January 5th, 2008

Big New Hampshire crowds for Obama

ALT TEXT

CNN’s Chris Welch reports that as many as 2,000 people crowded into a gym with a capacity of 1,550 to hear Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama Saturday morning in Nashua, New Hampshire. Around 1,000 others were sent to a smaller, overflow gym on-site. (Photo credit: AP)

Related video: 'Obamamania' in New Hampshire

1. BJ

It's great that we have so much energy at the beginning of the election season. :) Obama, whether you like him or not, has the ability to energize the electorate and bring out new voters amongst the young and old just as John F Kennedy did. Obama is not a Kennedy by any means, but the time is ripe for a message of change.

The politics of fear won't play in this election. A winning candidate must brand themselves as a positive agent of change for the future of this country.

I'm undecided at this point who I will support. It's still not clear to me which candidate will serve our country best. My main issues right now are the future of energy-can we wean ourselves off of oil so when it hits $200 a barrel in the future, we can just shrug and say, dang, glad we don't use that stuff anymore? Hydrogen, biofuels from algae or plant mass are options. Also developing our solar, geothermal, wind, and wave technologies to generate power are important as well. Maybe Al Gore for energy czar in the next administration?

Another issue I have is an independent FDA. Presently, it seems to be a rubber stamp for industry. Lets make it a science based agency, rather than profit oriented. The safety of our people is more important than the profits of companies importing toys with lead in them or chemical/pharmaceutical companies creating drugs that receive minimal testing.

January 5, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  2. Harry Flanagan

The foundation of this country was based on Christianity. God gave man a right to either believe in him or not and the founding fathers knew this being the reason for the freedom of religion. Independence is part of being an American so why are we so dependent on our government as if we were babies sucking on mommy's bosoms. I think it is time we all grown up and playing the role of adults. I am for Liberties and freedoms, this man has neither but wants to evoke and build government. We don't need more government we need less. Some quotes that stuck to me:

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin-

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves".
    Abraham Lincoln-

"Commerce with all Nations. Alliance with none".
    Thomas Jefferson-

"Peace is not the absence of conflict. It is the ability to handle conflict through peaceful means".
    Ronald Reagan-

"It is not we Non-Interventionists who are isolationists.
    The real Isolationists are those who impose Sanctions and embargo's on Countries and the peoples across the globe"... and who choose to use force overseas to premote Democracy... a counterproductive approach that actually leads the U.S. to be more resented and more isolated in the world.
    Ron Paul-

Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

"Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth".
    George Washington-

Murray N. Rothbard
    1926-1995

"Since 1980, the Fed has enjoyed the absolute power to do literally anything it wants to buy not only U.S. government securities, but any asset whatever, to buy as many assets, and to inflate credit as much as it pleases... There are no restraints on the Federal Reserve. The Fed is master of all it controls."

Now my view on what a country is:
    The government loves it when people put up no resistance and especially when the people dislike politics! I see myself to be a revolutionary and stand by the constitution which I also believe is under attack by, in my opinion, our dictator President Bush. People need to be self educated or the ignorance will surely be taken advantaged of. Like a slave we will be uneducated and dependent on the government as our masters, slaves are individuals kept ignorant and must be dependent on something to take care of their needs survival. Seriously hippies were political masters that new the law in and out and did not stand down from authority. The authority was created by the people for the people not the other way around. So before you claim to want nothing to do with politics ask yourself this… do you keep your body in shape and if you don’t what is the outcome now and in the future?

Example:
    Country: Body
    Blood cells: People
    Illness: Corruption
    Medicine/cure: use of Knowledge

This is a concept I have came up with to describe my own views and opinions all in one. If the body isn’t well your blood cells does its job by doing what it should do to keep a body going. Now if the illness weakens these blood cells and rules over the body will seize to exist. A cure will be needed to improve the survival odds of the body. Now in the same sense the body is the country as to the blood cells being the people. Now replace the key words in the sentence with the opposite words given above in my example. I hope that I have intrigued you all with some useful information and if you did not agree then I do not mind talking about this subject.

Thank you for your time CNN.

January 5, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. Tlc

Anna, I believe senator Obama can bring about the change he is advocating as evidenced by the numbers of independent, Republican and first time voters he is bringing to the polls. In that he has managed, thus far to bring together so many different sub-groups under his cause I don't see why he would stop using a tactic that works to effect beneficial changes when he wins.

January 5, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  4. Phil

Hmmm. . .,a charismatic speaker who has perfected his tactics to draw enormous crowds into a frenzy of excitement and support, not by ideas, but by a theatrical performance honed to perfection and a dramatic delivery of calculated, soaring, empty rhetoric. It worked before and may again.

January 5, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. Karen

To Betty

I'm a Brit who has good friends in the US and I have travelled much throughout the US. It's been fantastic to watch the response Obama has been getting – it is wonderful for those outside the US who have despaired at how much ground the US has lost in the world, to see a predominantly white state vote for an African American man. Whether or not he does get the nomination, his speech after the Iowa win was very very inspiring.

However, I have to say that your inaccurate, ignorant and utterly bigotted comments about Obama being a muslim and a communist are disgusting. The man is a Christian who happened to live in a muslim country. Shame on you for your ignorance, it demeans you. As for your assertion that he is a communist – that is so pathetic it is not worth a response.

January 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  6. Victoria

Hey Betty:
    You stated the following:
    January 5, 2008 1:33 pm ET
    "A vote for Obama is a vote for terror and communism in america. He is a muslim and not a born American.,"

YOUR DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!
    HE'S A CHRISTIAN NOT A MUSLIM!, AND IT "SHOULDN'T" MATTER WHAT RELIGITION HE IS, RIGHT?

Are you an American? I suggest you actually read up on him instead of listening AND actually believing those PROPAGANDA ADS you see on tv. Get off you butt and read some facts about the candidates, instead of spreading rumors and 'FALSE TRUTHS". And If you actually READ you should have seen the BIO's on all the Candidates...here's Obama's

"Barack Obama was born in Hawaii on August 4th, 1961. His father, Barack Obama Sr., was born and raised in a small village in Kenya, where he grew up herding goats with his own father, who was a domestic servant to the British.

Barack's mother, Ann Dunham, grew up in small-town Kansas. Her father worked on oil rigs during the Depression, and then signed up for World War II after Pearl Harbor, where he marched across Europe in Patton's army. Her mother went to work on a bomber assembly line, and after the war, they studied on the G.I. Bill, bought a house through the Federal Housing Program, and moved west to Hawaii.

It was there, at the University of Hawaii, where Barack's parents met. His mother was a student there, and his father had won a scholarship that allowed him to leave Kenya and pursue his dreams in America."

So you see Betty, your way off and you should check your facts. Stop listening to those negative ads. When I see one...I mark that candidate off my list. If you can't get by on your own merits, you shouldn't knock down or make up stories of your opponents. I want someone who actually has a consions and can't afford to blow millions on ads! Do you think maybe you should "retract" your false accusations?

I'm an undecided Independent in N.H. and the only people I saw today were two campaign workers for OBAMA at my door. It was nice to see SOMEONE come by my neck of the woods. Whether I vote for him or not, I RESPECT him and his efforts to see change finally come to America. God knows we kneed it!

January 5, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  7. GG, Frisco, Texas

If some of you would go on BarackObama.com you will see pictures showing alot of American standing in the cold waiting for the event and bumper to bumper of traffic of cars that drove to the event. It's not like he held a gun to their heads to make them appear at this event. He's fresh and he has new ideas which we all need to start thinking outside of the box because we haven't had something like this for this country in a long time. We have to be able to change with time because if we don't we won't be able to grow.

I noticed when Obama won the Iowa caucus he didn't have celebrities on the stage with him. He probably know more celebrities than the others do but it wasn't about credentials it's about us. Theses are sad times right now and we need to come together and stop this division and hate......sad on us.

Common sense take us a long.......way in life.

January 5, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. Mark

I am a 54-year old former independent voter who has changed my party affiliation to Democrat to vote for Barack Obama in the Arizona primary! Brack's Iowa speech was the greatest political speech I have heard in my life! What is wrong with being inspired by a great leader to CHANGE America BACK into the greatest nation in the world! We have huge problems in this nation due to the last seven years of the worse President in the history of the United States! It will take all of us to undo the Bush legacy of lies, endless war, and a huge mountain of debt! I have waited 54 years to be inspired by a leader of this once-great nation! Obama is the REAL DEAL! I am actually upset that some of the posters on this blog are comparing this man to the Anti-Christ, Hitler, or a Muslim! Come on, are you actually as dumb as your comments?

January 5, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  9. Esmeralda

"Betty" – What a sad sad comment. Shame on you. Shame on you.

Whether or not you approve of a fellow American's political views – To state that an individual running for the highest office of this country (which by the way only "born" Americans can do) will bring anything of any sorts to the country because of his name or family background is anything but the American spirit or the American law.

Read your Constitution. Know what the founders believed in and what so many Americans before you have fought for - and why soldiers are sent out to die even today. You not only attack the intelligence of this country, you also attack the faith of Muslims. It is people like you that spread hate, violence, prejudice and despair.

May pity people such as you be shamed.You are a disgrace.

January 5, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  10. Mike

Hi..

Open your eyes and brain. Obama is a flip-flop. He said he gained foreign experience when he had lived in Indonesia at 6-10 years old. Commons...how can you know everything when you are six years old. All of politicians are a liar and so does he. Nice guys don't lie just because he want to sit on WH. All of them didn't tell a truth but the main point we need is the experiences one!

January 5, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  11. Bob

The party is over Obama. This one and the rest belongs to Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton is most qualified for the job as president.

January 5, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  12. Robert Allen, Dallas, TX

Obama campaigning on a theme of "Change" is a joke being played on the electorate. He's never changed a thing, except what he said in stump speeches. He's also never changed the way he avoids taking a stand on any issue that might prove to be controversial. He avoids that by not voting – in Illinois and now in the U.
    S. Senate. Almost every single vote he has cast in Illinois or Washington has been – "Present, not voting."

Yep, that's change for sure. Obama, back to the future of American politics. He stands for what he believes will get him elected. He's full of change.

Bob

January 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  13. Coy

Wow...there are clearly too many cynics in the world. Honestly, can any of you Obama naysayers actually say that his speech, after the Iowa Caucus, was anything but brilliant!? When he spoke, "they said it would never happen...", it sent chills up my spine. Not because I am African-American, because he words related to ALL people! Obama symbolizes change in a way that no other canidate has or could ever embody. Before January 3, 2008, I believed that America would never vote for an African-American...I believe now. I ask this of all you Obama naysayers, What do you want for the next 4 years?
    Vote Obama in 08'

January 5, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  14. Another Steve

A great President isn't going to come to the White House with some plan of attack on every issue and say this is how it is. That was Bush and his cronies. This will only polarize the country. Exactly what Hillary will do as well. In Obama we have the chance to elect what maybe one of the most motivational speakers we have had in a long time. He motivates with postive attitude. That is the message. Not what plan of attack he will pursue as that will be worked out between him and congress as they decide the policies and implement laws in this country. His views are on his website, he doesn't need to waste our time talking about specifics on issues. What he is, is the agent to motivate us to change. That is what a great President could do for this country and I'm sorry, but Hillary falls way short of that. On a side note. Every great President needs a side kick. Even an idiot like Bush had Cheney his attack dog. Obama would do well to choose someone like Edwards to watch his back.

January 5, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  15. Teddy, ND, IN

Obama '08 ... He will defeat any republican

January 5, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  16. Pat D

What has Obama ever accomplished people? Tell us right here and now. Yeah, he gives warm, fuzzy political stump speeches that "energize" people – whatever that means. What has he proven he can actually do to be even considered for the highest office in the land? Talk is so cheap. Why has this process become such a popularity contest to so many?

January 5, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. kate

I am a 50 year old life long Democrat who has actively manned phones , worked campaigns and gone door to door in my heavily Republican area to get the Democratic nominees elected.
    I have faced verbal abuse and threats and had doors slammed in my face.
    If either Obama or Clinton gets the nomination I will register as an Independent and may not vote for the Presidential candidate at all except to write in JOHN EDWARDS!

January 5, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. Boyd, Wylie TX

Voting your fears is what got us GWB for 8 years. The first time I heard Obama speak I felt this country finally would have the chance to get a President that would really work for all Americans, not just the wealthy. I love his message, he is a positive and intelligent man which for those two qualities alone will make him a better leader of this country.

Also, I have had enough of a leader who thinks everyone should live his version of conservative values. What the conservatives miss is that progressives and liberals don't force their values on conservatives they just want to the right to pursue happines as was outlined in the Declaration of Independence. While conservatives desire greatly to legislate their morality for everyone. This is what divides our country.

January 5, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  19. B. J

As Mrs. Edwards has once said, Hillary has been the recipient of unjustify hatred. I really would like to know the reason why so many people don't like the Clintons. They are so educated. They have done a good job raising Chelsea. And the economy was good during the Clinton'Administration. And to tell you the thruth, in my opinion, they are the people person. Well qualified to be the president of the United States.

January 5, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  20. Michael F. Schaeffer

Obama's speech was among the most electrifying political messages I have heard in my 40 years. Prediction: Obama will take New York in the February primary.

Michael Schaeffer
    Troy, NY

January 5, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  21. cbday

Obama inspires, has good judgement, can draw in youth like no one since JKF.
    Obama has shown forsight before and during this election. Clinton has not.
    Obama has better advisors and a better team than Clinton – what did "experience" gain her there? This indicates to me that Obama knows how to judge issues and people much better than Clinton.

I would like to see an Obama and Biden ticket.

January 5, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  22. Teresa, Kansas

Jeremy:

You are terribly mistaken in your understanding and belief that Obama has "no real achievements."

Here are just a few:

Fresh out of college:
    1. Organized and improved lower income housing conditions in Chicago.
    2. Organized and improved job training programs and job banks in Chicago

THEN:

Attended Harvard Law School and became the President of the Harvard Law Review [this is HUGE]

THEN:
    Turned down offers to make big bucks as a Harvard Law Grad, so that he could continue improving the lives of those often forgotten in America.

THEN:
    At the encouragement of those aware of his ACCOMPLISHMENTS, ran and won state senator.

THEN:
    As we know, became the U.S. Illinois Senator

THEN:
    Ran circles around Hilary at the Iowa caucus!

Yep...he has accomplished quite a bit.

January 5, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  23. E.L.L. Tracy

If Obama wins, and I HOPE he does, history would paint some humor to a story that a man whose first name sounds like Iraq, and last name like Osama (Bin Laden) would put an end to the Iraq war and finally settle the score with Osama. Sometimes destiny has a subtle touch of humor. OBAMA FOR 08!

January 5, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  24. Karl-Heinz Knapp

I am german and I am going after the pre elections in the usa with big interest.
    When reading Obama is told to become a second Martin Luther King,having success and getting in touch with the hearts of an american people`s majority,I am very afraid : I fear the ultra conservative reaction,the answer of racism,i am afraid of Obama himself.I hope he will have a lot of security during the elections.
    Hope,nobody will shoot him ! God bless him !
    KH,Karlsruhe,Germany

January 5, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  25. Liam

Hillary keep repeating that she is the one that can bring about change because she has worked hard at it for more than thirty years. Here is my question: If you have not been able to bring about change in over thirty years on the job, doesn't that mean that you are not able to get it done. You had eight years in the White House with Bill and you did not get it done then, and your screw up set back Health Care reform by about twenty years.

Sorry Hillary,

You are not entitled to take a thirty year mulligan.

Time to step aside, and let someone else take over.

January 5, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |