January 5th, 2008

Huck and Chuck hit the trail in New Hampshire

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Since Mike Huckabee landed in New Hampshire before dawn on Friday, the winner of the Iowa Republican caucuses has rarely been seen without actor Chuck Norris at his side.

At Huckabee's only two events since arriving in the Granite State, chants of "Chuck! Chuck! Chuck!" have broken out. Some in the audience have even admitted to showing up just to see the martial arts star.

But New Hampshire voters clearly want to size up the former Arkansas governor and onetime Baptist minister who won in Iowa largely thanks to a substantial evangelical voting bloc - something New Hampshire doesn’t have.

So in a state whose motto is "Live Free or Die," Huckabee has stuck to issues important to local Republicans - like taxes and small government - and has avoided the more socially conservative topics of abortion, gay marriage and faith that were central to his Iowa stump speech.

Huckabee doesn't expect to win in New Hampshire. A survey taken before the Iowa caucus put him in fourth place, and even though he may see a bounce in the polls thanks to the Iowa victory, Huckabee told reporters on the flight from Iowa that he thinks friend and rival John McCain will win the January 8 primary.

– CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • New Hampshire
  1. Anne - Detroit MI

Shouldn't New Hampshire's motto be changed to Live with Democrats, Die with Democrats? If I want to truly live free of Congress's long arm and wasteful spending, I'd vote for the new crop of conservatives.

January 5, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  2. FAIR TAX,LA.

GEAUX HUCK AND MAKE THE FAIR TAX HAPPEN. MOST DUMMYCRATS AND LIBS DO NOT READ THE FAIR TAX BOOK (S)!! WHAT A SORRY BUNCH THEY ARE!!!

January 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  3. Curtis Johnson

Chuck Norris is a B-List karate guy with a facelift. I find it hilarious that he is Huck's sidekick. Then again, since Huck is a B-List politician who lost 100 lbs by gastric bypass surgery, I can see why they like each other.

January 5, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. Wade

Huckabee and McCain seem to have an ageement the loser of the two will be Vice President.

Hillary over the hill.

January 5, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  5. Anonymous

why is this not comedy?

January 5, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  6. Gundy

Huckabee is a hollywood sell-out. Get rid of Chuck and quit disgracing our country.

January 5, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  7. Rufus, Milwaukee, WI

I'm please that at least for the public press, Huckabot is saying he doesn't expect to win in New Hampshire. Because he won't!

Huckabot's appeal, if in fact one can use that word in reference to him, is the old, tired mantra of the Republicon Party: Flag Burning, Gay-Marriage and Abortion... these issues generally resonate only deeply with the bible-belt crazies, rather than with the rational, real folks in New Hampshire.

January 5, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. Leo

I wasn't sure who I'd vote for in the Rep primaries until tonight, but now I've made up my mind. Romney was the most presidential candidate on the stage.

I was considering Huckabee until he and McCain began the personal barbs aimed at Romney. I guess they figured that landing "zingers" is more important to Americans than substantive debate (which may be true, based on the polls). The hypocrite Huckster said just this week that his campaign would stay positive and not delve into personal attacks. (BTW, Huck…Romney's TV ads in Iowa included no personal attacks, just contrasts between your political records.) I lost all respect for Mike after tonight's showing.

Well, I guess since our party put in a Southern candidate who's low on substance and had little understanding of foreign policy 8 years ago, they'll probably do it again by chosing Huck this year. If Edwards gets the nomination for the Dems, I'll switch over and vote for him.

January 5, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  9. Mrs. America

It's just as well he doesn't plan to win there because he won't, and I hope he has seen his first and last win. It is beyond me how people are once again choosing on the basis of religion after they see what blind faith has cost our country during the Bush admin. What's the saying? Insanity is when you do the same thing over again and expect a different outcome.

January 5, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  10. Wyoming for Romney

Not really, Huck and Chucky on the road together! Will Chuck Norris be Mike's running mate? What is Chucky's position on the important issues of pardons and illegal immigration?

January 6, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  11. Burke

I get a kick out of Huckabee and McCain. First off, all I've seen from Huckabee is his guitar playing and demonizing Romney. Oh yah sorry Chuck Norris, I wondering what your interest is in all of this?? As for John McCain, geez look at him, he looks 90. Time to retire John back to Arizona and relax for a few years.
    I say a Guiliani / Romney ticket would look very good in 08!!

January 6, 2008 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  12. Elliott

quote:
    But New Hampshire voters clearly want to size up the former Arkansas governor and onetime Baptist minister who won in Iowa largely thanks to a substantial evangelical voting bloc — something New Hampshire doesn’t have.

Would you care to cite your source on Huckabee's win being "largely thanks" to an "evangelicals voting bloc"?

Thanks!

January 6, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  13. Harold Bishop, NH

I've always wanted a President with a high kicking chief of staff who can bamboozle foreign members of government with his dazzling teeth.

Ergo, I'll vote for Huckabee.

NOT!!!

January 6, 2008 06:09 am at 6:09 am |
  14. Human

Rep. Ron Paul is hitting the campaign trail in New Hampshire too. I also noticed on the above photo captioned "Dems and Republicans on one stage, briefly" does not include Rep. Ron Paul in the image. He was onstage too, along with all the others.
    CNN showing it's Corporate agenda once again.
    Peace.

January 6, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  15. Roy

Pastor Huckabee "has avoided the more socially conservative topics of abortion, gay marriage and faith that were central to his Iowa stump speech" because, in NH, he wants to voters to believe there s more to him than a "take this nation back for Christ" neochristian terrorist.

He is no more honest than Romney who tries to convince neochristians he is one of them while he has fond memories of his temple wedding complete with a reenactment of a Protestant Pastor at the side of Satan.

January 6, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. Dan, Saint Louis, MO

Wow. The debates were very telling. McCain came across as a petty, tempermental old man and Huckabee showed his true colors as a dimb-witted hypocrite. Romney really cleaned house in the debate. He stood head-and-shoulders above his rivals as the candidate who can articulate a strong vision about the issues facing America. His rivals' attacks on him looked pathetic, in my opinion. The more I hear from McCain and Huckabee the more I wonder whether they're running for the right party.

Thompson had a good night too, but it's too little too late for him.

January 6, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. Mario

That is right, you huck and then chuck it up! that is all Hickupbee is a thing you throw up becasue he is so watered down, he's more of a lib than a conservative. Old Chuck Norris needs to get a new hair piece and quit trying to make himself look like he is 50 when he's pushing 70!

Go Mitt!

January 6, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. Gerald Fly

I used to be a big fan of Fox news-especially Bill O'reilly. Now since the exclussion of Ron Paul from the NH debate(so much for fair and balanced) I now realize that CNN is the true fair and balanced network. CNN you have gained a new patron!

January 6, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  19. Elliott

Gerald,

So much for reason. Fair and Balanced based on the inclusion of a single candidate? How can you realize this based on a single event? "I now realize that CNN is the true fair and balanced network." What BS! Do you work for CNN?

—E