January 6th, 2008

Edwards vows to stay in race to convention

ALT TEXT
Sen. John Edwards catches a pass as he shoots baskets in Lebanon, New Hampshire Saturday. (Photo Credit: AP)
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat John Edwards said Sunday he will stay in the presidential race through the party's convention in late August, even if he fails to win any of the early presidential primary states.

"This is the call of my life, and I have no intention of stopping," Edwards said on ABC's This Week. "I'm in this through the convention and to the White House."

Asked specifically if he'd remain a candidate even if he failed to garner a win over the next month, Edwards said, "Absolutely."

The former North Carolina senator and 2004 vice presidential candidate edged out rival Hillary Clinton for second place in the Iowa caucuses Thursday, and a new CNN/WMUR poll taken entirely after Iowa voters weighed in shows a slight bump for Edwards in the Granite State, though he remains in a distant third at 20 percent among like Democratic voters there. Barack Obama, the winner of the Iowa caucuses, and Clinton are tied at 33 percent.

Also Sunday, Edwards denied a formal alliance between himself and Obama against Clinton, but he continued to paint the New York Democrat as symbolic of the status-quo in Washington and called for a two-person debate between himself and Obama.

"Voters here in New Hampshire and in all the future states need an unfiltered debate between the two of us about who can best bring about change," he said.

Related video: Edwards campaigns in N.H.

Related: Poll: Clinton, Obama tied in New Hampshire

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Mark

Is that too hard for the media to swallow? The first 10 or 15 minutes of the NH debate looked like the Obama/Clinton Show.

Finally when Edwards was given a chance to talk, he made mention a few times that in Iowa.... he came in second, he beat Hillary, now that she's behind....

It's about time somebody said it! Too bad he has to toot his own horn. The press should be saying it, calling it an upset, a surprise victory over Hillary, a second-place showing. Isn't that what NEWS is? Something unexpected? Instead, they continue to talk like it's a two-way race between Hillary & Obama.

Is it not newsworthy that Obama & Clinton outspent Edwards by about 4 to 1, and Edwards still managed to come in second?

Is it not newsworthy that Obama bussed in college students from Illinois to vote in the Iowa caucus, because in Iowa you can register and vote the same day?

Is it just a coincidence that the media is continually promoting the two candidates that the Republicans would most like to run against?

January 7, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  2. Jeff - Jacksonville FL

People keep saying – Edwards or Obama need to get Hillary out of the race.

There's only one way that HRC will actually get out of the Presidential race.
    And that is if all the Democratic primary voters will get her out by NOT VOTING for her.

She may have a lock on a number of the superdelegates, but if we, as Democrats, can get enough pledged delegates to vote for her at the convention, then the way will be set for an Obama/Edwards or Edward/Obama ticket. Trust me, neither one of them will ask HRC to be their VP. That would be Mondale/Ferraro all over again, IMHO.

But Obama/Edwards would not only be an electable ticket, but it would put them in positions to really make the changes they're talking about.
    As VP, Edwards would be President of the Senate, and I think he could wield that gavel very well.

Darth Cheney has been the most powerful VP in US History, but imagine if someone like Edwards (or even Obama) could trump him and use that power for good instead of going to the dark side. :)

And with the potential for up to 3 Supreme Court Justices retiring in the next 4-8 years..Bush's stacking of the court could be potentially reversed and freedom could once again ring loud and clear in this country.

Obama/Edwards – 08

January 7, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. SH- Alabama

Please stay!!! I want to be able to vote for my candidate not one that a few small states pick for me.
    Come on South Carolina and Florida . . . give John Edwards a boost before we get to our Super Tuesday primaries. He could use the support and we as a country need him in Washington D.C.

January 7, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Barack Obama

Hi, my name is Barack Obama and I like to poach from John Edwards campaign strategies, because I have no clue of how to run this country.

John Edwards 2008!

January 7, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. Nazir Jamal

Can Hillary cry her the way to the White House?
    I don't think so, she showed weakness, I don't think she can handle being a president, and I very much doubt that tears will get her way with domestic and foreign issues.
    It's Barack O Mania in America!!!

January 8, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  6. S. A.

For our Country the best combination will be Obama as President and Edwards as Vice-President !!!

January 9, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Name Beatrice Riveraq

I hope that John Edwards wins to become the next president of the U.

S. He is determined and that in itself is a winner. I have John Edwards amd his family in my prayers.

March 22, 2012 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |