January 5th, 2008

Richardson has foreign policy flashback

(CNN) - Bill Richardson has made his extensive diplomacy experience a central theme of his campaign – but at Saturday night’s Democratic debate in New Hampshire, the former U.N. ambassador seemed to have a foreign policy flashback, promising to make “negotiations with the Soviet Union” one of his first priorities as president.

Moderator Charles Gibson had asked the candidates what they would do on the day after a nuclear weapon went off over an American city, and what they would have done to prevent it.

The Soviet Union ceased to exist in 1991.

“It was a minor slip. He clearly meant Russia,” said Richardson spokesman Tom Reynolds.

–CNN's Shirley Zilberstein

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Micah, Canon City, CO

God I'm glad somebody notices this other than me. There's a big question mark by it on my notes.

January 6, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  2. jv

Go Bill Richardson.

Make hispanics proud.

January 6, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  3. Rob

Richardson looked like Porky Pig with bad Hair.

January 6, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  4. Harold Bishop, NH

Oh give the guy a break!!

January 6, 2008 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  5. Lisa

The moderator let him ramble on too long on questions.

January 6, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  6. Tom, West Palm Beach, FL

A diplomat is exactly what we need right now. Not a military-industrial complex shill like Hillary, or phonies like Obama and Edwards who will say anything to get elected.

Out of all four on stage, Richardson is by far the best choice with regard to foreign policy. So therefore like Kucinich and Gravel before him, he will obviously be the next to be pulled out of the debates.

January 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. brian

While I am losing hope that American will realize what a great president Bill Richardson would make, he certainly has distinquished himself as the candidate with the most foreign policy experience. And that is despite the gaffe. Obama/Richardson? Edwards/Richardson? Either would have my vote.
    He also had the best line of the night – "I've been in hostage negotiations that were more civil than this", he said, after Clinton when on a mild tirade.

January 6, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  8. SANDRA KANE

I agree with Harold – give Richardson a break – and I also think he deserves more press coverage than he has received to date. I have a greater appreciation for the man after watching last night's debates on ABC. He is far more knowledgeable and experienced then I had realized and was definitely more classy than some – choosing to accentuate his abilities rather than cast verbal stones at the other candidates. Hang in Bill – and good luck!

January 6, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. Patty D.

So here we go again. A minor slip of the tongue and the right-wingers will jump all over it. Bill Richardson has vast diplomatic experience. If the right-wingers jump on it, it shows you how desperate they are.

January 6, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. James, Houston,TX.

Charles Gibson a moderator for "ABC" appears to know only what is printed in the NY Times, Murdoch's Newspaper. Charlie, look Up Scalar Wave Defense! Give Up on the Dick Cheney Scare Tactics.

January 6, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. Chris, Middletown, CT

I liked when they pointed out he was in New Hampshire 20 years ago as energy secretary....and touted the same rhetoric then....he was ineffective....and would continue to be....

January 6, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Rob

I have had a comment since 2:35 AM. CNN continues its rolr of censor on these blogs

January 6, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. SANDRA KANE

My pro-Richardson comment has been "awaiting moderation" since 3:03 pm ET – what gives?

January 6, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  14. Julie Overvig

If you wanted our future President to have a strong vast knowledge of foreign affairs, Iowa took care of that ,( not happening), Watching the latest debate in New Hamphire last night, it was so clear it needed Joe Biden's knowledge and experience, but I forgot this year "in voque", is so called "CHANGE".

January 6, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  15. Mike

Richardson is the only candidate with foreign policy experience. Give the guy a break! Obama claims he has the most experience because he lived in another country when he was 10 year old. Hell, I could be his Secretary of State because I had a layover in France for 3 hours....I not only am I an expert on the French now, but I also have an indepth understanding of all the countries represented by the people who walked pasted me.

January 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  16. threeriverscrossing, Raleigh, North Carolina

It is interesting how some point the finger at Bill Richardson for the current rise in oil?

Bill Richardson has not been Secretary of Energy for the last 7 years, what has the Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham and Samuel Bodman been doing in the last 7 years?

Bill Richardson actually negotiated with OPEC to raise oil production which resulted in lower prices during his tenure.

The facts are Bill Richardson is not accountable for the current rise in oil prices, Secretary Bodman is, and the current Secretary of Energy, and who is part of an administration that believes in the free market.

Pointing the finger at Bill Richardson for the current rise in oil price is lame and meaningless.

January 8, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |