January 4th, 2008

Clinton: I have enough time

ALT TEXT

At her first stop in Nashua, New Hampshire, after a third-place showing in Iowa, Hillary Clinton expressed confidence in Tuesday's upcoming primary, five days away: "It's a short period of time, but it's enough time." (Photo Credit: CNN's Mike Roselli).

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Julie H.

Go Hillary! I'm from Iowa, and I have my doubts about the results on Thursday night. Hillary is not out of it and far from it. This is Hillary country. She will win Iowa I have no doubt. I too lived through the Clinton economy and it was so good. Have we forgot that? During the Clinton administration we had prosperity and peace. Cannot ever say that about a Bush. Go Hillary, you have my vote and others in Iowa on election day!

January 5, 2008 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  2. Mike

She's in trouble, and she knows it. All the time in the world can't help her. She, and all of her baggage, are up against a superior statesman with a clean record.

Get on board. Obama 08

January 5, 2008 05:06 am at 5:06 am |
  3. sonya

Only thing Clinton has going for her is too go negative as Bill said the media has force her to do. Hillary doesn't care about the Democratic party, she wants to win at all costs. Look what Hillary did to her buddies the Sheeans in NH. When Mr. Sheean started the whole Obama was a drug dealer smear, his wife's poll numbers tanked and the senate seat may go republican. Instead of changing campaign slogans every week, and stealing "fire up, ready to go" line from Obama, Hillary needs to say why she is running for the Presidency and what are her clear convictions. She won't I bet and that tells the story of her rule true guiding prinicple- power.

January 5, 2008 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  4. Dave

Can someone pls explain to me what the doom and gloom about HRC only getting about 30% of the Iowa vote is about...???? Why the hype in the media about her having lost it aready and that she may be finished????

Winning the nomination s about getting enough delegates after all the primaries/ caucuses...heck, she picked up 15 delegates in Iowa versus 16 for Obama...so what was her big loss?? Even if she is beaten in NH, she will still pick up further delegates until the big states come into play on Feb 5 where she has good leads....there is still NY, Florida, Caifornia, Michigan...thats where the big delegate numbers are. HRC is already leading in the superdelegate stakes at present.

So what is the big deal about not winning in Iowa....???? Am I missing something???? Obama wil run out of hot air and steam when real questions are asked of him with the new scrutiny a win or two brings along....when that happens, "losing" in Iowa may be the best thing yet for HR.

January 5, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  5. jon

Billary Clinton has no chance. The Obama snow ball is rolling down the hill and getting bigger and bigger. No one wants that old hag in power. She hasn't accomplished anything besides marrying Bill. Being 1st lady doesn't mean squat to most people and the Clintons are as hatted as Bush is. She is too polorizing and too fake to fool america.

Your time has come BILLARY CLINTON

January 5, 2008 06:03 am at 6:03 am |
  6. mark wilkes barre pa

Mercer ,,,, I have no problem with a women president. I have no problem with a Black president. I have no problem with a black women as president . If Condi Rice would run she would have my confidence. and would be THE most experienced candidate to run for office in recent times. Hillary's run sounds like that commercial for that hotel on tv,,,, I have no real experience or qualifications to be president but I did live in the whitehouse !!!

January 5, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  7. Jim

Hillary is Bush Jr. in female guise.

Seriously, I thought we had had enough of Presidential dynasties after the Bush fiasco. Now people want another Clinton? Yes, it's a different Clinton, but she has her own agenda and it is definitely not one that will put the nation first. I'd love to go into details, but this is not the correct medium. I'll just remind some of you that we're not living in a kingdom. Stop electing dynasties please. Especially, when they don't have anything new to offer: the same hollow promises and empty goals.

What we need is someone who will provide a change for the Soul of our nation. We're in dire need of an American Renaissance. We need to change the way we look at ourselves and the World we live in. Hillary is not quite the right person for that task.

To me, the only two candidates who stand out are Dennis Kucinich & Barack Obama. They seem to be the only ones capable of breathing in some NEW life into America. We don't need the same old broken record.

January 5, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  8. Kyle

The democratic causus in Iowa was energized not by hillary, but obama. Huge record turnout, but not for hillary. Independents, Youth, Women– overwhelmingly Obama. Iowa itself is small, but these trends are not. Obama has the character, intelligence and charisma to transform our country and the world. Hillary is well.... Hillary. All the polls to date are not post-Iowa. As people see Obama and Hillary side-by-side, there is only one way they will go. Hillary is honorable and I am excited about the prospect of a female president, but she is not the one, this is not the time. As independents flock to the dem primary in NH, this will become clear to everyone (except Fox and Rush).

January 5, 2008 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  9. aju

I wonder why Americans are so willing to opt for just any change,when they have a prospective candidate willling to give both the required change and a very sound experience on the job....Please,america as the leader of the civilized world, as we all know it ,needs a leader that can lead from day one,not a student leader like Sen. Obama,who is most likely than not,to make mistakes on the job at hand,before getting to grip with it....I appeal to americans to please,opt for a leader that can make the world a peaceful and dynamic place for americans and the rest of the world,a leader that can take up the job from day one and restore hope for all mankind,americans must know that time is of the essence,and must act decisively!

January 5, 2008 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  10. Bob, DC

Hilary would be best advised to get out. The more she tries to reinvent herself the more people don't trust her and don't like her. It also would be very disturbing if she went on the attack. Barack Obama is driving a significant positive movement in this country, inspiring people that used to hate politics. Many young people and others are coming into the process that have never participated before. Does she want to destroy that movement? Barack is developing into something special, like a new JFK and Hillary needs to simply get out of the way.

January 5, 2008 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  11. Bob, DC

Hey Barrister4Hillary:

Michigan and Florida primaries won't count since they broke DNC rules by moving up their dates. Obama is riding Iowa momentum now and should easily win NH and SC and the BigMo will just grow as they head into super Tues. Obama looks unstoppable.

FYI: Hillary was booed last night at the NH Democratic Party Dinner while Obama fans nearly crushed the stage when Barack came up.

January 5, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  12. Ben Mo

Shame on cnn to put on the top of his political page a remark by a ultraconservetive institute (Peperdine) that " Hillary woud appoint Bill to supreme court " Bill has not practice law almost his entire life.
    you write this to give talking point to conservatives, so they can creat more hatred
    for Hillary. I WOULD EXPECT THIS FROM FOX NEWS NOT CNN.

'

January 5, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  13. catkins

hope you will make it hilary. i am sure you will. the best of luck

newfoundland, canada

January 5, 2008 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  14. Anonymous

Sen. Hillary Clinton went on the counterattack today, one day after a stinging defeat in the Iowa caucuses to Illinois Sen. Barack Hussein Obama.
    She said New Hampshire voters need to take a hard look at Obama, suggesting that they shouldn’t just buy into his message of “hope” without analyzing his policies.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said she wasn’t suggesting anything in particular about Obama, but simply “drawing contrasts.”
    “I’m running on my record. … I’m running on my plans,” Sen. Hillary Clinton told reporters. “I think everybody needs to be vetted and tested. That’s the way elections are supposed to operate. The last thing the Democrats need is to just move quickly through this process.”

While the senator was vague, her campaign pointed out to ABC News examples of Obama’s liberal positions, including his 2004 statement to abolish mandatory minimum sentences for federal crimes. They also pointed out a statement Obama made in 2003 that he was “a proponent of a single payer health care program,” which he no longer seems to support today.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said voters need to ask Obama more questions about his health-care plan to find out “where he stands.”

She also played off Obama’s call offering America “hope.”
    “We need a president who will actually deliver change,” she said. “It is critical that we build confidence in our country. We can’t have false hopes. We’ve got to have a person who can walk into the Oval Office on day one and start doing the hard work that it takes to deliver change. And I believe I’m that person.”

“I’m not doing this as an exercise,” Sen. Hillary Clinton said.

Asked what she meant when she said earlier to a crowd in Nashua, N.H., that all of the vetting and investigations of her record had found her “most innocent,” Clinton simply said: “I think I come into this race tested and proven and ready to take on the Republicans no matter what they send my way.”

As for losing Iowa, she discounted the impact. “Iowa doesn’t have the best track record in determining who the party nominates,” Sen. Hillary Clinton said. She offered several explanations for the loss.

“I was never a front-runner of any significance in Iowa. I knew it had a lot of difficulties that were there in terms of my candidacy,” she argued, perhaps referring to being the only female candidate in the race. “I knew it was always gonna be hard for me.”

She admitted that her campaign lost support among younger Iowans.
    “I think there was a huge turnout,” Clinton said. “I did very very well with people over 45, and I didn’t do as well with people under 30 and I take responsibility for that.”

Sen. Hillary Clinton also faulted the caucus system for some of her troubles. She said that New Hampshire’s primary vote would be more favorable for her since working voters have all day to show up and vote and don’t have to arrive at a specific time required in Iowa under its unique caucus system.

In New Hampshire, Sen. Hillary Clinton explained, “you’re not disenfranchised if you work at night. You’re not disenfranchised if you’re not in the state.”
    “This is a new day. This is a new state,” Sen. Hillary Clinton said.

Former President Bill Clinton rallied to his wife’s side today, saying Hillary’s disappointing third-place finish in Iowa was not a fatal blow. He predicted that she can be the “comeback kid” just like he was. “Absolutely,” he told ABC News at a campaign event for his wife.
    “Remember I lost here,” he added, referring to his New Hampshire loss to Paul Tsongas in 1992 . Hillary Clinton finished in third place in Iowa getting 30 percent of the vote. She was edged out of a second-place finish by former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards.

The former president stressed that early losses can be overcome. He then quickly listed off his other losses from memory: “South Dakota, Maine, Maryland, Colorado, before I ever won a state,” he said.

He said his wife is in better position in New Hampshire then he was. “She’s got a better profile here. They know more about her now than they did about me then. And I think she’ll be fine. We just get out and go”

As much as she talked up how much fun it was to get to know Iowa, Hillary Clinton never really felt at home among the cornfields.

New Hampshire is more Sen. Hillary Clinton’s style. She and Bill have old friends here. They know their way around its winding roads and quaint colonial towns.

The New York senator lands in New Hampshire with a weight on her shoulders. Will she be able to persuade voters here to do what Iowans did not? Will another loss in New Hampshire be fatal for her campaign? Or can they — as campaign officials continue to insist — win the nomination without the help of Iowa or New Hampshire if it comes down to that?

Trying to put a positive face on what was clearly not a good night, Clinton addressed supporters in a ballroom of the Fort Des Moines hotel Thursday night. As she entered, flanked by her husband and daughter, the crowd broke into a chant of “Hillary Hillary!”
    “We’re gonna take this enthusiasm and go right to New Hampshire!” Clinton yelled.
    But just moments before Clinton’s arrival, those supporters had been outside at the open bar, watching somberly as Barack Obama was projected the winner on big screen televisions. They nursed drinks and frowned.
    Clinton tried to frame her loss in Iowa as a turning point for Democrats.

“This is a great night for Democrats,” she said. “We have seen unprecedented turnout here in Iowa and that is good news because today we are sending a clear message that we are going to have change. And that change will be a Democratic president in the White House in 2009.”
    She congratulated rivals Obama and John Edwards and thanked the others in the field.
    “Together we have presented the case for change and made it absolutely clear that America needs a new beginning,” Clinton said, using one of the key lines from her closing argument in Iowa.

But Iowa voters chose Obama as the candidate who best represents change. And Hillary Clinton may need to find another argument.

Thursday night she argued that she is the candidate who is electable and who has the experience to be president.
    “What is most important now is that as we go on with this contest that we keep focused on two issues, that we answer correctly the question that each of us has posed: how will we win in November 2008 and who will be the best president on day one? I am ready for that contest!”

As upbeat as Sen. Hillary Clinton tried to be, there was clearly disappointment among her staff and supporters.
    One of the biggest disappointments was the number of women voters who did not stick with the only female candidate in the race, and voted for Obama instead.
    Sen. Obama beat Sen. Hillary Clinton among women voters in Iowa — garnering 35 percent of the female vote to her 30 percent.

Sen. Hillary Clinton’s Iowa campaign had been banking on support from women, particularly older women. The senator made a strong pitch to women — talking about women’s rights and repeatedly telling the story of little girls who would be inspired by her example and hope to be president one day.

Her campaign ran ads featuring Sen. Hillary Clinton’s daughter and mother. They trotted out old friends who talked about Clinton’s warmth and caring.

Ellen Malcolm, the founder of Emily’s List and a Sen. Hillary Clinton supporter who stood on stage with her in Des Moines, said Sen. Hillary Clinton may have been hurt because older women could not make it to the caucus sites. Younger, working-class women may have been working and unable to attend.

The Clinton campaign is hoping it will have better luck in New Hampshire and the 24 states that vote Super Tuesday, Feb. 5.
    Sen. Hillary Clinton proclaimed herself “confident and optimistic.”

“You know we have always planned to run a national campaign all the way through the early contests,” Sen. Hillary Clinton said at one point on stage in Des Moines.
    Still, it would have been nice to land in New Hampshire this morning with a victory under her belt … instead of a loss.

January 5, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  15. Gayron Taylor

Hillary has done very well in this process. She must stay focused and draw a sharp contrast from Obama. There are some things that must be looked at inside the Obama camp such has his record and it must be known.

January 5, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  16. Robert n TOKYO

I am 10,000 miles away and and i have been following the political fight from Tokyo. There is no way that America will elect an inexperience president such as Obama. He should give up now as he is changing is story in every state. I would never vote for him, even if he was the only democrat... I think that Hilliary Clinton would be one of the finest presidents America has ever had, just as her husband was. I fully support the Clinton campaign. I am supporting her from Japan....

GO HILLIARY!!!!!! Kick Obama out of NH!!

January 5, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  17. BEN

I live in Iowa and participated in the caucus, Hillary Clinton led by a large amount in the polls here for a large part of the last several months. Because this is a small state citizens have the opportunity to meet all the candidates if they want. I live in a small town with about 7000 residents. The word I hear about Hillary is she is a primadonna. And some of here campain help is pushy and rude. People feel that she is a say anything to get elected candidate and is disingenuine. This Caucus was handed to Hillary and she blew it.

January 5, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  18. macy

I believe that obama is a good man... a very inspirational one, but I do not think that he'll be a prepared and good president. His speeches are really good ones... but I think those speeches lack realism since there were no clear path on how to achieve all those what he said.

I think that clinton is the suited person to lead US–full of pragmatism and very realstic. I think she can handle the stress and I think she knows to handle whats best for us...

A president is different from a motivational speaker who knows the idea but does not know the corresponding action... a president should be someone who knows what's good for the country and more importantly... who has the experience of governing...

January 5, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  19. Ann Aloha, PA

I think it would be very interesting to see the breakdown of total votes counted before the caucus members shifted to their sencond choice candidates in Iowa. To me this shows the true commitment of caucus members to their original choice of candidate.
    I don't think this will be revealed because the media is being biased and that it the report will show or paint a different picture of the candidates.

January 5, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. Duncan, Richmond, VA

I don't know how any American can vote for someone who voted for the Patriot Act.

January 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  21. Maria, Houston

Hillary Clinton and her supporters trashing Iowa? How disgenuine. Rudy or McCain at least took their chances and did not campaign. Clinton was sucking up to Iowans with her husband, her mother, her daughter...you name it...and now she declares that Iowa does not matter? I feel sorry for those Iowans who voted and those who publicly endorsed Mrs. Clinton, I guess they were not so relevant after all... What a sore user and calculated user.

New Hampshire, take a note. Today you are important, tomorrow you'll be dissed and dismissed...

GO BARACK!

January 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. GIGI

To Joyce Allen, Hillary is not a Qwen. I have alot of respect for her because she stood by her man when alot of women would have left their husband. She shows alot of character in her personal life. If women would follow her example, the world would forgive as she did. She forgave Bill and I see more love and respect there than I see in alot of marriages that I know of with my personal friends. Everyone makes mistakes in their personal life but it is the husband and wife's business and a bridge can be built again with love, respect, and understanding. She is a natural leader and will make the American and International people proud. America needs to hold their heads up high and with Hillary we can. She is a true American. God Bless You HIllary and I am praying for you every day. I believe you will be our nex President.

January 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  23. J. McKinney SW MO

Several have commented here that the Iowa caucus is ridiculous and needs to be stopped. (I agree) but those same people go on to say it is nothing but TV and sound bites. I have to disagree there. What it is, is an incredible windfall of cash for the state. How many millions of dollars was spent there by the candidates? Millions for ads on TV stations, in newspapers, at printing offices for the signs, to hotels and motels for the candidates and the workers they brought in. Restaurants for food for all of them. It goes on and on. Iowa's interest in this is the incredible amount of money brought into this little farming state. By far the best money that comes in there. Probably makes more than the corn they grow.
    That said, I am for the end of the ridiculous Iowa caucuses, and I am for Hillary, all the way! GO, HILLARY!

January 5, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  24. Liam

Last night, Hillary told the New Hampshire audience that Change takes working hard at it, and that is what she has being doing for over thirty years. Here is my question: If Hillary has being working on it for over thirty years, like she claims, then why has she not got the changes done already. Her and Bill had eight years to get it done, but now she is claiming that that she is the only one who can make the changes needed. Her failed approach on Health care reform set back that cause twenty years.

If you work on something for more than thirty years and still have not got it done, then it is time for a change, a change a the top. Sorry Hillary. You had your thirty years shot at getting it done, and you failed. Time to let someone new take on the challenges that you did not solve.

January 5, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  25. Kim, Sacramento, CA

Wow – I was once a HRC supporter and I am glad that I woke up. I can't believe how her supporters can spin something – you guys are as good as she is! You will say or do anything to get her elected just like she will. We are at a unique point in our countries history where we need a President who can pull us together after all of the damage that the current Administration has done. HRC is not that person – Barack Obama is. The win in Iowa is HUGE and if HRC had won Iowa that is exactly what she and her supporters would be saying. HRC has the name recognition of being the ex-first lady, Edwards has been campaigning there for the last six years, Barack Obama has absoutely the least amount of name recognition of the three. But, you saw what happened – as Iowa voters got to know the three candidates they saw what other Barack Obama supporters see. A real person who can represent real people who can affect real change – that is what we want, that is what we need and that is what we like! Time for us all to do what is best for all of us not just an elite few.

January 5, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |