January 5th, 2008

Tight race in New Hampshire, post caucus poll shows

O'Reilly got into a confrontation with an Obama staffer Saturday.

Clinton and Obama are dead even in New Hampshire, a new poll shows.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - With three days to go until the New Hampshire primary, it’s dead even in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

A new CNN/WMUR New Hampshire presidential primary poll conducted by the University of New Hampshire has Senators Hillary Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois all tied up, with each grabbing the support of 33 percent of likely Democratic primary voters in the Granite State.

Former Senator John Edwards of North Carolina is in third place with 20 percent. (Full poll results [PDF])

“Both Obama and Edwards appear to have benefited form the Iowa caucuses. Each picked up 3 points in New Hampshire. Clinton lost one point, since our last poll taken before the caucuses,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider.

The new CNN/WMUR survey was conducted Friday and Saturday, after the Iowa caucuses.

Full story

Related video: N.H. Poll: Clinton, Obama tied

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. Eddie W.

Food for thought:
    In many parts of this world women are looked upon as 2-3rd class individuals and can`t show their faces to the world....so how do you fiqure that Senator Clinton is going to be able to stare down those persons who condone the above notions / laws?The leaders of other countries has put up with Connie Rice from Bushs` office ,but she has accomplished nothing (a case in point) in making this world a better place. Certainly there are other female leaders in the world, but they don`t lead a country as complex as this one.Senator Clinton comes with no experience either...what she knows comes by way of her husband and what she does know won`t translate into a better world . I for one hate polls...they never poll the people I know or even takes the the time to poll me .....so.......I`ll go with my gut feeling as always....I choose OBAMA for the next 4 year( probation term ).If things don`t improve...I will be the 1st to vote to fire him.

January 5, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. FAIR TAX,LA.

wow-these people scare me!!

January 5, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. Fred, Walnut Creek, CA

Rasmussen has Obama up by 10 points (37% to 27%)...wonder why CNN doesn't show those poll numbers?

January 5, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  4. MES

Obama, in style, confidence, rhetoric, charisma, and jazz, seems to be the true air of Bill Clinton as a politician, consensus builder, and leader. If Bill were not married to Hillary, I suspect he would have supported Obama.

Obama represents my world and that of my children - inter-racial, inter-cultural, international, and high on hope about the future.

As a woman in my fifties, however, I feel guilty about rooting for a man instead of the first viable woman we have had. I never dreamed that I would do that after waiting so long for a woman and after being until now an ardent fan of the Clintons (I would still support Bill for a third term if I could!)– but Obama's words are compelling and I will betray my gender for his optimism and energy. And I see Bill's style in him, the same style that invoked passion and hope in me oh so many years ago . . .

If these poll results of a tie between Clinton and Obama are true, wow! We will have a President whose name in itself signals a new, complex, and multi-faceted world! Alterity has never been so enticing.

January 5, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  5. chris

WITH BOTH CLINTON AND OBAMA TIED AT 33 PERCENT, IT SHOWS THAT IF THEY REMAINED TIED TILL TUESDAY, OBAMA WILL COME OUT VICTORIOUS, EVERY INDICATION SHOWS THAT. CLINTON WAS LEADING IN IOWA TILL CACAUSE DAY BUT STILL LOST BY 8 POINT, THIS TIME, IT IS NOT GOING TO BE CLOSE AS OBAMA WILL BLOW HER AWAY. OBAMA IS FOR THE FUTURE, CLINTON THE PAST. OBAMA CARRIES THE DAY IN NEW HAMPSHIRE COME TUESDAY.

January 5, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  6. Uma, mpls, MN

Hillary will win NH with 10%-20% margin.

January 5, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. Patricia Wiley

Dear CNN: I am a CNN fan – big time! I very seldom change the channel to another station.
    I would like to comment on the political race for President. I cannot for the like of me understand why Hillary Clintin is running? If all it takes, is to be the wife of a ex President, Mrs. Carter, Mrs. Reagon, Mrs. Laura Bush – all could claim they have the experience to be President. As far as the short period that she has as a Senator – she is very Junior and this is not impressive as experience.
    I have almost lost all respect for the USA Government with George W. Bush at the helm. I would lose all respect if Hillary Clinton was elected.!!
    She is too ambitious personally and strikes me as a woman with grandiose ideas. A woman President is not what the USA needs right now. The rest of the world and their leaders are already laughing at the suggestion of Hillary Clinton as President.
    Let us hope and pray that Obama will flatten her at the polls. He is a dynamic man and would make a great President!!!

January 5, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. carol

Obama for change?!? He voted to expand military expansionism and Homeland Security. His top advisor is Zbigniew Brzezinski who created the whole Afghan Jihad movement which produced OSAMA BIN LADEN!! You don't believe it? Do the research and you will find it to be absolutely true!!!! If you are going to vote for change at least vote for the correct canidate not someone who is packaging himself as a symbol for change.

January 5, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  9. Wanko

From the millionaire Governor Romney to the 47 million unsured Americans - YOU WILL REMAIN UNINSURED UNLESS YOU DECIDE TO "PLAY" BALL. That is shockinly insensitive for a guy who wants to led the country - the assumption that these unsured American, some of whom I have had the opportnity to meet and treat as a physician are to be entirely blamed for their misfortune.

January 5, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. Bimmer

Obama Weak for Fighting Terrorism

As already debated in the Republican debate tonght in New Hampshire, the knock on Obama is his weakness on fighting terrorism. As a Canadain we rely on US to take the lead on fighting this threat, the greatest threat the US and the Western World is facing since the second World War.

One decision and one commnet Obama made strengthen the arguments that he will be very soft on this critical threat, presumably because of his Muslim heritage.

1. His deceision not to support Iraq war when all the intelligence indicated Iraq had WMD clearly showed his unwillingness to attack a Muslim country. Unless he had a private communication line with Saddam Hussein, he would have no way of knowing Iraq got rid of all of its WMD.

2. His willingness to sit down with the the current Iranian President, who wants the destruction of Israel and the western world. unconditionally is an indication that Obama is sympathetic to the Islamic world and not to the western world.

No amount of call for "change" and "hope" can hide the fact that Obama, if elected, will be very soft on terrorism and one issue the Repulican can will tear him apart on.

January 5, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  11. Marge

I may not like the way he bashes Hillary all the time, but i do not believe Bill O'Reilly would ever do such a stupid thing as to push a staffer around. See how the media can make up such bull pucky. Go get em Bill!!!!

January 5, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  12. jewel minneapolis mn

I was just wondering why we hear so much negative on clinton and not obama? i have yet to hear any hard questions thrown at him? He keeps talking on and on about change,but not what he will do about it. Not to mention he didnt vote on issues so how are we suppose to know even where he stands on them.Another thing I find interesting is that bloggers with names like John,Bill, Tom defend him with passion about how he is going to change america and then change the world.When you read the blogs the language they use is not english .Whats up with that?

January 5, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  13. David Gonzalez

I think Clinton will pull it off in New Hampshire. If Obama is the Dem nominee and if McCain if the Republican nominee, Hispanics like me will vote for McCain. If Romney is the nominee, we will have a tough choice to make.

January 5, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  14. Marge

I truly believe that all the male candidates all had a plan to attack Hillary from day one. The news, the commentators on cnn and fox also.First it was her hair, then it was her laugh, then it was her dress. She was even called ugly. All you woman out there are still comdeming her for standing by her man. Who the hell are you to talk. Better check up on your husbands ladies. Then comment. Plezzzzzzzz don't tell me you would't forgive your husband if something like that happened to you. It's long over. Give the woman a break will ya. She has the experience we need to lead this country. We need change and she's the one who will give us that change. I f you vote for her rival, your voting for another bush-God forbid!!!

January 5, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. Scott, Milford, CT

Here's your chance New Hampshire....stick a fork in her...she's done!

Go John Edwards!

January 5, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  16. GREG KLINE

Obama excells in that he is nowhere near as polarizing as Hillary. I personally know numerous Republicans that like Obama, while having a quite visceral reaction to Hillary. This country needs to heal, and Obama readily shows the capacity to do so. And while Hillary continues to deliver lifeless stump speeches, Obama speaks extemporaneously from the heart. In essence, Hillary is the poll-chasing status quo corporate candidate, who pays lip service to what people care about, and it shows. By contrast, Obama has the spark of being the "real deal", an honest man on a mission, who seems to truly care. And his platform is sound. He's not just talking change, but the right changes at the right time with sincerity. While polls are dubious, they consistently show that currently, Obama could beat any of the Republican challengers. That clinches my vote. Go Barky-O Go!

January 5, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  17. James L.

If Obama wins the Dem nomination, I believe Hillary will run as an independent in the general election.

January 5, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  18. WindowPane

The Demoncrats always get "top billing"? Where are the Republicans? Bios reporting shows who the Mainstream Media are supporting!

January 5, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  19. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

Get to work Sen. Clinton, we now have a primary. Sen Obama has the passion to deliver a very good speech, but I believe that Sen. Clinton has the hustle to out-work him for the primary. may the best candidate win! GO HILLARY!!!

January 5, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  20. someone

that is ..... interesting to say the least.

January 5, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  21. Don

If these polls shake out anything like the Iowa polls, then expect Obama to win in a landslide.

January 5, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  22. Shannon, Charlottesville, Virginia

i have watched many of his campaign rallies on youtube, and i like what he has to say–inspirational, restores my hope that we can undue the damage and put the nation back on track: obey the constitution, bring our troops home, reclaim ownership of our nation from lobbyists. as obama said, vote for him and in 2009 he would, "declare to the world that america is back." hillary is smart, but cheney and rumsfeld had experience, too. another bush or clinton is probably the choice of status quo. i choose change and hope. america is sick of divisiveness and politics of fear. and if america stands for justice, the bush administration should be held accountable for any crimes–i can't image improving our reputation unless we do.

"we're not a nation of red states and blue states, we're a united states of america." - barack obama

January 5, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. chance

I believe that Hillary will come back and win NH-I think it's tome to stick a fork in Obama-Edwards don't have a prayer-Hillary will be READY

January 5, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  24. Todd in PA

Hillary is in alot of trouble. She is nobody's "second choice". You either love her (and support her already) or don't. So when the second tier candidates and Edwards are finally forced out of the race, those supporters are sure to gravitate to Obama.

She needs to hit a home run in NH, because if Obama lingers he's just going to gain momentum...

January 5, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  25. Ron Nebraska

Barack Obama is really the only choice we have to wash away the stink that was the Bush/Cheney administration. These chances for great change in our country come along only so often ( think Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt), it would be a tremendous travesty to miss this opportunity to put America right again. Please vote Obama, I want to be proud of my country again before I die!

January 5, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |