January 6th, 2008

Poll: Obama jumps ahead of Clinton in New Hampshire

ALT TEXT

A new CNN/WMUR poll shows Obama has a 10 point lead over Clinton. (Photo Credit: AP)

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Two days before New Hampshire's Democratic primary, Sen. Barack Obama has opened a double-digit lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton in that state, a new CNN-WMUR poll found Sunday.

Obama, the first-term senator from Illinois who won last week's Iowa caucuses, led the New York senator and former first lady 39 percent to 29 percent in a poll conducted Saturday and Sunday - a sharp change from a poll out Saturday that showed the Democratic front-runners tied at 33 percent.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina is at 16 percent in the new survey, down four points from Saturday. Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is in fourth place, with the support of 7 percent of likely New Hampshire Democratic primary voters, with Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio at 2 percent.

Full story

Full poll results [PDF]

Related video: New poll sends shockwaves

Related video: Stakes high in New Hampshire

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

1. Sarah

Here is one simple reason why Obama will lose:

Obama voted against requiring medical care for aborted fetuses who survive? Born Alive Infant Protection Act (BAIPA)

Even if he wins Democratic nominee, the Republican will use that against him in the general election.

January 7, 2008 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  2. MARYLOU JONES

The dumbing down of America continues.....sigh! THIS IS NOT AMERICAN IDOL!! We are electing our PRESIDENT people!!!! The President of the United States! The person who will represent us to the rest of the World! This person NEEDS to have experience! Look what we've had the last 7 years with a president who doesn't even have a command of the English language. We are at war, in debt to the tune of trillions of dollars which we owe to China for God's sake, sliding towards a recession, are roads, bridges and infrastructures are in disrepair, our school buildings are falling down, people can't afford to go to a doctor NOT TO MENTION THE THREAT FROM SOME WACKO WITH A NUCLEAR BRIEFCASE!!!!! and you want to let Barack Obama cut his teeth in the Oval Office??? GOOD LORD, PEOPLE WAKE UP!!! WE HAVE GOT TO HAVE SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE TO HELP US THROUGH ALL THIS! VOTE WITH YOUR BRAIN! VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON!

January 7, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  3. Tlc

curiosityhasme,

I don't think anyone who points about Senator Obama's ties to a historically black church and equates it to...

"THRONGS OF YOUTH EDUCATED BY BET, MYSPACE, AND FACEBOOK ARE HIJACKING OUR CULTURE

THE REAL WORLD OF GHETTO / GANGSTA MENTALITY AND LIFESTYLES"

has room to call other people racist.

January 7, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  4. jung patawan

If some of you people can't tell the difference between that dry-drunk, mush-mouth, bible-thumping, corporate-shill village idiot George Bush and the brilliant, articulate, progressive intellectual Barack Obama then you DESERVE the past 7 years of ineptitude.

Put another way: if George Walker Bush had been born with a name like Barack Hussein Obama, but still retained his same personality and intellect, then he'd be driving a cab in Austin.

And if Hillary had been married to him instead of Bill, she'd be that real annoying, cloying, domineering PTA president that seems to take over all our kid's schools.

...and that's as close to (capital "P") President as either would have gotten.

JP

January 7, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |
  5. SWA

This country is finally awake after years of drinking the Bush and Clinton kool aid.

Obama is the future of a prosperous America, a tolerant America and a generous America.

January 7, 2008 04:16 am at 4:16 am |
  6. Dave

All of the Clinton supporters are showing their true colors. How much experience did JFK have when he got elected? Just about the same amount as Obama. And here you have a minority with a real shot at winning, and all you can do is bad mouth him. It's about time we had someone other than pasty fat old white politicians running for President. Obama has the best chance to unite our country. For supposedly being the party that lifts up minorities, you Dems look more like establishment Republicans to me. It appears that all you want is more hatred and division, like we've had for the past 20 years.

January 7, 2008 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  7. Gavin, Merrillville, Indiana

Again, Obama is a nice guy with potential, but this is clearly just a "bounce" from the excitement.

Hillary Rodham Clinton is ready to be President on DAY 1 – NO training period required, and this is what WE NEED !

Folks from New Hampshire know this, respect this, and they like Obama too, but they will likely make the most practical and sensible solution to VOTE FOR CLINTON.

Obama will make a very great cabinet member and get the experience he needs for perhaps a future presidency.

January 7, 2008 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  8. Lady Eagle

When I vote for a President I would prefer one with both style and substance. However, if I can only have one substance always wins.

January 7, 2008 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  9. Emma of New York

My family and I think Hillary can beat any Republican nominee, not Obama. At this time the Republican's strategy is they are nor attacking Obama now, because they want Obama to win, they know that Obama cannot win against any Republican nominee, however, if Hillary wins the nomination, they will have a hard time beating her and it's gonna be a neck to neck race. Democrats and independents who's leaning toward the democrats should really think twice. Yes Obama is likable but he can never win the general election. Republicans are pushing Obama to win the primary so that the Republicans can easily win the general election. Please vote for Hillary so we can have a demopcratic President.

January 7, 2008 05:20 am at 5:20 am |
  10. RedSea Foreign National

Obama is a good motivational speaker, but nothing else. I don't care if he is muslim or Christian. Muslim people, the normal ones are not radical, but radical islam is brought about by poverty, and Christian's have the same problem, i.e. bombing abortion clinics??? Actually someone with some sympathy, compassion and an ear to the Muslim people of the world would be great, but not Obama, because he is a green kid that has a good speech writer. At least he does not deny that he is all talk, because he said in the debate he can change everything by his words, and in a speech on his website about how he will conduct foreign policy, he says it will be by talking. He is so green and naive. Who cares about Clinton's personal life, and I think if many people in America have the catty gossipy mentality of talking about if Hillary is happily married or not, then the American people are in trouble, and then I would not be surprised if Obama is elected, then he will have 4 more years of disaster!

January 7, 2008 05:23 am at 5:23 am |
  11. Joe

Looks like Hill is going to get creamed again in NH. This country has lost its mind. Somehow experience, knowledge and service, all I have been taught growing up, have become an anathema in this country. Something is seriously wrong in this country. People are so insecure and porous in their souls, that they mistake false hopes as real, patronize the politics of race, class and gender, over the politics of substance, hard work and resiliency. Tis the tragedy of liberalism in America. I am so done, I am un-subscribing my cable service. Not worth loosing any sleep over.

January 7, 2008 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  12. Andrew

Dave, it seems you're implying that we should support Obama just because he's black. That is the most unamerican, unintelligent, and frankly reverse-rascist idea I've ever heard. I think Martin Luther King Jr. and any supporter of minority rights believes that we want to get to a point where our superficial differences don't interfere with our interaction and discourse. So it isn't about voting for a black man because he's black, it's about not caring that he's black and voting for him because he's the best PERSON for the job.....which is where Obama has fallen short in his mission to gain my support.

You are not really thinking about it if you think Obama will wave a magic wand and make us all agree. POLITICS IS ABOUT DEBATE! True, debate doesn't have to be hate filled, but most of the country isn't hateful. Mainly the extremists on each end are, and that's not going to change.

I'm 21 years old. I'm not a hateful person. I look forward to a productive future for our country. I know we need inspired leadership. I also know we need capable and competent leadership. Unfortunately, Obama has not proven himself to be either of the latter. He has avoided running on any sort of record, only on a promise of hope and change. I don't know Obama, so I really don't know if I can just take him at his word. I'm interested in a candidate who can prove to me with some sort of visible, tangible evidence that they can change the tone in Washington and change the course of our country. I think this country can be united by having a president that comes up with quality solutions, the greatness of which people won't be able to deny. I think its more effective to assemble a "working majority" by showing what you can do (and have done), rather than just saying it. That's how Hillary earned my support and that's why she'll keep it.

January 7, 2008 05:54 am at 5:54 am |
  13. STEVE

I think Barrack Obama is too good and can lead $ unite the American people.Anyone against him is just being paranoid.America should stand up to new age politics. Obama '08

January 7, 2008 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  14. Lisa

Hillary's criticism of Obama – "ambitious" because he wrote at age 5 that he wanted to be President of the United States one day. She complains that he it is not his time and that he should wait. She complains that he is giving people false hopes, and that the people need to have not so high expectations.

I haven't heard her attack Edwards for the same things. (I don't know if Edwards wrote about being the President one day when he was 5) – but Edwards and Obama do not have the WA history. When I hear Hillary say the things that she says to Obama – it sounds racist. I don't believe that is her intention, but to tell a Black person not to be ambitious, that it is not their time, and to reign in their hopes and aspirations?

Is this an American value? To settle for what you have? To not imagine the world better than it is?

I don't believe that Hillary is capable of getting pass the gridlock in WA. She creates it by her negativity and criticisms of others. No one likes to work with people like that, unless you on are the same team. Strange how we can do sideline quarterbacking for Iraq with their Sunnis and Shiites; but can't see the forest through the trees that the way we demonize our political parties doesn't form a functional government.

January 7, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  15. Realist08

Americans, don't be fooled by rhetorics.

Obama is a good speaker does not make him qualified to be a president.

Lets not make the mistake of putting the wrong person there because he speaks very well.

Michael, you got it very correct.

AMERICANS BEWARE THE IDES OF NOVEMBER

January 7, 2008 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  16. RedSea Foreign National

People who support Obama and say Hillary has done nothing and what bills did se introduce. Have you gone to the Thomas Library of Congress, where you can find hundreds of bills that Hillary sponsored, and hundreds that she co sponsored? If you compare the kind of legislation and bills that Obama and Clinton are involved in, it will be clear that Obama is a kid, and Hillary is involved in much more substantial and significant ways to spend her time, and how about Obama's 'no voting staus for at least 85% of senate votes? People wake up!

Backed by 2 examples and you can find countless other contrasts:

Obama S.CON.RES 53 Passing a law rejecting the requirement that voters have to provide a photo ID when voting.

Clinton co-sponsor of the Levin Act – making statute a plan for full Iraqi independence and redeployment f troops by the end of 2006, and if not obtained by the end of 2006 the curent administration needs to submit a plan and new justification for an extension. (Brief summary, but the full details can be read at http://www.senate.gov/~levin/newsroom/release.cfm?id=257387

And if you look at the substance of their speeches on the senate floor you can clearly see that Hillary is well versed with a good understanding of the history, background, and has detailed plans of her ideas and solutuins. You find Obama absent most of the time and making one or 2 sentence statements showing he is not well versed, especially of international issues. And you can read speech after speech stating Clinton press Rumsfield on ...., Clinton presses Bush on .....Clinton presses Senate to stand up to Executive branch, Clinton demands answers from president about no contract bids in Iraq, etc....

Clinton rocks, and she is not afraid to stand up or speak up. After troops were not redeployed in 2006, Clinton continued to press and fight the current administration. Tell me where was Obama and what he has done?

And as I read the comments and mentality of comments on this blog by people who support Obama, I can't believe the small minded gossipy mentality of many Americans, that are largely ignorant!

So please before you make a stand for any candidate, take the time to know the facts about the candidates and what they have actually accomplished or not and what they really stand for. Do not vote out of ignorance and the hype of empty talk!

January 7, 2008 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  17. ted

Obama, not enough experience?
    Some of our greatest presidents had little experience when they came to Oval office....Lincoln.....Kennedy....Truman. What Barack Obama has shown us is honesty and integrity. I'll take that anytime over all these insiders who have been already bought and paid for by the central banks,corporations, and Bildeberg. Go Barack.

January 7, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  18. Ann Aloha, PA

When will we ever learn that the Jerry Springer commentaries don't work with the American People…PERIOD
    Sooner or later all this one-sidednes will turn against these so called unbiased journalists who thrive on sensationalisn instead of equal support.
    Shame Shame Shame
    Go Independents!!!!!

January 7, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  19. jewel

Why dont we pretend we are picking a sitter for our children? We would ask around , then we would ask questions like who are they where are they from.parents and granparents ect .what experience do they have? Can they be trusted? That is how I will do it. because the pres of u.s Will be in charge of our children, And call it what you will I call it instinct, something is not right with Obama.I believe the blble warns of this...and thank God im not the only one.

January 7, 2008 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  20. Jaqueline

President Kennedy will always be my hero and how dare Obama and the media compare the two of them. My hero served as a Congressman from 1947 thru 1953 and was elected to the Senate and served from 1953 thru 1961. How many elections does that add up to be? If your voting for Obama, I am sure you know. Kennedy saved his crew after the sinking of his PT-109 boat. President Kennedy is a war hero, he nearly died swimming and carring his men to safety. He nearly lost his life in WW II for the country he loved. But it did cost John Kennedy his health by suffering as massive back injury that followed the president thru out his life. So you Obama supporters and the media who are saying your guy is just like President Kennedy before he took office should be ashamed of yourselves. How insulting. Pretending to be a great man does not make you one. And standing in a great mans shadow, does not make you half the man Kennedy will always be in millions and millions and milli ons of peoples eyes around the world. The World loved President Kennedy for what he stood for and against and the actions he took. Namely saving the world from WW III. At 10 years old I became a Kennedy Democract because of what his party stood for. And I would not vote for Obama if he was the last man on earth.

January 7, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  21. Jaqueline

I read about something that happened at a caucus in Iowa. Two sisters are very upset about something a Obama supporter said to them. When Dodd didn't recieve the % he needed to stay in the runnning, they were approached by different representives. They were mulling over who they should cacus for when a Obama person came over to them. She asked them why they are still over here? And the older sister said because they hadn't decided on their second choice yet. The lady looked confused and shook her head. "Well, I know it's not going to be Clinton. So, come with me." The little sister then said, "Where not going anywhere until we decide." And the lady actually snapped back, "Your not racist are you?" They were stunned and confused. When she realized how they took her racist remark, she left. Obama won fair and square? That happened to two sisters. How many others are out there that didn't want to be called racist and went along and voted for Obama?

January 7, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  22. jewel

To curiosityhasme. THANK YOU..

January 7, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  23. BG Chicago

What has become of this country?

The Obama supporters sound like 3rd graders. Just the type of mentality we need for electing our next President of the greatest nation on earth. A bunch of children throwing around empty buzzwords that mean nothing to the wiser and seasoned voter. I've never been so embarrased for our education system. Yes, let's vote for a President because a few children spam blogs with "hope" and "change" over and over ad nauseum. It's quite clear, indeed, we are seeing the result of Bush's No Child Left Behind. I fear for our future.

Please save your hysterical screeching outcries for "hope" and "change". Words mean nothing unless they are backed by proven credentials, ideas and accomplishments. Yes, I've reviewed Obama's record, or lack thereof. Not impressed.

Don't even get me started on Edwards. As they say, always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

If Obama wins the nomination I'll be looking at the Republican candidate to cast my vote, hopefully that will be McCain.

January 7, 2008 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  24. Erhard Z

For the United States to survive we need drastic change and Obama inspired me for this change from the day he announced his run for the presidency "Let the people descide" compared to Hillary's "I am in to win". We have to break away from the Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton dinasty because it is treated like royalty.

We have to get away from our mind set of "yes we want change as long as everything stays the same".

My wife and I are in the over the 60 crowd and we support Obama all the way in the hope for our children and grand children to have a better future.

January 7, 2008 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  25. Erhard Z

AMERICA WE HAVE HOPE AGAIN.

January 7, 2008 07:28 am at 7:28 am |