January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. casee

Oh well not to worry....Obama will set America straight. I think it's wonderful that America is showing the rest of the world how the different races can get along in the heat of an election and beyond!

My hat's off to you America....your far more trusting than I would be...A Muslim in the White House? Could be interesting... Check out his background...or does that matter?

It would seem that's what America wants.

So be it...

January 7, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Jake, California

Eric,

this is the wrong way to fight for Edwards...
    you say both Obama and Clinton are copying Edwards? Outrageous!!!!

Sorry Hillary, tears wont do it now! Its too late!

January 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Lance in Monrovia

really don't doubt that Hillary Clinton sincerely wants to do well for the country. That said, I believe that her judgement and her capacity to truly understand what that means is so skewed and so out of touch that she absolutely, positively is not the person who can actually affect real good in America.

No matter how good her intentions, she will continue to divide and weaken our government if she's in charge. I know this from years of watching the partisan bickering between the Clintons and the Republicans.

the best thing she could do if she wants to help save this country is step down and throw her support behind the one candidate that actually CAN affect real change, Barack Obama.

Obama is proving daily that he really, truly is the force that can unite this country and revese the years of damage that Bush and the Clintons have done to our Republic.

I call on Senator Clinton to throw in the towel and endorse Barack Obama while she still has some reputation left to her.

If she continues this badly run campaign and this breakdown of her support, she won't have the power she needs to be even an effective democratic leader in the Senate.

I think Senator Clinton is a fine legislator and she'd make a fine Speaker of The House some day but she will never, ever be the leader that Bill Clinton was, or that Barack Obama is becoming.

Barack Obama is the best hope this nation and this country has.

I will support him with every fibre of my being. I will work tirelessly to see that he's the next President of the United States. He's inspired me and millions of others like me for the first time in our lives to truly take charge of our political process.

When I could be off doing whatever I want with my spare time, I instead am putting my walking shoes on, knocking on doors, calling strangers, talking to them all about Barack Obama.

Again and again, I find a receptive, eager audience.

It makes a strong arguement that people are ready to change this country and they're ready for Barack Obama.

if he can inspire such loyalty and support in us, think what he will do as President of the United States.

I can't wait. It is historic.

If you could've volunteered for Abraham Lincoln's campaign, would you have?

This is historic on that level. We will never, ever forget this time. He is our Lincoln, our JFK, our hopes and dreams and he himself represents the American Dream at its finest.

I have no more words. There's nothing else I can say to any undecided voter except... the future is in your hands. Grab it.

Lance

January 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Karen

Reviewed the posts of the male names so I'm going to assume you are male.
    Those grown up men with positive and neutral comments: 27 (note this includes neutral.
    Those grown up men with negative comments: 44

No one would marry you? Haven't had a date in many years? I myself and quite charmed by your attitude. I find sexism sweetly old fashioned. It brings tears to my eyes.

January 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. John, New York, NY

I am shocked and ashamed of the ugly, vitriolic, and unsubstantiated remarks that many of the readers have posted here.

You're passionate hatred of Hillary puts her in a no-win position. If she is stoic and strong, then she's written off as unapproachable and cold. If she shows emotion and vulnerability, she's weak or wimpy...or worse, staging a ploy for sympathy. You can't have it both ways, guys. Please recognize your hypocrisy.

That having been said, however, I don't plan on voting for her....until she's up for re-election as senator from my great state!

January 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Ardelia Burse, TX

The last time America united was 9/11 and that was out of fear, anger and revenge. The War in Iraq is the result. Barack is uniting and exciting this Nation in a way I have not seen in my lifetime. The change he talks about has already begun. He is already uniting people of all races and parties. It begun in Iowa and hopefully it will continue in New Hamphire and across this nation.

January 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. sky

Being "emotional" does NOT mean she cannot be reasonable and think straight when it comes time to make tough decisions in the white house. You all need to read Damasio's "Descartes' Error" – emotion and reason are tied together and we can't make a decision without having some emotion involved. These comments are all a joke and just another excuse for Clinton haters to throw more rocks at her.

January 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. Mike,MD

Sure wish those of you who claim as well as HRC,that her record proves she is the best for America would please allow the rest of us these papers.As I stated several times before,she can't lead all she can do is follow.Amazing to see all of those signs in Iowa for change.If you can't beat 'em,copy them.
    The truth is she has been shown as the person she really is.Just a follower who needs her husband to spread more lies when the tough gets going.
    No Legislation brought by HRC,No real answers to questions asked of her,Just blame everyone else for her inferior ability so why not cry for votes.
    All the Clinton's want is power,they could care less about changing anything except their place of residence.(though she took most of it with her the last time she was there.)
    Fire up the band,the fat lady is about to sing and her campaign is like the Titanic.

January 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  9. MC- Atlanta,GA

Keep up the good work Hillary- we Love you!

January 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. Tom Davie

Obama is NOTHING like JFK or Lincoln or anyone else.

All hail the intelligence insulting SPIN DOCTOR.

Keep HAMMERING the psycological WARFARE .

Nobody will notice. Honest.

January 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. bobr

parforthecourse

I'm not sure about the 83%, but it sounds close to figures I've heard. McCain and Clinton have missed some votes but not that many. Obama has said he didn't return for votes because his vote wouldn't have changed anything. That's the same excuse that Kerry used in 04 and the same excuse that 50% of our population uses for not voting. If memory serves, one vote that he missed was the one declaring the Iranian Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization. He lambasted Clinton for weeks about her vote but didn't bother to vote himself.

also, I had a comment passed over for some reason.

I agree that there is a sexist double standard in addition to the usual partisan double standards. I won't repeat the whole thing, instead I will just add that Democrats need to be careful about adding to their already hypocritical legacy.

January 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  12. John, St. Louis, MO

Hardly believable. A news analyst on MSNBC, who follows Hillary's campaign, said that she is using supporters from nearby states to seemingly fill the same venues that Barack has filled. Still, Hillary wonders why very few people like her, it's those type of tactics that show what kind of person she is. The Clintons will do anything to remain in power.

January 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Bill

Hillary's problem is not as much her policies nor her questionable history. It is her disingenous seemingly scripted nature. Cold and calculating Hillary comes across as cold and calculating even when she becomes "visibly emotional". Dear USA friends please do not be fooled by this master manipulator. We need real American leadership. The world is looking for a fresh voice and honest character in 2008.

January 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. Iowan NObama

parforthecourse – welcome to the BEST CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT, Hillary Clinton.

Mark in Ontario – read Andrew's posting of Hillary's accomplishments. More than just "hoping" for results – SHE HAS RESULTS.

Hillary cries, she's weak. Hillary speaks up (in the debate) and she's a b-word. The media is destroying her image – she's a United States Senator and former First Lady of our country – show her some respect already!

NObama's a talker, and has no track record. He's missed 83% of his senate votes. HELLO PEOPLE – WAKE UP!

Hillary Clinton 2008

January 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. debi

what a socialist crybaby.

January 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. John, St. Louis, MO

That story was on MSNBC's Morning Joe, and the reporter/analyst was Andrea Mitchell.

January 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. Liam

I guess she would not be the first Democrat Party candidate to cry in New Hampshire. Remember Edmund Muskie in 1972. Also Remember what happened his campaign! (maybe it was a just a snowflake!)

January 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. Iowan NObama

...and if she is bringing supporters to NH, she's only following NObama's lead from Iowa (he bussed people in to CAUCUS for him).

January 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. ronald

I wonder how the world wil accept a crying president. there is no crying in baseball. so how does look for a candidate to cry so early in this race? she is not ready for hardball. you have to be able to think clearly in a world situation. emotions cannot determine our future.

January 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. Michele Lovelace

Hillary should quit the her race for the presidency, and try acting. Great acting job. Maybe they will nominate her for an Oscar. NOT!!! Everyone can see a fake from a mile away. Go home Hillary, your time has passed.

January 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. Mark, Toronto Ontario

I have made 4 comments, all removed, yet the most inane, hate-filled, ignorant comments (on both sides of the argument) are getting through...maybe if I put it down using language and grammar suitable for a 5th-grader, then my comments might be displayed...

January 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. RD

I see a crystal clear hope for our nation from Hillary and a lot of hot air from John and Obama.

Let us support a strong and knowledgeable woman lead our nation back to the path of success.

January 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. parforthecourse

DEMAND RESPECT LADIES

DEMAND RESPECT LADIES

DO NOT ALLOW REFERENCES TO 'PMS' OR THAT SHE IS LESS THAN A WOMAN.

DO THIS FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS

THIS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN MUST END

THIS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN MUST END

IF ONLY WE ANALYZED PRESIDENT BUSH LIKE THIS...WE SAT QUIETLY AS HE RAN THIS COUNTRY LIKE IT WAS THE WILD WILD WEST - MACHO MACHO IS THE ANSWER.

LADIES - READ THE COMMENTS -- READ THE COMMENTS ALL OVER THE INTERNET. THEY SPELL DISRESPECT.

DISLIKE HER, DO NOT VOTE FOR HER, BUT DO NOT DISRESPECT HER RIGHT TO SEEK THE PRESIDENCY.

January 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. LB, Ft Worth TX

Well, another new campaign trick! Tears!! Haha... Hillary.. really!!! Go back to New York and be their senator. Let others take over the presidency of the U.S. ... you and Bill had your chance! Good bye!

January 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. Tom Davie

And I find it hard to believe John from St Louis , that you choose something as PETTY as that to elect a 'forest gump' with good intentions into the whitehouse.

Obama is NOT qualified to be president of the united states, and in all fairness of whether you THINK he is or not, NOW is NOT the time to put a guy with no experience in this CRUCIAL time in American History.

He is much more likely to MAKE IT WORSE due to his inexperience than he is to somehow fluke out and pull off miracles.

January 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |