January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. Tim, Minnesota

I'm glad the GOP did this. Fox doesn't want to have anyone around who wants to talk about peace. They are war-hungry even though none of the people calling the shots ever served in the military. Fox says it supports the Veterans, well look how they treat Ron Paul, he's a veteran. They are phonies that use abstract patriotism to profit from. Losers

January 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. Seth Nadreau

I was lured in to the Ron Paul camp by a friend of mine. I was registered Democrat and had been since my 18th birthday and couldn't possibly consider backing a Republican candidate.

That, my friends, has changed. After listening to what Dr. Paul has had to say over the past six months I have changed party affiliations and will be casting my vote to Dr. Paul. It is sad, that FOX News would exclude any candidate, let alone the two that I consider to be the standout change (to steal a word from Obama) candidates.

I have already boycotted Fox News for their offenses to the American people and I will not support their advertisers either. I have sent emails to the owner of Newscorp (Rupert Murdoch) letting him know this, as well.

His email address is RMurdoch@Newscorp.com. Please be polite, but be forthright.

January 5, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. Jon Wallen

I was watching various channels cover the results fo the Iowa Caucus the following day (starting with CNN, my now favorite news network who seems to be doing a very balanced report on the candidates)...my LAST stop was Fox where I usually get a big laugh to start my day off. They were discussing the democratic candidates, and when they showed their list of the winners on the Dem side they showed the top 3 or 4 then flipped over to the rest of the contenders and briefly covered them, mentioning ALL their names. Then they went over to the Republican candidates and only talked about the top four. They never flipped to a graphic that showed the rest of the republican candidates (which would have showed RP in 5th with 10%). They DID mention something about Guliani not doing so well and then went on to something else. I laughed and changed the channel back to CNN to watch REAL coverage of the election. Their outright omissions of anything to do with Ron Paul is childish and pathetic. I am not even going to watch Prison Break (one of my favorite shows) when it comes back on; I'M THAT DISGUSTED WITH FOX.

January 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. brian kuszmar

I called the NHGOP and asked them to withdraw support for the FOX forum, i am glad to see they did the right thing. I for one will not watch ANY FOX stations, I have also called FOX advertisers with whom i am customer with and asking them to withdraw all advertising from FOX.

Bkusz
    Lbts, Fla.

January 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Chad A Blessinger

I appreciate the integrity and support the New Hampshire Republican Party, in particular Fergus Cullen, have shown on this issue. I hope Fox will change their plans. They say they do not have enough room for all of them so I suggest they change locations. This should not be that difficult.

January 5, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. Sharon Blanding, TX

Thank you Mr. Cullen and the NH GOP. This move took some courage but it was the only right thing to do.

It was so interesting watching Ron Paul on Bill Moyers Journal last night. Paul has so much class, and even on the numerous times that Moyers gave him the opportunity to say negative things about the other candidates, he did not do it. He responds to the issues in a factual, learned and PRINCIPLED way, and is totally consistent in his constitutional approach to the problems facing our nation.

To have him on the debates would definitely elevate the whole affair and give it a "statemen"quality that otherwise may not be present.

January 5, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. Webber53

Hooray for Fergus Cullen and the NH GOP!

Faux News is a travesty!

January 5, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. Thomas A. O'Brien

Hurrah for the sound ethics of the New Hampshire GOP and thank you Mr. Cullen! This is a very positive step toward exposing the realities of media mogul, Rupert Mudoch’s propaganda machines. My friends, regardless what side of the political fence you are on – I urge you to permanently boycott Fox News and email their sponsors why. Also, keep your eye on all media including CNN.

If you have ever wanted to “stick it to the man” but wondered just who the “man” is – well Rupert Murdoch is “the man”, so let that power hungry thug know just where he can take it. Stick to him hard!

Fox News has no place in the American media.

January 5, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Jeff Watters

As a former New Hampshire resident I don't know if Fox News knows what they are up against. New Hampshire is very independent and makes its own way instead of fitting a mold. Fergus Cullen has made the correct decision and should be congratulated for a bold stand against injustice. The question remains if a network owned by Keith Rupert Murdoch (aka Rupert Murdock) who is not an American, should be in control of American politics and the influence the media has over the political process?

January 5, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. Jive Dadson

A large number of GOP state representatives from NH called on the NH GOP to ask the other presidential candidates to boycott. I'll bet that not a one of them does.

January 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. Max

A good move towards fairness by the NH GOP. I commend them for this.

January 5, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  12. ken

It would appear that f-news does not want republicans to hear what Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter have to say. I guess the neocons are afraid that the truth being told is bad for their kind of government!!! Fox news provides everything to grow the best crop of mushrooms, a lot of bull**** and very little light!!!! It would be great to have a government that does the will of the people for a change, instead of knowing what is best for us>

January 5, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  13. Juli An

This announcement is BIG news and SHOULD be covered nationwide. American Media is Corrupt and We Aren't Going To Take It Any More!

The Media has been Manipulating the Election Process from the Beginning by daily bombarding Americans with THEIR choices and THEIR opinions. Guess what American Media – YOUR Opinions DON'T count! This is the United States of America – NOT the United Media of America!

Hit them where it hurts! Tape every debate and the ones that do not allow EVERY candidate to participate – Write to the Advertisers/Sponsors with a cc to the Television Station – that you are going to boycott their products.

I have to say that John Edwards may not win – but, his message rings true – corporate greed has been running this country – which especially includes the media & they must be stopped!

January 5, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  14. Maria

I refuse to watch the debate on FOX news – I truly hope
    that my fellow Americans will follow this lead

January 5, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  15. Marco

Way to go NH RP. It seems like all of the media markets are trying to hide the surge of support that is building for Ron Paul. I am sadly disappointed in the amount of coverage he is allowed. Here in Raleigh, NC, it seems like the only type of campaign ads that I see around town are for Paul. It is truly a grassroots approach. BOOO to Fox news!!!!

January 5, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. Maria, Dallas Texas

On another note..
    I no longer watch Fox news – period!
    I have now turned to CNN for fair and balanced

January 5, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. Art , Del Mar, CA

Duncan Hunter needs to step aside...What is his point in running??

January 5, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. Danny C TN

Way to go NH , Faux news is the biggest bunch of propagandist I know. Ron Paul should be included. He beat out Ghouliani in Iowa and is ahead in NH of several rebubs. Either way I fully support Dr. Paul. I found my line in the sand, have you?
    PeacE to you all and I bid you all a good day.

January 5, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. Cameron

Good for New Hampshire!

It is absurd that you would keep the Republican who raised the most money in the 4th quarter out of a debate.

Interesting there has been no story on 4th Quarter fundraising numbers, isn't it? Could it be that the other Republicans don't want to admit how badly Ron Paul beat them at the money game?

January 5, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Angela

WTG NH GOP!! I think that is just great. There is no justification for not inviting Ron Paul. They can get a bigger bus, come on. He polled ahead of Guilliani, you can't invite Guilliani now and not Ron Paul. They really do just think we are stupid sheep.
    They have a serious problem here though, and trying to ignore it to go away is just making it worse.

Thanks again Mr. Cullen! Everyone who spent their hard earned money for Ron Paul to have a voice in this Election appreciates you letting Fox know Dr. Paul deserves that voice.

I hope the Candidates follow suit and bow out of this biased Forum, or I think they dare to lose credibility themselves.

January 5, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. David - Oregon City

We have “Breaking News”. Fox News learns it’s head is up it’s backside! Stay tuned for further devilments!

January 5, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. Curt

I understand Fox's desire to have a forum where candidates have more time to answer questions more in depth. But it's pointless to get to know the candidates more in depth so early in the process. Have you ever seen a realty show where the number of contestants starts out as 20, and then the second episode there's suddenly only 8 "to get to know each contestant better"? You would think "Hello, what happened to the 3 or 4 episodes in between??" You never see it!

But Fox is trying to define the election field for themselves, so their ratings will get boosted.

It's their right to do it, because they're not getting any federal funding for this debate. But at the same time, it doesn't mean people can take it lying down. Sell Fox stock, refuse to buy products that are advertised on their network and write those companies letting them know that's the only reason you're not buying their products. The results are already showing themselves, Fox stock price went down significantly, the Fox news anchors even talking about how "mad" supporters are and companies that were mistankely on the blackmail list seeking to get themselves off the list.

And now the GOP chairman in NH has withdrawn his support, good for him! We're all brought up on ideals of fairness and equal representation, it's heart-warming when someone in power acts on these ideals.

January 5, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Matt, New York, New York

To any Ron Paul supporter, your candidate is an idiot. He plans to bring every single American soldier in Japan, Germany, South Korea and elsewhere around the world, home. What are these millions of troops going to do when Paul cuts down the military? He plans to turn all the navy ships around and return them to port. He wants to dismantle the IRS and dozens of other government funded organizations, firing tens of thousands of employees. With 5% unemployment, where are these fired workers going to go?

Support John McCain and make your vote mean something.

January 5, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  24. Angela

I think it's real interesting that their entire criteria are 2 different polls and 1 states caucus results.

Polls dont mean anything, any 1 state is like 1% of the overall vote. Come on, maybe Fundraising should be added in the criteria hm? A campaign can't go on without money**, that makes it an important factor, doesnt it?

**Unless you're the Huck and can get by with no money by having a dedicated following of Media following you around as you shoot birds out of the sky for holiday fun..........

January 5, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. R. Banks

Fox news is wrong to exclude candidates Hunter and Paul. Hunter has now won

delegates in Wy. Paul had 10% of Ia vote.

I did not believe that Fox news would do such to limit the scope of views from the American people.

I have trusted you for my news information. Now you are like the rest!!

January 5, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |