January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. roger, conway sc

Good decision the general election is not until November 2008 and fair is fair if these guys want to run for president as an American citizen they should have that right and being excluded because of their poll status is ridiculous or how they done in the Iowa cacus. Has anyone ever thought of how unAmerican it is to treat a candidate like this and how silly it is to allow Iowa, NH, & SC to choose our presidents...& dont tell me it is all about grass roots, I can make my decision on a candidate without meeting the individual face to face. It is all about the $$$ & the media.

January 5, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. Pippen, Arlington VA

The latest Rasmussen poll for New Hampshire shows Ron Paul polling ahead of Huckabee. He is also polling ahead of Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson COMBINED! Yet Dr. Paul is excluded from the New Hampshire debate and all three of those other guys are in. FoxNews is shameless!

Realistically it probably just helps Paul... but it's still messed up.

January 5, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. Lorenz, Queens, NY

NH poll

Republicans
    McCain 31 (+4 vs. 12/18)
    Romney 26 (-5)
    Paul 14 (+7)
    Huckabee 11 (nc)
    Giuliani 8 (-5)
    Thompson 5 (+2)

Enough said.

January 5, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Josh Hartman, Folsom CA

This debate has now officially been de-legitimized. Good job Fox. Fair and balanced, right?

January 5, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. M.V.S.

I am pleasantly surprised. I don't watch the "FIXED NEWS NETWORK" but I do vote Republican a lot of the time in spite of the close ties of the Republican Party with Fixed News Network.

Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be allowed to participate.

January 5, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  6. Suzanne McHenry

I feel this is justified by the GOP to pull out of the debate as FOXNEWS excluded Ron Paul whom beat Rudy in Iowa.

I think CNN has just found a new viewer me :) I expect Foxnews ratings to go down the hill now, and they have themselves to blame for it...I like Lou Dobbs more so anyhows;)

Ron Paul is a constutionalist and it might scare some who want to aviod the hard truths to what is going on in the USA and the World..

Yours Sincerely

A Ron Paul supporter !!

January 5, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Gloria in Encinitas, CA.

I, and I imagine many other conservative, honest viewers are very disappointed to learn that FOX has disqualified these two men from their viewers' observation of them during the upcoming debate. Particularly should Ron Paul have an opportunity to express his views...

January 5, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  8. Ryan, Overland Park, KS

Yeah, Rasmussen is showing Ron Paul in 3rd in New Hampshire and 86% of those voting for him are absolutely sure of their choice...much less so for the other candidates. Fox "News" Channel is a joke. CNN is not perfect by any means, but they've become my choice when it comes to MSM outlets. Way to go NH GOP! Also, Duncan Hunter needs to bow out. While he's in, he should be allowed to debate but he needs to get real.

January 5, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  9. A.K.

I couldn't figure out how Giuliani could participate in the debates and Ron Paul could not. I was wondering how Fraud News could possibly justify not letting Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter participate.

Everybody knows Fox (Fraud News) is biased toward Republicans and only feed their viewers news they choose but I didn't think even Fraud News would have the nerve to block Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter.

I applaud the New Hampshire Republican Party.

January 5, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. Dawn

Bravo to the NH GOP! I respect a committee to fight for fair and balanced! Unlike Faux News!

January 5, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. Juli An

AWESOME! FINALLY SOMEONE IS STANDING UP TO THE MEDIA!
    After we get out of this war, regain the respect throughout the world and start fixing some of the problems in America – the Media has got to be addressed. The Media has been Manipulating the Election Process from the beginning. They are the onces that have chosen the top 3 candidates in each party by dominating their websites, news broadcasts, etc. with their choices of President. We need to stand up to the media which is corrupt. We have the right to vote and we have the right to hear and see every candidate to make up our own mind. The boycotting of any candidate in a debate is a slap in the face of democracy!

January 5, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  12. jeremy, las vegas

Kudo's to the New Hampshire GOP for pulling their support. Ron Paul was right in saying last week that FOX news were propagandists for this war. As the only Republican Candidate that does not support the war and given his support and fundraising, to not include him is a true travesty for the voters of America.

Let us not forget CNN's refusal to show Ron Paul and his 10% in their pie chart during their coverage of the Iowa Caucus. If while covering New Hampshire's primary they show more than four candidates in the same pie chart they too will be exposed as having alterior motives.

January 5, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. FreedomWon

Many thanks to the NH GOP for making this decision. Many of us have been watching with growing alarm how the Media is subverting and undermining the ability for American voters to obtain acurate information in our election process.
    This will expose the insidious censorship that is destroying our basic human right to free speech in this country.
    What is most disturbing is that we have a corporate media that can state a presidential candidate cannot win before any vote is taken.
    I challenge all citizens to examine this decision carefully.
    Thank God that information is still free and available through the internet.
    The significance of the NH GOP's statement is a monumental uncovering of how the American people are not given fair and acurate reporting.
    Follow the money and you will see how entrenched the media is with our goverment.
    The real story here is that the mainstream media has not just stated that certain candidates "Cannot win" but rather. "We won't let them win"
    Kudos to NHGOP for the courage to do what is right!

January 5, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  14. Independant, NH

As an independent, I give ALL presidentail candidates serious consideration and never base my vote solely on those who I think can win. I think those who do are allowing the media to choose our president and the direction of our country. I would like to hear from all candidates one last time before I decide who to vote for. I am not sure if I will vote for Ron Paul, however he is a serious candidate in the north east in my opinion and I strongly disagree with fox news decision to exclude him and others from the debates. We can only hope that they won’t filter the internet next.

January 5, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  15. Juli An

AWESOME! FINALLY SOMEONE IS STANDING UP TO THE MEDIA!

After we get out of this war, regain the respect throughout the world and start fixing some of the problems in America – the Media has got to be addressed. The Media has been Manipulating the Election Process from the beginning. They are the onces that have chosen the top 3 candidates in each party by dominating their websites, news broadcasts, etc. with their choices for President. We need to stand up to the media which is corrupt. We have the right to vote and we have the right to hear and see every candidate to make up our own mind. The boycotting any candidates in a debate is a slap in the face of democracy!

January 5, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. Juli An

Notice that this article is HIDDEN! Shame on CNN – This IS news!

January 5, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Roy, Merrimack, NH

I'm an Undeclared voter who will be participating in the Democratic primary. But, I have to take my hat off to the state Republican party for a courageous move to stand up for fair play. I was similarly impressed with Clinton, Obama, and Richardson also advocating opening up tonight's Democratic debate (Edwards was a notable exception).

The media has enough influence over our campaigns already. Letting them choose the participants is simply going too far.

January 5, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. Rick

Bravo NH GOP!!

Way to go!

January 5, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Oscar DeGrouch

Bravo to Fergus Cullen, Bravo to the NH GOP and to New Hampshire Republicans. Let Fox News learn what TRUE patriotism is.

And so it begins!

January 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. Lisa Salt Lake City UT

Thank You! We want to hear all the voices – not just the ones with money.

January 5, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. L.Step

A rather trivial note, but of some interest. My sister-in-law, who had been a bit doubtful about voting for Paul. The media had told her that he hadn't a chance. But when she found out that FOX NEWS had not invited Ron Paul to their selective "debate" - she became angry and - that did it. She now supports Paul. Saved me a bit of debate with my Sister-in-law! Thanks Fox!

January 5, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. Israel, Denver, CO

Fairly Unbalanced.

January 5, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  23. David

the NH GOP have rly stepped up against censorship. It's time for fair elections to return to the US.

January 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  24. John

Fox has been too blatant about it this time. They have angered a LOT of people- Democrat, Republican, and independent. A candidate with so much popular support, who consistently wins online polls, who set the record for single-day fun-raising ($6 million), and defeated Rudy Giuliani in Iowa, CLEARLY deserves to be included in any forum/debate of the candidates. There is a boycott underway of Fox and it's sponsors. Shareholders are selling their News Corp. (Fox) shares at a loss, and they're being inundated with phone and email complaints. They need to understand that the people don't want to be told who to vote for.

January 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  25. Althusius

Inasmuch as Fox News is fair and balanced, I am sure Chris Wallace, Scooter Libby and Bill Kristol will get together and figure this out.

January 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |