January 6th, 2008

Poll: Obama jumps ahead of Clinton in New Hampshire

ALT TEXT

A new CNN/WMUR poll shows Obama has a 10 point lead over Clinton. (Photo Credit: AP)

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Two days before New Hampshire's Democratic primary, Sen. Barack Obama has opened a double-digit lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton in that state, a new CNN-WMUR poll found Sunday.

Obama, the first-term senator from Illinois who won last week's Iowa caucuses, led the New York senator and former first lady 39 percent to 29 percent in a poll conducted Saturday and Sunday - a sharp change from a poll out Saturday that showed the Democratic front-runners tied at 33 percent.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina is at 16 percent in the new survey, down four points from Saturday. Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is in fourth place, with the support of 7 percent of likely New Hampshire Democratic primary voters, with Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio at 2 percent.

Full story

Full poll results [PDF]

Related video: New poll sends shockwaves

Related video: Stakes high in New Hampshire

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

1. bruce

Not since Kennedy has a candidate given us such hope and confidence that will restore this nation to the proud and noble nation it once was.

January 6, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  2. virgil texas

there goes the Clinton News NOTwork, once again desperately reporting anything that puffs up the military-industrial complex's favorite daughter :rolleyes:

January 6, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  3. Stephen

Good to see that a name isn't what it takes to get elected.

January 6, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. MG

I am STUNNED, just STUNNED, have Americans lost their sanity? To fall for the snake-oil salesman tactics of Obama, a man with complete inexperience to be President, and him getting popular by the day? Does experience not mean anything anymore? If you were hiring for any job in the world, experience would be the first thing you look for, not "hope" or "change". If you were hiring a pilot to take your family across country, would you find the LEAST experienced pilot, if your family's safety were at stake? Well, our country's safety is at stake, and the country is after the LEAST experience? Hillary proved in the debate last night that she is the one with the most experience, the most knowledge, the most patience and guts to deal with all our issues. Did you hear in the debate where they were saying that there is a 20-50% chance that in the next 10 years, a US city will suffer a nuclear attack? Are you completely NUTS that an inexperienced neophyte like Obama can handle that? I am just astounded, and ashamed, of my fellow Americans have fallen for his empty rhetoric. It makes me think of 8 years ago when everyone was SO excited about a young upstart from Texas, with little experience but who seemed FRESH and would be president by "intuition". It's absurd. Do you really want to take this risk? Obama's following is almost cult-like, I think of Jim Jones of decades ago, it's sad and disturbing. The country is not ready for this, the country does not deserve this. WAKE UP PEOPLE. The US is in a dire predicament, there are nations ready to kill us at any moment, how can you possibly put this in the hands of someone so inexperienced? I can only hope and pray that NH voters will wake up to reality come Tuesday. I pray, for the sake of my family, and yours. I would think of the safety of your family when I vote; please do the same consideration for me. "Hope" and "change" do not protect anyone; it is sound experience that will save our country.

January 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  5. vtt7

Well, Obama will not beat a Republican if he wins the Democratic nomination.... So, these dumb people that are voting for him now, are making it easier for the Replublicans. I guess the people that are Obama supporters don't really care about the Democratic party.

January 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  6. Kevin,FL

Ok Obama Supporters don't get on you high horses just yet.. Clinton Can Still win NH..
    CLINTON LEADS IN THE FOLLOWING STATES
    25.VERMONT
    26.DELAWARE
    27.MARYLAND
    28.CONNECTICUT
    29.MASSACHUSETTS
    30.MAINE.

Thats 30 States people, Obama Cannot get the Nomination and if he manages to do so the GOP will rip him apart.. worst than they did John Kerry in 2004..Hillary Clinton will win NH after NH Edwards is done and so is Richardson!!

January 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  7. ARTT

Mr. Obama, You might think and believe that you are the one for the job. But, experience do count and if the people want to believe or not Former President Clinton is loved everywhere. and having him in her side would help us.
    So, I am very sorry. But , My vote will be Hillary Clinton. Because I do believe she is "CHANGE".
    She is our future. She is strong. She is extremely smart.
    Don't take me wrong I know you and your family are too.
    I do have a question for you. Someone told me your father is from Kenya and your mom was White if that is correct why you call your self african american???? and not a "MULATO" that is a real race................not african american.
    Artt

January 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  8. William Gainesville, FL

WAY TO GO< BARACK!!! WE KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!

January 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. Michael

Yes! Barack Obama got Iowa fired up, has New Hampshire fired, and the rest of the country is getting fired up!

Obama 08

January 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Mark Modugno

We see now WHO the mainstream media wants to win in November. Whether or not Obama is the right choice, and I don't believe he is, he is the next President of the United States. This is what the media wants and its what they will get. The media has duped the American public with these polles into voting for Obama and they follow along like sheep.

January 6, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  11. Kokou

Way to go NH. Help us advance the history. Obama is our only chance to unite this country. With a unite country we can tackle issues in this country.

Thanks,
    Kokou

January 6, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  12. dave

Obama 08! You've got my vote in Oakland,CA; on Feb 5. See you then!

January 6, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  13. Betty Roddy

I feel so bad for Hilary, I think it will be a big and bad mistake for obama to become our president, someone we can trust with our lives and families.
    Obama does not have the money to stay in this race and I think he is depending on Opra for support. I am 70 yrs old, I have followed the presidential races since John F. Kennedy and I can feel something is not right in the race. I don't like to put anyone down if they are right and honest.. I have been a Clinton fan for yrs. and I know Hiliary is honest and she will fight for her rights.
    Bet

January 6, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. Stop the Iraq war NOW

It's not over until until the fat lady sings, eh?

On the outside chance that Obama would win the nomination, we Democrats can kiss the chance of a Democratic President goodbye in 2008. The Republicans will tear him and his little political stint in the past apart like a pack of wild dogs. He doesn't know how to intellectually refute criticism because he hasn't the experience to back himself up. If it's meant to be, we'll see........

January 6, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. Jasiyah

I am so very proud of our generation. I was utterly disappointed for a very long time at the apathy of American youth. Now I see that all we needed was a strong leader who believed in our power the way our (grand)parent's generation never has.

This is OUR country, OUR future, and OUR chance! WE are taking it back!

Obama 08!

January 6, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. Harry Gooper

NH voters, keep the Hill/Billy out of the White House.

January 6, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Shannon, Charlottesville, Virginia

mg, i don't support obama because he's being treated like a celebrity and rock star by the media. i actually believe he will change the game. by the way, consider the fact that rumsfeld, cheney, and others in the bush administration had plenty of experience, too. it's that kind of experience we don't want.

January 6, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  18. Rob

Wow! Wonderful! God is good! Obama 08!

January 6, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  19. Pete

Clinton is a remarkably effective technocrat but a leader needs to lead and to do that you have to inspire people. Negativity is good at keeping people from the polls but it isn't the best way to get people to help you accomplish what you are trying to get done.

January 6, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  20. Chris G.

This confirms 2 other polls that had Obama getting into the double-digits. Given this growth, you wonder if Obama can get into the mid or high teens before tuesday.

To top it off, the weather here in NH is going to be flat out perfect for this time of year (50s, partly sunny) on Tuesday. Talk about the perfect recipe to get people to come out and vote.

January 6, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  21. Bob

The Hillary lovers are in such pathetic denial. I think they may need therapy after Obama wins by double digits on Tuesday.

January 6, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. Brian

Don't let polls decide your conscience. Vote for the candidate that you believe will represent the United States with dignity and uphold their oath to the Constitution, not the candidate that has the biggest bandwagon. If a candidate is on the ballot, they are viable.

I am voting for Ron Paul in my state's primary. I will not try to tell you that Ron Paul is the best candidate for you, but I will tell you he is the best candidate for me, and that I would proudly cast my vote for him even if I knew mine would be the only one.

January 6, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Ken Garing

Obama 2008

January 6, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  24. nadeem

The bashing of New Hampshire voters has begun. Now it is there turn to feel the wrath of the Clinton machine.

So far i've heard:

NH has a bad track record of picking presidents

NH are band wagon jumpers

NH are not that educated

NH don't represent America.

When will the Clintons and there surogates get the fact that America wants a new type of governance, one that is not based on fear but based on hope. One that is not about divisive politics but one that unities. The Clintons need to remember why they got into politics in the first place, the idealistic Clintons of the 60s would be knocking on doors in support of OBAMA!

January 6, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. Bernard

I'm so proud of Obama and his campaign, this shows, you don't have to kneecap, and throw slime at anyone to get ahead, what a great moment in history to live in. Obama '08

January 6, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |