January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. woody

I believe this will backfire on fox!

January 5, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. Ricky

I think this was a stupid decision. This just goes to show you that along with the media, the parties decide waaay before who THEY want to win, instead of the people. So what if the general election isn't until November?! There's a reason that we have caucuses and primaries. Regardless of how low in numbers the Paul and Hunter supporters are, there is still that chance. By this decision, these two candidates don't get the limelight they rightfully deserve and obviously, have earned. Millions of people fork out their money to these candidates and never get to see it in use or get the worth of their support. The GOP and Fox News should be ashamed of their decision and their way to choose THEIR candidate.

January 5, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  3. Fox is evil

Fox is the WAR CHANNEL. nuff said.

January 5, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  4. allotabass

Fair and balanced is just a slogan.....it's not a way to promote good judgement in journalism by reporting on issues that best suit the company's agenda.

By not allowing Hunter and Paul participate, Fox has alienated itself from it's core based audience and sold it's 'soul' ;not for ratings, but for partisanship and corporate shilling.
    Shameful.

January 5, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  5. dee

i would expect as much from fox news. fair and what?

January 5, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  6. H.

Fox News is un-American, unfair and unbalanced.
    Dr. Ron Paul should be allowed to participate. And after given the go ahead, he should snub them. They've made it clear that he's their enemy and vice versa.

January 5, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. Gary

Good for the NH GOP!
    As for me, it’s simple. I’ll just delete any channel that has the FOX logo from my TV. They wont be missed.
    rEVOLution!

January 5, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  8. Lisa Jenkins

Unbelievable! I feel Dr. Paul has significant support and should be included in the debate. My opinion of Fox news has changed. I am ashamed of them!

January 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  9. Nick

If FOX taking bribes to not air investigative reports (for example, the Monsanto Milk story) wasn't enough to turn me off, this has certainly done the trick.

From here on out, my family has agreed to not invest our money in the companies that advertise with FOX or watch their news. Further, we don't see films made or distributed by companies owned by Rupert Murdoch. The Wallstreet Journal and MySpace have been spared – for now. But if I see anything advertised in them, I don't buy it.

I'm very disappointed and outraged with this corporation. I urge anyone reading this forum spend some free time researching FOX News and Murdoch himself. I guarantee you won't enjoy what you find.

Best of luck to all the candidates, with particular well-wishes for Dr. Paul.

January 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  10. Raymond

First, bravo to the NH GOP! I sincerely hope they stick to their guns on this issue.

Next, the first thing that comes to mind when reading this is “Free and Fair elections.” I really hate to criticize other networks because I just do not see how it is practical; on the other hand reading this nonsense is truly disappointing. Everyone knows that Fox News is a sham. When they do something like this, one can only ask what happened to the “Fair.” If Fox has decided to endorse Giuliani then that is their prerogative. All I ask is that they allow all the candidates that are running to be given equal opportunity to compete; this is paramount.

I have not chosen my candidate yet; however, when I look at someone like Hunter or Paul, even though they might not seem electable to the masses, who is Fox to decide that. A candidate becomes "not electable" when he or she stops running. I just got discharged from the Navy and also just got accepted to a prestigious university in Massachusetts too; I am both anxious and eager. I really have no idea why I am writing this to you guys, and no I am not fishing for any compliments either huh. I want people to know that our generation, my generation, is a generation that is aware and will get involved. People like me, with the right moral compass, are going to eventually take on big corporations like Fox with open arms.
    -Cheers

January 5, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  11. Kieran

I would have been just as outraged if it was any other candidate that was being excluded from the Fox Debate. It is a SAD SAD day in America that it has come to this! This is truly un-American. It is disgusting and unforgivable! We the people must take the nation back. The day the start to silence the peoples' will we have lost... Unfortunately, that time has already come.

January 5, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  12. Jennifer

The decision of the NH Republican party to withdraw was an excellent one. The beauty of America is that anyone can hope to one day become president. By excluding candidates from the debate, FOX media is not allowing all information to be fairly reported and available. Luckily, the internet and other sources of information allow the public to now avoid the bias that is blatantly obvious in the decision being made by FOX.

January 5, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  13. Mike Costantini

I fully support the NH GOP for withdrawing as a partner of this debate. I wouldn't want my business associated with Fox "News" either. Excluding Paul whose supporters raised $20 million dollars on an average donation ranging from $50-$100 was the last straw. Rupert Murdoch must be stopped. A full on boycott is happening now and investors are being encouraged to sell Newscorp (NWS) stock in a hurry as it continues to fall.. We're a nation of individuals who all want to be free and have our personal liberties restored. No media corporation is going to dictate the will of over 300 million people. We're going back to the old ways of spreading the word about what's going on, before there was a mass media. It ends now!

January 5, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  14. Steven Perrot

Bravo GOP. There may be some hope for our system yet, just maybe.

January 5, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  15. Kerry

I think the New Hampshire Republican Party did the right thing. Excluding these candidates is not only unfair, it should outrage every American no matter who they support. I think it will ultimately come back to haunt Fox News, because the truth is now known that they do not want the message of these candidate to be heard. They are trying to infuence the outcome of the election.

January 5, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  16. Julian Campolo

Having not considered myself a conservative prior to learning about Ron Paul (now I'm getting ready to send $$ a third time , I have always known that Faux Noise was slimy and criminally dishonest.

At least now more party conservatives are catching on to the kind of b.s. their own network has been doing to them for years. Sometimes evolution is a sloooooow process.

Faux Noise has just officially designated itself a special interest group.

January 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  17. Peter

The other candidates should not be participating in this farce. It has nothing to do with Ron Paul's success and everything to do with his is anti-war stances.

January 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  18. Ken

Whatever happened to "We report, you decide" and "fair and balanced" with Fox News?

Fair and Balanced??? Yeah, right.

There is NO reason to exclude Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter if they truly wanted to report ALL viewpoints in this race. Fox is extremely biased in favor of a couple of the leading candidates.

Ron Paul, especially, is polling high in New Hampshire. In Iowa he beat Guiliani ten to one while taking a whopping 29% of "independent" Republican votes! There is absolutely NO reason to exclude Ron Paul – unless they are afraid of him and his message.

I'll stick to CNN for my news, thanks!

January 5, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  19. cbday

Fox outfoxed itself on this one. Will have a counter-intent effect of rightfully elevating Ron Paul, especially over Rudi G. Paul has been consistent in his defense of the constitution. Fox News is consistent in its assistance to those who want to trash our constitution. Fox News has no choice but to exclude the candidate who is anathma to its very damagng (for this country) actions.

January 5, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  20. Migi, MA

It really does upset me how FOX News is excluding Ron Paul out of their NH Debate because it doesn't meet THEIR criteria of a Republican Candidate. If this is my decision and the decision of the American people why are they choosing who should be up there on the podium? And that comment about there not being enough space, they knew ahead of time who was going to be where so they should made space a priority. I see now where their priority is, THEIRS. Shame on them for being so bias.

January 5, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  21. Patrick Brooks

I think the reason Dr. Paul is being excluded is obvious: large corporations and special interests (in this case News Corp; Rupert Murdoch, owner) has a vested interest in keeping the status quo. As such, a person like Ron Paul, who does not tolerate the corruption propagated by special interests, is no favorite of the corporately owned media. Why would someone who has a lot to lose if Dr. Paul is elected allow him to appear on his station?

This is an awful display of the democratic process. Indeed, the fact that the will of a billionaire determines who can, and cannot, participate in an event designed to inform the people is a disgrace.

January 5, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  22. Scott Lawry

A travesty....it shows the slant (even of "conservatives") against Paul. Nothing can stop him....b/c his campaign is about more than him...it is the MESSAGE. Debate or not...the MESSAGE will stand. GO RON GO!

January 5, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  23. To all the thinking voters out there

The media despises him, the other candidates dislike him, and the analysts and political heavyweights discount him. If I am a thinking man, and I am, I would think for a minute and ask myself, why does this man receive so much disdain and hardship? Because he is a real threat to the system that’s why. He dares to think differently, he promises to bring major changes to this country that a lot of people do not want to see. He is a rogue politician in the eyes of the Republicans and the Democrats that will not embrace the good old boy administration mentality. He truly desires change for the betterment of our nation and he has a track record to show his serious intent to implement those changes if elected. Simply put. I am tired of oversized government that we do not need, tired of giving half of my hard earned salary to a fat government that seeks to police the world at the expense of our military's blood and our tax dollars. Vote for the man that everyone is clearly going out of his or her way to block, discredit, erase from this election and watch what happens!

January 5, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  24. mike

Just teach your children that Cable and T.V. news is a joke...and that paper ballots are the only fair way to have an election...not Diebold machines!

January 5, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |