January 6th, 2008

Giuliani: Campaign's New Hampshire showing is no surprise

Giuliani is tied for third in the most recent CNN/WMUR poll of New Hampshire voters.

NASHUA, New Hampshire (CNN) - Rudy Giuliani told reporters Sunday that his relatively lackluster showing in recent New Hampshire polls is no surprise, but that rival Mitt Romney might be taken aback by his own Granite State difficulties.

"Mitt has his own struggle," Giuliani said of the former Massachusetts governor. "Where we are now is not unexpected to us. It may be in Mitt's case."

A recent CNN/WMUR poll places Arizona Sen. John McCain and Mitt Romney at the top of the Republican field, with Giuliani and McCain in a distant statistical tie for third.

The former New York mayor’s campaign strategy has focused on later-voting states, like California, Illinois, New Jersey, and particularly Florida, whose voters head to the polls at the end of the month. Aides have described that state as his “firewall.”

"I have not been here [in New Hampshire] nearly as much as John McCain or Mitt Romney because they had much more of a focused strategy. I don't want to speak for other candidates. I think Romney's strategy was Iowa and New Hampshire and McCain's strategy has been New Hampshire. Our strategy has been proportionate."

"Frankly, I don't know why you're so surprised," he added. "My candidacy is an unconventional candidacy….We are running an unconventional strategy, we are comfortable with that strategy and we think this is an unconventional election."

–CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: New Hampshire • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Melissa

2/3 Democrats say the ability to bring about change is more important than experience....

While that may be true, Democrats need to start looking at what Obama can point to show that he can make this change materialize in the real world. He's such an inspirational speaker but actions speak louder than words....Patriot Act, for instance. Clinton has, in reality, brought about changes while in office – as is evidenced by her experience.

I like Obama but his time is not yet. I too want change, and Clinton has shown she can make that happen.

January 7, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  2. oredigr

If the spelling and grammar on these posts is a general indicator of the type of audience CNN has, then it is no wonder people label it the "Illiterate News"!

With respect to the articles above, where is the Ron Paul discussion? He has experience, he has credibility, and he has some fresh ideas. Give America the chance to choose a candidate based on the issues, not based on some sort of popularity poll derived from some skillfully designed questions with a built in bias. Please report the news fairly about all candidates and maybe more of the literate Americans will take you seriously.

January 7, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  3. bucketTX3

every state this guy goes to rejects him and he moves on to the next state saying "this is where my campaign will begin". He has no chance. He should have known the Bible thumpers would reject him once they found out about his views. he should have switched parties and ran as a conservative democrat- he would have won the nomination and the white house easily.

January 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  4. DE

OREDIGR wrote – "With respect to the articles above, where is the Ron Paul discussion? He has experience, he has credibility, and he has some fresh ideas. "
    Well the Republican Party's media mouthpiece "FOX News " do not share your feelings nor does ABC. They intentionally snob him from any NH televised debates they host. I feel that Ron Paul is very relevant to this campaign season, but only PBS and CNN invite all the candidates. If you truly are interested in fair and balance coverage and not divisive rhetoric, I recommend that you watch CSPAN. If you interested in a United America I suggest you support US Vice President Cheney's cousin US Senator Obama.

January 7, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. Steve, New Hampshire

I'm an independent in NH and Mitt Romney blew away the competition last night at the debate. He definitely convinced me to vote for him.

I was between McCain and Romney, but last night Romney strongly, intelligently and passionately showed (1) Mitt is tough on illegal immigration while McCain still wants amnesty and just calls it a different name, (2) Mitt is an economic genius who will cut the income tax and corporate tax, and eliminate the death tax, while McCain has proven to align himself with the most liberal senators against the Bush tax cuts, (3) Mitt is youthful, energetic and a problem-solver while McCain seems a bit tired and petty, and (4) Mitt is a Washington outsider and an institution-reformer, while McCain is an old Washington guy bouncing around the same, failed policies.

I'm convinced NH saw their man last night- Mitt Romney.

January 7, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. Steve, New Hampshire

I'm convinced NH saw their man last night- Mitt Romney.

January 7, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  7. pat

Guiliani's "strategy" is making him the forgotten Republican, which is exactly who he should be. What has he ever done that qualifies him to be president–NOTHING!! He was in the right place at the right time when 9/11 happened. He did a great job of buoying up a desperate populace, but is there anybody on the list of nominees who couldn't/wouldn't have done the same?? Riding on the coattails of 9/11 makes me sick, and that is all I see that he has to offer...in other words NOTHING!!!
    Based on what I see from any of the candidates, the Republicans are TOAST!

January 7, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |