January 6th, 2008

Poll: Obama jumps ahead of Clinton in New Hampshire

ALT TEXT

A new CNN/WMUR poll shows Obama has a 10 point lead over Clinton. (Photo Credit: AP)

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Two days before New Hampshire's Democratic primary, Sen. Barack Obama has opened a double-digit lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton in that state, a new CNN-WMUR poll found Sunday.

Obama, the first-term senator from Illinois who won last week's Iowa caucuses, led the New York senator and former first lady 39 percent to 29 percent in a poll conducted Saturday and Sunday - a sharp change from a poll out Saturday that showed the Democratic front-runners tied at 33 percent.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina is at 16 percent in the new survey, down four points from Saturday. Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is in fourth place, with the support of 7 percent of likely New Hampshire Democratic primary voters, with Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio at 2 percent.

Full story

Full poll results [PDF]

Related video: New poll sends shockwaves

Related video: Stakes high in New Hampshire

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

1. Steven

Kevin in FL,

Do you recall any polls in Iowa that show Obama getting spanked? If he wins in NH, it could very well have a rippling effect in those states you mentioned. It is never over until its over!

January 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  2. navarius

Obama all the way...

January 6, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  3. wishfulthinking

what a joke america!

obama hussein barack is a front runner in two states where the population is 98% white... comical relief... a vote for this man is a vote for the republicans... emotions are overcoming reason!

hypocrisy is the trademark of politics.

the divisive game is dangerous for america. this is merely a strategy to tilt the scales in favor of the republicans people, wake up! or we will pay dearly.

talk is cheap.

January 6, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  4. jay mo

please do tell me what independent voters will flock to hillary as they have obama....sorry charlie (brown)...it may not be over for clinton yet....but you will soon see that obama is the real deal...

question...how many states does it take to get to the center of a clinton campaign?

January 6, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  5. Courtney

Americans are tired of living in fear. All of this talk about Obama NOT being able to win the presidency over a Republican candidate is more of the same. FEAR.
    For the first time, in a long time, The United States Of America has a chance to believe that we can be unified and strong again. We are a country of hardworking, dedicated intelligent and thoughtful people. It's time we have a president who represents those same qualities! No more dynasties!

January 6, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. pbj, San Ramon, CA

Looks like the emperess has no clothes (sorry for the visual, folks!). All it took was one little caucus and everyone realized that they really don't like Hillary (or her sleazeball husband) after all. So much for inevitability.

Say goodnight, Hillary.

January 6, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  7. Jeremy

Wow, some of you are super paranoid! I actually fear that Hillary wouldn't win the general election. She's just another Washington puppet. I don't see her winning over very many moderates. Although you might not appreciate Obama's positive message, it's beating Hillary's media machine so that says something about how he'd contend against whatever comes out of the GOP primaries. BTW, why are you afraid of Romney/Rudy/Huckabee/McCain/Thompson? None of the GOP candidates show any promise. Once the picture is made clearer and Obama wins, I think his message will translate into a successful campaign against the petty GOP tactics of negativity. He'll rise above the criticisms, just as he is right now.

January 6, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  8. pk53

Michael-
    In the US, the Constitution prohibits a president running for re-election after two full terms or 8 years. Bush can not run for re-election. And, as far as I'm concerned, he should be impeached. McGovern is dead right on his arguments in his editorial today!

January 6, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  9. Jim

from the first time I heard O'bama speak I deemed him to be the right choice forpresident. I also feel that John Edwards should be his running mate for vice-president. If they combined their promises to the people then i believe the middle class workers, the poor and those on fixed incomes would fare better and america would again be a great place to live.

January 6, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. Andrew, NY, NY

Kevin,FL ,

"Obama Cannot get the Nomination and if he manages to do so the GOP will rip him apart.. worst than they did John Kerry in 2004..Hillary Clinton will win NH after NH Edwards is done and so is Richardson!!"

====

NOT SO FAST KEVIN! First, it's apparent you haven't seen the latest polls showing Obama with a double digit lead over Hillary. Second, should Hillary win the nomination (God forbid), NOTHING, that's NOTHING, will galvanize Republican voters to come out against her. It looks like ole Hillary isn't doing so well with Independents either.

January 6, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  11. Martin

I know Obama can be elected as president. He can draw support from Independents, Democrats, and maybe even some Republicans.
    Hillary could never pull so many people together... More than half the country hates her. The republicans would destroy her at any debate. Her negativity doesn't go with what the people in America want.
    We want change... we want someone new...
    NOT someone who is not corrupted and in bed with people like Rupert Murdock! someone who plants questions in the crowd... someone who doesn't have sight of the future and approves disastrous wars. and if she can't control her husband how is she going to control a whole nation?

OBAMA '08!

January 6, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  12. Sinead in Ireland

I’m Irish but born and raised in the USA so am an American citizen now living in the North of Ireland. Let me say upfront that I am a democrat and in this election I support Hillary Clinton because I believe this time round she is best for the serious situation this world is in!! And if Hillary got in this time and Obama got in after her then we'd have possibly 16 years to un-do the nightmare the "shrub" has created. Since we don’t get decent US news here where I live, only "fox" news (pity me!!!!) and a few updates from CNN Europe thank you CNN!!!!. I have been going online to keep up with things and get news on the Democrats. What is really worrying me is that for weeks now I have been seeing awful, fearful and hateful things written about Obama online by paranoid mostly Republican conservatives generating fear because his father was a Muslim that he, Obama, is somehow a threat. Also they go on and on about his parents and parts of his books and a few other things I won’t even write here. The typical things one would expect from these types of people. But I’m growing fearful that if he did get the nomination then fox news and all their related loonies and supporters will begin some carefully planned campaign to smear him and create fear among voters and thus get another Republican elected. The fact that fox news is behaving like they are Obama supporters and saying loads of lovely things about him constantly and basically trashing Hillary has got me wondering Why?.............and worrying...........perhaps this is because they feel they can win against Obama by casting enough doubt to make some voters back off maybe. Just food for thought and I really hope I’m wrong and just being paranoid myself!!

January 6, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. David

Kevin from Fl. Clinton was leading in NH a couple of days ago, but the tide sure is changing. Hang in there you will witness what a ground up organizing effort can do.

January 6, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  14. Alice

Chris Rock said it well the other day commenting on Hillary's claims of experience in her husband's Presidency. He said, "If I told you my wife was going to do this show instead of me, would you show up????

January 6, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  15. stan

Clinton has been running a national campaign and that is what will land her in the White House ultimately. It's good to see Obama's fresh face and theatrics injected into the stew...he is appealing to idealists and independents and that' s important...but i wouldn't get too fired up about NH's relative importance, one way or the other...If the nader freaks in NH had voted Gore, Florida wouldn't have been in an issue in 2000. They fell into the 'gore is the same as bush' stupidity hyper-idealistic frothing and gave us two dubya administrations...duh, like there IS a difference between gore and bush...what idiots.
    now they will rush to the lastest flavor, Obama is intelligent, a great orator, has an attractive young family, and works the same old political machine with the same old baloney...
    This is the most important electino of ANYBODY'S lifetime in the history of the country, as the Constitution has been effectively kiled...I will vote for the Democratic nominee whoever that ends up being at the end of the primary process...will the new idealists?? or will they be, like NH in 2000, essentially republicans, as that was where nader's idiot ego ride was financed...?

i suspect they will follow Iowa like sheep; but that's not going to stop Senator Clinton's effort. Thank goodness. She's a good woman and the smartest player in the bunch, and the toughest. and the one most ready. yes she can have a flat sonority to her delivery...if you want to elect a tv star...ya'll new voters, y'all 'progressive' voters...will be responsible, but not take responsibilty for it, ala NH or nader himself...for once again, repubs snatching victory. Dems always shoot themselves in the foot. Obama's flash and snotty hypocrit techniques are obvious to the more experienced observers.
    I"ll vote for the democratic nominee no matter who it is?
    Will the new vivacous Obama supporters? or will they turn essential republican after if their candidate takes an overwhelming licking by the time the primaries are over?? there's the test.
    What goes up will come crashing down. Clinton is vetted and ready and already knows 3/4 of the world's leaders and their countries...
    WE need to win this one in '08...and the 'hate hillary' thing is so pervasive that you idealists will inherit 16 more years of murder, war, insane explosions of violence, a recession, maybe even a depression, and will be ruled by people who hate you and hate themselves. Tha'ts what obama means to me.

January 6, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  16. George

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

January 6, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  17. Josh

Obama is the future of America. Republicans are old, corrupt news. P.S. Impeach Bush and Cheney.

January 6, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  18. Toby

For all the talk of Obama's lack of experience, I think for some others, maybe too much "experience" is part of the problem.

January 6, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  19. cris

I went knolling for information on the candidates and I believe that its becoming a presidential election based on irrelevant factors or race, religion, and sex, as the focal factors voters are using to base there decisions. With what Bush has done, we have to focus on who will act in the way that will benefit America, and not who will bring together whites and blacks, who represents what religiion, and who can perform the best ML King speech shouting in commanding tone. Bill Clinton said and I agree, its not who can talk about ideas, or promote ideologies, but who is most capable of action on our behalf.

January 6, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  20. Joe

I am a democrat but I vote for Huckabee. Just Like Obama I change my stand and positions for what I believe.

January 6, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  21. Elise

1. The Republicans will attempt to tear down ANY Democratic candidate. Arguments here suggesting Obama will be hit hard in the general – well duh. Hillary will be hit JUST as hard – and if she's this inept at challenging a fellow Democrat and primary candidate and someone who does NOT go negative on her, how in the world will she fare against Republicans. I think anyone who remembers the 90s knows the answer!

2. Obama's poll numbers will change drastically in other states. The more primaries he wins, the better position he's in – the higher those numbers will climb.

3. As for "experience" – Cheney and Rummy are the most experienced people in Govt. today. What exactly has that gotten us?

Oh...and can anyone please name me a bill that Hillary Clinton has written and passed as a Senator? I've yet to find one. Obama is a Freshman Senator and he has several. As far as I can tell, Clinton has nothing.

January 6, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  22. Ms. Winnie

I'm very proud of Obama !!
    I would love to have him as our new president, he is a man with a vision for the future of our country. Without a vision the country will continue to be on this downward sparial.
    Thank God this is President(can't get it right) Bush last term.
    We need change and as Obama has said " Change is coming", and please bring our troops home!!!!!
    GO OBAMA...PRESIDENT 2008... WE LOVE YOU !!

January 6, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  23. tim frazer concord nh

To all you anti-Obama grousers: My wife and I lived in Illinois when Barak started his career. He brought a distinguished record in the Illinois legislature (a pretty nasty place) to the senate election in 2004. He took his degree from Columbia U and became a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago. Not an easy place to break in - Barak did not grow up in African American neighborhoods. Not an easy place for a young ivy league grad to get accepted. Then back to Harvard Law school, then more community work. Not to a posh Wall Street law firm and big bucks. This guy DOES have experience, albeit not in Washington.
    I hope he makes Richardson Secretary of State.

Hillary can be Senate majority leader - she'd be better than Reid. She is needed in the Senate.

January 6, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  24. Duke357

January 6, 2008 7:32 pm ET
    Obama is not mature enough to run for president. During last nights debate when asked a question about what the GOP candidates were saying about him he seemed flustered and admitted on national television that he did not watch the previous debate he was watching a football game on TV! Was that more important than learning how to beat his rivals?
    I went to see him talk in Manning,SC. I sat next to some local police and security staff. They were talking amoungst themselves and were saying that Obama was joking backstage and had them in stitches. I want a president who is talking about local issues with local voters when he comes to visit SC, not joking to amuse himself. This does not seem like the actions of a mature individual who I want leading my country!
    DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE SIMILAR EXPERIENCES AND FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE LIKE ME?

January 6, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  25. J. McKinney SW MO

I, too, am amazed and appalled that voters don't seem to realize that Obama doesn't have a plan, just a great personality and smile. That isn't what we need in a president. We need experience, and that is Hillary.
    I would be laughing my head off at John Edwards–the little banty rooster–if this wasn't so desperately important. I can't believe he has any chance of getting elected. Heaven help us if either he or Obama gets the nomination. they can't win against the republicans. Think, people. Please THINK. We aren't voting for the best Elvis or Beetles impersonator, or something like that. We are voting for the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES. We need experience, not empty charm. We need HILLARY!

January 6, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |