January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. goldenkee

I have a new household policy, " no watching the Fox News channel." And I can assure Fox News, the "No watch" policy will not change. I had my four year old grand daughter enter a Parental lock code on Fox News channel. I have no idea what the code is and and frankly neither does she. The way I "see it", I won't be missing much.

January 6, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  2. Thomas Howard

To exclude Ron Paul from the FOX NEWS debate is PROOF they are scared of his popularity. Don't let this once in a lifetime chance of electing an HONEST politician slip by. VOTE FOR RON PAUL and AMERICA

January 6, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  3. Jim

I think the NH Republican Party did the right thing by withdrawing from the Fox News debate. Fox should not be prematurely deciding who the Republican nominee should be. That decision belongs to the people of New Hampshire.

January 6, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. RonPaulIsAnAntisemite

Kudos to Fox for leaving the anti-semite out.

By the way, the rules they set forth were as follows: those invited must be polling nationally over %10. Ron Paul, most decidly is not.

January 6, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  5. Douadavid

Hillary Clinton is the smartest presidential candidate in both party. She will win the primary and general election. She is not only talk and talk but walk and walk too. Vote for Hillry and we will have brighter future for USA. Hillay ! HHHHHHiiiiiilllllaaaaary for President.

January 6, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  6. New CNN viewer

WOW!!! I just want to cried. I have been a loyal viewer of Fox News Channel for so long and I just dont remember the last time I have watched other news channels.

I believe Fox News has made a big mistake for excluding Ron Paul in their live debate. Well lets all start using what we learned in school about supply and demand. No demand for Fox News!

January 6, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  7. Lee

Fox News is no longer a legitimate news outlet for news. They are a propaganda arm of the Bush neo-cons. To exclude a candidate who is polling as high as Ron Paul is nothing more than blatant censorship.

Fox news could care less whether I watch their programs in the future, but their sponsors, Toyota Motors, for instance, will care when I inform them that I won't be buying ANY more Toyotas. I own two presently. The last one I bought was my eighth. It IS my last purchase from them. I suggest everyone identify Fox's sponsors for this debate, and tell them who you WON'T be buying from in the future..

January 6, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  8. Luis

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

-Gandhi

January 6, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  9. Seth Joyce

Lets all make sure we remember how Fox has tried to censor the revolution. We will not forget.

January 7, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  10. Disgusted and Outraged

I am glad they pulled their support from FOX. I am disgusted by their censorship of Ron Paul, the best person to run this country as far as I'm concerned. I am from this point on no longer watching any of the FOX channels or any of their affiliates or purchasing any products put out by them. They are a bunch of hypocrits in my book. "Fair and Balance"......."We Report, You Decide" all a bunch of HOGWASH! And O'Reilly is the biggest LIAR and BULLY on their. I can't believe how disrespectful and rude they are to their "Guests." They bring these people on there, ask a question, and before the guest can answer, they start yelling, cut them off and slander and insult them. What kind of REPORTING is THAT!?! I hope everyone switches to another channel and their ratings tank and they get pulled off the air.

January 7, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  11. Jenn

Kudos to CNN tonight for re-airing the ABC debate during the Fox Debate.

January 7, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  12. Arthur

Fox News justified removing Ron Paul from the forum because he is not scoring double digits nationally. What??? Has not every single pundit been saying national polls do not matter. Whats matters is the results in the early states. Paul got 10% in Iowa, and is predicted to do even better in NH. Once again Fox News is telling people who to vote for.

January 7, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  13. Ryan

If there is ever a riot and all order falls through I got Britt Hume and Chris Wallace on my radar.

January 7, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  14. T. Russell Hunter

The Ron Paul Revolution has opened my eyes to the utter falsity that is the claim of being Fair and Balanced which Fox News claims. I am ashamed that I used to be so fooled. Go CNN! Keep covering the real news. This is bigtime! And make a big deal out of it after Paul finishes in the top three in NH.

January 7, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  15. Anthony

Was the entire event scripted like a pro wrestling match? Even the Frank Luntz group appears to be staged. Look at this image where they use the same "undecided" voters repeatedly.

Photo:

January 7, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  16. Anonymous

Not one of those "Presidential" candidates that went ahead and took part in the rigged fox debate have any moral principles in them. If they truly believed in the government that our constitution laid out "For the people, by the people" then they would have insisted on all of the legitimate runners be allowed to participate. This includes Paul and Hunter.
    Wake up people! None of these "front runners" are worth two cents. They are truly in this for themselves, their egos depend on it. Their bid for the White House is all about their personal power, it has nothing to do with an understanding and commitment to uphold our constitution and to be a servant of the people. All of them, Gulliani, Romni, Huckabee, McCain and Thompson showed their true colors. It's all about "me" and not about having a stronger republic, or to form a more perfect union. It is a political game to them and they have convinced themselves that they are worthy of the position of President, but yet have no moral conviction to stand on and certainly they have no understanding of freedom and liberty of the people.
    Only Dr. Paul, who does not pride himself on rhetoric, or personality persuasion, but who has studied Free Market Economics, knows and supports the constitution and give only facts and not mindless beliefs as his basis for credentials, is worthy of the office of President of The United States of America.

January 7, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  17. Tammy

January 7, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  18. Michigan

Well we shouldnt be surpised at the lengths taken to stomp our rights to a fair and free election.. But we can turn this around by sending boycott letters to all of fox channels advertisors informing them that we will boycott their products untill they stop advertising on any fox channel or media outlet

January 7, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  19. Gwen

Fox News and BBC used to be the only news I would watch. Now, Fox News has been taken out of that, and CNN added. CNN has given Ron Paul a lot more coverage than others it seems(mainstream that is), and Fox News has betrayed all Conservatives.

January 7, 2008 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  20. goldenkee

I have a new household policy, " no watching the Fox News channel." And I can assure Fox News, the "No watch" policy will not change. I had my four-year-old grand daughter enter a Parental lock code on Fox News channel. I have no idea what the code is and frankly neither does she. The way I "see it", I won't be missing much.

January 7, 2008 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  21. John - Spokane, WA

Thank You! to the NHGOP for rightfully withdrawing support for Fox's obvious attempt to lock out Ron Paul's views . But with the ENORMOUS flap that the Fox exclusion has caused (including a long term boycott of Fox advertisers), why isn't CNN featuring this as a Front/Home page link?? This story is instead buried in the back page "Politics" news/discussions on CNN. C'mon CNN, you need to recognize and/or acknowledge the significance of this story and not underestimate the HUGE groundswell of Ron Paul supporters (who have a laser focus on Press distortions and manipulation)...

January 7, 2008 05:47 am at 5:47 am |
  22. Peter Glickman

My congratulations to the NH Republican Party for their respect for democracy and their courage. My thanks to CNN for honest coverage. My condemnation for Fox–They distort and we suicide is more like it.

January 7, 2008 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  23. ScotteD

Fox and anyone that works for their news department should be ashamed.

January 7, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  24. William Whatley

Thank God for CNN. I was almost fooled by fox news into believing they had the corner on the news in this country. Fair and balanced my rear end. I blocked their channels on my TV last night and will refuse to ever pay any attention to the Facists or neo-cons who run that media company again!

CNN is the fair and balanced place to watch the news!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  25. Jim

Samantha quoted: "The network has said it invited candidates who had received double-digit support"

Does $19.5 million raised in the last quarter qualify as double digit support? Does 10% of the vote in Iowa count as double-digit support?

What is it about Ron Paul's message that makes you comfortable with a news outlet censoring which candidates people are exposed to? Is it really a good trade off? If you think Ron Paul is wrong, and you don't want him to win, then best thing you can do is let him be heard. By attempting to hold your hand over his mouth you only raise the case that his message is threatening to the status quo and that you fear his message will spread if only given the chance.

If you think his message is that powerful, then I think we have something in common after all.

January 7, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |