January 5th, 2008

Big New Hampshire crowds for Obama

ALT TEXT

CNN’s Chris Welch reports that as many as 2,000 people crowded into a gym with a capacity of 1,550 to hear Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama Saturday morning in Nashua, New Hampshire. Around 1,000 others were sent to a smaller, overflow gym on-site. (Photo credit: AP)

Related video: 'Obamamania' in New Hampshire

1. Bob

Not electable?? Baloney. Polls indicate Republicans find him least objectionable. I have talked to numerous Republicans who rail against Hillary and don't like the "trial lawyer Edwards" One older religious Republican looked like his head was going to explode when I mentioned Hillary and almost screamed "that B....." But he as well as the others said they kind of liked the Obama guy. They also said that stuff about him being a muslim is simply not true, that he is a Christian. Independents seem to be breaking for Barack. Keep in mind that he won big in Iowa where only 2% of pop. is white. The Edwards and Clinton caucus people I talked to liked Obama and clearly would support him in November. I hardly think he is "more liberal" than Hillary and Edwards. He is clearly the real agent for change and the country is ready for him.

January 5, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. samuel

i think america is pregnant genuine and honest man who fits everywhere from foriegn policy to economy that man is barrak obama.

January 5, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Doug

Jennifer B....I think you have an insecurity problem...In all my years as a lifelong Democrat, Obama inspires me the most as an agent of change. Quit worrying about the fact he didn't have time to take a picture with your kids. Pretty insignificant if you ask me when you look at the big picture. Go Barack!!!!
    P.S. Good organizers bus in supporters. How can you fault that Jennifer B.?

January 5, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Sarah

Obama and Hillary have very similar policy positions. I am republican and so will not be voting for any one of them. However, the fact that a non-caucasian male and female are leading presidential candidates in 2008, makes me proud to be an american. Whether republicans or democrats win the whitehouse in 2008, all americans can be proud to say – these elections gave us faith that we have come a long way from where we started. May the best woman or man win the whitehouse, we do need change in washington – even we new republicans know that for sure because the baby boomers have divided this country based on class and race for too long! A huckabee/obama nomination would be great! An ivy league well educated charistmatic bi-racial senator and a simply educated , christian, charismatic white guy......both connect with the poor, women and young voters........now that would be an interesting election.

January 5, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. Ron

"Betty" can you please get your facts straight Obama is a Christian. "Wall" can you tell me what stellar things have been accomplished by Senator Clinton (outside of her changing, her position depending on the direction the wind blows just to get votes). She also talks about change and hasn't done one thing exemplary since she has been elected to demonstrate that she is an agent of change. If Edwards/Obama were in the race then I would have to support Hillary only she is clearly better than the Republicans group of candidates. But the more I hear from her the more I know that she isn't the leader for me because she isn't consistent and I don't trust her . As far as I'm concerned either Obama or Edwards instead of Clinton. If she does get the Democratic nomination I will hold my nose and reluctently vote for her. Although I hope it doesn't come to that.

January 5, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. Nat, Brooklyn, NY

What kind of change he is talking about (Obama)? Did he do anything positive for the country for all years he is the Senator? Nothing. All his promises in the mode: “They did, we will do”, and no one a substantial plan or vision. He is a good speaking fraud!

January 5, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. Canadian Craig

As an outsider, anyone but more Clintons or Bushes will work!

January 5, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Dave, Evergreen CO

All aboard!!!

There is plenty of room for everyone on the Obama Express!!

January 5, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. R. Bolinger

I believe that as long as special interest growps cotrol policy , nothing will change. Regardless of which candidate is elected. I am for John Edwards, because he is the only one that seems to be serious about getting them out of the pockets of goverment. I think that John Edwards has been ignored by the news media. My second choice is obama.

January 5, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Stephen

I heard as many as 4000 were waiting to see him, others said 3000.

Go Obama! The Movement has begun.

January 5, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. Hmmm

What's with the gay bashing comments above? Why is that appropriate or relevant to anything in this article? Democrats are supposed to be the ones in favor of equality, not childish and asinine homophobic comments on a news site.

"The WHALES (White Homosexual And Liberal Elites) supporting Hillary are the best spin doctors next to Grampa Bill."

"Mitt Romeny and Obama seem to have the MO, while Hillary has the Ho MOs"

What's that about? Grow up people.

January 5, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. JOSIE COLUMBIA SC

It's so funny how people who are against Obama have nothing but unrealistic biased bull to spew. Lets talk about truth. If you are a real critic make it at least seem as though you make sense. I can say a million things about clinton that would make sense yet its not about her. it is about the urgency of now.ITS OBAMA TIME!!!!!!

January 5, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  13. Stephen

Art is in la la land, not only is Obama going to win big in NH, half of Hillary's 'super' delegates are going to switch sides, her support is very soft and is grounded in her husband, and her 'experience,' neither of which seems to have helped her in Iowa.

January 5, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. Frank

I ask all of you Obama supporters only one question: If you have a deadly disease that is very hard to manage and treat, and if left untreated will kill you, would you go to a physician who just graduated from Harvard or some other top University, or would you go to a physician who has a degree from a top school and also years of experience with treating various cases and would know better what might work or not work in your case? Yes, Barak Obama may be a great guy who is brilliant and some day might have enough experience to treat this deadly disease our nation faces, and if untreated will certainly kill our greatness at home and around the world. Who ever you vote for, please take into account the experience that the candidate offers. I am an independent who wants to vote democrat this election, but if Obama gets the candidacy, I am more likely to vote for a more experienced candidate, even if he is a republican. I am sure a lot more people will feel the same way if it comes down to that scenario.

January 5, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  15. monte

Betty, obama is NOT a muslem, and he WAS born in the united states.
    you should research the facts before you spread false rumors.

January 5, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  16. Paul Ntulila

I don't think so that Obama will not win because he is not good enough experience through his sentator just 4 years. I want to Hillary Clinton is going to win as first woman president because she had lots of experience in First Lady and sentator. I believe that Hillary will be very good president.

DONT TRUSSSTT OBAMA.

January 5, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Brandon

I also think that this is Obama's season, and I am looking forward to an Obama/Edwards ticket.

January 5, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  18. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

Hillary was already co-President for 8 years, that's how she has all her experience, right? If not, then why is she talking out of both sides of her mouth this way? A US President may only serve for 8 years. Fact. We do not need or want her and Bill in there for another 4 or 8. It's just wrong on all levels!

Hillary has mastered the 'convenient delivery of a message' to the American people. She will say what she thinks you want to hear, even if it's a lie, then go to another venue and say something completely opposite, even if IT'S also a lie, just to appease THAT crowd. She's done it over and over and over – for YEARS!

You people have GOT to wake up! She is a fraud, a cheat, a bully and a liar! She does not deserve to be the Leader of our great country!

Can you actually imagine HER commanding the troops? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

January 5, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. andy

I hope and I really do Hope that Not a problem from the past like a attack on the USA happens in the first 100 hours of the new president or that a larger war breaks out with in this year because this country seems to forget that afganistan is coming apart as we speak maybe Iraq is cooled down and then pakastan is still hot so the next person who sits in that office better have balls so i think experince will matter so be careful for what you wish for for you who are young and you who have children of fighting age!

January 5, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Rico

I'm really not interested in Hillary's message of leading...and "being ready on day one"...I want someone to represent me not lead me and that's what the Obama mentality brings...He's ready to "represent" the people on day while Hillary is flaunting a "lead" message that's already presumed to come with the job...

January 5, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Steve D

Like so many others, i am feed up with the political system as it is. HRC represents more of the same in my oppinion. Barack represents a change from the norm. Would we be taking a chance on him? yes. he is an unknown. But this country was founded on, well, basicly an experiment. i am willing to take a chance. He has my vote!

January 5, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. TimothyB

The only thing Obama bussed in to Nashua was a whoopin'!! :-)

No, there is enough coverage of this to prove that is total bunk. New Hampshireites came in record numbers to see the next president of the United States. The traffic was snarled for miles.. so much so that half the media couldn't even GET there!!

The Overflow room was full.. there were 100s of people waiting outside still!

OBAMA 08!!!!!

January 5, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  23. Steve D

ohh and one other thing about Barack. he inspires. when have we as a country last been inspired?

January 5, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. Greg, Brattleboro, VT

Jennifer, do your homework please! You tried once you failed. In Obama we trust!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  25. nadeem

Obama represent the kind of change the Democratic party fought 40 years to get. The very thing that drew the Clintons to politic so many years ago. To have a man judged based on the content of his charachter not the color of his skin.

Mayor Bloomgerg is telling his friends that if Obama wins he will not run. The reason, he does not want to been seen as retarding progress, and keeping the first African-American from becoming president.

This is what the Clintons risk doing, by fighting against a core principle of the Democratic party they appear petty an power hungry. How can they fight against the very thing they claim to have fought 40 years for, to have a black man afforded the opportunity to seek the presidency of the United States?

The more they fight against the Obama movement, the more they appear like the same people who told Dr. King to slow down, who told Dr. King that America was not ready for the type of equality he sought. THe very people who told Dr. King to wait till next time. They appear to be on the wrong side if history, to not understand the 'fierce urgency of now' A terrible place for their legacy to end.

The Clintons may be better off dropping out sooner rather than later, and get behind the movement. Otherwise even if they win the nomination they will end up doing a disservice to the very movement tht drew them to politics in the first place.

January 5, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |