January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. Billy

Let them run each other down. Go Huckabee!!!

January 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Mike C

I sympathize with Mrs. Clinton's emotions after the effort she has put into the election; although, the emotions demonstrate exactly why we cannot afford to have her as President. We cannot have a President making decisions or falling into emotional responses when under pressure.

January 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Jermon Sims

Come on, she is pulling out all stopps now !!!, This country needs a leader, and not downing women cause my mother is one, our leader needs to be strong for us inside and out !!!!. The U.S need to see that confidence, an Obama has that face................Jermon

January 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Steve Donahue

Hillary reminds me of Queen Neffertiti of ancient Egypt. She was the first female in Egypt to have significant power and she almost ruined the Kingdom. Hillary will follow in her footsteps!

January 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. No Obama. No way.

Hey Josh - Obama doesn't have the guts and strength to even quit smoking cigarettes. How does he "expect to deal with the stresses of being president and he can't even handle the pressures of campaigning?"

January 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. mtboys

Give her a break. She's tough and brilliant. McCain has a temper tantrum and that is ok. What double standards. Shame on you all!

January 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Tony

Good for her! There is nothing wrong with being passionate...

January 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. John, OH

Reading many comments above, today I feel shame for being a democrat. It is one thing about supporting your candidate but these comments makes me sick. Many of you folks here are young Obama supports and you probably have no idea how hard it is to campaign for women her age. Campaign 18-20 hours a day, taking questions straight for 4 hours, will make many people emotional and there is nothing wrong with that. Calling names like Meryl Streep from "Manchurian Candidate”, crocodile tears, acting job is not the way of democratic party. If you young folks who are making such comments are the future of this party which I voted for 30 years than I guess we will be no difference than republicans soon.

January 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. Gobama, NY, NY

DID HILARY FLIP-FLOP?

FOR THE WAR?
    STILL FOR THE WAR, HILARY? LOL

January 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. Harry, NY NY

She is breaking down. You can get personal without getting to the point of tears.

I am trying to picture the president of Iran making Hillary cry. Sorry but this is where it gets a bit un-presidential. You need to be able to convey that you are personally attached to something while not going over the line of being emotional.

To me this is a bit too much.

And to Josh in Miami. Maybe its time for her and her husband to retire and get a job like the rest of us.

To me, the Clintons just don't know how to retire gracefully. Its like watching a pro-player be unable to admit that its time to let someone else lead.

January 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. Ben

Seriously people... Do you really now is the time to hire another untested president? Obama seems like a nice guy. I would love to debate about the good and bad things in the world, but a Chief Executive needs to be able to get tough and make changes, not simply ask for changes...
    Bush thought he got a mandate from the voters after his second term, he still hasn't accomplished anything. I still would love to have a beer with him though!

January 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Anthony

Any man who would cry would be seen as a wimp, can you imagine someone asking Romney how does he choose what tie he will wear in the morning and he started babbling all over the place?

The media would rip him a new one!

January 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Paul

TO Jeff, Boston MA
    We better vote Rep.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. disgusted with peoples ignorance

I find a lot of the comments here to be sexist, ignorant and just plain malicious.

I totally agree with Lyn from South Africa, when she says... "I wish I was an American to be able to vote for the next president, I think most of you dont even appreciate how advanced and professional your political system is, what worries me is that the average American has the audacity to call someone like Hillary Clinton uneducated! Do you even read up on what these candidates believe in and are all about. Irrespective of your personal feelings towards a woman president – think with your brains for once and elect a competent person with years of experience – and that can only be HR Clinton."

Most of the anti-Clinton comments here are clinging to her display of emotion...over her hair????...How ignorant !, you people need to master 'reading comprehension'. She did not have a 'breakdown' but merely displayied emotion, and it wasn't over her 'hair' you ignorant fools, it was over her love for this country and the wonderful opportunities this country has to offer and her fear for this country moving backwards...here it is.

Hillary said: "You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards,"

Also, actions speak louder than words...most of the candidates talk a lot of fluff, but Hillary has proven time and time again to bring positive change to our beautiful country.

Some of the best leaders in History have been women...Do any of you know the story of Queen Elizabeth...Her father was adamant about having a male heir to lead his country. His son died...eventually Elizabeth inherited the throne and the country prospered more than ever.

Think with your heads people, make your judgements and come to your conclusions based on facts and truth...NOT SLANDER.

January 7, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. Josh (Miami, FL)

BTW, it is critical for us all to keep this Impeach Bush/Cheney article/report by George McGovern from dying out. Please see McGovern's article in the Washington Post, or cites to it on CNN and other major news networks. Not only is the impeachment TOTALLY justified from a legal standpoint and long-overdue, but it will destroy any possibility of a Republican winning the general election in '08. This would also revenge the absurd Clinton impeachment. THIS STORY MUST NOT FALL TO THE BACK PAGES YET AGAIN.

January 7, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  16. Trang, Fremont, CA

Hillary,

With you, it's 'I.. I... I... me... me... me...'

With Obama, it's 'we... we... we...'

And Obama just draws contrast, he doesn't attack you and you are already crying. I don't think you can make it, Hillary.

We are tired of the attacks, and you don't seem to get it. As I said, attacks will backfire.

January 7, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. Ben

What will all of you do when Obama asks Edwards (the wannabe poor brat) to be his VP... OMG

January 7, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. Diane

DecFario – how many Presidential campaigns have you ran in since you seem to know so much about people's emotions?

January 7, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

WJR: Unfortunately we can't give the presidency to Hillary because she deserves it, I like Hillary also, and yes she is human. But don't let Obama's name distort your view of him, he had nothing to do with 911 just like you and I didn't. And yes, Obama wants to change the fears you have that he will never let this happen to our great country again.

January 7, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. RCH

I agree she is passionate ... not about love of country, or what she can do to "enable" change ... she is a woman who has a passion for title and ultimate power! I can't believe there are people who can't see this and succumb to the falsity of her words and actions.

January 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. d, Chicago, IL

I will be ready to cry on day 1!
    I have more experience crying than anyone else.

Vote for me!

January 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Mati

Some posts here are shameful. So far Americans have demonstrated ignorance and inability to think logically and respond to real issues of these campaigns. The worship of Obama (a left-wing politician who manipulates the crowds) is an embarrassment. You are impressed by his empty words. Why can't Hillary get emotional? When she is tough, is bad. When she keeps the distance, is bad. When she has emotion in her voice, its bad. Who writes all these posts? I cannot imagine that the American people is not compassionate and fair.

January 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. connie floyd, crockett,texas

I am absolutely scared half to death that these independents are going to mess the nomination process. I really think that these independents are republican lites and are crossing over to cast a vote for someone they know has absolutely no chance of winning the nomination. The republicans are vicious. Obama has moved the kids and got them into the mix. They do not have the political experience it takes to select a nominee and what is going to happen to our country if we get another republican in.
    Hillary has been disected to point of death. I think its high time the people of this country rise up and not let the media run this country. We must select the right candidate and that candidate is HILLARY.

January 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. The Truth, Anywhere, USA

Ok, Lyn in South Africa,

Why don't you worry about your own crazy little country and leave the business up to America. You cannot talk about anything. You don't even live in this country. I am tired of all this woman stuff. I have nothing against women and I believe there is a stronger woman out there. Madeline Albright, Margaret Thatcher maybe? HRC is trying to make it seem that since she is a woman we should vote for her. Not once have you seen Obama tout the fact he is African American/Caucasian American or mixed, however you want to put it. He runs off the sheer fact that he can and will provide positive change if given the chance to show and prove. Bill Clinton was a nobody when he ran. He turned out to be one of our greatest presidents. Even though he made mistakes he still was a good president. She should run off of being the right person and not the right woman. If Barak kept pushing the Black thing he would get nowhere. The reason he got 93% of Iowans to vote for him is becasue he is not polarizing and he appealed to all people not just blacks. So for hilarry to keep pushing this "we need a woman" crap is so wrong. I would be happy with a midget in office if I knew he or she would do the job. See, she is polarizing, pitting men against women. No some women on here think sexism plays a part. Stop getting so emotional and stick with the issues. Americans come in all flavors. So, get back to the issues. FYI-Obama is in his third year as senator. The truth is that some people will be for HRC and some will be for Obama. This back and forth between Hillary and the other candidates is not good. We cannot go into the national election with bad blood between the clinton folks and the barak and edwards folks. That will split the Democratic party and the republicans will win. We have to stay united. And, the only person speaking of unity is Obama while HRC is having temper tantrums and crying. I don't care what anyone says, crying makes a person look weak. If she were at a funeral fine. But, in the face of this country, no president wants the people to see them break down. At that point the people will have lost respect and trust in that president. The president should always stay strong in the face of the people. I am sure the hardest presidents broke down completely at least once but behind closed doors. I am an Obama supporter, but I like the clintons as well. I would like for Obama to win but at this point, it is too early to get arrogant. he has to stay humble because that is what the american people want to see, a little bit of humility and humbleness. I ask a question, how the hell are we as a party going to beat the republicans if our we are at each others throats? it seems that Mrs. Clinton has not gotten the memo.

January 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. Neal

She's cracking already? Oh my goodness, this thing hasn't even started! I question her strength now.

January 7, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |