January 5th, 2008

Big New Hampshire crowds for Obama

ALT TEXT

CNN’s Chris Welch reports that as many as 2,000 people crowded into a gym with a capacity of 1,550 to hear Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama Saturday morning in Nashua, New Hampshire. Around 1,000 others were sent to a smaller, overflow gym on-site. (Photo credit: AP)

Related video: 'Obamamania' in New Hampshire

1. OBAMA 2008

I am glad to hear that amewrica finally got smart and finally realize that obama will forever be the greatest president we may ever have!! He can get us out of this disater and he can do it the right way!! I am glad to hear that Hillary is done! thats what i think anyway!!

January 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. Jake, California

The mistake a lot of you against Obama make is either that you don’t listen to his speeches entirely or when you do, you don’t understand what he is saying because you allow hate to take priority over understanding.

Before and after the Iowa caucuses, Clinton lead Obama 31 to 28 in NH in a cnn poll. But just look at the crowd that has shown for Obama, that number may soon change, drastically too.

All through out the Iowa campaign, I continued to say that the CNN polls were not reliable because the crowds I saw behind Obama, weren’t indicative of the poll results. I actually believed the Des Moines Register poll that came out a day before the Iowa Caucuses. In my own speculation, I predicted a 40% win for Obama but 38% was close enough.

The simple rules to the 2008 elections are these:
    A. Negative campaigning will hurt you more than the targeted opponent
    B. Hating other voters or their candidates will hurt your candidate of choice
    C. Being a copy cat makes your ideas ridiculous and will turn voters off

The sad thing is Clinton and most of her supporters haven’t realized these yet so they are still hitting and coping.

I actually preferred Hilary Clinton before I got to know there was somebody called Obama and once I did, it was so easy to change because I saw substance. I still like Hillary but she has quite a bit more distance to go if she must continue this race.
    She’ll have to drop the notion/concept of CHANGE b/c its hurting her but again when she doesn’t there may not be much to convince Americans about.

Jennifer B.
    Whether he bussed them in or not it doesn’t matter. What’s important is that they were willing to go so he offered assistance. THEY WERE NOT FORCED!
    Your comments are childish and negative instead of being ARGUMENTATIVE and CONVINCING!

Betty,
    This is exactly what I mean by negativity and hating. Not many Americans will want to be with you behind the same candidate knowing that you hate Muslim Americans. After all, Muslim Americans are Americans too just like you!

Art,
    No! The answer is a resounding YES!
    Even before the democrats face the Republicans, he is the only democrat candidate who beats all five republicans…please go here.

Once Obama is done with the other democrats, these numbers will grow even higher, I am strongly convinced because he will have a huge national attention by then.

I am not sure you are right about the delegate argument but if it is the case then Obama will get more delegates as he wins more states so wining more states is all were are concerned about now, not how many Clinton already has. How did she get those delegates anyway?

All said and done, I believe
    it is disrespect on the part of those Americans who booed Senator Clinton…this is not constructive. True she may have her faults(we all do) but she has work hard too for her respect…it is due her. You don’t have to agree with her ideas but don’t disrespect her.

January 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. Daws

Yeah Mike...sounds like Bush. Geez, how come peoples anti-christ radars never bleep for republicans I wonder? I mean just to start the list, this guy DID start two wars...

January 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  4. stan pitts pa

hillarys breakdown will be worse than britneys when she loses the whole election.

January 5, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  5. Kimberly Peacock

Obama and his strong relationship with black supremacists views does not go well with his campaign rhetoric. Why is this not national news and why has the media not dug in much further.

The below is from an article written by Erik Rush a Black Newswriter

Well, to say that the Trinity United Church of Christ is afrocentric in the extreme would be a gross understatement. It’s not simply afrocentric, it’s African-centric. In fact, one could argue that this organization worships things African to a far greater degree than they do Christ, and gives the impression of being a separatist “church” in the same vein as do certain supremacist “white brethren” churches – or even Louis Farrakhan’s Nation of Islam.

Shocking? An overstatement? An overreaction?

One can see for oneself on the Trinity United Church website, which is replete with confirmation of what I present here. What follows is an excerpt from their Mission Statement:

“We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian...Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain 'true to our native land,' the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

“Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
    2. Commitment to the Black Community
    3. Commitment to the Black Family
    4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
    5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
    6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
    7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
    8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
    9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
    10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
    11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
    12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.”

Sound familiar? Of course it is, since it’s identical to the 12-point list at the beginning of this column – the one from the theoretical white supremacist candidate’s church; the only difference is the substitution of the word “Black” for “White.”

Trinity United Church of Christ’s congregation also claims to hold to a “10-point Vision” which is similarly afrocentric, or if you will, separatist. Again, like the Nation of Islam, a white separatist church or the Branch Davidians, Trinity United more resembles a cult than a church. Only this one has as one of its most prominent members a serious contender for the White House.

January 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  6. Bob - FL

Reference Comment from Mike January 5, 2008 1:59 pm ET:

What a ridicules comment to add to this blog. I remind you that on Jan 2nd Mike Huckabee stated that Barack Obama was someone he admired.

Wake up and smell the coffee beans baby!! "Tomorrow" always trumps "Yesterday" and we are not only going to turn the page we are going to publish a new book!

Obama '08

January 5, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Mark Billingsley, Sacramento, Calif.

People, people, people, learn the difference between a stump speech and a policy speech. When I listen to Hillary (and that's not often) if she's on the stump I'm not expecting particulars. I'm examining her broader themes and see if they connect with what I think we should be doing to secure this country's future. And that's just it. Hillary and I do not connect. I feel a connection to Obama and that's why I work hard for his campaign out here in California. If I want to find out about a candidate's specific policy ideas I go to their web site or I read the newspapers.

January 5, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. lorna

I am going to do exactly what the Republicans want- The Republicans won this democrat over and now I will do what ever it takes to keep someone like OBAMA from getting in! It scares me to death to think how muslim extremists will view an American president with the name Barack Hussein OBama! Surely the will see him as an ally!! If Obama was honestly a Christian then why won't he change his name!! Has everyone forgotten 911 Bin Ladin running free- the Iraq war and Sadamm Hussein???? Why is everyone getting so excited by Obama?? It is like the 30s when everyone went crazy over Hitler!! The country is under an evi spell!!!!

January 5, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. Bimmer

Obama Weak for Fighting Terrorism

The greatest threat the US and the western world face is that of Islamic terrorism and one decision and one commnet Obama made strengthen the arguments that he will be very soft on this critical threat, presumably because of his Muslim heritage.

1. His deceision not to support Iraq war when all the intelligence indicated Iraq had WMD clearly showed his unwillingness to attack a Muslim country. Unless he had a private communication line with Saddam Hussein, he would have no way of knowing Iraq got rid of all of its WMD.

2. His willingness to sit down with the the current Iranian President, who wants the destruction of Israel and the western world. unconditionally is an indication that Obama is sympathetic to the Islamic world and not to the western world.

No amount of call for "change" and "hope" can hide the fact that Obama, if elected, will be very soft on terrorism.

January 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. mike w

Obama '08!

Fired up! Ready to go!

Time for baby boomers and all their petty squabbles to step aside. The rest of us are ready to take over and clean up your messes. I can't wait for President Obama!

January 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. omatseye

I am glad to see a lot more younger folks interested in this years election. As it should be. I am very concerned about who becomes the next president of the united states of america. I guess I would be considered an independent because I am not a repub or demo. I would only vote from my personal rationale and logic. I do believe we need a change right now. because the world as a whole no longer respects the united states. Obama is a change if he becomes specific and Huckabee is a change if he stops using inueundos in insulting every other candidate because he claims to be a Minister, should he be runing for presidency in the first place? Please reps and demos. nominate Obama and Huckabee respectively and then ask them specific questions

January 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  12. John Tangen

Bill O'Rielly is an idiot. That's the nicest thing I can say about him.

January 5, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. skc

America is not ready for a Black president nor are they ready for a woman.
    Obama is a refreshing and I really think he could get the job done.
    The wihite house is need of some honesty and trust for the American people.
    I am a democrat and will be voting for Obama

January 5, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  14. Vox Populi VA

Poor uninformed Betty.

Obama's mother was an American, so that makes him a BORN American–you can't be president unless you are a born American. As far as being a "muslin"–you a sadly mistaken. He is a Christian just like ALL of the other candidates. He is, however, NOT a Christian like George Bush who will lie in order to get us into an unjust war where over a million of God's innocent children have been killed.

January 5, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  15. S. Wright

Looking at all the "Change" signs in the picture before this story, I just have to ask what change will be brought about.

See, Jimmy Carter talked about change, too. We got change all right. It soon became apparent that Carter was not Presidential material real quick after all the "The Grin Will Win" signs were put on the ash heap.

I fear Mr. Obama is another Jimmy Carter. I fear that the political conditions that got Carter elected are replicating themselves this campaign season.

Until Mr. Obama, or any other Democrat, can state what dangers he/they perceives out there, and what as President he would do with regard to method in handling them, my vote will go to someone else in a different party.

Change for Change's sake has never been good.

January 5, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  16. Jackie, Allen TX

Senator Obama has ideas/plans to get this country back on track and they are laid out fairly well on his website. Well, they are laid out as well as they can be on a website. He couldn’t possibly exhaust the possibilities in a brief speech, debate, interview or website. He will not accomplish these plans on his own, and anyone who thinks any of the candidates can do this is not very wise.

Later this year, we are going to elect a president (presider), not a dictator (ruler). We need someone who can bring the best and the brightest together to work towards the common good of our country and improve/secure our position on the world stage. Since no single individual has all the answers, they need to be able to identify, organize, motivate and mobilize people with the right expertise for the particular issue being addressed. This is the only way we are going to be able to work towards resolving the numerous challenges facing our nation.

Based on comments that have been appearing in blogs, etc. over the course of the past months, there are lots of folks out there who could benefit from brushing up on how our government works and those characteristics that make for an effective leader/president. Then, commit to the candidate that best fits the mold for you. Also, a reading comprehension refresher might be helpful for many and especially those who are still commenting on Senator Obama being a Muslim (sorry to go negative, I hated to have to do this). All of this will be extremely helpful as we move full throttle into the presidential election process.

I will not suggest how others should vote. But do vote and make as informed a decision as possible based on your own convictions. Remember, you don’t have to talk down or make unnecessary negative comparisons to support your candidate. Simply support them based on their own merits.

As for me, it’s Obama 08!

January 5, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  17. Teresa, Kansas

Jeff in NJ: Obama's motives have been questioned and have been answered - CHANGE AMERICA FOR THE BETTER. Where have you been???

Nobody in this string cares that you are Black!!! It does not matter! This is not about voting based upon race, this about voting based upon what is BEST. And in case you were wondering, I AM A BLACK WOMAN and support him 1000%,

January 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  18. Heather

Betty:

Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and last time I checked, it was part of the United States of America. He is not nor has he ever been a "muslin" [sic]. He became involved with the United Church of Christ in 1985 and joined the Christian congregation shortly after which was long before he had a political career.

I guess you do know that a person can only be elected president of the US if they were born here?

You should check your facts before you start posting so you won't look completely uninformed and spread very inaccurate information about a person. Or was that what you really wanted to do?

January 5, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. RDO

In November 2006, I had the opportunity to hear Obama speak in Nashville TN...whoa! Talk about excitement and hope! I knew right then that if he ever thought of running for the top office in our great country, I would really consider voting for him... talk about a fresh breathe of air! I DO understand the large crowds...he is warm and you just feel like you are the one he is talking to.. I wish him the best of luck... Even read his last book,,,which made me much more confident in voting for him. Nowdays, it is much more important to be diplomatic with leaders we do not agree with. Wars, guns, verbal abuse do not solve problems. Give him a chance, be open-minded! Read and read and really listen!

January 5, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. Festus N.

THe fact still remains, nobody moves the crowd like Obama... "The Obama Factor". At long last, Martin Luther King Jnr. will rest easy knowing that there is someone out there with the great oratory skills, courage, sincerety, and vision, to lead this great nation.
    Lets face it, you could very easily go to sleep when the others are talking, but not when Obama is. He is the singular person who has made this years campaign or elections interesting.
    To me, this man Obama, stands for more than just change, he is the future: the future we have all worked for and promised our children; and now, this future has by the graceous votes of all well-meaning and thinking Americans, is today.
    He is the handsomest of the candidates; the youngest of the candidates; the sexiest, and the most he has not lost his voice in the campaign like the others.
    HRC says, she has experience behind her, what experience? She must be reminded that this election is not for the Office of the First Lady of the United States of America. The best she can be is to be the Campaign director of the Obama Campaign Train.
    Now, stand back, Barack the 'Train' Obama is coming your way...on his way to Washington!

January 5, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. KA, Delaware

I strongly believe Obama is the right person America needs to get back on track. People are wrongly reasoning when they bring religion related issues in politics. This country has been dangerously divided on the basis of religion, race, richness, etc . The time has now come to turn over those dirty pages in the history of America, and unify the US. The right person for such deep/profound political change is Obama. Obama 08, let us push him forward, let us support him. Thanks!
    KA

January 5, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  22. RDO

This is for Jennifer B,,, I got a hug from Obama and I didn't even have his book with me...did he say "no, I am not going to hug you?" Sorry, just don't believe you...sounds like he just passed over you...can't shake or hug every hand there. Don't take it personally.

January 5, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. 5000

B-Rock is the future! Stop fighting it

January 5, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  24. Sudesh Kumar

Nothing against any of the Candidates running,It doesnt affect me directly coz i am an Indian National,but it bothers me to watch people in a country like America go all frenzy over a pre meditated and well prepared speech just to woo the crowds,Somebody once said "Change is the only thing Constant in Life"
    so whats all this talk of change only in an election speech,U Americans need to be more realistic,I thot u guys were brilliant u proved me wrong.U need to choose a president not for change or poverty or tough on terror ,u need to look for a Person who will be respected around the world.... Comeon guys its America A dream nation stop acting like it United States of AFRICA...........................

January 5, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  25. Jennifer

WHAT THE HEACK. I saw this on here this afternoon and at that time it said 2,000 showed up wich it still does but the overflow room at that time ihad 100. SO then i look again later its 300 then 500 now you claim 1,000 GET THE STROY STRAIGHT!!!!!

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |