January 7th, 2008

Clinton gets emotional at New Hampshire stop

Watch Obama react to Bhutto's death

Watch Clinton get emotional at a New Hampshire stop Monday.

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire (CNN) - Hillary Clinton became visibly emotional at a New Hampshire campaign event today after a friendly question from a voter.

At the close of a Portsmouth campaign stop, Marianne Pernold-Young, 64, asked Clinton: "How do you do it? How do you keep up... and who does your hair?"

Clinton began noting that she had help with her hair on "special days," and that she drew criticism on the days she did not. Then she added: "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I just didn't, you know, passionately believe it was the right thing to do.

"You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don't want to see us fall backwards," she said, her voice breaking a bit. The audience applauded.

"This is very personal for me, it's not just political, it's [that] I see what's happening, we have to reverse it," she said emotionally, adding that some "just put ourselves out there and do this against some pretty difficult odds.

"But some of us are right and some of us are wrong. Some of us ready and some of us are not. Some of us know what we will do on day one, and some of us really haven't thought that through enough...

"So as tired as I am - and I am. And as difficult as it is to try and keep up what I try to do on the road, like occasionally exercise and try to eat right - it's tough when the easiest food is pizza - I just believe so strongly in who we are as a nation. So I'm gonna do everything I can and make my case and you know the voters get to decide."

The New York senator is under pressure after some weekend surveys showed opponent Barack Obama with a sudden double-digit edge, with less than a day to go until the New Hampshire primary.

At a New Hampshire campaign event, presidential rival John Edwards told reporters he was unaware of Clinton's emotional reaction and would not respond to it, but added, according to CNN's Dugald McDonnell: "I think what we need in a commander in chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are a tough business, but being President of the United States is also a very tough business. And the President of the United States is faced with very, very difficult challenges every single day, difficult judgments every single day."

– CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. andy

Im a Latino in california and from here in the west coast the latino community is still standing firm with Mrs Clinton and it just makes us so mad that small states are able to say they will deterimine the out come when we still haven't spoken ! when will Obama adress the illgegal immigration issue publicly ? he wont but other will !

January 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. Bill, Milwaukee, WI

I think the Democrats have found an even newer way to lose an election: support a gospel drivel preacher, and then verbally destroy anyone, in their own party, who opposes him!

You folks are the divisive ones; you folks are so full of hate that this country will NEVER come together with you in charge...

That is why you will LOSE and LOSE Big Time!

January 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. Jen Cedar Falls, IA

Hillary loved Iowa and us Iowans until she didn't win Iowa.
    Then she back-stabbed us to the NY paper and said IA's irrelevant and not legit.

She's all for illegals getting driver's licenses until America scorned her for it, then she decided she's against it.

She voted for the war, then against it.

She loves black people, unless they're running against her for office.

She needed to get emotional in front of a crowd because she would be dangerous if she didn't get this anger out of her somehow. Can you imagine the fallout here if she doesn't win? OMG, people will PAY!

Everything she does in front of people she hopes brings her votes.

It's now:
    "Poor Hillary, we'll vote for you since you cried" ? OR is it:
    "Better vote for Hillary or we'll ALL pay for her anger"!?

Gimme a break!
    This is for the Presidency for cryin' out loud! (pun intended)

Every single one of the candidates running for President, Rep & Dem absolutely LOVE this country. You Hillary are not any more special than the rest of them. You do NOT love this country more than everyone else does.

You just found an opportunity to turn on the tears for the pity vote.

Sorry, I don't think it worked.

January 7, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Anthony

Now come on, some women do indeed cry to try and gain sympathy, to suggest otherwise is not being honest.

And another thing, when did Obama become a black guy? I thought he was a biracial?

January 7, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. Mark-Tulsa, OK

Obama...has anyone noticed that this country is more concerned about voting for presidents much the same way we vote for American Idol? I so NO ONE that represents the average working man/woman in this country.

Is anyone concerned about the selling out of this country ? losing sovereignty?

January 7, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. E.,Chicago, Illinois

Only people with manners, respect and good character can appreciate a human emotion, that, undoubtedly, Hillary Clinton did not stage to win sympathy. All of you, who demostrated in your own words, the consistency of hatred and bitterness, that is coming from a supposedly "time-for-change" supporters of Obama and others, you can tell, the world has gone haywired. Is this the American you are proud of? The country is great place to be in, but when you see people write things this way and support the candidate they want, is a scary thing to be on that same side of your table. I am glad there is a teary Hillary who knew a future of a great country is at stake here. You will see the reality of it all, once the country is in the hands of the wrong man.

January 7, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. an American

Dear Ms Clinton,

I think you care more about yourself than us. Because you are afraid of the media and have not exposed Obama. I am not talking about the fact that he is religious belief as a muslim. That is none of our ( American) business. What I am talking about is what he stands for.

In illinois, when the late term abortion efforts fail, and the child was born alive, the doctors were instructed to leave it alone till the baby dies. Even Senators who are considered the left most ( like Barbara boxer) voted for a bill to stop this. Obama did nto want to stop this and tried everything he can to leave it as it is. Abortion is a term that the country debates. But leaving a baby to die.. that is being an Animal.

So if you want to care about your image and not bring this up, so be it. It will be brought up in the general elections anyway. You loose an opportunity for your party to gain control.

January 7, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. Bill

To all those trying to play the sexism/gender card, don't we have to pick one option? Should America treat Hillary equally or not? The woman's movement was about EQUAL treatment, wasn't it? It's wonderful that a woman is a legitimate candidate for President but that doesn't mean she gets a pass on having to deal appropriately with the heat.

After all, we're discussing the race for PRESIDENT here. One of the reasons we have campaigns is to see how PRESIDENTIAL a person is and whether they can stand up to pressure or not.

For the first time in this race, Hillary has faced pressure in the past two days. It'll be up to voters as to whether they think the explosion in the debate Saturday night and this latest episode are Presidential or not.

January 7, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  9. GP

The monkery of Hillary's emtions is sickening...Americans are easily impressive. Can anyone tell me what Obama is going to change and how?

January 7, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Tim

Obviously from the responses, many of you are descendents of the pheasants that burned Joan of Ark.

January 7, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. Randolph Monroe, Chicago

There are 2 kinds of people that can cry on cue, actors and con artist, and Hillary isn't an actor.

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Paul Cooper

Do we really want a president who has to cry in order to win an election.
    wahhh... wahhh... I want to be president... wahhh... wahhh... what a cry baby.... just imagine her on the negotiating table with Putin...

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  13. Len

The myth that both Hillary and Bill Clinton created, is exactly that: a myth.

The arrogance of these two people of assuming that they are defacto winners, is beyond reason. Hillary is a very ambitious person, not ambisious in a good way, but she is ruthless, inconsiderate, and wants to control every single situation.

Hillary would not be a good thing for this country.

Her flexibility on different positions is to get the acceptance of the voters by saying what people want to hear.

Hillary Clinton should not be elected presidente of the US

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  14. Anthony

I just love these people stating they will vote republican if Obama is the nominee.

That is something many of us saw coming a loooooong time ago

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  15. Diane

That makes me dislike her EVEN MORE! Why would anyone vote for this woman? Please don't tell me it's just because she's a woman... There have got to be better people out there than her!

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  16. Peeg

The problems in this country are due in great part to the ignorance of people such as the majority of the people who commented above rather than qualified candidates such as Hillary Clinton. They're the kinds of people who got us in this mess by voting for the ego-maniacal administration in office today.

Great comment "Disgusted With Peoples Ignorance!!!"

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. Dave

A fine example of Global Warming.

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. Joe, Wilmington DE

Either another load of on-cue crap, or when the going gets tough...cry. This country, and the world, deserves better leadership. I look forward to casting my vote for Sen. Obama on Feb. 5th.

January 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  19. Ming Sun

Be stronge anytime, anywhere and anyhow!!! Hillary. I wish I could write to you as woderful as I can and tell you all the good things that I wish you. Nobody knows in the future. If they are going to make the biggest mistake, that is a really tragic choice!!!...

January 7, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Jason, Wilmette, IL

I don't think it was phony.

She's tired, she spent years planning to run, she thinks she's entitled to the nomination, and it's all falling apart. That has to be very tough.

However, just because someone gets emotional when it hits them that they are going to lose isn't a reason to vote for them.

January 7, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. Fonn

THIS JUST A WAY TO PLAY OUT THE MEDIA 0UTLETS FOR PASSION AND GET SOME PEOPLE TO FEEL SOFT AND GIVE HER A "MERCY VOTE" . THERE IS NO "MERCY VOTE" FOR THE COMMANDER IN CHEIF OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN AND THHE LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD. ITS A GAME OF RESOLVE, STRENGTH AND COMPOSURE. IT YOU CANNOT HANDLE IT, LET IT FREE, YOU CAN DO A LOT FOR THE NATION WITHOUT BEING THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. HILLARY, GO MAKE GOOD LEGISTATIONS IN THE SENATE BY UNDOING THE VOTE FOR THE IRAQ WAR.

January 7, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. leslie

i have never been a fan of hers but she at least seemed to have a thick skin. now this is throwing me for a loop. if she can't stand up to the stress now, how is she going to be able to run this country for four years? being passionate is one thing – breaking down is something entirely different. i haven't completely picked a candidate to side with but ... this doesn't bode well for her i'm afraid.

January 7, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Jack

Edwards is a jerk. What is this crap about needing a Commander in Chief with strength? I considered voting for Edwards at one time but I am so glad that I switched to Hillary. I hope she stays in the race regardless of the outcome in NH. I hope Elizabeth explains to John the importance of emotions.

January 7, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. Woz Los Gatos, CA

C'mon, am I the only one who found her to be charming?

January 7, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. Harry, NY NY

Reshma, then can you explain to me where "35 years of experience" comes from?

What offices/experience has she had other than the US Senate. I think that is where the "fake" part comes in. Its just unbelievable to list that number then only have US Senator from NY as your only listed publicly elected office.

Is it just me?