January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. Walter Velasquez

Ron Paul is the truth. And the other canidates are just reflections of each other. He is the only one that has the guts to talk about the real problems without pandering to a particular group. He want the constitution to be the law. Whats not to like about that?

January 5, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  2. Kimberly

Imagine, a mainstream media format denying coverage to a politician who acutally has some substance. I've never trusted a politician in my life, but Ron Paul would be welcome in my home anyday. He has a firm stance on all the issues and Fox News is doing a serious disjustice, not just to Ron Paul, but to their viewers who have a right to hear and be heard. Shame on you Fox.

January 5, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  3. Rick W

I applaud the decision made by the RNC of New Hampshire to pull their support. It is obvious that News Corp and FOX does not want a "Fair and Balanced" debate, nor are they interested in a non biased "Report" so we can "Decide". I am glad there are still news organizations like yours that believe in allowing the American people to hear all viewpoints. How else can people make an informed decision?

January 5, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. Laura Bloemker

While I am glad that the NH Republican Party has withdrawn its support from the debate/forum this sunday, I am still unset that Dr.Paul does not get to have his say...I could care less about Duncan, but the man should have his say too... everyone should. What a sad state of affairs our nation is in. GO RON GO! Defend us, Let our voices be heard! You have THIS texans vote 100%!!!!

January 5, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  5. Jon

This is a shame. The fact that the GOP pulled out is enough to make you wonder if FOX even cares about news anymore.

January 5, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  6. Xavier, Miami

I'm going to make this simple...

Fox News = Bad
    Republican Party = Bad
    Ron Paul = Good

Fox News = Republican Party ≠ Ron Paul

January 5, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  7. Tamara

It amazes me that Fox News is going through with this. It simply proves that their "Fair and Balanced" approach is anything but fair and balanced (something that discerning American citizens have known for a while now). They initially claimed that Dr. Paul and Duncan Hunter were not far enough up in the polls to merit inclusion in their forum. Fine, let's say that's their reasoning.

But Thursday, Dr. Paul soundly defeated Giuliani in Iowa. This was not a straw poll, an online poll, or some poll taken by the reputable pollsters who question "likely Republican voters" throughout the campaign season. This was a literal primary. Iowa citizens went out to vote, and 10% of voting Republicans said they wanted Ron Paul as President. Giuliani got 4%.

So, wouldn't a "fair and balanced" news network who claimed poll numbers as their reasoning for excluding someone from the forum then respectfully pull up a chair for Dr. Paul?

You'd think so. But you'd be wrong. Because this is Fox News we're talking about. Is ANYONE catching on yet?

I suppose no one but Dr. Paul's supporters care though. After all, it's fair and balanced enough as long as it's fair and balanced in your favor.

RON PAUL 2008
    GOD BLESS AMERICA AGAIN

January 5, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  8. Jason

This is a classic example of "let's exclude the man who doesn't fit our mold of what a (fill in the blank, in this case "Republican") should be because he threatens the agenda they're trying to accomplish.

This should be a clear sign that FOX news is not an objective news source and wants to push a particular agenda (demonstrated by the fact that only candidates who support the war are invited).

Personally, I'm very disappointed that FOX and the GOP are trying to blackball Ron Paul, especially with the fact that he had 10% of the Iowa vote.

January 5, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  9. Mark

How can you have a real "debate" without opposition? ABC's debate this evening was a true debate. If only they had put EVERYONE together for all 4 hours...... I watched the whole thing, and the funny thing is that Obama and Ron Paul DO have a lot in common, but also have major differences. A democrat talking about tax cuts? Who would have guessed?

January 5, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  10. Trish Adam

My hat is soo off to the New Hampshire GOP !! No one is going to push them around. Now lets take their example and stop being pushed around ourselves.
    Enough of war and unneeded taxes and our rights being trampled on. Its time to vote for Ron Paul and change the way we live to a happy life! We fear the IRS more then anything..get rid of it Ron !!

January 5, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  11. Anne Tobias

FOX News epitomizes _Old Media_. The kind of centralized, mindless corporate crap that is increasingly irrelevant in the 21st century, except as comic fodder. Bye FOX! Can you hear the laughter as we flush you down the drain?

January 5, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  12. Brent

Fox New seems to have a Grudge against Dr. Paul and because of that I know have a grudge against Fox News. Supposedly they report and we are to decide. Seems to me they are making our decisions for us as well. I'm done with Fox News.

January 5, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  13. Boycott Fox News

Boycott Fox News and it's advertisers!

January 5, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  14. Aaron

CHEERS to the New Hampshire Republican Party!!!!!

America is ALL ABOUT standing up for your convictions...and that is just what they did.

Fox is a joke.

January 5, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  15. Yvonne

Thank you NH GOP.

I quit watching Fox a long time ago because fair and balanced they're not. Never have I seen a more right leaning news organization. I get my news from the Internet and CNN exclusively. I hope Fox feels the wrath from this for some time to come.

January 5, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  16. mobs

i have to commend The New Hampshire Republican Party in taking such action. Fox just proved itself anti-American and proved it's lack of loyalty to the Republican party. It's pathetic the U.S. government would put up with something like this. Then again who am i kidding.

Neo-con ( ne-oh-kon ) derived from the Greek prefix Neos, and transitive verb Con
    1. New age lier.
    a. new age in spreading misleading or untrue information
    b. new way to persuade someone of the untrue
    c. new age fake

January 5, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  17. michael kelly

Great news! If some any candidates still show up at the Faux News forum (integrity?), I hope someone asks the following question: "Why does the UK now have a higher standard of living than the US, something that has not happened since the 19th century"? I'm voting for the candidate that has a sensible explanation and plan for the future.

January 5, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  18. Raymond Pizarro jr.

Its outrageous. Ron Paul should have a chance to express his views just as much as some of the other canidates. FOX has made a bold excuse and they need to make room for the truth and stop putting a slant on the news all the time.

January 5, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  19. Scott

It's not "Un-American", it's the NEW AMERICA!!!...created by the current administration & your current congressional representatives (democrats & republicans alike)...corruption is their motto and nothing other than money drives it.

End the corruption Ron Paul!

January 5, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  20. mcthorogood

Dennis Kucinich is considering legal action against ABC. How have corporations become so powerful? After the adoption of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, lawyers found a way to have corporations defined as legal persons in perpetuity! Sort of a "Corporate Personhood" in which the entity is afforded all the rights guaranteed by Bill of Rights.

Ergo! If corporations were no longer legally considered persons with the 1st Amendment right of free speech, all corporate political activity could be forbidden. Go Dennis!

January 5, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. James

FOX is junk, they are trying to silence th only candidate that is telling the truth.

January 5, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  22. Clayton Marcus

This is saying so much about Fox News. Plain and simple. It has just made us even more excited.

January 5, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  23. Tara

All I have to say is I know who I am voting for! My husband and I are military, and sick of the war! My husband is getting ready to leave for Iraq for the 4th time! You know what he has called it the past couple times he has been there.......VACATION! I swear he called every 5 minutes, because there was nothing for him to do! Playing video games, watching movies, swimming in the pool, and eating lobster is not my idea of a war! We need a president to bring our troops home! I am voting for Ron Paul! Do the same and support me, my husband, and our fellow soldiers!

January 5, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  24. Beth from Georgia

I think it's a sad day when the American people are denied the chance to see ALL candidates for president.

My opinion of Rupert Murdoch? Don Henley had it right when he dedicated "Dirty Laundry" to him on their Farewell Tour #1.

January 5, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  25. Evan McCann

I think not including Ron Paul does nothing except for limit the conversation, which is what a debate is all about. There is no reason for excluding him.

January 5, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |