January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. James Junkins

I was alway under the assumption that the medias job was to report facts and let people make up their own minds. It was ignorant of me to not realize that corruption has creeped into every facet of american life, including the media. The media is the largest marketing machine in the Universe. What will happen to this country if it happens to fall into the wrong hands? Who know what will be peddled for truth on the networks. FOX blatant bias and agenda against Dr. Ron Paul is becoming crystal clear. I hope there's enough partiots left in America to free it from the clutches of corruption. Americans are disgusted with our government, our message will get out.

January 5, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. Melissa Moberg

Freedom of speach if you are well know and well-funded... Hopefully all of the Ron Paul supporters will be able to circulate his name all over the US without the help of the people that cannot take the truth... One man that finally is not sugar coating anything and so many people can't take the truth...

January 5, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. sharon McKiernan

Even if FOX doesn't listen to its comment line, perhaps the GOP does. Congratulations, New Hampshire GOP. Someone with backbone! Go, Ron Paul!! SmcK

January 5, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  4. Adam

It's sad that the chest thumping boys at FOX talk about "spreading democracy" all over the world yet they have no idea what democracy really is, including the latest hypocrisy of excluding Hunter and especially Ron Paul from the debates. I think it's out of fear of Congressman Paul introducing ideas that challenge our pathetic status quo and Hunter is simply caught in the crossfire. Thank you CNN for calling FOX on this.

January 5, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  5. alle

Thank you CNN for recognizing this and reporting it!
    Prior to this, I had decided that I had enough of the news media.
    I have long since been tired of Fox News for their biased reporting.
    All candidates deserve to be heard equally. I was upset when I found out that they would not be airing Ron Paul.
    Good Job New Hampshire!
    It is refreshing to know that someone is standing up to the media, especially to Fox News.
    I went as far with it to decide to boycott their sponsors until they change their ways. That is just Wrong.
    Anyhow, I am glad to hear the good news.

January 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  6. David O'Toole

I am very happy with this response. I feel that Dr. Paul has a very good chance especially as he is becoming more well-known daily. The fact that Fox news would not allow him to participate is simply a maneuver to keep the odd-man out. Dr. Paul does not hold to stereotypical Republican sayings and for that reason he is excluded. I applaud there resigning from this debate.

January 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  7. Leynier

I really hope that the NH GOP boycott will lead to further Newscorp boycotting. I sort of expect this from Faux News. I just hope CNN, ABC, NBC all report on this to gain viewers who subscribe to Fox's censorship machine.

January 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  8. Irron

all the other candidates are supporters of world government and work for the NWO Ron Paul is our only chance to retain our national sovereignty ... the media is also controlled and thats why they boot off anyone who isnt "on the list"

January 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  9. Timothy, Florida

Thank you NH GOP!! Fox's decision of excluding Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter displays their clear bias in the news. If their decision is based on poll numbers wouldn't it make more sense to exclude Rudy and Thompson? This only helps getting out the word about Ron Paul. They don't want to have RP on the forum cause they know they will get a ear full of the real issues facing America. Thank you Wolf and Dou Dobbs for having Ron Paul on your shows!!

January 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. Stacewizer

I am not surprised at Fakes News' fascist approach to infotainment. Murdock is a control freak and has no intention of letting the American people decide for themselves; even though their radio ad says so.
    They lie. When they won the case to edit the story of BGH in milk, we learned that news doesn't have an obligation to tell the truth.
    I suggest that people contact the advertisers and let them know you will boycott them if they sponsor Fox News; or hacks like O'Reilly.

January 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. Meghan

I think leaving paul out of the debate was a huge mistake on foxs part and honestly since when were we ever getting the real news?? We have to be told who to vote for.......I guess the ones in "control" are getting scared that we the people who are sick of putting up with the bs media are sick of being told who to vote for and what to think. We are ready for change and Ron paul brings that.

January 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  12. Dessie

that whole 'fair and balanced' thing...just a fancy slogan. FNC has proved itself for a long time now to be just like the rest...

January 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  13. Migel

Its all about the money if we dont do something this economy will collapse. Other candidates have been lying and speaking on the behalf of others. For exmple McCain spoke on the behalf of the soldiers that "We will win this War" yet what the soldiers really want is out because they found out this is a war on profiteering. The company KVR has doubled its stock since the war started and we dont do anything about it. We need a true politician and he is being silenced from the media and that man is Ron Paul. If you dont no much about him google his name and you will see that his views are the true views of the people.

January 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  14. Brandon

I finally found a Presidental candidate that I believe deserves support, and FOX news has decided that Ron Paul is not worthy of it. FOX news has NO right to decide for the American people which candidates they should be exposed to. Ron Paul is a true American that wants to make a REAL difference in the life of the average citizen; something that I have never seen out of any other candidate. FOX news is supposed to REPORT information to the people of this country, not WITHHOLD it. Do the right thing FOX and give all candidates an EQUAL opportunity.

January 5, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. C.R. Jacobson

Ron Paul will be our next President .

Everyone should just write his name on the ballot in Nov.

Ron Paul is the only candidate that cares for America and all of the LEGAL citizens. Every other candidate wants a global government and is contributing to the demise of the Middle Class American.

What's the difference between the U.S. of A. and every other country? A Middle Class.

Boycott FAUX "news".

January 5, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. Anonymous

(singing voice) i am ashamed to be an american, where the medias owned by three, and the t-v tells me who should win, as they strip my rights from me. and i proudly stand up!!! and flip the bird, to the unjust powers that be.........no seriously...live free or die.

January 5, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. kobe

there is nothing 'fair' nor 'balanced' about ron paul's exclusion from the forum. if only voters in this country knew who ron paul was or what he stood for, and voted for who they thought would best for the job rather than who was most likely to win, would ron paul become president by a landslide. the media has served as nothing but a distraction and a source of sensationalism whereby which only the incompetent and corrupt are rewarded. thanks, Fox.

January 5, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  18. Hayley

Wait so Guiliani is in the debate? Even though he did worse than Paul in Iowa, right? Wow, all canidates should be included period. Fox, you have let me down once again.

January 5, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  19. Irron

Ron Paul is our only chance to remain independent of world government

January 5, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  20. joseph

Well thank you Ron Paul because fox news is republican propanda and economic wing it is too sad they keep saing fair and balanced because they we both know they are not.

January 5, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. Glenn

Great job NH Republicans. I for one, applaud you loudly – the true meaning of democracy is what you have portrayed here. The beauty of the presidential race lies in the fact that *anyone* the people deem worth listening to *can* be president. That's a fundamental aspect of our government.

Fox doesn't report a balanced viewpoint – I am a Republican and don't believe so. Check the facts on what a Republican is – it stems from Federalism. Read up on that and tell me that their version of "Republican" falls in line. If you tow the party line you believe in Communism... not Democracy.

It's sad the media believe they can dictate what and whom I should be interested in (which is what I feel Fox is doing). Give a network half a market share and they'll think they're the center of the universe. Welcome to the new century, I guess. News is what is handed to you, as well as political beliefs now. It's just easier than reading...

January 5, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  22. Janna

I find it ironic that CNN is posing this question after the shameless exclusion of Ron Paul on their 'pie chart' the evening of the Iowa caucus. On the democratic pie chart, Bill Richardson was marked and included with only 2% of the vote, but the republican pie chart had a huge shaded part left unmarked when Ron Paul had 10+%. And if anyone mentioned Ron Paul's name, the subject was immediately turned to Obama or Huckabee. Believe me, I'm no fan of FauxNews, but this story is a little like the pot calling the kettle yellow if you ask me.

January 5, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  23. Ashlie Scott

Wow, I really don't know what to say about Fox not letting Ron Paul participate. I mean, they always bring what America wants to see. I remember when Paris Hilton got realized from jail and it was all over Fox; the pictures, the video of her going home, etc. Such pertinent information that America needed to see. Of course we should exclude presidential hopefuls that are the most American in the whole race. Congratulations, Fox, on showing your true patriotism.

It's always nice to know that our news gives us the whole picture, instead of just a bit so as not to blur the lines.

That being said, I think that this is the dumbest thing Fox has done yet; and they've done a LOT of dumb things.

Can't wait to see Ron Paul in the oval office; I'd love to hear what he thinks of this.

January 5, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  24. David.

I have dumped all my stock that has to do with FOX this is so NOT American.Everyone should Boycott anything that has to do with fox and their affiliates...I AM...Ron Paul is doing better than he is given credit..What is the Media afraid of hearing?? THE TRUTH???

January 5, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. Jason Bruck

Here is the problem. Ron Paul is a legitimate candidate whose time as both passed and come too soon. We are in a cycle of big government from both the left and the right...So much so that people can't picture a government any other way. It is possible that Paul's wisdom about the benefits of small government will be heeded, however, conventional wisdom (and history) suggest that this will not come soon enough. Even if we wanted to we cannot afford to keep going the way were are by spending money we don't take in...That is the real lunacy. As for his exclusion from the debate...fox (and the neoconservative platform) has a perspective that is vulnerable from the "real" right. Ron Paul's candidacy throws that into sharp contrast and highlights for conservatives how nonconservative George W. Bush actually is. This can split the republican base and allow democrats more opportunities to take not just the White House but more of congress as well. Libertarian leaning republicans have previously had no choice but to vote for neocons. With Ron Paul that has changed.

January 5, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |