January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. dingobully

Yep. No news on Fox Network as usual. They should be banned from claiming they report news. Why people still watch is beyond me.

January 5, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  2. LAguy

Ron Paul's fifteen minutes of embarrassment ended with his disastrous fifth place finish in Iowa. C'mon, let the old man go home to Texas without any more humiliation.

January 5, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. Andrea Thorn

I wish that Hunter and Paul were included. They are my two favorites, and I think Hunter has a very sound record to run on. The chosen 5 are virtually the same.

January 5, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  4. Kimberly

I am starting to feel like an American again. They are listening to the people's interest and not trying to spoon feed us their decisions. Thank You New Hampshire for standing up for what is right, and shame on Fox for trying to hide behind a small area that wouldn't fit two more people. You are telling me they don't have enough money to add an extension to their make shift studio and buy a couple chairs for the most important thing going on in America!

January 5, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  5. Ally Kendall

Republicans who are serious about American democracy should join me in boycotting Fox sponsors http://www.debone.com/boycottFoxNewsSponsors.html
    thus.

January 5, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. glen ruska

Please Fox News! Tell us poor feeble minded Americans who we should listen to.
    Good job NH GOP. Hopefully some of the other candidates will speak up about this.

January 5, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  7. William Keim

This is a hot issue right now and Im glad to see that not just the "kooky conspirist" Paul supporters are chiming in.

This is a blatant display of disinformation and bias that simply cannot be contended. Fox news has chosen to ignore these canidates because they are not in line with their viewpoints. Plain and simple.

For that, I will make sure that I will no longer support the Fox corporation. I will not watch thier TV programs, I will not buy their products (sad since I love family guy), I will not watch movies created by their company, and I will make darn sure I tell everyone I know to do the same. Thank you Fox for providing such a shining example of your biased transparency.

Your's truely,
    A "kooky conspirist" Ron Paul supporter!

January 5, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  8. Marie

Ron Paul has more answers than any other candidate, I would like to hear him speak more. He is dead-on with every issue we are facing today. I agree with him on America's foreign policy and especially his out-look on our monetary system. Ron Paul has my support. Thanks.

January 5, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. stephen belt

Fox should reconsider its ideas, and give to provided a "Free Market" over the election process in the United States of America!! Let all candidates enjoy an equal amount of times in all national debates especially one raking in the money and pulling in a substantial amount of votes!

January 5, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  10. Brittney

I hope the NHGOP realizes that we–as supporters of the excluded candidates and people who want each contender to have a fair shake at candidacy in a free society–thank them for doing the right thing, even though they could not bring about the best outcome. It's telling that the NH REPUBLICAN PARTY has pulled its support from the REPUBLICAN DEBATE before Fox News did. Just who has more of a stake in which candidates are viewed as front runners, hm?

January 5, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  11. jaime

HOW ARE THEY GETTING AWAY WITH THIS???? DUH HE DID BETTER THAN GULLIANI!!! FOX IS A BUNCH OF WEIRDOS!

January 5, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  12. David

Fox News is a private company, and they are making a decision (an unfair one in my opinion) that they think will help their bottom line in the future. War makes for good television. It's that easy. But don't forget, we have voices, and we have a choice in what products we purchase. We can send a message to Fox that we do not support their decision to exclude Dr. Paul from this debate. If you truly believe in Dr. Paul, you believe in free market. Make your voices heard by boycotting Fox advertisers.

January 5, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  13. jaime

WE SHOULD ALSO GIVE CONGRATS FOR THE NHGOP!!!

January 5, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  14. Erika

New Hampshire has definitely stepped to the plate and done the right thing. FOX seems to think presidential debates fall under the category of advertisements for their product. Most Americans don't care who FOX wants to put in the white house because FOX is part of the problem in this country.

But seriously, if we're going to play pretend-let's pretend to pick someone out of this field that has some integrity and honor. Let's pretend we're paying attention to what these people are about-what they've done in the past that leads us to believe they'd be a good LEADER, not a good PRODUCT. Let's pretend we're using our own judgement to choose our next PRESIDENT-we're not talking about which toilet paper or toothpaste or cell phone to use here-Let's pretend this is the real deal and FOX is trying to sell us something for profit-because that's what's really happening here. We need access to all candidates so we can make an informed decision. FOX evidently thinks it's their job to do that for us by excluding some valuable candidates and pushing their agenda instead. I'm certain they can afford a bigger forum for this debate, they just would rather not, because Ron Paul's stand doesn't protect their corporate interests. That's ok. Their corporate stand doesn't protect my interests so I can exclude them as well.

I applaud New Hampshire's decision and I applaud CNN for bringing this issue to the forefront and allowing real Americans a voice. FOX has outdone themselves this time in their arrogance. I won't support anything connected with them again. May the best man win.

January 5, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  15. Malcontent

Fox News ? .... how about Faux News ! This just shows they have a politicial agenda and it also shows how stubborn their management can be... I think they know they made a mistake, but they are too proud to reverse course. What they don't realize is it will probably make more people vote for Paul !!!

January 5, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  16. Jenny Roberts

All of the candidates invest time and money to run for president of this country. It is only fair that they all get the same air time as every other candidate.

January 5, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  17. Danny

Everyone knows FOX is biased but now they are just in your face and unapologetic about it. Ron Paul is a serious contender and if the media didn't try to marganilize him he would be an obvious front runner. Ron Paul has united people from all parts of the country. I myself always considered myself a liberal democrat....that's until I found out I was mistakenly calling myself that I am truely a libertarian. I love the founders, I love the constitution and I love Ron Paul for sticking up for those basic American ideals.

January 5, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  18. Katie Brewer

This is an outrage. I guess the media is truly deciding on whose the better candidate is, and afraid American citizens can't make up their own mind? I really feel that Fox News is the LEAST FAIR AND BALANCED out of all the TV stations. I work with numerous different types of people everyday, and every chance I get I try to bring up the presidential debates and how FOX NEWS is treating the other candidates. Especially Ron Paul. Are they scared that if the AMERICAN PEOPLE actually heard what he had to say, they would vote for FREEDOM? LIBERTY? and smaller Government? It saddens me that I am living in this time and witnessing this with my own eyes. Our kids are going to be hurting if we don't get someone in there that will stand up and fight for the middle class!

January 5, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  19. Chance Siribandan

Fox's exclusion of Ron Paul makes no sense to anyone but them. Ron Paul won 10% in Iowa and will probably win more in New Hampshire, the "Live Free or Die" state. Why Fox News even claims to be balanced is a mystery to me.

January 5, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  20. Logan

I HIGHLY support this move by the NHGOP! Way to go! This is absolutely a PRIME example of what people need to do to stand up to these corporate media giants! Rupert Murdoch and FAUX news should not only be boycotted for this, they should be pulled off the air permanently for deceiving the American people on a consistent basis. The news media in general should be held more so accountable for the direction this country is heading, and I believe it starts w/ FOX, and setting a precedent there! But FIRST it starts with ELECTING RON PAUL PRESIDENT, he can/will SAVE this nation, get rid of the IRS and the International Bankers precious Federal Reserve and print our own money like Lincoln did w/ the green backs! And for those of you that disagree, you are delusional if you think there is any other way to save the dollar and not nose dive into a depression like we have never seen! You see it's all planned by the elites, but Ron Paul can change that! He is our Only hope, and people know this!!!!!!! Thanks VOTE RON PAUL 08

January 5, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  21. Duane Maddy

Fox has a news network? It's no longer viable the day it chooses its own candidate.

January 5, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. Jason Fittipaldi

I was surprised the NH GOP actually pulled support. I'm very glad they did it, but I wish it had stronger implications for Fox News.

January 5, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Rick (Acworth, GA)

Excluding these two men from the debates only serves to show how the media will push its agenda to further the candidacy of those it deems "most worthy" of the oval office. When are we, as the American public, going to stop letting the media dictate what is deemed worth or not worthy of their coverage? We need to let FNC & CNN that we want unvarnished, truthful, unbiased coverage of news that matters to us, especially when it comes to electing our next President. I cant understand how they think that they are anything BUT biased by eliminating *anyone* from the debates.

I think I might have to check out CNN again...

January 5, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. jeff

What he said, and him, and him, and her, etc....

January 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  25. Dan Evans

As a loyal Fox news watcher, I am ashamed of the way they have treated Ron Paul. I wonder what their "fear" of him really is? It is intriging how Bill O'Reilly and Hannity get shrill whenever his name is mentioned.

During the aftermath of the Iowa caucus, I switched f rom Fox news to MSNBC just so I could find out where Ron Paul finished.

Fair and balanced???