January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Robert Bell

"....and then, as if on cue, her Sunday School teacher appeared in the audience.."

Are we going to repeat the sickley-sweet "Softer Side of Hillary Hillycopter Tour of Iowa" in New Hampshire?

It didn't work in Iowa. She comes across as most phoney at these scripted slow-pitch events.

Stick with the issues, Hillary. Trying to sell yourself like a brand of soap isn't going to fly.

People see through this nauseating junk.

FWIW.

January 7, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. PSK Lakeside, AZ

We don't want to "fall backwards" either, Ms. Clinton. A vote for you would be that fall- and I for one do not plan to make that mistake. The Clinton's have shown America what they are capable of. I demand decency from a candidate- I demand truthfulness & honesty. I'm sorry, ma'am- I just don't see you being able to provide any of those things.

January 7, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Fred, Washington, dc

It was an acting job......all the lady asked her was about her hair..........I think this is an evil political play. and worse yet...........IT WILL WORK

I predict she wins the New Hampshire Primary due to the BOO HOO BOUNCE :)

January 7, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  4. shlomoamir

Either as a phony or somneone too weak to do the job....either way, she is too weak and doesn`t have enough experience for the job if she starts bawling now. It takes grace to keep working without crying when running for the office of President. It is telling that Hillary is the only one crying about among all the candidates (both Democratic and Republican), aboutr how hard it is. Booo hooo hoo.....if she can`t stand the heat, maybe she should get out of the room....Not a good choice for someone who has to have their finger on the neuclear trigger. Hillary, please drop out of the race because we need someone who has real experience and is not prone to fits of weeping!!!!

January 7, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. DAVE

if anybody is buying this they are idiots! this woman will say or do ANYTHING to get back into the white house where her useless husband can feel important again. ENOUGH with the clintons,LET'S MOVE ON !!

January 7, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Eric

It is funny how Obama and Hillary both try to copy John Edwards.

January 7, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  7. Mark, NC

That's what you want in a POTUS!!! Cry when things get tough. If she had any chance of me voting for, it just went up in smoke. If Obama was breaking down like this, she would pile on and say he is too weak. I can't watch anymore. She is killing women with this performance. This is worse than the "angry blackman" label. Where is Margerret Thatcher when you need her? The video is worse than I thought....

January 7, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. Cat, Costa Mesa, CA

Boo Freakin Hoo Hillary! But then again, I get emotional when I talk about my hair too!!

January 7, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  9. hawk

This may very well be the END for HILLARY. She's losing it, maybe Dr. Phil should visit her instead of Brittney.

OBAMA/EDWARDS for a better America

January 7, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  10. Al in Wpg

Another planted question? Poor Hillary-ous. I would cry too if someone asked about my hair. C-mon.

January 7, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. Adam, New York

You guys are hypocritical jerks. When Hillary shows a human side, you attack her for being weak. When she shows strength and resolve, you call her a liar and devisive.

Grow up and look at the strength this woman brings to the country. She is a citizen, like you and I , only the difference is, she is willing to put everything on the line to serve our nation.

January 7, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Joe Anon, Chicago

If I could say one thing to Hillary I would say: "Thank you Sen. Clinton for everything you're doing for this country. It's true you will not be the next president, Sen. Obama will, but please remember the you don't need to be president to do great things for this country." Sen. Obama is the right person at the right time to lead this country and I've thought since he announced last Feb that he would breeze to the presidency in the end. Hillary would have been an excellent president, but I wasn't willing to take a chance on her because I fear she would have lost the general election. The republicans wanted her to win badly. They like their chances against her. They're running scared of Obama, and that makes me happy. It's great to be a democrat and great to feel proud of this country again!!

January 7, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. Nomad

You know, I think you Democrats hadd better look at the candidates very carefully and sort out what people have done in their SMALLER jobs as Senators before you're ready to elevate them to being President. Some of them did virtually nothing, including Sen. Edwards from my state of NC. And especially Sen. Obama – hardly ever voting, called lazy by his fellow Senators. If you're an employer, would you promote a worker who didn't perform duties of lesser job with vigor (as JFK would say)? Be VERY careful!!! A good speech maker/writer is wonderful ... people get very emotional ... but this is VERY serious business choosing our next President. Very dangerous times!!! Think and look at records – not just listen to emotional speeches!!!

January 7, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Jen, Gainesville, FL

If the emotion was real, she is not qualified for the job of presidency. What we need is a calm president who can deal with issues not emotionally but sensibly.

If the emontion was fake to win "likeability" , it is not going to work. It did not work in Iowa and will not work elsewhere, either.

I have no sympathy for this woman after seeing how mean she was since Saturday.

January 7, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. Ryan

awww....was witto hiwowee tie-ode?

Geeze she has no shame.

Anyone remember the last time any other candidate wept when asked how they keep their hair looking good? I can't. Now let me see, what are the differences between this candidate and all the others? Hmmmmmm.......

January 7, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  16. Josh Franklin

Obviousily this was staged and unnecessary. I know a lot of people think she is a cold politician but I do not think so. I think Senator Clinton is intelligent, strong, and deep down a warm person. She just comes off cold which is not her fault to an extent. But this kind of stunt is not needed–this kind of stunt just gives ammunition to the already huge anti-hillary group.

I will vote for whoever wins the Democratic nomination, which looks to be Senator Obama right now, but Clinton would be an equally good president.

I hope that Obama or Clinton do not pick each other or Edwards as their running mates though–that would be disappointing. Biden is the only Presidential candidate (ex-candidate) that should be considered for the VP spot by either Obama or Clinton

January 7, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  17. Ray

OMG..Come on. First she is NOT emotional and she is to hard, then she is and she is faking???? Im sure she is tired and its getting to her. Im sure she is scared for her party if Obama gets the nomination and another 8 years if Republicans in the White House.

Im glad to see this side of her. She has always had my vote and will still get my vote.

Hillary 08!

January 7, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. Linda

The whole emotional bit is not very "presidential". I am a woman and was really backing Hillary, but once she gets under pressure, as this article indicates and during the debate when she became "passionate", seemed more like anger to me, I am a little concerned about how she would react in more turbulant times...just a thought.

January 7, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. tennessee gurl

If she can't handle the rigors of an election what makes you think she can handle national security or any other tough situation.

January 7, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. Frank

Just a question ...

Does it bother anyone that she's breaking down emotionally in just applying for the job? How will she react if she get the job? When things get difficult, will she try to accomplish change by becoming emotional.

Don't get me wrong. I know what all of them are doing is hard, but you have to maintain some level of composure in the public eye – no matter how hard things get.

I believe people expect that from their President – someone who can be (or atleast appear) strong in the face of adversity.

January 7, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  21. Eric

It is funny to see the robot get emotional, and call it "personal" and not "political". She is taking a page out of John Edwards book. What a joke.

January 7, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. diane

hello, i did leave a comment, but you did not respond or post, because it was in favior of hillary, YOU MUST BE A REPUBLICAN – A BACK STABER!!!!

January 7, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Jack

This woman is one of the most disingenuous politicians ever to step foot on the national stage. I am so pleased to see America is leaning towards change and away from this self-centered opportunist.

January 7, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  24. parforthecourse

I am detecting some real SEXISM in the media. She can do no right...you guys better tread very carefully........very carefully.

January 7, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  25. Kay Mistlebauer

They all are fighting like hell to bury Hillary...
    but she is not letting it happen. I think she has proven her strength to be
    President of the United States.

January 7, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |