January 6th, 2008

Poll: Obama jumps ahead of Clinton in New Hampshire

ALT TEXT

A new CNN/WMUR poll shows Obama has a 10 point lead over Clinton. (Photo Credit: AP)

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Two days before New Hampshire's Democratic primary, Sen. Barack Obama has opened a double-digit lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton in that state, a new CNN-WMUR poll found Sunday.

Obama, the first-term senator from Illinois who won last week's Iowa caucuses, led the New York senator and former first lady 39 percent to 29 percent in a poll conducted Saturday and Sunday - a sharp change from a poll out Saturday that showed the Democratic front-runners tied at 33 percent.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina is at 16 percent in the new survey, down four points from Saturday. Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is in fourth place, with the support of 7 percent of likely New Hampshire Democratic primary voters, with Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio at 2 percent.

Full story

Full poll results [PDF]

Related video: New poll sends shockwaves

Related video: Stakes high in New Hampshire

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

1. Nicole

It astonishes me that Democrats, who are typically more educated and open-minded, are being blindfolded by this election. I completely agree that this county needs more than a change. However, how is some one with virtually no political experience going to play hardball with all of Washington's top dogs? Am I tired of Wahington and the politics? Absolutely! But we cannot forget the era that we are living in. Washington's politics are not going anywhere anytime soon. Hillary Clinton, while I understand has her faults, also has a plethora of experience to be able to take down the top Republican contender for this upcoming election. Obama is too young and too naive. He has a wonderful vision but will for certain be eaten alive during Presidential debates by the Republican nominee and this country will end up with another Republican leader/less. Just when you think it cannot get any worse, it has, it will and then I will have my bumber sitcker that says "don't blame me," I chose Hillary.

January 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Cathy

To those people who say Obama has no specifics, only "change," do some research. Look at CNN or any other mainstream media's breakdown of the candidates, issue by issue. Look at his voting record. Look at his website, which has a breakdown of his position on all issues. To say that he just says "change" without any details is simply wrong. Go beyond the clips of rally speeches and you'll find the substance that inspires so many Independents, Republicans, new voters, and young people.

Obama '08!

January 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

This presidential candidacy race is no laughing matter, but as I read poll results reported here, it sounds like a horse race and I had to laugh. (8 laps ahead, slightly edged, gaining about 3 laps, front runner, down 1 lap, switched places and coming out of the gate).

January 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  4. Steve in SC

Kevin in FL,

W
    fl

January 6, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  5. Leye

While Obama might be leading, I dont believe that the spread can be that much. Moreover, America made the same mistake with Bush – voting for rhetoric rather than capabilities. You are about to make the same mistake with Obama. What has this man done? What has he achieved?

He talks about hope and change all the time. How does he plan to create change? You dont talk change into existence. You work for change.

January 6, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. Rekha

Everybody, except 4 a few Republicans, is talking about change & hope which is g8, but I need 2 hear more than words, because as embarrasing as it is, the US President has overiding say over the UK's foreign policy, & we were dragged into a war that 100% of our public told r government we didn't want to get involved in. I need to hear the specific policies and evidence of sincere commitment to tackle those policies even if positions had evolved in light of circumstances. Talk of a premtive war in Pakistan, & misleading people to believe that the vote to label the Iran Revolutionary Guard a terroist group was a vote 4 war when my understanding is that it was a "sense of senate" vote attached to using economic sanctions but not military force in the version passed, was irrresponsible from this candidate. I am concerned that the US media is being unprofessional & undemocratic with it's political coverage in not subjecting Obama to the same intense scruting that it holds certain other candidates, whilst ignoring other candidates even exist. Whilst I like Obama as a person & he is defintly better the Bush, it was this kind of media coverage that fixed Bush to get the election in 2004. I have Fox News, & CNN in the UK so I know what they were showing Americans, & I can tell you that UK's Sky News had more political coverage & unbiasssed analysis of Kerry's Presidential campaign than America was expossed to in 2004. I found a youtube video called "Journalist give Obama free ride through campaign" posted 2 day where it is the 1st time that I have heard the US media finally admit the undemocratic actions it's taking in basically fixing the election to vote 4 who they want only.

January 6, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  7. Rae and D

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a campain election since I became eligible to vote.

I love the former President Clinton, and although I am a huge supporter of women, I am choosing to support Senator Obama. Although Hilary has done some great things for healthcare, she does not seem to have the kind of people skills that Obama seems to have. I understand her points of view, but I think that SOME Hilary supporters are confused about WHICH Clinton they are voting for.

I feel like this 2008 election has certainly brought people closer for a common cause, and MOST of us all seem to agree on one thing............BUSH, is...was...and will continue to be....the worse President EVER!!!. How he ever got elected AT ALL still boggles my mind today.

The candidates have a long way to go before the final vote is in, but Obama has already won my vote. Good luck Senator Obama....you got our votes!!

January 6, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  8. Howler

On the Hillary Blog, there is a post saying "Where is the bounce?", referring to the expected surge in a candidates popularity after a victory in the Iowa caucuses. My response; here is the bounce.

I am not yet of voting age (I am twelve), yet I follow the elections with great enthusiasm. Currently, I am supporting Barack Obama; I have since February. I support him because he can bring change, because he can beat any of the Republican nominees, and because his policy views and plans are close to identical with mine.

Joe Biden is also a very good candidate; I would support him for vice-president.

But as I cannot vote, the best I can do is give my opinion here.

January 6, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  9. Mati

To those who understand Obama is a fraud.. its good to know there are still intelligent people in America.

The problem is that there are more ignorants who look for sensational, and need to be counseled to 'feel good'. They need excitement and fun. With 5-sec attention span you cannot keep them following Hillary's detailed talk on policies and issues.. they need to be fired up, someone has to yell to them non-stop to keep those 5-sec. I guess they will have Obama for a while.. the problem will be when domestic issues and recession, and unemployment will really show up. Of course, our young college graduates will still get money from their baby boomer parents (those boring guys who talk issues).

January 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  10. Rico

I am done looking at the news. Media loves to do nothing more than bring someone to the top and then rip them apart and track their fall to the ground. Obama has a great message but has no experience. This frightens me because he may be the George Bush of the Democratic Party. Iowa and New Hampshire do not represent the rest of the country. Bill Clinton lost Iowa and New Hampshire and won the nomination, so will Hilary. At least I hope she does. Obama's message of change is is as thin as his experience. He preaches change but has not demonstrated it at all. Appealing to young voters, been there done that with the original Clinton. Being a president who will unite, been there, Bushy Bush. I have seen him do nothing that demonstrates change. I am fearful for our country. We have started a rend of voting on emotion instead of intelligence, much as most third world nations...our status as a superpower is at an end and our new position as giant laughing stock is at hand.

January 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. NObama

Sam Donaldson said it best on "This Week" with George Stephanopoulos:

"...when you have a toothache, most of us would go to the dentist that's been drilling teeth for a long time."

Translation: OBAMA IS NOT READY FOR THIS JOB

Barack's supporters are seemingly stuck in some sort of political wet dream. He hasn't got the experience, backbone, or fortitude to clean up the mess left in the wake of GWB. Unfortunately, the Obama bandwagon is growing longer by the minute, and by the time his supporters realize it's doomed, it will be moving too fast to jump off, turn it around, or otherwise derail it.

Biden would have been an excellent president, but since he's out, Hillary's the next best thing. I hope the Obama Cheerleading Squad will wake up, read a newspaper, and see the light.

January 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  12. Steve

Good luck Sen Obama. We need you.

January 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Ginny Ca

Hillary: Everyone I know out here in California can hardly wait for Super Tuesday so we can cast our vote for you. You are the best of America and voters will surely weigh your experience, vision for change, and proven record of accomplishments against Obama's eloquent, soaring, empty rhetoric and "hope" for change. We need you and we pray you will persevere and make it through to become the Democratic nominee. Hang in there, stay strong and keep getting your message out loud and clear. May God bless you in your efforts.

January 6, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. Ejk

1st)
    Senator Obama was elected editor of the Harvard Law Review....Lets stop pretending he's too inexperienced to create a bi-partisan coalition for historic change in congress. he's got some experience building consensus among self-promoting "old boys club members" at Harvard Law.

2nd)
    You know what young people absolutely hate hearing about?
    Experience.
    When they don't get the job, or the raise or the promotion, you can bet the graying baby-boomer at the other side of the desk is mumbling something about experience. they can't stand the word...it might not be rational, but its an acquired aversion Senator Clinton didn't quite account for.

3rd)
    Generation X and Y have seen enough. 8 years of Bush just about rousted them from their slumber. They weren't around for the violence of the civil rights movement. They don't see geopolitics through a grimy cold-war lens. They use cell phones for communication (POLLSTERS PLEASE NOTE). And they are tired of the greatest generation and their progeny determining public policy in a world they no longer understand.

National Labor Unions: Please jump ship. Obama's Politics are friendly Plus the changing ethnic composition of the Industrial work force and the history of racial tension within labor unions make any investment in his candidacy a public relations coup.

I'm a Democrat. I'm an Obama Supporter. And I pray Senator Clinton doesn't throw too many barbs Obama's way, because i'd like to see her retain enough political capital to be Senate majority leader one day.

January 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. John from SoCal

MG – If you had every been involved in hiring an executive that need to manage change, you would know the experience is not the most important thing, it is judgment and leadership skills. Hilary is a competent manager, but she doesn't exhibit the leadership skils to shephard the country through the kind of changes that we need in 2008.

I recommend you check out Warren Bennis' textbook on Leadership, which notes among other things:

The manager administers; the leader innovates.
    The manager maintains; the leader develops.
    The manager accepts reality; the leader investigates it.
    The manager focuses on systems and structures; the leader focuses on
    people.
    The manager relies on control; the leader inspires trust.
    The manager has a short-range view; the leader has a long-range
    perspective.
    The manager asks how and when; the leader asks what and why.
    The manager has his or her eye always on the bottom line; the leader
    has his or her eye on the horizon.
    The manager imitates; the leader originates.
    The manager accepts the status quo; the leader challenges it.
    The manager is the classic good soldier; the leader is his or her
    own person.

Any reasonable person can see which side of the Leader/Manager spectrum Hilary and Barack fall.

January 6, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. Joe Ossai, Bedford, NH

I just finished canvasing for Obama, the game is over. He may even win by more than 15%. This is a movement and I'm happy to be alive to witness it. Thank you lord.

January 6, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  17. ava

Obama has also opened up a 13-point lead in the new USA Today/Gallop Poll:

Obama 41%, Clinton 28%, Edwards 19%

*Obama: 41%; up from 32% in the last USA TODAY/Gallup New Hampshire poll, taken in mid-December.
    *Clinton: 28%; down from 32%.
    *John Edwards: 19%; up from 18%.
    *Gov. Bill Richardson: 6%; down from 8%.
    *No one else above 3%.

This is the 4th poll in 3 days to show Obama opening up a double-digit lead.

January 6, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  18. Another Steve

I've seen a few elections in my years and this one is going over the top to Obama. He has the right message. Change. We all need this and experience for what it's worth in most persons minds hasn't made their lives better and they want this change. All the nay sayers out there that say he has no idea of how to run the Presidency pay attention to what is happening. He is only the messenger, the peoples voice. Obama is a very gifted speaker and he will continue to dominate the political primaries from one state to another because he is a inspiring motivator for us after our horrible ordeal of 9-11. The betrayal of our priciples by the current administration has done nothing for us to heal as a nation and in fact has hurt us more. This man's message is for us to stop fighting between ourselves and rebuild this country and that will involve us citizens changing, cause that is what a great President can do, inspire us to change. He is the only one I see doing this and given support he will make at a minimum a good President and possibly even a great one. I won't be surprised if he does even better than expected in New Hampshire given what happened in Iowa.

January 6, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  19. Steve

MG at 6:19 PM- Your post sums up Clinton supporters well....

A true rant.

January 6, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  20. Norman Weinstein

Obama (and his wife) are intelligent and articulate, highly educated people who, at the same time, weren’t born to expect the proverbial silver spoon. What a relief and a joy to witness at least the present ascendancy of a person of color who can actually speak the English language and thus express himself, and who has ideas to express. My God, he’s the polar opposite of everything the dangerous embarrassment occupying our White House is. How wonderful, and hopefully for an extended period, to be able to feel some pride again in a nation rapidly becoming classified as renegade.

January 6, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  21. A Riv

I love you Obie, but...

polls mean nothing until the final results come in! I'm hoping a praying that these polls turn out to reflect the outcome, but I don't trust them until NH actually decides.

Frankly, a Dem is going to win the presidency this year, no matter what the GOP does. Ok, maybe I shouldn't go into the absolutes, so I amend that; a GOP win is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. The 3 viable Democrats for the nomination will beat the GOP hands down. And lets not forget that Obama has the youth vote by a considerable margin (and this isn't coming from me reading polls, this is me being at SEVERAL rallies and seeing the sheer numbers) and the youth vote will be THE deciding factor in both the primaries (which will narrowly put a candidate over the edge) and the general election (which will guarantee the Democratic nominee a landslide victory).

Peace Obama, and great job to the rest of you. You'll do an excellent job in the cabinet.

January 6, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  22. jay mo

this....

Michael January 6, 2008 5:55 pm ET

Why isn't Bush settled to President election. Of course I would vote him instead of the other candidates. Is there somekind of official valid maximum time period for president's incumbent....

is the most ignorant thing i've ever heard of...

January 6, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  23. Lookout Scout

Hillary is the only candidate ready to handle international affairs. Edwards and Obama are amateurs by comparison. Both looked like thumb-sucking schoolboys when she discussed the complexities of attacking Pakistan, or of troop withdrawal from Iraq, for example.

January 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  24. FireStarCat

Where is everybody? In New Hampshire, no doubt, and far from computers to blog with , and ignoring this article in particular.
    The Obama package is catapulting or capitulating through space, but buyer beware. Not too long ago a charasmatic leader charmed a nation, a man from humble beginnings with little political experience; united a nation like sheep to the slaughter. Obama talks about a new awakening , a new coalition, a uniting of the parties. And ask yourself why you should trust him. He is susceptible to absolute power, which as we know corrupts absolutely. The tug and pull of American politics is what keeps it going; it's called democracy.
    Unfortunately, we seek heroes only to tear them down, we are hoping for another Saviour to rescue us from our unending complacency and laziness.
    Why anyone would want to subject themselves to the mental anguish of the presidency is hard to envision.
    Anyway, patriarchal society or not, it is easier to deal with someone we know than a mystery, and Hillary has been around for 35 years. Some dirt under the rug perhaps, but we know she won't feel comfortable with a Tiara on her head.

January 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  25. David G.,

If Hillary is the candidate of change, because she's been responisble for so much change, according to her last night, then why is everyone... yes everyone, looking for change... Hillary, look in the mirror... the change they want is away from you... D.

January 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |