January 4th, 2008

James Dobson lauds Huckabee win

(CNN) - Focus on the Family founder James Dobson pointed to Mike Huckabee’s Iowa caucus win Friday as evidence that religious voters remain a “powerful force” in U.S. politics.

“The results of the Iowa caucuses reveal that conservative Christians remain a powerful force in American politics. That had to be a great shock to those on the far left,'” Dobson said in a statement, according to the Associated Press.

Dobson, who has not officially endorsed a presidential candidate, took aim at "media elites" for dismissing the influence of Christian voters, and said Huckabee's win "was evidence of an energized and highly motivated conservative community."

Nearly 60 percent of Iowa Republicans are self-identified evangelicals.

–CNN's Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Anti-Abortionist

I know many soldiers who are proud of the work they've done in Iraq, who have seen first-hand the appreciation of Iraqis terrorized by their own. My brother was wounded by a roadside bomb. He's home now and he is happy that he could help those people. And you folks (whose only knowledge of the war was gained while sitting in your la-z-boy or logging on to cnn.com) have the audacity to call Bush and his staff "war-mongers" and "criminals".

Also, the Bible states: "You shall not murder." That is why Bible-believing Christians are not Pro-Abortion.

Also, if you'd open your eyes, you could see how Nature proves that homosexual behavior is a perversion. To call someone "bigoted" for opposing the behavior is nonsensical.

January 4, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  2. FAIR TAX,LA.

GEAUX HUCK AND GEAUX WITH THE FAIR TAX!!
    ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  3. RH

Chris and Ryan I so agree. The Republican party is almost done and handed over to a taliban like philosophy. It is about 1/3rd of that party–exactly Huckabee's Iowa numbers. If McCain or someone else can't win that party is going to become the extreme of the extreme and a Huckabee Presidency–oh dear.

I am christian and I am a democrat and left the republican party 5 years ago when I saw it for what it was becoming due to the Dobsonites, Falwells, and Robertsons–a bigoted party that little by little resembles the extremism we are fighting. Of course that may have been because some of them in my area wanted to label me as not a christian because I am a latter day saint. Even when they publicly listened to me announce Christ as my savior they could not see nor hear it. They are truly the blind leading the blind into a ditch.

I grew up evangelical until age 16 so I truly know what I am talking about, their ideas and talk toward people like Romney and Guiliani are definately hateful and bigoted. I know, because I heard it all my young life and it is the same now at jobsites I am sent to where nobody knows I am a mormon and I hear their talk. It is quite amazing just how much profanity preceeds the word mormon or catholic out of an evangelical's mouth at a remote worksite when he does not know who is amongst the crowd. It is startling. It is part of why Huckabee also won.

I went to war in 1991 and stopped Saddam and Iraq the first time and when my number came up the retirement injury came my way and I was medevacced out.

Boy am I glad I am not part of this now in Iraq and boy am I glad that I am not part of a party that refers to left leaning veterans and soldiers as Phony Soldiers and exalts a guy like Huckabee precisely because of his religion and not because of his politics. This is a guy who has so little understanding of Islam and terrorism and the middle east that it FRIGHTENS me–an Army arabic linguist and Middle East expert. This is a guy whose doctrines will run his decisions and he follows nuts like Tim LaHaye that thirst for Armageddon against Muslims and China.

I would rather vote for a man like McCain who will base decisions in reality and not be swayed by any of the extremists out there and knows the suffering of war.

January 4, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  4. Andy Rowell

How many evangelicals voted for Democrats in Iowa? We'll never know. And if things don't change, we won't know in future primaries either. Iowa has many evangelicals. Many more Democrats (239,000) voted than Republicans (112,000). But the press is making a big deal about how most evangelicals picked Mike Huckabee. This is based on polling of only Republicans. If there are many evangelicals in Iowa and twice as many Iowans voted for a Democrat, then probably many evangelicals voted for Democrats. (In an informal poll at Christianity Today, Obama only trails Huckabee). But we'll never know how many evangelicals voted for Democrats because all of the media organizations use the same polling data from Edison Media Research and Mitofsky Interational and the pollsters didn't ask Democratic voters anything about their religion. Worse, if things don't change in the polling, we won't know for any information about the religious preferences of voters for the other primaries either because Edison/Mitofsky is the only one doing polling for all of those primaries as well.

January 4, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  5. Jed in Texas

Why is it that the Jehovas Whitnesses dont meddle in politics or anything to do with the goverment ?Maybe they are doing what God truely wants them to do.I have never seen it written anywhere where Jesus said to over throw the Romans or vote them out.

January 4, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  6. Aaron

I cannot help but be amused by the angry comments made by a number of people here. It's perfectly fine to have your point of view, however to express it in such an unsophisticated manner does little to encourage others to share your opinion. Such bizarre comparisons with middle-eastern extremism, and rude name-calling are poor tactics to employ in trying to get a point across. However, given that I tend to lean to the "religious right" I can only further encourage the rude and uninformed to continue their inappropriate rants.

January 4, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. RH

One final comment...

Dobson can make statements about his "powerful force" all he wants to.

It sickens me that these so called preachers who are really political organizers get TAX EXEMPT STATUS. What they get away with in endorsing candidates and telling people how to vote is sickening. They BREAK the law.

How do I know? Because I went to those churches and heard them tell us who to vote for. Recently, my brother left the Baptist Church in 2004 when his Pastor told the Congregation from the pulpit who NOT to vote for. He listed everyone on the ballot but GW Bush as though he had acted within the law.

Yes friends, there are almost actor equivalents within American evangelical circles that do resemble the extremism I was sent to fight–they just have not gone to guns and bombs yet–except for abortion clinics and their doctors.

January 4, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  8. john

Mr.Huckabee and Mr.Obama will in final – Mark my words.
    Becuase both are having christan supports.

January 4, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  9. Tom Dedham, Mass

If you take away these bible thumpers, Huckabee finishes fourth.

All others that stated that religion is not the sole barometer for choosing a candidate, 3 to 1 voted for Romney.

Huckabee will be an afterthought real soon.

A follow up to my earlier factual post, I am a Conservative leaner that also HAPPENS to be a Christian.

My disdain is not for believing in ones faith or NO FAITH, but basing your whole political ideology or thought process on that alone is asinine.

The media's love fest with this guy will be over real soon.

January 4, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  10. Publish THIS ONE if you *dare*

It sometimes appears as though the old KKK may still be alive and well in the good ‘ol South these days STILL…judging by all the bigotry going around.
    Seeing Huckabee and his supporters(business partners-Huck doesn’t have to spend a dime like others, the televangelist network pays his way along with all the leftist media outlets/publications freebies…) attacking/slandering/slurring a candidate based solely upon their affiliation with a particular minority religious group (Mormon) as a means to win an election because the “Klan” can’t seem to win in any other way is truly sad.
    After the “Khristian Krusading Klan” led by their Grand Wizard Wannabe, The High Huckabeast and his faithful pseudo-supremacist sidekick Jon-Boy McCane and their lethal lieutenant/enforcer/Chuckles igNorramus get the Republican nomination secured by “cross-burning that thar ‘evil’ Mormon right on out” of their Party (…just wait Jews, blacks, hispanics, catholics, hindus, asians, protestants, muslims, etcetera, YOU just might be next after these crusading bigots are done with the MORMON minority group that they are CURRENTLY focused on eliminating…)…
    …THEN after they’ve had their way with the Mormons these same cross-burning/bearing, bigots/supremacists can concentrate on OBAMA after they’re done with Mitt Romney and his family…any bets there will be many allusions to OBAMA having “possible MUSLIM/ISLAM” connections??? Or church affiliation? Where he went to school??? His heritage??? How about his ETHNICITY??? ANY BETS AMERICA???
    I truly hope that ALL AMERICANS left right and center, of ALL religions, colors, cultures, ethnicity can STAND TOGETHER and UNITE against this ugly racist/bigoted BEAST that has reared it’s grotesque head in OUR nation as of late.
    This particular Beast was SUPPOSED to have been buried back in the 60’s/70’s during the civil rights movement (which the Romney family was influential in – hence the reason white-supremacist evangelicals hate them so much).
    MY America is a nation which is supposed to represent EQUALITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL PEOPLE…not just white southern supremacist evangelicals.
    Romney and his father, and his entire family have fought for and stood by OTHER minority groups throughout their lives.
    Now it would be a wonderful miracle that could only happen in OUR country…AMERICA…if all those same minorities that the Romney family has stood by over the years and generations, could somehow find the courage, and somehow find it in their hearts to STAND BY THEM IN RETURN in this their time of need… as they are being attacked left, right, and center by these dishonest, HATRED FILLED BIGOTS. Please consider it America. Please.
    I have but three candidates I care for as I have stated before. Obama, Romney, and Thompson. Any of the three would be good for ALL Americans (regardless of color/religion). I could vote Democrat or Republican and I WILL go for the candidate more so than the party as I have on occasion in the past.
    The candidates that will win my vote will be those that stand for ALL Americans, not just ONE COLOR, or ONE RACE, or ONE RELIGION.
    America let’s all stand together for one another and whether it’s Obama or Romney you want to lead…let’s show these hate-mongoring bigots that they can’t ever succeed in the type of class/Race/religious warfare that they are attempting to instigate amongst our society. They wish to divide America into special interest groups in order to control us all. Let us all unite as EQUALS and AMERICANS and show them what for!!!! May this message somehow find a way into your hearts…we could all use a little more PEACE and COMPASSION and KINDNESS in this world. Here’s to a UNITED AMERICA!!!

January 4, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  11. larry

I live in Arkansas and have met Mr Huckabee. I normally consider myself a democrat ....HOWEVER I am supporting Huckabee because he is honest, creditable, and sincere. He helped Arkansas. We need more good people like him in our government.

January 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  12. Sir Michael L. Foley

What the fundies don't understand is that one can vote for freedom in this nation (abortion, "sexual perversion" etc.) while not believing in them in one's personal life.

January 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  13. Rich Orl, FL

I am part of the large number of Christians in the Democratic Party. That might come as a great shock to the far right by Dobson's assumption; however, it should not be if you consider the record number of Democrats in Iowa last night. The difference is we understand the importance of separation of church and state while respecting everyone's freedom to make their own decisions about religion.

January 4, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  14. Trang, Fremont, CA

Huckabee is a Christian and he is definitely better than Bush. Because he is a pastor, he will utter the word 'God' here and there, but I don't think he will lead a theocracy. However, I don't think he'll last long because the Republican party seem to have issues with him. What a shame – such a nice guy.

Obama is strong enough to change the Democratic party, I don't know if Huckabee can. Good luck, Huckabee.

January 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  15. denny

people want change .....In current polling, most Americans have a very low opinion of the Senate...of which Obama is part of...... much lower than their view of the President. If people want real change, they will have to focus on a Governor to give it to them. America has NO faith in their Congressional leaders (ie: Obama, Clinton)
    Dobson is right on.

January 4, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  16. bangithard

Anyone can be a christian, far left or right. Being a christian simply means taking a book translated many times over the centuries and twisting what it says to live anyway you want, hate anyone you want, look down on anyone you want, etc . . .

January 5, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  17. Trang, Fremont, CA

Can't be a Christian and support the left? How's that? Didn't Christ teach to love all ... even if they are homosexual, prostittute, have gone through abortion, etc. He loves and forgives us even when we crucified him. The lesson is 'love' ... and 'forgiveness'. Learn to love them all and serve them all.

January 5, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  18. Grant Devereaux

Huckabee is not as frightening as James Dobson because at least Huckabee remembers some of what Christ taught us. Christ was the biggest liberal of all time. He chastised the rich for their greed and their keeping too much as their share. He chastised religious leaders who claimed to know the mind of God and who sat in judgment. The Religious Conservatives crucified Christ 2000 years ago and given the chance, they would do it again today.

January 5, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  19. reminiscent in the ATL

All I have to say is that I am a Christian and I don't personally believe in abortion or gay marriage. But, where in the Bible does it say for me (or other Christians) to convert people who do believe those things are Ok into Christians? God tells us to love all people regardless of their beliefs. Yes, I am a Republican and a Christian, but I don't believe in overturning Roe v. Wade... If you want that for your life- go ahead. I don't even care if you want to teach evolution in schools- I will teach my kids what I want them to learn at home regarding that issue on my time. But, in regards to politics- it is long overdue for Christians to stop trying to push our religion on other people in our country or in other countries. Can't we all just get along and love our neighbor's as ourselves. That is what Jesus said is that greatest commandment. And we (the US) have some very poor choices for president this year. Huckabee is ridiculous- they all are. Dobson needs to hear some advice and that is to get out of politics. It is not his place and it never will be. Our religion does not belong in our politics. Let's keep our religion in our homes and teach it to our kids- wait a second... We are too busy to do that anymore. Guess there isn't any instant gratification in that, huh? What have we become? Lazy in everything including our politics. Why can't we get a nominee that actually cares about bringing our country together and not dividing it even more? Maybe I need to start looking at other parties besides the GOP.

January 5, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  20. USAF CAPT

Huckelberry has to constantly ask his aids what the names of the capitol cities in the middle east are, he has to be "advised" about who is where and what the "name of that one feller is" you know the head of state? Ahhhh and he is the potential nominee of the GOP? I have many neighbors who are dems and they are just laughing hysterically at the GOP right now, and all I can do is bow my head and say yup Huck is in the lead of the GOP as his aids help him try to figure out who all them there fellers are leading those far off nations.

Please: MITT, McCain, or Juliani save the GOP before we become the laughing stock of the world with Huck as our leader!

Shhhh dont tell evangelicals that there is room in God's loving arms for others, they think they are the only ones "worthy" to be Christian... shhhh careful to not burst their bubble!

January 5, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  21. Dale Davis, Glendora, California

While the American economy goes down the sink and Wall Street plummets this year, it's so comforting to know that we have scores of narrow-minded paranoid dupes who are actively campaigning (especially in the South) against the Mormon candidate. It was the well-concerted effort by many Evangelical ministers in Iowa who thwarted the Romney campaign. We all know Pope Dobson was rooting for the Huckster from the beginning. He finally came out of the closet and is gloating about the "Christian' candidate. I'm just sure the Huckster will use his business savvy to mastermind our complex economy with his divinity degree from Oachita Baptist College. Then, he will deploy his cerebral army of has-beens, like Ric Flair (professional wrestler), Chuck Norris, etc., to sell scores of cheese wiz in the can, by the caseloads to the Chinese, so that they don't just dump their American dollars on the world market, as its value continue to tank. After all, Chuck will give them all a swift kick. Besides, I'm just sure the whole world will magically be charmed by the Gomer Pyle, with the smile and want to buy cloudy Arkansas diamonds at full price. Besides, we don't need no Wall Street elitists, right Huck. Just play the class warfare card. I'm just sure your Jesus would. South Carolina is next. Praise the Lord and stop the Mormon cultist, right?
    LET THE FRAGMENTATION OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY BEGIN.

January 5, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  22. Ryan, New York, NY

Alex–Texas January 4, 2008 7:41 pm ET

Ryan from NY: We are not in the middle east to stop religious extremism, we are in the middle east to rescue people from oppression and violence. To liberate a nation.

Alex, might I ask what you think spawns the oppression and violence in the middle east?

By the way, when you say "liberate a nation," which one are you talking about? Or is that the nondescript response for all of our aggressive actions?

January 5, 2008 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  23. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

Nope, we of the far left are not surprised. I predicted this on a cnn blog this summer, even before the straw poll. The people that are surprised (and afraid) are the republicans. It sure is nice ti see you guys so divided.

January 5, 2008 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  24. Sam IA

Lawyerchik. Carter disaster? You mean the strategic oil reserve?The breaking of the Bell monopoly? The deregulation of the airline and trucking industries? You must be good at studying law because you obviously get your history lessons from Rupert Murdock. Bwahahahaha

January 5, 2008 06:03 am at 6:03 am |
  25. Susan

Speaking as a Christian, I pray daily that Huckabee is NOT and I repeat NOT our next president. I fear that his own zealous religiosity will interfere with our country's vision of separation of church and state. Some of the mans comments regarding his vision for this country are truly frightening. Such as....."I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ." My comment to that as a Christian is who the heck are you to do that for him?
    My God and My Christ is big enough to do the job him or herself....?????
    So there are many Christians out there that wince at Huckabees comments.
    He is a real threat to our countries constitution....frightening really when you think of
    it....Pardon me while I go pray again....on my knees this time....

January 5, 2008 07:38 am at 7:38 am |