January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. Ryan D, San Francisco, CA

If there is was still any debate as to whether Fox News is "Fair and Balanced", then this blatant attempt to censor political views they disagree with should end it.
    Kudos to the New Hampshire Republican Party for putting their foot down on this issue.

January 5, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  2. mike

DON'T FORGET CNN's Coverage of Iowa where they left Dr. Paul off the canidate's "pie" during their hours of coverage...yet they include richardson with only 2%... pathetic coverage

January 5, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  3. Cheyenne

Faux News is biased against Republicans, especially Ron Paul. How are Americans able to vote on a candidate if they don't even have enough knowledge about each one. Faux just wants this to be a democratic election, which is why they give Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama the most coverage. BIASED! Be fair. Ron Paul Revolution(:

January 5, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  4. Chris

I am asking all voting citizens of the U.S.A. to Boycot Fox Broacasting. Not just Fox News, but Fox everything. This has to be the most Anti-American thing that has happened since our country was founded.

Chris Boyd
    U.S. Army Veteran
    Springfield, Mo.

January 5, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. Dave Yost

I will no longer watch FOX news, although I've always known that they do not support Ron Paul, they have shown that they are afraid of allowing him a fair shake. He IS the ONLY real Republican. If anyone actually takes the time to hear what he stands for, they'll agree. I am proud to be a Christian, but I value the freedom guaranteed in the constitution, and anyone who really wants Fair and Balanced, that's not Fox's message anymore.

January 5, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  6. Matthew

Congrats to the New Hampshire Republicans for following through and ditching Faux News! It's time the candidates got equal time, and the people got to choose instead of being told who's a "valid candidate"!

January 5, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. Ed

I don't see why you would leave some of the candidates out, I mean maybe if the stage was to small they wouldn't have enough room. Then again something as stupid as that doesn't happen in todays world. So make some room and get those men on stage Duh

January 5, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  8. Evan

When the spokesperson for Fox News was interviewed with why Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter were excluded, he would just beat around the bush, giving no specific reason for the exclusion.

VOTE RON PAUL!!
    Evan

January 5, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. Mom of many, wifey of one

Remind me...isn't this supposed to be an election BY THE PEOPLE not the media. I think (the forbidden news network) is not being an equal opportunity employer. They are discriminating. Their stock is dropping as well as their rates. Let them do what they do. We, as consumers, have a choice to boycott their station and sponsors. Afterall, we live in America and we have freedom, don't we. Unless you are Ron Paul and you get ZERO publicity and descriminated from all online poll reporting. NEWSFLASH-his supporters are information age savvy, cell phone users and first time voters. We won't be leading in phone polls.

RON PAUL 2008!

January 5, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  10. Michael

If they had come out and been honest about their reasons for excluding Paul ("He doesn't fit our agenda" or whatever the real reason may be) then fine. But saying, "we don't have room at the table" and "he has no chance to win" are completely bogus. It's true, he's a long shot, but at this point I think he realistically has a better shot than Giuliani. He also polled ahead of Huckabee for a while as well as McCain at one point.

January 5, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  11. ebreen

I dnn't care if the decision is made by Fox, the league of Women Voters or Nancy Reagan, its outrageous that Ron Paul is not included in the debate. He got 9% of the vote in IOWA, he has been successful at raising money and showing strong nationwide support, his polling in NH is well documented on these pages. Its just wrong not to include him. The NH party did the right thing. I won't watch, and I have not been an RP supporter...I might reconsider him now though.

January 5, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  12. Eric from TX

Fox exclusion of Ron Paul, WEAK.

January 5, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  13. Jim

This is the way our country is supposed to b run. Fox news has for a long time desenfranchised memebers of the Republican voters, and this time they've put the nail in their own coffin. Its out in the open for all of us to see: Fox News corrupts and censors American's rights to a free press and our freedom of information.

This MIGHT be forgiven, only if they invite Paul to the debate. But to be certain, it will NEVER be forgotten.

January 5, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  14. Lance

Free Press is not a power, but moreso a responsibility to the public. I have supported Ron Paul for this last year and I would very much like to hear his views expressed, especially against the other republican candidates. His views may be extreme to some, but you cannot deny that his opinions test the true strength of other republican candidates standpoints. If they are too afraid to include him in this forum then it shows there are possible flaws in their campain and that Ron Paul can be the one person to pick them apart. The true meaning of a debate in my opinion is to express new ideas and solutions and be able to back them up. Ron Paul is one of the only candidates I see supporting the Constitution. I served 8 years active duty Air Force and I swore to uphold the Constitution. I hold myself to that oath and I post here today in the belief that I did not waste 8 years of my life defending something that no longer exists or some people feel is no longer applicable. Allow Ron Paul to debate because it is American and denying someone the freedom of speech and freedom of press only strengthens Ron Pauls argument in many ways. Fox should change the slogan from "You Decide 2008" to "Fox will decide for you 2008". Enough said.

January 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. John

For candidates that start with ~0% name recognition in all of states, these debates are crucial. Even though Americans should be the ones electing their leaders, Fox decides to censor particular candidates in early debates and deny the public of a fair representation of the choices. Ron Paul made less trips to Iowa than Giuliani, more than doubled Giuliani in Iowa votes, and was only 3% away from tieing Thompson and McCain for 3rd place; even so Fox believes Paul should stay at home and Giuliani attend.

January 5, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  16. Cathy Goguen, KY

It is certainly no more fair that Ron Paul is being excluded from the Fox (faux news) forum than it would be if New Hampshire were to hold a forum of journalists and exclude Fox because of their low ratings. This is America and the forum is for the people. I don't want the government, much less Fox news telling me who I am allowed to watch.

The good news for Ron Paul is that obviously Fox news feels his message is a threat so they must fear him and the truth. If he were really as far behind as Fox tries to indicate then they weould not care if the people heard him.

I applaud ABC for their fairness tonight in including Ron Paul and I applaud the media for ALLOWING Fox news to stay on tv despite the low iq of their fan base. Clearly there would be no point in boycotting Fox programming or their sponsors because there is no fear than anyone who can make informed decisions would ever be watching Faux news to begin with.

GO RON PAUL!

PS. I heard FOX say they did not have enough chairs to include everyone. Certainly a very difficult problem to have to try and solve. Are you smarter than a first grader????

January 5, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  17. Ed

Fox may be the most overtly corrupt, but all of the major media, television, radio and newspapers have the same New World Order agenda. They lie by ommision. They lyed about 911 by not airing all the eyewitness reports of explosions before the Twin Towers and Building Seven (which was not hit by an airliner) were brought down by controlled demolition. They are all lying, by ommision, now, about the North American Union and the Nafta Highway (Trans Texas Corridor).
    They lie about Vaccines causing Autism, and lie stating that Vaccines are manditory; they don’t tell people that they can opt out. If you want the truth listen to the Alex Jones Radio Program at http:\\www.infowars.com

January 5, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  18. Change4America

This is a case of a wildly corrupt "news orginazation" bullying and shaping public opionin. We should not stand for this here. We are the beacon of freedom. Our minds are not to be bought and sold. Companies like this need to be publicly censured and fined. Criminal charges need to be brought. And finally thief FCC liscense must be revoked. Edward R. Murrow was right.
    Boycot Fox, all of thier products, and thier subsidaries. A company like this must be held responsible for thier actions.

January 5, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  19. Bo

Go Ron Paul supporters!!!

This little ploy by FOX is just going to backfire. Not even they can stop the revolution.

January 5, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  20. kimmie

Did you all forget?? The one with the most MONEY WINS!!! lol

January 5, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  21. kj

Can anyone give us a listing of all FOX (Murdoch) affliates? I want to boycott everything.

GO RON PAUL! You're going to make it.

January 5, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  22. Justin

My thanks to Mr. Cullen and the NH GOP.

This in your face act of BIAS by Fox News, I believe will spark a flame in the heart of every american. This fame if allowed will spread through this courty like a brush-fire. Fox News, I believe by doing this you have fired the first shot in Dr. Paul's Revolution, and his message is on that will now grow thanks to you....

I believe as do many, that your bias act to block out Dr. Paul has not hurt his cause , but has rather push it forward and we the people of these United States will stand up and speak up for America....what is left of her!!!!

Just a final note: God Bless you Dr. Paul, and all of my fellow Ron Paul supporters!

January 5, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  23. sara

well fox just does not want the one that would do this country GOOD (RON PAUL) to get his message out to the masses. they are scared that if the everyday joe finds paul. the person they want to win won't.

January 5, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  24. Freddie CT

I have had Fixed News Channel blocked on my televisions for years because of their bias.

I will keep the block on Fixed News Channel. I think CNN'S Wolf Blitzer is biased in favor of Billary and he loves Joe Lieberman, the turncoat. I change the channel when Wolf Blitzer is on but I try to turn back to watch Jack Cafferty. I change again when Wolf Blitzer comes back on.

January 5, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  25. Mitch

Really, Fox news is an independent organization and they can do what they want. But they really are not being fair. That much is obvious and everyone is finally realizing that now. FOX has always been a joke IMO and I believe they have no right to sway an election for their neo-con friends. I'm glad NH pulled their support, that's the right thing to do.

January 5, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |