January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. James Cornwell

It is good to see that there are still people who believe in more choices the better. In a predicament like we have in our country where people are routinely voting for the lesser of two evils, more choices should be available to the people. It makes simple sense to have the good Dr. in the debates, mainly because he is the only one who actually understands the issues and applies constitutional values to them.

January 6, 2008 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  2. Dhaupin

"Fox is not bias, they just simply give equal time to BOTH parties, unlike the mainstream media"

that is completely false most of the time. I suggest you take a step back and look at the situation at hand. I'm not going to preach, but I will say 1 thing: Go do your homework. I mean c'mon, these two gentlemen being excluded from the debates for no proper reason whatsoever is the icing on this media cake that has been baking the last 3/4 century. If that is not one of the best examples we have of NOT giving equal time to both parties (or ALL parties), I dunno what is. Fox and other mainstream news sources are a paradox; they should not manipulate this way and we know this, yet we do nothing about it. The only reason these big guys exist is because we keep giving in, and giving them our cash. Support public media instead which is often much more fair and transparent.

Go a step further: To ensure this bias cannot be repeated through electronic voting, use absentee ballots. They are treated as paper records, and you bypass at least some of the electronic manipulation that surely could and has existed.

January 6, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  3. marissa

Dr. Ron Paul has earned his right to speak at the forum. Then again, Mit and Rudy won't let him speak anyways, like at tonights ABC debate.

January 6, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  4. Mickey1

Fox should lose their broadcast license along with ABC. They are trying to control the information. They need to serve the public. I hope Ron and Dennis take them court.

January 6, 2008 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  5. dan recchi

FOX NEWS IS A JOKE. RUPERT MURDOCH IS NOT PICKING MY PRESIDENT!

January 6, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  6. Matt Cole Niagara Falls, NY

'...The real story here is that the mainstream media has not just stated that certain candidates "Cannot win" but rather. "We won't let them win"...' – FreedomWon. Well said indeed, whoever you are, "FreedomWon"!

This is not about Ron Paul. It is not about Republican or Democrat. Or black or white. It is about tyranny. It is about opression. It is about a government that shows complete disregard for the very documents and ideals upon wich it was founded.

A wise man once told me (when refering to bleak and seemingly hopeless situations), "sometimes all you need is a spark." Hats off to Mr. Fergus Cullen and the New Hampshire Republican Party ...for being that spark! ...for giving us hope!
    ... for doing what is right! ... for telling that one man who is standing alone against a great injustice "You are NOT alone"!

-Live Free Or Die!

January 6, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  7. Vinny C., NYC, NY

Although I do not agree with Ron Paul on major issues, I have a certain level of respect for the guy and I sympathize. However, it shouldn't be a big deal that Fox excluded him under their guidelines. (whatever they may be). If Fox is using only nationwide polling, then it's clear Ron Paul isn't polling too well.

Furthermore, who knows what numbers Fox is using for N.H.? While watching the ABC debates on Saturday night, the NH numbers from WMUR had Rudy polling third and Huckabee polling fourth. There was no mention of whether Thompson or Paul was fifth. Who says that Fox has to use Rasmussen numbers? If ABC was allowed to bar Duncan Hunter (and Gravela nd Kucinich on the dem side) then Fox should be able to have guidelines as well.

January 6, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  8. Trevor Sutcliffe

It really does seem unfair. Fox has the right to broadcast whatever they want, but their objectivity has gone out the window. Ron Paul is seriously gaining ground as a candidate, and for me personally he's the presidential candidate I've been waiting for since I turned 18 and registered to vote. He beat Giuliani in Iowa, so why is he on the debate and not Ron Paul?

People are saying that this will probably help Ron Paul, but unfortunately I don't believe this is the case. While those closely following this particular issue are aware of the censorship that is going on here, the majority of those watching the debate will likely have no idea that he was denied entry to the debate.

All this after Ron Paul won the last GOP debate on Fox news by a landslide, according to text message Paul's run by Fox. I think after that happened Fox got scared of the power of Ron Paul's message. They've been attempting to discredit him ever since, taking his words out of context and generating an overt smear campaign against him. It makes me sick!

January 6, 2008 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  9. Ron

Mass media manipulation. Is this really a suprise? Big money – Big business – Big agenda's! Mr. Murdock is not American – he doesn't understand that he is doing wrong. If "we the people" get our news from Fox then we the people have problems – wait a second – "we the people" don't care about our country – we're more interested in Paris H and the latest football score. Fox should think abot getting the Super bowl soon. I wonder what Britnay is up to? Hmmm... I can't wait to get plastered! Beer pong at my house! DOESN'T EVERYONE SEE? WE ARE UNDER ATTACK OF MASS MANIPULATION!

Wake up.

Mass Communication major – TX State University – San Marcos

January 6, 2008 03:48 am at 3:48 am |
  10. chelle

I don't quite understand why Ron Paul isn't getting a fair and fighting chance to be heard. Its one thing to disagree, but to completely ignore is outrageous. In my (California) hometown, The only political signs I see are for RP. His name is all over the place! I want to know what the fuss is about

January 6, 2008 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  11. Kim

I am glad the New Hampshire Republican Party done this. All candidates should be seen and heard!! Once again it shows me just how "Fair and Balanced" FNC really are. I think Fox doesn't want anyone there that would hurt their chances for little buddy Flip-Flop Mitt.

January 6, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  12. Stephen Bailey

News stations should let all Candidate's get their word out. Not just the words of Candidates who the news station owners approve of. America is supposed to be about equal opportunity for ALL. Freedom of choice for ALL. How can we do that if News organization are already blocking out our choices before a primary vote?! It's a total disgrace and people are catching onto the BS that is being force feed to the American People. Our Government says we have equal opportunity, but more and more people are finally waking up to the reality that we do not. There was a time when Main Stream Media (MSM) could pull the covers over our heads, hide the truth, dictate what we watch, and sway our opinions ...but all that is coming to a end. The internet is the end of that. The Internet is a true Independent, free speech, media market. We can watch video's back to back and catch lies soo easily ...its pathetic! Fox News & CNN both ought to be ashamed of them self for excluding American Presidential Candidates! I give CNN Credit for being a more-fair news group, but you better recognize what is going on here. The American people are MUCH smarter that you think. Truth is easy to see! ...You don't have to be a smart educate to recognize truth. Main Stream Media manipulation and lies can't be hidden anymore. Americans will not stand for this injustice! If News companies like Fox continues to be bias then they will soon be out of business. Fox News is wrong for excluding Ron Paul, and CNN is EQUALLY as wrong for censoring Dennis Kucinich, and Mike Gravel. CNN better recognize that it's next if it doesn't stop it's nonsense. Problems MUST be addressed, if solutions are to be found. It is impossible to fix a problem if you don't know what the problem is. News is supposed to help uncover the problems, Not hide them! Please help us. Don't be against us. We all need to be apart of the solution even if that mean we have to face bad things that we don't want too. If Fox News & CNN are not part of the solution, then they/you're part of the problem. Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, and Mike Gravel are telling the truth about the problems in America, and if these problems are not brought into the open then WE WILL ALL GO DOWN!!! ....CNN included. Fox is helpless, but I urge CNN to become apart of the Solution. Please please do. I write these critical comment to be helpful. Sometimes the truth hurts but if thats what it takes to identify problems and fix them.... then so be it. If my comments here help at least 1 person to understand the seriousness of censoring truth... then I will have done my job as a America today. Tomorrow I will keep on spreading the beautiful message of equality, truth, honor, liberty, freedom, and peace... trying to get people to wake up... and Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, & Mike Gravel (who you try to silence) will do the same. We keep fighting because we understand the importance of TRUTH ..and we will no longer sit by and watch lies tear our country apart. I hope CNN will realize that same importance, and I urge everyone to stand up for TRUTH before its too late for us all. Thank You. Sincerely; Stephen Bailey

January 6, 2008 03:56 am at 3:56 am |
  13. Stephen Bailey

Oh I am so sorry CNN. I have made a big Mistake.... it was not you who excluded Dennis, and Mike .....it was ABC. Please delete my post, and I will correct it. I'm very sorry about that mistake. Thank you. Sincerely SB

January 6, 2008 04:01 am at 4:01 am |
  14. b.v.

I am so glad to hear this. I am a strong Ron Paul supporter, but I am an even stronger supporter of "fair and balanced." It is mainly the latter that makes me so elated this choice has been made in NH!

Go for it Ron Paul!

January 6, 2008 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  15. Demoncrat119

Ron Paul's message is so easy to understand because truth has power! Americans are getting really tired of having the big corporate media shove pre-approved candidates down their throats: just like how it is done in a third-world nation. Maybe that's the future that the some of these entities want for us, if Fox always gets it's way and they were able to control our elections.

People are getting upset that after two of the largest political contributions in US History went to Dr. Ron Paul, to then have the people's voice and their wallets ignored...like a bully stealing a child's lunch-money... It's good to see that Fox News and their parent, NewsCorp itself, will have to answer for their criminal use of the Public's Airwaves.

January 6, 2008 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  16. Sue Porter

Kudos to the NH GOP for standing up for integrity and fairness.

Faux News cannot justify excluding Ron Paul and including Ghouliani who came in last in the Iowa Caucus. They never have been FAIR and BALANCED. It's a sad comentary that the media (Fox) can dismiss a presidential candidate because his views do not agree with their war mongering views. Send Murdoch back to Australia. We're tired of Fox and other media trying to manipulate our elections.

To my delight it appears that Fox may have shot themselves in the foot. It would cost Dr. Paul millions to get this kind of P.R. More people know about him now
    than ever.

I for one plan to boycot Fox and their sponsors. I am cancelling my Direct TV package that contains Fox News.

January 6, 2008 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  17. Jennifer

Good for the New Hampshire GOP. Its encouraging to know that an entity is standing up for what's right and fair.

Why should any candidate who has gotten this far be excluded?

I don't think any of us who support Dr. Paul are surprised by FOX's decision to exclude him. Their actions just further prove the point that FOX's media monopoly is threatened by the presence of Dr. Paul, and hoping that he will just go away by denying him equal access.

Since Rupert Murdoch isn't secretive about his political biases and efforts to direct the so-called "opinions" and slant of his media holdings, it is obvious that FOX doesn't care what the majority of people think. This situation is no different. Murdoch and FOX are banking on the gullability and political disinterest of the majority of Americans, and hoping that we will just accept what they spew forth without question. That time has come and gone; candidates like Ron Paul are re-awakening the American spirit and our political inquisitiveness. Watch out, FOX. We're on to you. Thanks for the confirmation.

January 6, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  18. Grant Walker

As an Australian I couldn't be more dissapointed with our most important (not in a good way) export Rupert Murdoch. He is really treating the American people with total disrespect. When a news corp. spends money on convincing the public that it is fair and balanced, I think that says it all. Do not lose faith in the news America, there are some good guys out there, but you need to choose wisely. I wish Ron Paul the best of luck and I agree that this probably helps Ron Paul is some bizarre way.

January 6, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  19. mfg

Fair and balanced?

January 6, 2008 04:26 am at 4:26 am |
  20. Brittan C. Kenyon

How can Fox decide who is in or out? It shouldnt even be up them. What a joke this country has become. Are you telling me the Fox network is in charge of our next president? I really think it is time for some real change. This country is going down the tubes and fast unless we find a real leader. Why would Fox News exclude anyone? I think it's time to break up the monopoly and get rid of Fox News for good.

January 6, 2008 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  21. Brittan C. Kenyon

Fox should have no decision in who will be in or out. Are you telling me that the news networks are going to decide our next president? What has happened to this country?

January 6, 2008 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  22. john dessoye

Ron Paul 2008!

bottom line.

January 6, 2008 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  23. Ron

I'd like to take this opportunity to personally thank Rupert Murdoch and the entire Faux News staff. Thier blatant act of unforeseen stupidity has garnered more attention for Ron Paul than could ever have been attained with his inclusion in the debate. It has also shown the true nature of what a sham thier " Fair and Balanced " statement represents. A lot of people are mad about this situation but, for myself, I can't stop laughing !

January 6, 2008 05:03 am at 5:03 am |
  24. Wade Keeler

What's left of the democratic process in this country is slowly disappearing. I have always felt that the lesser known candidates were left out while the rich and famous got all the press. Now, the media wants to decide for us who is the right candidate for president. The American people are not that stupid. I think this little trick is going to backfire and increase support for Ron Paul.

January 6, 2008 05:07 am at 5:07 am |