January 5th, 2008

Granite State Republicans pull debate support

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - The New Hampshire Republican Party announced Saturday that it was withdrawing as a partner of Sunday’s primary debate on FOX because of the exclusion of two GOP presidential hopefuls.

"The first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary serves a national purpose by giving all candidates an equal opportunity on a level playing field. Only in New Hampshire do lesser known, lesser funded underdogs have a fighting chance to establish themselves as national figures,” New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen said in a statement.

“The New Hampshire Republican Party believes Congressmen Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter should be included in the FOX forum on Sunday evening. Our mutual efforts to resolve this difference have failed."

Supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter had complained over the exclusion of both men from Sunday night’s debate, the final faceoff before Tuesday’s primary.

–CNN's Sareena Dalla and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Duncan Hunter • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. RustyO[918]

Congrats to he New Hampshire Republican Party for having the backbone to stand up for themselves.

It such a shame on how low the Fox news network has sank.

January 5, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Kyle J

Seems to me that most of the people where i live ARE Ron Paul supporters, I dont see how he isnt showing up the polls. I live in the midwest where people are very pro-war conservative and he is more popular than Huckabee and Thompson which are the only candidates that i hear people talking about besides Paul. I dont think these polls are correct saying he is at 5%, It seems more like 25-35% and half of which are Very strong supporters.

January 5, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. Jonathan

Thank you to the New Hampshire Republican Party for pulling its support for the FOX GOP debate. Fair and balanced FOXNEWS? I dont think so. Ron Paul for President in 2008!

January 5, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. Tod Hunter Foulk

when u can't beat them.........villify, ignore, and dismiss them!
    no point lying to my child any more about how our democratic process is the best and most fair in the world.

not that diebolt didnt teach her the converse already.

January 5, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Jon

I am personally boycotting Fox and all of those who sponsor such filth. Fox has really shown us all what their true agenda is, and that is to propagandize the American people! Fair and balanced my @ss!

January 5, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  6. chris

Shame on you. Ron Paul is the only canidate that stands up for America.
    Please listen and read about Ron paul. Check out the others and you will find they are bad.

January 5, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. Vaccination Nation

I am furious that FAUX NEWS did not include Ron Paul in the debates. Just goes to show that Ron Paul scares them to death. Oh by the way...Since Kilmead and Dussey made fun of the college kid that got tasered...."Don't Tase Me Bro" .....I don't watch FAUX NEWS anyway. Sometimes I just cannot believe how horrible people are. I want to thank CNN Headline News and Glenn Beck for giving Ron Paul an hour on Becks show and ask them to do that again.

January 5, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. Cliff

In my opinion maybe Iran should invade us and give us some of that 'democracy' we are always bombing other countries about.

January 5, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. Lee Fisk

It's repulsive that they would censor Ron Paul in such a malicious manner. Dr. Paul has raised more money in fundraising than any other GOP candidate, is the most consistent, has never accepted money from Lobbyists, and has the fiscal education and background to fix this nations failing economy. A true defender of the Constitution, given the nick name of Dr. No on Capital Hill. Fox is doing nothing more than embarrassing itself, and tarnishing its reputation; and for what? To stack the deck in favor of one of 'their' guys? It's repugnant.

January 5, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Josh

I am a Nielson houshold and every since I heard Faux News was excluding Ron Paul I've had my T.V. on CNN almost non-stop. In the past I would watch Faux News (for entertainment purposes of course) but never again. I have also called Fox News sponsors and told them why I would no longer purchase their products and services. I also canceled my Nextel account and told them why I was doing it!

January 5, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. Breane D

I'm glad to hear that the NH GOP withdrew their support for the Fox News Forum. All candidates should get an equal opportunity to share their political views with the American people, and that should include Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter. Fox News' "Fair and Balanced" theme is nothing but a gimic to get viewers to tune in.

January 5, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. johanna

I can only imagine where Ron Paul would be in the polls if he was getting as much face time in the news as some of the other canidates are getting. The media plays such a HUGE roll in politics, and who is heard about more or less. Lets just hope things turn around for Mr.Paul- I'm not sure I could handle another president that "Wears his religion on his sleve" like Huckabee. Separation of church and state-what ever happened to that?

January 5, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  13. Amy Karns

I feel proud of the NH GOP for taking a stand against this corrupt action by Fox News. I wonder who bought out FOX?

January 5, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  14. Brandon

Is anyone surprised by FOX? FOX will always run things its way, and say what it wants to hear. Thank God it's only begun!

RON PAUL REVOLUTION – 2008!!!

January 5, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. DT, Comstock Park, MI

It's about time someone stood up and stated that all candidates should deserve equal time, so that the voters get a true chance to decide, not FOX News, News Corp., or the Bill O'Reilly's, et al. of the world.

No matter which candidate a citizen supports, we should all agree that every candidate deserves the chance to show us who they are, so that we as voters get to make a real decision, not one based on what the media, polls, etc. tell us. That is what ought to make a democracy, and it's a shame that many media outlets do their best (or should we say their worst?) to ensure we hear their views, rather than giving us an unbiased chance to make decisions and create views of our own.

January 5, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Thomas

It's not like anyone takes Fox seriously anyway.

January 5, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. Mike Chase

It's encouraging that there has been a response to this type of exclusion. I could understand the exclusion of a candidate such as Duncan Hunter, cenrtainly Mike Gravel or even Dennis Kucinich, but for a candidate with such justified and obviously supported views as Ron Paul – it seems dangerous to true democracy for an exclusion in televised debates to go un-noticed or un-answered. I'm glad support was pulled and hope that other networks do not follow in FoxNews' footsteps with such a blatant disregard for viewers.

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  18. Orlando Chicago, IL

I am very sad and angry that dispite the efforts of the New Hampshire Republican Party, Fox News is STILL not letting Ron Paul into their debate so he can expose Mike Huckabee for the tax hiking hypocrite that he really is!!!!!!! I am ashamed and disguted for being a Fox viewer and I will no longer watch Fox News until they announce that they will be giving Ron Paul the coverage and the respect that he deserves!

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  19. Mr Wright

This proves that there are different news authorities that are all about broadcasting the type of news that THEY want you to hear and know about. The fact of the matter is, THEY have been doing it for years. Trying to brainwash the american people into believing their agenda is the only option and there is no other choice.

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. Dude Laum

You know, if I were teaching fairness and balance to a journalism class, I would tell them to watch Fox for 15 minutes to see exactly what fair and balance isn't. Perhaps 15 minutes is being a tad generous, but it's no secret to just about everyone outside of Fox news that Fox news is oftentimes, if not all the time, pompus and skewed.

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. JJJames

Dr. Ron Paul's desire to end this war does not suit the FOX campaign to extend the war thus legitimizing its' necessity as a 24 hour News Channel. Peace is not lucrative.

Go ahead and exclude Dr.Paul. The publicity derived from this clearly undeserved exclusion will have a clear ripple effect across the informed America. The Paul campaign is gaining momentum exponentially every day and those who wish to quash that know this better than any other. Exclusion from a debate will not hamper that in the slightest. he people supporting Dr. Paul are amping their efforts and increasing their numbers. A blatant attack like the latest FOX attempt will only cause these supporters more reason to escalate their intensity.

The voice of the people will be heard louder than the impending collapse of the FOX influence.

Have faith in the American resolve

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  22. Matt T

Ron Paul and Duncan both have the same right to be known as the big company backed candidates. And why is football on at the same time the debate is happening, when last week one football game was on 4 stations at once?

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. Michael

FOX's official reason for excluding Dr. Paul is lack of support. Twenty million dollars in three months is a lack of support? I think the real reason is that Dr. Paul threatens the very finacial and media security the FOX empire has, thus excluding him from spreading his message.

Ron Paul 2008 - Hope for America!

January 5, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. Nancy

Kuddos to New Hampshire Repuclican Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's an outrage!!!! All candidates should have equal air time. They don't want people like Ron Paul because he speeks the truth. He is not in bed with corperate America.

It is estimated that Ron Paul has around 7 million internet supporters. I am one of those 7 million and I will be boycotting Fox. Even though it means I will miss the big game. The future of this nation is by far more important than football. My one rating will not be missed by Fox but if Ron Paul supporters would join me we could make a statement they could not ignore.

If America elects anyone other than Ron Paul we are gluttons for our own doom!

God Bless America......no longer the case......God HELP America is more like it.

January 5, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  25. Dutch

As an independent, the FOX News exclusion of the two GOP presidential hopefuls has made me consider Ron Paul as the one I'll vote for as President. It the power elite are so afraid of this man then he must be the right person for the job. I voted for President Bush twice and that was a big mistake. It is time to save this country and restore its soveranty, and liberties for the many not the few.

I do not want a North American Union. I just want my country back.

“Free Trade is the exploitation of cheap foreign labor, allowing for dismantling and liquidation of important segments of the economy, resulting in a middle class squeeze, resulting from falling wages.” By Joe Meyer

Dutch