January 4th, 2008

James Dobson lauds Huckabee win

(CNN) - Focus on the Family founder James Dobson pointed to Mike Huckabee’s Iowa caucus win Friday as evidence that religious voters remain a “powerful force” in U.S. politics.

“The results of the Iowa caucuses reveal that conservative Christians remain a powerful force in American politics. That had to be a great shock to those on the far left,'” Dobson said in a statement, according to the Associated Press.

Dobson, who has not officially endorsed a presidential candidate, took aim at "media elites" for dismissing the influence of Christian voters, and said Huckabee's win "was evidence of an energized and highly motivated conservative community."

Nearly 60 percent of Iowa Republicans are self-identified evangelicals.

–CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. chris

what an idiot!

you can't be on the far left and be Christian?
    what kind of bigotry is this?

christ should spit in your face you moron!

January 4, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Independent in IA

Thank God not everyone is so hot about turning this nation into a religious theocracy.

January 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. pam Eugene OR

We will see what happens to the Hukster once we leave the bible belt.

January 4, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. Tom Dedham, Mass

If you take away these bible thumpers, Huckabee finishes fourth.

All others that stated that religion is not the sole barometer for choosing a candidate, 3 to 1 voted for Romney.

Huckabee will be an afterthought real soon.

January 4, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Chris, Denver CO

It is well past time for Dr. Dobson to just shut up and go away. The gang of criminals he and his so-called Christian values put into office has done enough damage already.

January 4, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. ike

If anyone has seen any of my posts, I am obviously not a Huckabee supporter. I have seen a lot of pro-Huckabee posts that tell all to find out the truth at mikehuckabee.com. This made me laugh since no candidate is going to point out there own faults. I have gone to the site to see what Huckabee says about the negative things said about him. Obviously it is the exact opposite of what other people are saying about him. So hey, why not do my own research. Good idea, right? Well not so good if you are a Huckabee supporter. One of my main concerns about Huckabee is his battle with the Ethics board. His site, under the link "Truth Squad: Ethics" says, "The overwhelming majority of ethics complaints filed against Governor Huckabee in the state of Arkansas were regularly dismissed and / or proven to be frivolous." I checked to see if this was true. A majority of them have been thrown out, but not ALL. I find it disturbing that the EVANGELICAL RIGHT voted for a man who had, by his own admission, ethics issues. He never said all of them were thrown out. I wanted to know what wasn't thrown out. I wanted to know in what areas he had ethics issues. I would suggest that all others do the same. He also tried to get a statute of limitations on ethics issues? Why would he do this. If he had so many issues with ethics why is anyone voting for him? That is a legitimate question. I would like an answer. I assume the answer will be that he will get rid of the IRS. I have done my research there too. It won't happen. It isn't possible. Even if the Fair Tax was possible, which i doubt it is, the IRS must still exist to collect that tax. SO why, why is the RIGHT voting for a man that doesn't have a fiscal conservative record? Why is the right voting for a man that has ethics issues? Can some one answer this?

January 4, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  7. Jaik , chicago, IL

It is very good news for Democrats, that the GOP made a fatal error in encouraging the nutso religious right over the last 8 years. These people are about "faiith" they are about "belief" , they are not about facts and proof or reality. The GOP can't function with that albatross.

January 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Ryan, New York, NY

Aren't we in the Middle East to spread democracy and stop religious extremism? If so, why are we trying to implement a theocracy here?

Oh I forgot, evanangelical Christianity is the "correct" religion, that's why it's OK (rolls eyes).

January 4, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. g schmid

Can't be a real Christian and support the left's policies (i.e. abortion, sexual perversion, etc.) Wake up!

January 4, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  10. rick

James Dobson does appear to have some validity to his claims that should not be ignored. Only the extreme left in our Democratic party would like to ignore this..and will be to our folly..

January 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. Lev Klinemann, Redondo Beach CA

What did James Dobson say "shocked the far left"?

Hey James, the Democratic voters in Iowa outnumbered the Republican voters by over 2:1,

in IOWA,

the REDESTof the RED states, a wave of the things to come, thank God at last,

Somebody please wake James Dobson up from his religious coma.

January 4, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  12. jim Scottsdale AZ

Why don't the bible thumpers figure out how to change the economy. The Huckster does not even have a clue and the answer is not in the bible, so now what will he do????

January 4, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  13. American Boy

I agree that his remarks are a bit foolish. In any case, I am a Christian and wish that Christians would focus more on what Christ was worried about. Why arent we more focused on feeding the poor and being a light. Im not saying dont vote, I just think we put to much stock into it.

January 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. G.I. Castillo-Feliu/Rock Hill, SC

What Democrats have is several excellent choices; two have dropped out but several are left. No matter what our individual preferences might be, America wins with any of these three: Clinton, Edwards or Obama (listed alphabetically, of course). Republicans, however, seem to often choose among those that are extreme or suggest that they are so as to win over extremes. I look forward to January 26th.

January 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  15. Mike in Iowa

Reply to Chris:

"you can't be on the far left and be Christian?"

If by far left, you're on the side of abortionists and gay marriage proponents, then the answer to your question is a resounding NO!

January 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. Jacque Bauer

Huckawho? Dobson remains an idiot – I can see why CNN loves to quote him to try and give all of us conservatives a black eye with his bigotted and lame remarks. Who annointed him as king?

Please go away!

January 4, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  17. Shane

I see a bunch of Anti-Christians posting here, however Jesus loves each and everyone the same. It doesn't matter how many Christian's or Non-Christians vote, God will always have the ultimate say so!

January 4, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. Linda

What bothers me is that people think if you are religious you must be conservative .

What only Republicans go to church?

I go to church worship My Lord and I am a Democrat.

January 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Iowan

Christian voters do remain a "powerful force". Deal with it.

January 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. No comprende

Unless I've been educated by another God .......... Jesus would definitely be turning the tables over on top of these "war-mongering"
    "compassion -less" "kooks" ..... If we learned anything from Dubya ...... It's that the evangelicals don't have all "divine knowledge" unto themselves!

January 4, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  21. John K

I agree with American Boy. Render unto ceasar that which belongs to ceasar. Let the priests stay in the churches and practice what they preach.

January 4, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. Christian Democrat

I agree with Chris! There are just as many Christians–who vote–on the Democratic side of the aisle. Just because someone is a Christian–or even an "evangelical Christian" does not mean they vote conservatively or Republican. That theory is a big load of rhetoric that's been hoisted on anyone the far right thinks will be gullible enough to believe it. Hillary and John E. and Barack (I believe) are Christians, too–thought that is not a requirement to be president– and although they are not Baptist ministers, they are just as supported by independent-thinking, voting, Christians as Mike Huckabee.

January 4, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. LW Fiske

new hampshire should turn out quite different for huckabee

January 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  24. alan

Saying you are an evangelical is like saying you support warm sunshine and puppy dogs. Who doesn't support those things? But better beware the dark hand of coercion that Dobson represents.

January 4, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Mike

Huckabee has a 0 percent chance of becoming the next President.

January 4, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |