January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. Anna

Way to go, Fox *thumbs up*. You just put MORE attention on Ron Paul. Don't you think your blacklisting efforts have backfired just a little bit?

Oh, and you suck, by the way.

January 5, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Andy

It is very obvious that Fox feels threatened by the possibility of Ron Paul's ability to be the GOP candidate. This is only to discredit him and not allow him his opportunity to share his ideas and openly share his thoughts on what is going wrong with our country. They know that Ron Paul has a much better chance than what is being mentioned in the media.

Every time it is brought up on Fox about his ability to raise millions in a day and his poll percentages escalating, a Fox commentator will give there opinion on how he will not go the distance and he does not have a chance. As if they are some sort of authority. I was also very disaapointed in George Stephanopoulos same attitude and negative comments about Dr. Paul's potential.

Look, the media is supposed to be paid to report news without bias. Elections, war, politics only causes the media in the US to push forth their own agendas and most of us are stupid enough to believe what we hear on the news.

It is sad that in this country th epowers at be (Fox especially) are trying their best to keep down a man who wants to do really good things for his country and for the world.

January 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Derek

This is a reason that I have a problem with the current election methods. The media promotes the candidates they want so thats all the American people see. Rupert Murdoch and his Businesses i.e. FOX news only want to promote and give air time to the candidates that are going to benefit him and is Monopolies. Ron Paul & Duncan Hunter should be allowed to debate and let the American people finally decide if these candidates are worth their vote. I'm not even a republican but if I was and lived in New Hampshire one of these two men would get my vote.

January 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Cyndy

I am so proud of Chairman Cullen. He has stood up for what is right and American ! Thank you. As far as the station that refers to itself as "Fair and Balanced" News. ( I choke to even type it.) I would consider that false advertising,
    and would love to find a lawyer wiling to sue them for such. Faux is nothing but a disgrace to journalism. The news readers (can't call them reporters) are paid puppets whose mouths move according to the strings pulled. Saddest part of it all, they are too stupid to realize any of this. Personally, I will BOYCOTT any company that makes the bad choice to back Faux in this UNAMERICAN almost
    terrorist act against our election process.
    I agree with Chairman Cullen, equal time for all.

January 5, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Sheila Dean

Hey- this is what political debate in America has become. If you don't like it, make sure it changes.
    If you don't want corporations singling out and choosing for you which news you can watch and who they think "okay" to vote for I would stick with Ron Paul. McCain and the others will let the corporate sociopaths run the US government and choose what kind of life you get to have, and it will suit their bottom line, not your civil rights or the well being of yor families.

January 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. Matthew Corsey, Peachtree City, GA

GREAT DECISION by the NH GOP. It's time somebody stood up for liberty–where better than the "Live Free or Die" state?

January 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. eric in sacramento

fox news is a joke, i watch their channel sometimes just to see how slanted they are, they spin everything and even resort to bold face lies. Ron Paul can change things, thats why i am voting for him, in this age of technology the best ideas will spread and gain support, no matter how much money stands to be made via war.

January 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Pleefer

Fox doesn't give "equal time". That is a nutty notion. I hope this boycott of Fox (and friends) will be sustained.

January 5, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. Nick

Excellent decision. I appreciate the Republican Party of New Hampshire not taking part in a biased operation by Fox News

January 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. Krystine, Victorville CA

I think Fox made the wrong decision. They may lose ratings because they ignored Paul’s attempts to join the debate. I stand strongly behind Paul because I feel he tells the truth. I planned to watch the debate until I herd what happened and I will not tune into fox again I can’t be the only one who feels this way.

January 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  11. Steve

It reminds me of old fords. "You can have any color you want...as long as it's black." Politics seem to be heading in that direction. Yes, let's get "intimate" with all the "top-tier" politicians big business is pushing for. I mean, it's not like they're all saying the same thing anyways. Everyone, no matter how small deserves a chance. That is why it is called DEMOCRACY and not a DICTATORSHIP. Fox is just bitter because RON PAUL is doing well enough to stand a chance if it is given to him.

I applaud the decision of the New Hampshire GOP and I hope many others follow suit. It is unfair to the American public for Fox to exclude them from a decision they are SUPPOSED to make on their own. THAT (and Fox, by proxy) is Anti-American.

January 5, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  12. Ruby

i have been a loyal watcher of Fox news. Not anymore! You are not what you claim to be..FAIR AND BALANCE! That is a joke!
    Excluding 2 viable canadates. Are we in a Hitler dictator country??

You will be seeing your ratings going down because of this I feel sure.

January 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Jonathan Sandoval

This is just another example of how sad America's mainstream media has become. Fox News claims to be fair and balanced, but it would seem to me that the best way to try and show that it was true is give EVERY candidate a fair and balanced chance to be included! they said America has the right to hear from serious candidate, well since when did they become our parent? America has the right to have a chance to hear from EVERY CANDIDATE. I have been watching Fox for years but I will be boycotting it from now on.

January 5, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  14. Michael Baudistel

I find it ridiculous FOX news' slogan is "Fair and Balanced" when time and time again they make an arguement for a name change to "Propagandists and Hypocrites." Excluding Ron Paul from the debates on January 6th is about the least American thing they can do. The fact Connecticut has more independent voters than most states is reason enough to let him in, not to mention the 10% of supporters that he recieved already in Iowa. This doubled the numbers of Rudy Giuliani. Something has to be done to change the way our media handles these elections. I dont want FOX or CNN deciding who is allowed to speak. What gives the media the right to influence the American people?

January 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. Larry

I'm not at all surprised by Fox News excluding Ron Paul from their debate Sunday night, the media has been telling the "sheeple" who to vote for, for months now. We supposably fight for free and fair elections around the world, I wish the hell we could have 'em here.

January 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. bendy1333

FOX claimed they were excluding Paul because of his low polling numbers. Seeing as how Paul whooped Giuliani in Iowa leaving him out is nothing short of censorship. I have lost all respect for FOX News, but God bless the GOP in New Hampshire for not putting up with tyranny of the Fascist News Network!

January 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Lily Angiolini

The exclusion is clearly an attempt to keep strong viable Candidates from being heard and shows how much influence the current administration has on the mainstream media.

Very honorable for the Republican Party to withdraw it's sponsorship!

The lack of coverage for Ron Paul seems to be his ONLY handicap! I am excited to see how he fares in the rest of the states.

Counting the days until I can show him my support here in Michigan!

January 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  18. Andy

Also, I only registered Republican to vote for Ron Paul in the 1st place! I will not vote for Huckabee, McCain, Romney or McCain under any circumstance.

January 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  19. Beth

It is no surprise that Fox News would want to exclude these two from the debates. Especially Ron Paul.

Fox News is not interested in what is fair, they are not concerned with upholding democracy, and they care not at all for a little thing called the First Amendment.

No doubt, the questions for the candidates on the Fox News debate will be nothing but an attempt to distract the public from the real issues anyway (our flawed foreign policy, our weak dollar, our fading Civil Liberties).

If you want unbiased, fair reporting, and if you want to know what's really going on you cannot rely on any one news channel, newspaper, radio station or magazine. Check and recheck the facts, then turn to the internet (which is in danger of being regulated) and research some more.

Ron Paul stands for Liberty, a thing Americans cannot afford to take for granted.

January 5, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  20. The Chad

Good for them!! Too bad they can't withdraw in protest from CNN, who pulled Larry King's interview with Ron Paul.
    The Media and the Parties don't want him in the race, he means the end of their racket. Lets restore freedom and the principles this country is based on. Ron Paul FTW

January 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  21. Justin Morgan

Is anyone really surprised by this? FAUX news has always been extremely biased against Ron Paul ever since their first debate when Ron Paul started to convey his ideas for the future of America, which is clearly against the agenda FAUX News has been promoting for the past eight years.

January 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. Joshua P.

This is important. We can't let Fox news dictate who is a candidate because of differences in opinion on the War. And don't fool yourself, this is about Ron Paul's opposition to the war.

The facts are though, Gouliani spent more in Iowa than Paul and Paul got 3 times the votes.

He deserves his place.

January 5, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  23. patrick

Boycott FOX! Newscorp took a loss of 3 billion!!! Repaulicans giveth, and repaulicans taketh away! Go ahead, keep messin with us!

Ron Paul will win just like he won the Straw Polls: HANDS DOWN!

No matter how hard you try you can't stop us now!

January 5, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  24. Buck Shaw

I have been a republican for most of my voting life as well as a Fox news viewer and listener- I will no longer watch listen to or support Fox news. They are manipulating the media and trying to influence an election. Nothing could be more un American!

Shame on Fox News and Rupert Murdoch- You have lost my eyes, ears and advertising dollars!

If this irks you on principal alone ( regardless of your opinion of Dr Pauls views) you should e mail fox news and tell them you will no longer support their brand of propaganda. Fair and balanced? What a Joke. I am an educated viewer and consumer and you should be too!

Let your voice be heard!

January 5, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  25. fairinheight511

Too bad it takes something like this to make people question Faux news – wake up! They are the media wing of the New World Order! I mean it was on in my bank today, and Cavuto was arguing with a panel of yes-men that Obama's and Huckabee's populist message was bad for capitalism, since it's good for the middle class. Gimme a GD break! Oh, and $100 per barrel oil is the Dems fault, also, according to Fix.

I recommend the film Outfoxed to anyone who wants to see what really happened at fox. – it was a real news outlet at one time. Newshounds is a good site for detailing Fox lies and distortions. See also FAIR.org and mediamatters.org . But hey, if you want to keep hearing Australian billionaires tell you what to think, by all means.

Ron Paul would be an excellent candidate if he didn't want to do away with most all government, not just bad government (Fed, IRS) and if he respected medical decisions as liberty – so ironic he doesn't as a doctor and a libertarian.

January 5, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |