January 3rd, 2008

Three-way split of Iowa's Democratic delegates

CNN is projecting this split of Iowa's 45 Democratic delegates, based on tonight's results:

Barack Obama: 16, Hillary Clinton: 15, John Edwards: 14

Filed under: Iowa
  1. Seth

How can CNN be so biased as to predict that Hillary gets more delagates then Edwards when she's a whole percentage point behind him in the results!?! CNN has been so biased against Edwards all night! Preaching Hillary vs. Obama, Hillary vs. Obama, Hillary vs. Obama! Hillary has not been ahead of Edwards at any time tonight! It looks to me like it's going to be Obama vs. Edwards. The people are seeing through Hillary's bs!

January 3, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  2. Michiel

I don't understand why Hillary Clinton will have more delegates than John Edwards when she is in third place.
    Also, I have listened to the candidates, read as much as I can find on their projected policies, and I believe Mr. Edwards provides the best hope for the future of this country,

Thank you.

January 3, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  3. john darius

Please, just not another Clinton...please?

January 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  4. Brady

It's fuzzy math. Edwards came in second in terms of state delegates in Iowa but that's not the same as national delegates. In terms of delegates to the national convention, Hillary came in second. CNN isn't showing a bias here, they're showing electoral analysis of the Iowa state delegation.

January 3, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. Dan Lynch

What is the number of registered IOWA voters?
    What is the number of registered IOWA voters that voted?
    Seems like the numbers are under 200,000 that voted, I could be wrong. If this is true why so little of iowans voted. do they care or do they not care and why does this count so much? I could be wrong?

January 3, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  6. Alejandro Ochoa

As long as Edward continues to try to reach the blue collar folks and tries to be a traditional democrat. While Hillary is worried more about media bias and rubbing elbows with celebrities who are not in the same tax bracket with traditional democrats or blue collar folks.

January 3, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  7. Anduril919

So this is all Obama got out of it? One measly point over the other candidate? That's not enough to overturn Clinton's advantage. Clinton should just have skipped Iowa. What a waste of time that was for Clinton!

January 3, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  8. Chey

I feel like the democrats are not in touch with reality, they are compensating for their short comings in the eyes of the public. Mike Huckabee does not have anything to prove, he has a reputable past and speaks with conviction. I'm not religious but I respect a person who is willing to stand for what they believe in. We need a president who is level headed, who is not seeking to set some kind of precedent, and who doesn't need a celebrity to do his job. Actors and TV celebrities should never be relied on for political opinion, frankly I think it's pathetic for someone to reach to that extent. What could a democrat do, that Mike Huckabee wouldn't? We finally have a good canidate that can cross the red and blue boundary, help get him there!

January 3, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  9. Dan Lynch

I see now that there are over 2 million registered voters in Iowa. How many voted?

January 3, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  10. Ray

What's even funnier is how CNN is such a Clinton tool. As soon as they started talking about how inspirational Obama's speech was they abruptly cut to commercial. Come back and all Blitzer can say about 4 times is that this really doesn't mean anything that Clinton can come back, like four times.

What a ruse. I took a year off of TV, when I came back it was so obvious that Fox was all Bush all the time and CNN is really the 'clinton news network'.

January 3, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  11. Jacob, Brockville, Ontario

As a Canadian, I am very for Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton is a steadfast, honest, and experienced politician. If American wants its great times that it had under Bill Clinton than they need to elect her. Alot of Canadians believe that Obama is a very fake person. Even though, the comments of a Canadian do not matter much we are certainly hoping for a Hillary win and I am sure it will happen. After Bill Clinton starts campaigning for her, we will see her numbers increase. Hillary is the best thing that will happen to America in a long time. It is time to reverse the horrible policies of Bush. It is time to get the Canadian and American friendship healed. I await New Hampshire.

Jacob

January 3, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  12. James, Iowa

Thank heavens. Hillary has just one less delegate than Obama. 60% of the superdelegates are backing Clinton, and she will trounce Obama in New Hampshire.

Hillary Rocks!

January 3, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  13. dewit

Hillary go home Big G little o Gobama

January 3, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  14. Gustavo

The count of Hillary with more delegates maybe follows the same math as the presidential election does, where winning the popular vote does not mean winning the election (Remember Gore).

January 3, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  15. jeff nyc

CNN wants Hillary so it will get better ratings during the whole process. They know she is so polarizing people will watch just because they don't like her.

January 3, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  16. Michael H

If any candidate has been denounced by the media, it has been Senator Clinton. For the last two months, I have heard nothing but negative comments from the CNN correspondents regarding Senator Clinton. After tonight’s election, I feel that the media, particularly CNN, wants the American people to believe that Senator Clinton has lost the election. Aren’t we forgetting that Clinton’s major support is coming in the next couple of primaries, especially Super Tuesday?

January 4, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  17. Spc Davis

Hillary finished 3rd not 2nd and I am a White American Soldier and I really got A good feeling about Barrack Obama he is a good example of what america is based on. Obama's Got my Vote

January 4, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  18. Jeremy, Harrisonburg VA

Could someone please explain these results? And what about the 12 superdelegates from Iowa?

January 4, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  19. Leland Ropp

Remember that Iowa is an overwhelmingly white state that is also relatively old. That being said, going for Obama is a major event. The numbers may seem small but a very large number were first time caucus attenders. The excitement for Obama in Iowa could well translate into a national surge making him a very, very viable candidate.

January 4, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  20. Mike

CNN has no credibility – why the delegate discrepancy?

January 4, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  21. Chris Elvis

John Darius,

Can you please explain to me what was so wrong with Bill Clinton that having Hillary win would upset you so much? I am not voting for her, but not because her husband was Bill. If I thought she could do for the country what he did, then I would. I am just curious to know why people seem to have so much disdain for a man who had the country in the best shape it had been in in years.

January 4, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  22. Rachel

Obama took Iowa simply because of the weather. Younger people can handle the weather better. In my precinct, it was the elders that stepped up and made a difference! I applaud all of those who did get out and vote, regardless of the candidate (I'M FOR EDWARDS THOUGH) because it takes EVERYONE to make change. For those who sat on their butts at home doing nothing...nice job!

It infuriates me that people don't celebrate the priviledge that is given to them with the right to vote. While Iowa's caucuses were up extremely, I would have liked to see more INFORMED supporters!

Linda B.

January 4, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  23. Lady Eagle

Between 8% and 10% of the population voted. The reason is that the caucusing took place between 7pm and 9pm. This is not a regular election, therefore there are no absentee ballots. If you work the night shift or have small children you are out of luck.

Hillary Clinton actually received more physical votes than John Edwards, but if your candidate did not get 15% , it means they were not viable, and their supporters could go to another candidate. If you look at the entrance pols you will see what I am saying:

Obama 35%
    Clinton 27%
    Edwards 25%

Horse trading changed the numbers. That explains why Hillary Clinton earned more delegates. CNN cannot give delegates.

January 4, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  24. Regina

Go Hillary! Go Democrats! I am so proud of the number of Iowans that showed up at the caucuses tonight in Iowa. In my small local party precinct meeting alone 250 people! Wow! I do not think that there was anyone in the room that did not agree we have great candidates. Do we care in Iowa? Look at the numbers: yes we care. I watched many folks tonight trudge through snow and ice to get the school to participate. And I can tell you the snow and ice is nasty here tonight and it’s 16 degrees outside. Hillary has the experience, the grit for the work, and the education needed to affect change: gets my vote. Change takes knowing what you're doing, staying the course and an understanding of what is realistic and possible. And just for the record Hillary is not Bill. It would be really wise if the entire course of this election could simply focus on the candidates as presidential candidates without reference to their skin color, gender or religion. When we make our decisions they will be good decisions if we do not put the candidate in a slot based on gender, religion or race. Again, Go Hillary you have my support and that is not because you are a woman, rather I want change and I know change requires experience.

January 4, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  25. mike, dallas, TX

I don't think your math is right.

Iwould think

Obama 20
    Edwards 15
    Hillary 10

or something close to that.

January 4, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |