January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. Sarah

If Giuliani's in the debate, Paul DEFINITELY should be, seeing as how he soundly whipped Rudy in the Iowa caucus.

January 5, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  2. Andy

Ron Paul being takin out of the fox forum is absolutely absurd. I mean come on Rudy only got 3% in Iowa yet he is invited? To be honest Iowa is not a critical state when it comes to votes, and to be honest nobody should be excluded. I believe everyone has the right to be heard whether they are leading in polls or not. I understand its always been like this but its not fair to the people running or the American public. Im not the type a voter to make my decision based on who is most popular. I want a real true canidate. Not an individual that everyone else thinks is cool. It really shows that your vote doesn't count unless your voting for whoever has the most votes. Its rediculous and absurd as I said above. Its a disgrace to the American people that the media decides who we can and cant hear speak, and who we can and cant vote for. Its not freedom of choice its freedom by allowance. We are allowed the freedom to hear certain people speak, and therefor we are allowed the freedom to vote for whoever they allow to speak.

January 5, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  3. Ahmed K. Ismaiel

Thank you so much for voicing our opinions. We should give all candidates a fair chance, this is America for crying out loud! Ron Paul 2008!

January 5, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  4. W.L.S., Indiana

I have always listened, liked, and agreed with "O" Factor. No more. It is apparent that Bill and Hannity have their Own agenda. It will be to their downfall that they did not present an open and unbias forum. Ron Paul is the man.

January 5, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  5. Wesley roman chicago IL

I use to be a fox die hard not any more Ill be watching CNN from now on for my fair and unbiased news

January 5, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  6. J. DeHerrera

I am a Ron Paul supporter, and will be voting for him on Super Tuesday. What Faux is doing, is what all of the media has BEEN doing. Ron Paul's message has spread so FAR, through the oppression...New Hampshire is AWSOME!! They have stood up and said enough! Faux has done Ron Paul, and this nation a favor by being so ignorant. Ron Paul does have a following, In Iowa, New Hampshire and the nation. The news has been lying, and trying to silance him, and now everyone KNOWS it. People are so sick of corruption, We will not be lied to any longer. And "WHY are they trying to silence this guy" is what everyone wants to know....Thank You Faux!! Ron Paul would kick ass in any debate as always...but now he's all over the place. hahahahaha...LOVES it!!!

January 5, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  7. henry

The audacity of fox News in excluding Ron Paul shows that the status quo and our corporate-backed media fear his message of ultimate liberty and civilian freedom. The stifling of Dr. Paul's voice only makes for louder echoes to resonate on undecided ears. God bless everyone, not just Americans.

January 5, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  8. Dustin

I believe the other presidential hopefuls should also pull out if they stand by their own political party.

January 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  9. Holly

Fox is making themselves look like complete idiots and I hope they lose big time $$$ over this obvious bias against Ron Paul.

Note to all RP supporters, even if he doesn't get the nomination, vote for him as a write-in candidate!!! He still could have a shot!

January 5, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  10. liz

thank you! i think that just because you don't agree with them, doesn't mean you shouldn't allow your viewers to have the opportunity to educate themselves, and decide for themselves which point of view is good for them... FOX shouldn't be side-stepping the American publics ability to make sound choices.
    GO RON PAUL!!

January 5, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  11. Daniel Gadd

I will boycott all Fox Sponsers permanantly and so wil my family thruout the generations until Fox Network is history. Thanks for your time on this. Ron Paul is Real!!!!!!!

January 5, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  12. Billy Bob Gibbs

I'm 58. After 39 years as a registered Democrat, I switched to Republican 4 days ago,where I could vote for Dr. Ron Paul. I plan to support him till he wins. It's a shame Fox resorted to this low blow tactic. It's good to know the NH GOP is more concerned about fairness and balance, than FOX , I hope this position translates into a beneficial change for Dr. Paul and Duncan Hunter. Thanks ( CNN ) for this opportunity to speak freely, and the opportunities you have provided to Dr. Paul, especially on the Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck news shows, I watch both shows all the time. I rarely watch FOX , NOW.

January 5, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  13. Pete Mattli

Right on, NH GOP, right on !!!!!

CNN is now flooded with new viewers,
    thanks to F____s News proven and total lack of integrity.

F_____s News has just gone to last place if anybody's
    polling the news media.

Pete
    Clermont, FL

January 5, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  14. Donny S.

Fox is such a joke. Anyone who believes that Fox is "fair and balanced" has to be a moron. They are simply the publicity machine for the Republican Party. They are leaving out Ron Paul because he opposes what most republicans favor: the Iraq war debacle, which was started on LIES to begin with.

January 5, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  15. Dan

It is a shame that Ron Paul (and, sigh, and Hunter) is being excluded from the debate. We must remember that Fox News is a decidely unbalanced network, favoring neo-conservatives over true conservatives. But at the same time it is a private company that can do as it pleases. No government action should be sought or encouraged to make it comply with our wishes. It is a heartening thing that the GOP of New Hampshire decided to pull out in order to protect the honesty of the debate, and they ought to be applauded for their decision.

January 5, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  16. Briann

I am really happy that the NH GOP has made this decision. Ron Paul has a big following in NH and it is unfair to exclude him.

Fox needs to admit they are wrong and invite him. The people are sick and tired of media trying to decide who they vote for, and the back lash will not be good for Fox or their sponsors.

January 5, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  17. Kyle, Huntsville Alabama

Fox News left off Ron Paul because they don't like his message. They have been and will continue to try and silence him. It is a joke that they call themselves a news organization.

January 5, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  18. Mike Pasquini

Rudy comes in 5th and Ron Paul goes from 0% to 10% in Iowa, yet Fox News chooses not to have Dr. Paul present at their forum. Not only that, but Ron Paul is the only candidate that has any stances that are significantly different. What does the American public have to gain from having these uniform voices at the forum? Let's have Ron Paul in it and let him express his traditional conservative views. His momentum alone has earned it, let alone his breaking fundraising records.

January 5, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  19. Joe Knows

I guess I will start to watch CNN more. I always thought that FOX was fair and balanced, but they have shown their true colors. I do not like someone picking out my candidates for me. I don't know whether I will vote for Dr. Paul, but I would at least like to make up my own mind.

January 5, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  20. ginger

What is CNN afraid of? That the rest of America will see we are upset over the lack of complete and fair reporting by their competitor?
    Shame on FAUX news for not stepping up to the plate to cover all the American public!!

GO RON PAUL!!! LIVE FREE OR DIE NEW HAMPSHIRE!!

Ginger
    waiting for my turn on Super Tuesday February 5th!!!

January 5, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  21. Janet Meadow

I like how Paul showed them up by getting over double the votes that Giuliani received; even without being included in the debate.

Paul has shown he more than deserves a spot in Nebraska. Thats the "fair and balanced" thing to do.

January 5, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  22. Meg Ethridge

To answer an earlier poster's question about why Giuliani is in the Fox News Forum, here is your answer.

The Fox News chief, Roger Ailes, is a long-time Republican activist dating back to the days of the Richard Nixon administration, and a close associate of former New York mayor and Republican presidential candidate Rudolph Giuliani.

Ailes managed Giuliani's first and unsuccessful race for mayor in 1989, and Giuliani later officiated at Ailes's wedding. When Fox News was a start-up, then-Mayor Giuliani pushed so hard to force cable networks such as Time-Warner to carry it that a federal judge hearing a subsequent lawsuit blocked the mayor's plan to put Fox on a city-owned channel, calling it "special advocacy" to "reward a friend and further a political viewpoint". Guiliani was a highly visible tablemate and guest of Ailes and Fox at the most recent White House Correspondents' Dinner.

Go Ron Paul!! I'll be watching Ron Paul tomorrow on Justin TV. Ron Paul purchased an hour of time on a local TV station in NH opposite the Faux News Forum.

January 5, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. Mary

If the other Republican candidates have any respect for Democracy and giving the American people freedom of choice – they will follow the lead of the NH GOP and decline the FOX debate invitation. Do they really have the principles they spoke about this evening during the ABC debate?

January 5, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  24. William

We report, you decide...Watch: Rupert Murdoch – His War on Journalism. It's one hell of a documentary and lays Faux news out on the table. Fair and balanced my ass. Of course, CNN (Clinton News Network) is almost as bad in the leftus direction but not quite.

January 5, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  25. Sean (Washington, DC)

It is unbelievable to me that this could happen in America. The media does not decide who gets elected, no matter how much theyd like to think so, the people do. So it is the responsibility of the media to present all candidates the same face time with the the people, so the people can make an educated choice in who they want to vote into the White House. Six months ago I didn't know who Ron Paul was and I had been a watcher of Fox News for almost 6 years, since 9/11. The reason I didnt know who Ron Paul was is because Fox News has done everything in their power to ignore giving him airtime. Now all they do is try to bash him. If not for word of mouth, in hearing about him, and being able to look him on the internet, I wouldnt even be voting this year. The lesser of 2 evils is still evil, but now we have another way to go with Ron Paul. REAL change, and just in time. This country is in serious trouble, and the fact that Fox News refuses to give RP his due, is proof on where Fox News' loyalties lie. They are afraid of what will happen if RP got elected, because he would end the Iraq war and the profits Fox News is making from it. Not only am I no longer watching Fox News, but I am also boycotting all of its sponsors. I urge anyone who believes in America to do the same. I am voting for Liberty this year, and that means Ron Paul in '08.

January 5, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |