January 5th, 2008

Big New Hampshire crowds for Obama

ALT TEXT

CNN’s Chris Welch reports that as many as 2,000 people crowded into a gym with a capacity of 1,550 to hear Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama Saturday morning in Nashua, New Hampshire. Around 1,000 others were sent to a smaller, overflow gym on-site. (Photo credit: AP)

Related video: 'Obamamania' in New Hampshire

1. Jen

Obama is the next POTUS.

Hillary should quit the race for the sake of the democratic party. She always puts her personal ambitions above the unity of the party. Hillary is ready to lead, but America is not willing to follow her.

HILLARY, QUIT NOW!

January 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. TRACY

I LIKE OBAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I LIKE OBAMA. HE HAS WON MY TRUST

January 5, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. Nando, Florida

AFTER NH she will have a total meltdown like Britney Spears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. TRACY

I LIKE OBAMA!!!!!

January 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. Bob in NH

OK, folks, let's settle down.

As someone who was actually at the event in question this morning, I can assure you there were no buloads of college kids being delivered. The traffic to get onto the HS property in Nashua was backed up over a mile, and I walked about that far to get into the secondary gym. He came over after the main rally, spoke for a bit, and then worked the rope line. The Secret Service was limiting autographs, not the Senator–he just didn't have time. Books were taken into a back room and quickly signed by the candidate after the event, but I saw only one of those in a crowd of about 500 in the small gym.

Calling the event "hastily arranged" is probably accurate, but in this state, we take our role very seriously, and many I talked to in attendance today were there to see the candidate in person, which is part of the tradition of the NH Primary. Some, like me, are still undecided, and in fact this event has me leaning toward Hillary. It's fairly easy here to get the candidate's schedules, and I'll be off to see Gov. Romney tomorrow, as I like to see all the major players before Tuesday, regardless of who I'm going to vote for.

Oh, and Senator Obama is a Christian born in Honolulu, not a Muslim from outside the USA. See, we do know our candidates here.

January 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. No Name

If obama gets the nomination, I'll will definately vote republican!

January 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. heartlight 3, Maui, HI

Betty – Barack Obama was born in 1961 in Honolulu. That makes him a born American. I know because I was also born in Honolulu considerably before 1961 and I am a born American. You say he is a "muslin", but as far as I know you don't inherit a religion because one of your parents belongs to that religion. (The exception to that may be Judaism) My mother was a Catholic, but that does not make me a Catholic. Like Obama, I chose to be a Christian as an adult. Like Obama, that makes me a Christian. Please do not base your opinion on made up "facts".

January 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  8. Mike

Is it just me? or does it seem really odd that someone who was never heard of 4-6 years ago suddenly is drawing such crowds? I'm not making any interpretation or assumptions...just something to think about. Doesn't the Bible make reference to the Anti-christ being VERY charismatic and drawing people into him by promising "togetherness" and being a "uniter" and being VERY eloquent in their speech? hmmm. Sound like someone we know? Perhaps someone who is promising a "change to benefit everyone"?? And in case you are wondering, yes I am a registered Democrat, and not actively a church-goer, so please don't think I'm a "bible thumper". I just don't trust Obama. He has a knack for saying EXACTLY what the people want to hear, even if realistically we all know he can never deliver it by himself. He is running for President...NOT king.

January 5, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  9. stan pitts pa

hope is the American way and so is obama, this country is losing serious ground in the world, our dollar is going to the dumps, oil is ridiculously high, this country is not working for the people anymore, because corporate interest/greed has taken over the, American peoples interest in govt, i want the govt to work for every American and reduce the power of special interests and lobbyist groups in washington, obama is your man, real agent of change and hope, the old washington way is simply not gonna cut it anymore, we need to revamp and renew our govt, with someone with little or no ties to this old corrupt govt,choose obama08, lets rescue America people its all we got, this bad govt have put us in serious debt with china, with the old (hrc) you will get more of the same failing strategies and judgement, lets choose obama for hope, wisdom and good judgement, to always put America first!

January 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  10. Joe

Betty, You are sadly misinformed. He's a Christian, American-born citizen. American citizens who are not born in the United States are not allowed to be president. That's in the Constitution.

January 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. nate, NYC

If Hill is the nom of course Id support her but folks ask yourself this: remember rite after 9-11 when you felt PROUD to be an American? Then Bush slowly chipped away at it... Would you really feel that pride if another Clinton ran the country? We have a chance w/ Obama to actually look up to the President again, the way its supposed to be. Dont waste this opportunity to be proud of your country and your president again. Show the rest of the world, including the middle east why America is still the greatest country in the world. Obama '08.

January 5, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. RT

I went to my first Democratic caucus (because I was a Republican until Thursday night). Iowa is the least diverse state I have lived in but Obama had supporters from all ages, races and categories. Obama had 122 votes at my caucus Hillary 44 (she needed 42 to be counted viable at 15% of the total voters) and after discussing my experience with friends and co-workers this seemed to be the norm for the night at many precincts. No disrespect to women or seniors but the Hillary supporters were 90% seniors, 95% women and 90% white. People in Iowa were voting for CHANGE! As americans I think we are starting to figure out that EXPERIENCE doesn't equal change just more of the same! Get ready for Hill to take the trip to negative town as some of her suporters are doing on this board, it's politics 101!

JenB- I'm hopeful most of our country doesn't base their voting decisions on autographs,pictures and celebrity and by the way I'm sure those those seniors at my caucus were bussed in by Hill!

Dave- Please take your medication now!!!

Betty- I'm booing you right now! Please put down your rebel flag and join the human race!

January 5, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  13. Lisa Salt Lake City UT

Who cares if Obama bussed people in? If people want to hear him speak, and he can bring them in by bus loads – he is helping the environment by keeping all the cars off the roads. Bottom line is people wouldn't go to hear him if they didn't want to – can you imagine young people spending their time at a rally that they didn't want to attend?

January 5, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. Sérgio, Porto, Portugal

Again, some women come out trying to defend one of their own!

Look, I'd like to see a woman as President of United States but as someone said...women waited far too long to choose the first one with some chances.....! Also, getting a women elected is no longer such a big deal....take a look at India or Germany for instance....

January 5, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. doro, USA

"A vote for obama is a vote for terror and commuism in america.Weare voting for the president of the United States of america not the Beta club.He is a muslin not a born American." – betty

Betty,
    Are you sure? Check this out: Barack Obama was born in America of a white American mother from Kansas a black father from Kenya. He has always been a Christian.

If he were a muslim, does his religion automatically make him a bad person?

I totally agree with you that we are voting for the president of the United States of America. So, let's look at each candidate's character, vision, mission, direction in which they want to take the country, and where they stand on specific domestic policies and foreign policy, based on facts, especially what comes out of their own mouths.

January 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. matt

I love Obama to win but the question is " Can he win The election for the white house?" I doubt that. And I don't think so. Democrats should think to choose a person who can challenge the repablican choice. Other wise they will regret!! The applouse and the fresh face is great but think far away accross the line. Who really can win againest the republican party?

January 5, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  17. TJ

Could not agree more... all I hear from Obama is change, change, change... but he does not talk about how he would bring about change. I find most of his speeches just empty rhetoric....

January 5, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  18. RT

Art- I guess by your count everyone should just stay out of the political process and hand the nomination to Hillary, great idea! As a former active Republican, they are convinced that one sure way to have a shot at beating the Democrats in the Presidential election would be the nomination of Hillary. She is such a polarizing figure that Republicans and Independents will come out in droves to vote against her not for the Republican nominee. If she does get elected who on the Republican side of congress will work with her?????

January 5, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Bryan Murphy, NJ

he is fake

January 5, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  20. Whatever

Obama is NOT a muslim. He is and was christian. Stop spreading lies. Go read his biography.

Obama is the next generations future. The over 50 crowd had there chance, now it is our generations time to lead.

January 5, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  21. Pedro, Las Vegas, NV

Wall, what has Hillary done but cackle and lie and "reinvent" her way to the nomination? Instead of offering clear policy positions, she has attacked Obama for at one point abusing drugs, her staff going so far as to call him a drug dealer. Instead of appealing to people and asking them for their vote, she has said Obama is inexperienced and naïve. Instead of giving the American people the truth, she has changed her positions whenever the political winds blew a different direction, being for the quagmire in Iraq before she voted against it... Sound familiar? She is not electable and is only tenable because of Bill Clinton. In fact, that's the only reason anyone really cares. If she ran for senator of New York as Hillary Rodham, without having been married to Bill Clinton for as long as she had been then, she would have lost by a landslide. She has ridden Bill's coattails all the way to the Senate and now wants to do the same with the presidency? I think not. And apparently, the American people agree with me.

January 5, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Jeff , NJ

I don't undrsatnd What change he is goign to bring he is implying by electing a Black man is making a change or what ? Its about time people start analyzing his motives
    BTW I am Black

January 5, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Chris

First, Obama's speeches are entirely empty, passionate, but empty. Read a transcript, don't be an idiot, he has NO plans on how to execute this "change," and offers "hope." Remember Jimmy Carter? I don't think we want to repeate his presidency, but elect Obama and that's exactly what will happen. And Tyrone, since you hate gays so much, remember two things: (1) Obama is MORE liberal than Hillary; (2) you sound like a homosexual yourself

January 5, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. Sandy

Everyone seem to think Obama and Hillary are the answer,but has anyone taken into account what both the candidates stand for besides Hillary with the blame game and Obama with I stand change game.Think people

January 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Gary

@ 'Wall' above – Oprah Winfrey has nothing to do with this and that whole thing is old news. Obama has a set of viable policies as well as a distinguished record of service and success. Visit the candidates' websites (of at least the frontrunners Edwards, Clinton and Obama) and you'll see for yourself what each has to say on the issues. Then perhaps you can repost with a comparison rather than just waving your arms wildly about.

January 5, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |