January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Lee

Great acting, right there. Give the lady an Oscar.

January 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. John Adkisson, Sacramento, California

I recall the day of Nixon's resignation when for the first time in my life I felt compassion and sympathy for him. This is precisely my reaction to Clinton's emotional outburst today. Now that she is removed from a position of power (or potential power), I can see her as a human being - but just as with Nixon - I am relieved she will not be President.

We are blessed that Obama has finally caught fire. It is now time for Clinton and Edwards to read the tea leaves and make common cause with his candidacy.

January 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Julie

Edwards should be ashamed of himself by implying that Hillary isn't tough enough to be President.

What a jerk.

January 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Robin Robinson

You want emotional weakness? Obama doesn't even have the emotional fortitude to stop smoking cigarettes. And people are whining here about someone tearing up. Big deal.

January 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Robbie, VA

I think these Hillary supporters are out of their mind. If Hillary tells them to jump off a cliff, they will do as told. Please, folks, have common sense and look at Hillary for what she is– a fake.

Hillary supporters, use common sense- vote OBAMA!!!

OBAMA 08!!

Go to his website and see the flood of support. I just donated money, you should, too. America will be so much better!!!!

January 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Jacob (Miami, FL)

EDWARDS IS A LOSER. JUST LOOK AT HIS RESPONSE ("A PRESIDENT NEEDS TO BE STRONG...") – WAY TO BE THE FIRST ONE TO JUMP ON SOME OPPORTUNISTIC TOTAL NON-EVENT.

AND OBAMA OF COURSE WON'T TAKE A REAL POSITION OR WILL SPIN SOME FLUFF ABOUT NOTHING OF ACTUAL SUBSTANCE – REAL SURPRISE THERE.

AT LEAST HILLARY STANDS FOR SOMETHING.

January 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Glenda

I am a liberal female – I would love to have a female in the Whitehouse – I admired and respected Bill as the President – and I think Hillary is a very intelligent woman – but there is just something about her demeanor that keeps me from supporting her. I have a large circle of friends – democrats, independents and republicans and not one of them will support her run for the Whitehouse

Personally I like Edwards and I like Biden – I think Edwards has what it takes to look out for the middle class and I think Biden has the experience needed – I will support whichever Democrat runs because I don't like or trust any of the Republicans – McCain is too old and Rudy is a crook with bad friends we don't want in Washington.

I'm sorry Hillary, I just can't support you – call it the X factor, there is just something about you that I feel turns off more people than it connects with.

January 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. Michele

I am moved by her honesty. I understand having strenght & resolve is a requirement of presidency, but at what cost do you remove human-ness from the equation?

January 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. Dorothy

When you take a good look at Hillary and how she has kept her house running and in order, not giving up, but getting stronger from all the problems thrown at her then she will be a very good President and will keep our country running and make it stronger everytime a problem is thrown at it. I VOTE FOR HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT.

January 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. Philip

Well Put Joel from Miami... If the people choose to put Obama as their democratic nomination choice, I will do something that I have NEVER done... Vote Republican.

January 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Marcel Sobottka

After having read what everybody wrote I thought that the video would be much worse than it was. Crying is sth. else for me....

January 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Say NO to Obama

Pfffft. So not impressed with the Repulicans here trying to smear Hillary so they can have Obama to whip in November.

January 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. Terry

Let's just all get back to work and just wait and see what happens tomorrow. This non-story will have no effect on the outcome. Good or bad.

January 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Franky, New York, NY

I'm sick of hearing she's acting. She's as much a woman with feelings as any of the other politicians out there applying for the job. I've NO doubt they've cried into their wives big shoulders or their pillows from time to time. Emotions are funny that way..when they're genuine, you don't PICK your moments, THEY pick their own moments.

I commend her for all the work she's done so far. She's aware of the uphill battle. But she's STILL the most qualified and as a man of minority status in this country and for personal reasons, I'm still more excited about our First Woman President, than I am about our First African-American President.

...especially, when she's more qualified to lead us into a rennaissance of strong country status!

Go Mrs. Clinton!

January 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Anthony

She is crying because she is losing.

January 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. Derrick Rogers

The media's treatment of this issue is an insult to women everywhere. Obama is the real con man. I know. He's my senator in Chicago and he's done NOTHING for us but flirt, smirk and scam deals to enrich himself and his wife.

January 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. Jeff Denver CO

Our founding fathers NEVER intended for a politician to be in power for decades. The whole bunch needs to adhere to term limits, 2 terms max then go back home to reap what they helped sow while in power. Hillary should take her tears and go home...she had her time as co-president.

January 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  18. Justin, Houston, TX

Just this morning, headlines state the Iranian Revolutionary Guard is in the Persian Gulf "harassing and provoking" our naval ships. The same Iranian Revolutionary Guard in the amendment that Obama derided Clinton for voting for. The same Iranian Revolutionary Guard that Obama said his judgement told him to skip the vote. How quickly our mistakes can come back to haunt us. This country is really ready to just hand the nomination to another inexperienced smooth talker. I guess nobody's paying attention to what's actually going on in the world – people must be burying thier heads in the sand or probably listening to one of his speeches. But I wonder is he gonna be able to speech away the threats that are looming right around the corner or will that decision be too tough and he'll just skip it too.

I have simply lost faith in America. I hope everyone remembers that the next time they apply for a job that it doesn't matter if you're the most qualified or best able to do it, just along as you show a winning smile and make false promises. It really is a sad commentary for our country when buzz words and popularity win out over true experience and commitment. Nobody can name one single warranted reason for their dislike of Hillary.

And you know it wouldn't be so disgusting if his country hadn't just lived the exact same thing 7 years ago. Bush made all the promises in the world of unity, togetherness, charachter, etc, etc. He said it didn't matter if he didn't have the right experience because he would have the best advisors in the world. Look where we are now. Wishing that we had elected that man that everyone thought was so cold, so arrogant or just simply wasn't likeable. Now Al Gore can't pay somebody to not like him.

My mom always would tell me – Those who do not learned from their history are doomed to repeat it.

January 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. Joe Blow

Thanks for setting women back 100 years Hilary.

"WAAHHHHH LOOK AT ME! I'M A GIRL AND I'M CRYING. WOMEN ARE EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE! WAHHHH!!! Pathetic.

January 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  20. Josh (Miami, FL)

"Crimes of Bill Clinton", Vince???? Haaaa. Are you being serious??? Please! How about the laundry list of crimes against humanity by Bush and Cheney????

Are you saying that Bush/Cheney's murdering of thousands of innocent people, supporting terrorist nations, leaving your own citizens to die in the wake of a hurricane and spying on your citizens year-round is on the same level as sleeping with someone else???

Bush/Cheney should have been impeached a long time ago.

Undoubtedly the Worst President and Administration in History.

January 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  21. LRMan

How disgusting! Staged, staged, staged. I bet the question was planted. It's interesting how the cameras were in just the right spot to catch this moment. I bet they even had to cut an onion under her nose to get her to tear up. This is so Clintonesque. I heard today the Bill was giving a speech and his cell phone rang and it was his darling wife. He ended the call by saying I love you. Keep me from throwing up. I am from Arkansas and we know these two fake folks well.

January 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Alex

When I was in college, it was tough...I paid for it myself, 4 years undergrad and 2 years of grad school....I ate pizza, I never exercised, and MAYBE I had enough money for a haircut....I served my country for 4 years in the US Army infantry...I was tired...dirty...it was tough and guess what? I NEVER once cried about it. Commander-in-Chief Mrs. Clinton? Not with my vote...not now, not ever. I hope the rest of America can see through your fluff.

January 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. Jon Jay

The more I see of Clinton, the more I like her. She is demonstrating guts, intelligence and perseverance.

On the other hand, the more I see of Obama, the more I realize how arrogant, smug and condescending he is. These are not the qualities of a supposed "uniter."

January 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. parforthecourse

ERIN

THANK YOU.

COME ON LADIES LET'S HEAR IT.

COME ON LADIES LET'S HEAR IT.

DO IT FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS

DEMAND THAT THEY RESPECT HER RIGHT TO RUN FOR THE PRESIDENCY.
    DEMAND THAT THEY RESPECT HER RIGHT TO RUN FOR THE PRESIDENCY.

DISLIKE HER, DO NOT VOTE FOR HER....BUT THINK ABOUT THE SEXIST COMMENTS HERE "PMS" "GO AND COOK SOMETHING UP FOR OBAMA AND EDWARDS" "WEAK"......THINK LADIES....THINK REAL HARD ABOUT WHAT IS BEHIND THESE COMMENTS....SEXISM PURE AND SIMPLE

January 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. Jerry

God Bless You Mrs. Clinton..... We know you love America (despite some of the American detractors). You will be the democratic nominee, God willing and you will have a chance to set things right in our democracy or else.....God help us all !!!

Good luck and God's speed Hillary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |