobody actually wins in Iowa anyway? Not Bill Clinton, Not George H W Bush Gephart beat Clinton in 92. George W. Bush won in 2000. Look where that got us... yeips! Iowa is just crazy! So Dodd...... why'd ya do it? "You could a been a contender!" Love ya! but I"m still processing this news.... WHY?

January 4, 2008 05:29 am at 5:29 am |
  22. Dan (Columbia, MD)

Who???

January 4, 2008 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  23. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

I'm so sorry to see you go Chris. Please put your support behind Hillary- she's the only candidate left who has significant experience. We can't afford another rookie!!

January 4, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Senator Dodd will be missed. I think that his major issue being education should be picked up by the other candidates and then the nominee. He did speak well, and his service has done us proud. I did like that in one of the debates that he spoke in Spanish to a questioner from the audience. It showed that his time in the Peace Corps wasn't for nothing. Now he can go back to his state and kick Joe Lieberman's butt!

January 4, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Thank you Sen. Dodd for not abandoning the democratic party, we need all the support you can give us.

January 4, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |