January 5th, 2008

Tight race in New Hampshire, post caucus poll shows

O'Reilly got into a confrontation with an Obama staffer Saturday.

Clinton and Obama are dead even in New Hampshire, a new poll shows.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - With three days to go until the New Hampshire primary, it’s dead even in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

A new CNN/WMUR New Hampshire presidential primary poll conducted by the University of New Hampshire has Senators Hillary Clinton of New York and Barack Obama of Illinois all tied up, with each grabbing the support of 33 percent of likely Democratic primary voters in the Granite State.

Former Senator John Edwards of North Carolina is in third place with 20 percent. (Full poll results [PDF])

“Both Obama and Edwards appear to have benefited form the Iowa caucuses. Each picked up 3 points in New Hampshire. Clinton lost one point, since our last poll taken before the caucuses,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider.

The new CNN/WMUR survey was conducted Friday and Saturday, after the Iowa caucuses.

Full story

Related video: N.H. Poll: Clinton, Obama tied

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: New Hampshire
  1. kate

I am a 50 year old life long Democrat who has actively manned phones , worked campaigns and gone door to door in my heavily Republican area to get the Democratic nominees elected.
    I have faced verbal abuse and threats and had doors slammed in my face.
    If either Obama or Clinton gets the nomination I will register as an Independent and may not vote for the Presidential candidate at all except to write in JOHN EDWARDS!

I have NEVER missed an election.
    I have WEPT over election returns.
    If Edwards is not the Democratic Nominee I will support NO Democratic candidate.
    I have drawn my line in the sand.
    If the party is so misled then I am no longer a Democrat.
    The party no longer will represent me and my interests.
    And that is not without historical precedence.
    After all Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt would , by todays standards be raving Liberals, were Republicans !
    I AM AN ANGRY MIDDLE CLASS DEMOCRAT!!!And if the party fails to represent me I will DESERT IT as it has deserted me and my interests.

January 5, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Don

I agree rasmussein poll out today most accurately reflects post iowa caucaus....has Obama ahead by 10pts

January 5, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  3. almanojodo

For integrity, problem-solving skills proven outside the Washington beltway, a strong position on illegal immigration, and the expertise to strengthen our economy the best man is Mitt Romney!

January 5, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  4. kwame

Yes, Hillary has done it. She won the debate tonight. She showed maturity and expanded on how to change things by what you do and not by hope or persuasion.As I will always say, Democrats will be making a big mistake in nominating Obama. He will drop in the polls with only one GOP campaign commercial

January 5, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. jorge thompson

Hillary Clinton 08 !

January 5, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  6. Mrs. America

So much for Edwards talking like Clinton was out of the race after his ultra razor thin win over her in Iowa. Wishful dreaming on his part. She won't go away that easy, but Edwards is on his last leg. I used to feel like any of the top three contenders would be good as president. I'm beginning to get real tired of the way Edwards treats other people and will be glad to see him drop out of the race after NH.

January 5, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  7. Leo

I wasn't sure who I'd vote for in the Rep primaries until tonight, but now I've made up my mind. Romney was the most presidential candidate on the stage.

I was considering Huckabee until he and McCain began the personal barbs aimed at Romney. I guess they figured that landing "zingers" is more important to Americans than substantive debate (which may be true, based on the polls). The hypocrite Huckster said just this week that his campaign would stay positive and not delve into personal attacks. (BTW, Huck…Romney's TV ads in Iowa included no personal attacks, just contrasts between your political records.) I lost all respect for Mike after tonight's showing.

Well, I guess since our party put in a Southern candidate who's low on substance and had little understanding of foreign policy 8 years ago, they'll probably do it again by chosing Huck this year. If Edwards gets the nomination for the Dems, I'll switch over and vote for him.

January 5, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  8. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

We need change.... and as far from Bush as we can get.... Obama is the man.....

Hillary may be ok but she's too tied in to the establishment that's run this country since the 80s. We need a clean break from and and all Clintons and Bushes.... forever.

Obama (and possibly Edwards) are the only major players who represent CHANGE..... so NO to Hillary, Huckabee, Romney, McCain and that skull-faced Guliani. They're all tied up with Clinton-Bush and the conservative christian movement.

WE NEED CHANGE

January 5, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  9. Dee Ward Mena, AR

Your exactly right Harold. The Clintons have done more for this country then anyone in modern history. She has the experience and the qualifications to do a great job and she will do it. As for the person that says CNN works for Hillary all of the time, they must watch a different CNN then I do as I think they have been her worse enemy. Especially Jack Cafferty and Lou Dobbs who used to be my favorites until they because so biased. They are suppose to be professionals and not show their personal opinions but Jack Cafferty has gone after Hillary and praised obama continually and that is not professional in my judgement. That's ok Jack, she will still win and when we have the Clintons back in the White House this country will start back in the right direction.

January 5, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  10. seg

Why would our country pick THIS election to gamble on someone who doesn't know how DC operates?

Balancing the budget FOR A CHANGE would fix a lot.

January 5, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  11. William Gainesville, FL

I am sorry Herold, but Hillary Clinton is a different person than Bill Clinton. The two are not the same. I also find the comment that you made about the "Republicans are trying to set the party up for failure" OFFENSIVE. You, sir, are setting this party up for failure by supporting Hillary Clinton. She is not electable and millions of Americans, from both side of the aisle, have clearly stated that they WILL NOT vote for her.

Barack Obama, on the other hand, is popular with not just Democrats, but independents and republicans as well. I feel sorry for you that your vision is so warped....you really ought to open your eyes and realize that our next president, Barack Obama, is the only candidate in the running who can unite our deeply divided nation.

January 5, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  12. Ricardo

Am I the only one that thinks that this is just non sense? I mean I want the change and I'm sure that most of the people want a change but give me a break the answer is not the rethoric and theoretical candidate because "the hell floor is pavimented with good intentions". Jimmy Carter anyone? This is not a matter of race or not, nor a matter of gender or a matter of likeability it's about who's the best person to lead this country during both the nice and difficult times. And I'm completely sure the answer is not Obama.

January 5, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  13. mark

I,m a little familiar with some of the things that Hillary has done. She is a strong woman when youtake into content the things that she has had to endure. Hillary is a very well rehearsed politician. It is because of this that i am afraid that she will fall in line with the same old service and mind set we the public have always received from our elected officials. However with Obama the country is receiving a sense of anew, a feeling of trust and hope. I personally feel that this person could be the change that America has been looking for in our leaders.

January 5, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  14. Stop the Iraq war NOW

Herold, you are a smart man, and I couldn't agree with you more. I am a white woman, and I do live 3 hours away in Illinois from whence Obama started (Chicago). A lot of Illinois Denocrats in Illinois are "Obama crazy" mostly, but I'M going for Senator Hillary Clinton, because of her previous experience. I, too, want the Clinton legacy to continue. Her husband got the National Debt paid down, and people prospered when he was in office. People cared more. I want our country to get back on that track-fiscally conservative and socially upright ethically towards people of different cultures in this country. I want our country to be respected in the world again. I want our troops HOME NOW, and I want the money spent elsewhere brought back to the US to help our OWN needy. Hillary will get things moving from DAY 1 of her Presidency.

Go, Hillary, GO!

January 5, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  15. Janel, St. Paul, MN

I watched the debates tonight, and felt that Senator Obama held his own.

Senator Clinton appeared tired and very much on the defensive. It was interesting that both candidates Edwards and Richardson almost seemed to align themselves with Senator Obama.

I'm praying the senator from New York will hang it up, and let Americans learn more about Senator Obama, who will be a terrific choice for our country.

January 5, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Bill W - PA

Herold – I was also a 6 year US Navy veteran during the Reagan era into the Clinton regime. Reagan FUNDED the military. Clinton did not. When Bill Clinton became president was when the military became underfunded and we had all the problems with F-14s falling out of the sky because of poor maintenance and no funding. So don't give me "we never had more respect than for Bill Clinton". We never had more respect in the military than for RONALD REAGAN. For some reason, Bill Clinton to this day continues to receive credit for much of Ronald Reagans work, and for the life of me, I just don't get it.

January 5, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  17. Paul C, Palmetto Bay, FL

At this point..I don't care..Obama, Edwards or Hillary. Anyone other than another arrogant, borrow and spend, send your son/daughter to war Republican.

January 5, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  18. Bill W - PA

And if you think there won't be scandals if Hillaryis elected, you haven't been paying attention to her campaign so far. Look up Norman Hsu and Peter Paul for starters.

January 5, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  19. HPE

Yeah, I was so disappointed in CNN's poll that got the most publcity that showed the race tied. There were two other polls that had Obama ahead by double digits.

And there were so many polls in which Clinton's lead shrunk incredibly in the last week or so that CNN did not report on because they were waiting on the results of their poll.

January 5, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  20. Christine Atlanta, Ga.

To Herold of Brooklyn,
    Thank you, I agree.
    No matter what the polls say, I'm with Hillary all the way.

January 5, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. Erin

Hi,

I just watched the debates. Edwards, trying to stay in this thing, sees he has a chance if he gets rid of Clinton. So, he teams up with Obama. Poor Hillary. I am rooting for her. I thought she did great and held her own in the debate. I want to get another "Clinton" in office... our country is in dire need to get back to where "Bill" had got us.

My prayers are with her. I hope she can make it past this last tag-team attack by Obama-Edwards. She is our country's salvation people.

~Erin

January 5, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  22. Michael

If Hilliary loses...it will be more about people hating her than "choosing" Barack. The Republicans fear her, many people will not vote for a woman, alot of people worry about her well earned connections in Washington, and some people still have strong dislike for her based on her husband's fumbles during his second term.

The truth is...if Obama wins the Democratic Ticket...he will be facing an opponent that will not necessarily garner the hate that so many people have for Hilliary. When that "hate card" is removed...people will focus on experience, record, and decisions that led to change. When that happens...we will be GUARANTEED another Republican in the White House because Barack Obama is running in style & image....but has no real substance to back up all his talk.

January 6, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  23. Lilly

As a 17 year old Democrat (I will be voting come November), I believe that today's youth (and applies to age demographics across the voting-eligibility spectrum) has it all wrong about the agent for change. I am saddened by their tendencies to get wrapped up in the media frenzy. There is so much distortion going on. I am saddened by the fact that the American public is so easily caught up in the "war" between change and experience. Let us all be more intelligent about the matter and not feed constantly into the one-liners and motifs that the candidates and the press provide us with.

I have deep respect for Obama, but my vote will go to Clinton and I hope she wins in New Hampshire. The current statistical tie has me a little bit worried three days prior to the big day. (!)

January 6, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  24. Jay

Obama's entire platform is one word – CHANGE. But what is the CHANGE? What track record does he bring to the debate? Bush ran on a platform of UNITE and we all know where that went. Bush had no plan and neither does Obama. You can say CHANGE as many times as you like but it takes a plan and action to make it come about. Where are the results? His campaign and Edward's are starting to sound like Reagan's and Bush's, just a series of one liners. No substance, just words.

The lowest poverty level in US history, the strongest economy, and a balanced budget were all CHANGEs brought about during the Clinton administration. It may have been Bill in the office, but Hillary was there every step of the way. That is the CHANGE we need in Washington. We don't need another inexperienced politician and his self appointed henchman (Edwards) mouthing the words. We need results and experience brings results.

January 6, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  25. James

Hillary is old news........more of the same. She doesn't get it. People want change and she isn't it. Remember JFK had virtually no international experience when he was elected and he was one of the most effective Chief Executives we have ever had. Hill has a right to be worried. I don't think 33% tie with Obama is accurate. I think it will shake out in New Hampshire like it did in Iowa. Obama, Edwards, Clinton.

After tonight's debate the obvious choice is between Obama and Edwards. That would make a great ticket!

January 6, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |